Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on October 4, 2013
At the time I bought the Voyager lantern, I already owned the Black Diamond Orbit and Apollo lanterns. At its highest setting, the Voyager is brighter than either of them, plus it can also be used as a flashlight. If I could only have one of these three Black Diamond lanterns--and all of them are very good lanterns--I'd choose the Voyager, hands down.
on March 27, 2013
Let me preface this review that I own about 4 Black Diamond Apollo lanterns, which looks very similar to this, but minus the stand up legs. The Apollo has a very nice feel, the sliding 'globe' clear piece has a very nice sliding 'bushing' or something to keep the sliding action very smooth, even after quite a bit of usage. I have given out a few more as gifts! I got the Voyager because it had some very similar features/specifications, a little larger than the Orbit, but with the benefit of being able to be used as a flashlight. I carry this with me in my backpack as I travel. The sliding mechanism doesn't quite feel as quality as the Apollo (thus my 1 star reduction), but the brightness and overall usability is quite good. I miss the legs from the Apollo, but it does save on weight and helps to keep the size a bit smaller. It still has the ability to dim/brighten the light by pressing and holding the power button. Overall, it still is a very good quality product and performs quite well.
on May 20, 2013
The Black Diamond Voyager Lantern is a GREAT little lantern. It is super lightweight (I think the batteries weigh more than the lantern itself does)and is wonderful to light the tent. My son heard a noise in the night and I turned it on and set it to the dimmest setting and it was still fine for the rest of the weekend. I am sure that it will be good for another weekend or two as the summer progresses. The fact that it just uses 4 AA batteries rather the 8 D cells that my old Coleman used saves a LOT of money AND weight. I really like the split rings, and that the globe slides down to make it even more compact.

I have already recommended this to some of my friends, and I found out about it from another scouter friend who has the Orbit model (I like that this Voyager has the flashlight that can illuminate under the unit).
on February 13, 2013
I just received my Black Diamond Voyager Lantern in the mail yesterday. Right out of the package the lantern felt pretty solidly constructed. It takes four AA batteries and pumps out light in all directions. Another feature that I like is the battery power indicator to let you know ho much power is left in the batteries. I have been using a candle lantern in my tent, but had a friend burn down his with his candle lantern. This will be much safer. I also have the smaller Orbit lantern which I like for the compact size and light weight. This lantern is a little more bulkier and heavier but is worth it when it comes to lumens and versatility.
on December 24, 2013
Aside from the specifications already listed, it is the function of this lantern that make it a present class leader. The redesign elevated a good lamp to great.

Pros: battery gauge, collapses that prevents accidental activation and halves the size, great battery life thanks to the use of any AA batteries ( I use rechargable Sanyo Eneloops) and a fully adjustable one button dimmer switch, rubberized base, flashlight integrated (very floody), durable, nice even light from frosted globe, great stainless double hook for hanging, weight with Eneloop batteries 8.4 oz, reasonable price.

Cons: trying to think of one.

Better light transmission than a 3 D cell Rayovac Sportsmans lantern.
on December 4, 2014
Good lantern, just had to return it because the newer version of this lantern have 140 lumens output.
on November 28, 2014
Took camping. Very bright for how small, though if you have room for a bigger one (in luggage/car), you might prefer that. We needed 1 other lantern. If you are backpacking, this would be ideal as it folds up so small and is really bright enough for most applications. We also use this in the closet at home (light broken). It is great for that! With the bottom and top light on simultaneously, it really lights up the whole space. 4.5" closed, 6.5" open. Top 2.5" dia, bottom 2" dia. Only used these 2 ways, but haven't had to change batteries yet
on March 29, 2014
i have had this for about 9 months, and works great. I use it camping, and around the house. Much more durable than any flashlight i have owned before, and the different modes of operation (lantern, flashlight, lantern with two brightness settings) make it super convenient. I have even used it under the kitchen sink so i could see as i did some plumbing work there. The fact that it is so compact is a big plus for camping/hiking, and when working in tight spaces. Very pleased with this product and it is my first go-to lantern flashlight anytime i need one.
on October 9, 2014
Great little lantern. I recently took this on a trip to Big Bend and it was great for the campsite since no fires are allowed. Sure there are brighter lanterns out there but for the price it is a good deal. I do recommend this.
on April 22, 2014
Pros:
Very bright
Lightweight and compact
Great for hanging in a tent

Cons:
Sliding mechanism could be better
Pretty weak as a flashlight