4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing mystery amidst the snow
Published on October 12, 2011 by S. Warfield

3.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE
Published on January 18, 2012 by D. C. James

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing mystery amidst the snow, October 12, 2011
This review is from: Black Diamond Death (Sloane Monroe Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
For an author's first book, Black Diamond Death (A Sloane Monroe Novel), is one that drew me in with the prologue. The murder victim, a real estate agent in Park City, Utah, is skiing and as she slowly dies by some unknown method, she describes how she feels before she goes down before a tree, dying an unpleasant death. Investigators and the police wrap it up and declare it an accidental death. There is one problem, though. Charlotte Halliwell was an expert skier with medals to prove it.

Charlotte's sister, Audrey, comes to Sloane Monroe, who is a private investigator, to ask her to look into her sister's death, because she thinks it was no accident that took her sister away from her. She thinks it's murder. Sloane takes on the case, and thinks about her own sister who was murdered not that long ago, and the killer is still free.

I like Sloane. She's independent and not afraid to take on a dangerous situation by herself if she thinks it will help someone else. The other characters in the book are interesting and original, and sometimes bring a break of humor to the search for a murderer. Sloane's friend, Maddie, is a great character, always giving advice to Sloane. The other character who adds a nice little sidekick for Sloane is Lord Berkeley, better known as Boo, her dog.

The theme of this novel surrounds the real estate business in Park City, and most of the characters who pop in and out of scenes in the story are involved in real estate or else they're the police. I had no idea who the perpetrator was until the end of the book when it was revealed.

Black Diamond Death moves at a steady pace, but not a frantic one. It's a comfortable pace and there are a lot of tense situations in the book. I've downloaded the next one in the Sloane Monroe series, Sinnerman, because I enjoyed the first book and I have the feeling I'm going to find an even better novel with the second one. Four stars for Black Diamond Death! Recommended for mystery fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE, January 18, 2012
I really like the main characters.....although flip flops in the snow are too contrived for my taste, especially when she has things to say about other characters' affectations? I liked the interactions and the story was pretty good, definitely worth the time and purchase. I just downloaded the next book in the series. Bottom-line is, a very good first book with great promise for the future.....I think the author will tighten up her writing, get over her tendency to try to be a bit cute; she has some great characters she'll feel more and more at home with and won't have to force on us because we already like them ......also, maybe she needs to pay a little more attention to the flow of the plot - she left some things hanging a bit long for my thinking...like wondering about the guy leaving the note in the door, who the brother was, and she should have known about Cooper's daughter for Pete's sake. Anyway, it was an enjoyable read and I'm look forward to more from this author.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time., October 30, 2013
Sandra B. (Oxford, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
Obviously I was interested in the premise of the book and looked forward to an enjoyable read. I did finish it, but it left me with an unsatisfying, empty feeling. Very unusual for me to have that opinion about a book. I expect more for my time and money and can usually sort out what I will not enjoy...for one reason or another. It was a very lifeless read. I am so disappointed that I can no longer trust the customer review numbers. I now go to the lower star numbers and pay close attention to the wording of the reviews. This book is a good example.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, September 2, 2011
I really enjoyed this book. The storyline moved along at the perfect pace and the characters were interesting and sympathetic. Cheryl Bradshaw is a gifted, witty writer and she interjects humor throughout. I can really imagine this being turned into a TV series - Hollywood, watch out! Looking forward to the next installment!

5.0 out of 5 stars I just finished reading the book from front to back in one sitting, and OH MY !!!, July 13, 2011
I just finished reading the book from front to back in one
sitting...and OH MY !!! what darn good read that was.

I felt like I was running along beside our heroine Sloane, trying to
keep up with her. Mostly due to Cheryl's use of descriptive
adjectives. Allowing the reader to mentally visualize the smells,
look and ambiance of the scene. After a few chapters, you soon find
yourself right beside our heroine, eagerly flicking to the next page.

Chapter 50/51 for me was the turning point, when the story line took
a whole new twist. Great stuff Cheryl !!! had me going there.

I also chuckled when interviewing "W" she goes, "I'll take business
for $1000" I laughed out loud.

NOW all I want to know is ????? what happened to Nick ???? Will
he be back in Sinnerman ? or has he been "offed" by Sloane ?

Please keep Maddie around and of course the adorable Berkley

Can not wait for the next book in the series...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, October 25, 2011
Sorry but this was a little to cliched and predictable for me. I almost didn't bother to finish it. I really didn't care who did it by the end and the ending felt contrived and like it was an afterthought. Nice scenery descriptions but I lost track of all of the characters who came and went.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Read, August 2, 2011
From start to finish this book was great. It has a strong female lead, great descriptions that make you feel like you are there in the setting. I loved all the characters which were equally described to make you feel like you knew them. The twists and turns of this book didn't just come on the slopes. It was a fun, easy read and I can't wait for the next Sloane novel to come. Terrific job by a first time author. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Page-Turner Murder Mystery!!, March 11, 2011
As soon as I started reading this book, Black Diamond Death, I was intrigued and hooked! For this being Cheryl's first book, I was very impressed--she has quite a gift for writing! The story-line is great, you don't know who the killer is until the end, like it should be of course(!!), but leading up to it is so much fun to read! A little bit of romance, mixed with mystery, good for all ages! I couldn't stop reading this, it's very catching and intriguing, it grabbed my attention right from the beginning in the Prologue.

Can't wait for book #2!! Way to go my friend! You have the gift!!

1.0 out of 5 stars yawn, May 18, 2013
Susan "NC Nana" (Middle of nowhere, NC) - See all my reviews
Another "you too can be a writer!" offering featuring the usual pedestrian, formulaic plot, cookie-cutter characters, and feeble attempts at humor, made more than typically annoying by repeated errors ("door jam"). And yawn again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ho hum, June 1, 2012
Black Diamond Death (A Sloane Monroe Novel, Book One) is a light-duty mystery. Fiction, yes. Novel, no. The plot is straightforward and prosaic, with little to grip you along the way. The resolution is ok, but it arrives out of left field and is at least half-contrived. Characterization is weak: even the heroine's personality is indistinct, and the other characters are pure cardboard. The writing is fair, but uninspired. There are a few minor bloopers, such as confusion about when to use possessive nouns and a few distracting cases of misusing a word.

On the plus side, profanity and sex are kept at a mild level. On the other hand, there's a mixed-up, pot-smoking boyfriend who plays no essential role except to contribute a little gratuitous vice.

I'm sufficiently underwhelmed that I don't plan to read other books by this author.

Rate and Discover Movies