Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black Diamond Momentum AL Climbing Harness - Men's Cool Gray Medium
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 17, 2008
I bought this harness when I was doing mainly gym climbing and it worked reasonably well in that role... There's nothing partiularly special about the harness other than the $. It's pretty comfortable to sit in (not the most comfortable, but decent), the gear loops have held up very well, and it's fully adjustable. I recently took it out on a full day of trad climbing with at least 8 rappels and it still held up to the job quite well. If you aren't doing a ton of long routes or specialized climbing, this is it. At 33" in waist, I'm just over the center of the adjustment range for the medium.
11 comment| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2014
Good harness. I'm not into rock climbing like many of the reviews. I am a landscaper and do tree work as well. Thus the reason for this harness. Works great, comfortable sitting in it for lengths of time (200lb guy), and is very secure. I will agree with other reviews tho, order smaller than you think because they run big. Reference---- I am 6'0", 208 lbs, with a 33" waist and I ordered a Medium which fit nicely with room to spare.
VINE VOICEon April 1, 2009
I bought this harness after recently getting into indoor climbing and getting tired of the rental harnesses (it didn't take long). I really love it -- it's lightweight, extremely strong, and reasonably comfortable when I'm hanging from it, trying to get my grip back on the wall after coming off. The fit is good, the padding is comfortable, and the gear loops are quite strong. I recently brought my camera with me to the gym and wanted some photos of friends climbing the walls. I lashed my camera to one of the gear loops and climbed to the top of an adjacent wall to get pictures. The camera is a Canon EOS 5D Mk II with vertical grip and 24-105 f/4L lens - several pounds worth of camera hanging from the harness and gear loop. No problems!

There's also a strong fabric rear loop that I'm hanging my chalk bag from, equidistant to both arms.

So it's a comfortable, strong harness. Surely strong enough to handle my 185-lb * 9.8m/s^2. :-) And I fall a lot, so it's been tested!

I bought the women's "Primrose AL" version for my girlfriend, which she loves just as much as I love mine.
on November 22, 2013
This harness rocks! Everything you need for a bargain. A quick note on sizing. I am 6' and was about 190 lbs with a 33 waist when I bought this (in a Large) and I was already at the tightest point of the waist belt. I went with a Large because I have fairly muscular legs (squats) and wanted to give them some room, but I tighten them too to the tightest extent!

I now weight 178 pounds and really regret not buying a Medium, as the Large is now fairly loose even when tightened to a maximum in mainly the waist, but also the legs.

So if you are between two sizes, I recommend sizing down, the worst thing that would happen is your harness looks a little offcenter, but at least you will be snug and comfortable on your falls.
on January 10, 2012
There are several problems with this harness. First, it is not comfortable for me. The harness is painful even while just hanging from it while planning my moves. Second, it is not very durable. The belay loop and the fabric on the leg loops are a bit fuzzy after just one afternoon at the gym. On the plus side, the harness is very light, it does not restrict my movement at all, and is very comfortable to walk around in, but I buy a harness for its climbing performance, not its hiking performance. I upgraded to a BD Big Gun harness after using this once and am glad I did. Also be aware that the sizing is off. My 33 inch waist is on the smaller end of the adjustments of a medium harness.
on February 23, 2009
I purchased this harness after doing some research. I'm fairly new to rock climbing and wanted a quality harness with plenty of adjustment. First off this harness is built very well with fantastic materials. I read something about someone complaining about the gear loops getting in the way when walking. I'm not sure if they revised the design or not, but I can't hit them even if I try to alter my normal walking pattern.

Very lightweight, and because its so adjustable I don't even know I have it on which is great when I'm just bouldering at the local indoor gym.

Highly recommended!!
on October 29, 2013
I bought this for one of those crazy seminars where you end up climbing a bunch of poles and walking on ropes and whatnot. I'm not a pro climber, or even a beginner climber...in fact, not even a big fan of heights...so take this review in that context.

I fell off twice, and as you can see, I didn't die.

As I'm not a pro, I can't tell whether this is the most comfortable harness ever, however I did forget I was wearing it, including when I rode my motorcycle after the events. Since I'm not accustomed to these things at all, I'd say this is a good thing.
on June 16, 2012
This was my first harness and it has served me quite well, but it does have a few limitations that come with the price. It is fairly thick and bulky, and the lack of speed buckles makes it tedious to take on and off. I recommend getting a version other than the AL to get elastic leg loops. Adjustable leg loops don't add anything unless you have very thick legs, and they gradually loosen making it yet another point of failure you have to make sure is double-backed. The current Black Diamond Momentum SA Climbing Harness has speed buckles and adjustable leg loops, but the leg loops have a variation on speed buckles as well (trakFIT as BD calls it), and I would recommend that over the Momentum AL if you want a cheap harness.
on May 16, 2015
Won't even reach up past my butt. Its largest size is listed as supporting 39 inch, but won't pass my butt, which is just barely past my 38 in waist. Oh well. Harnesses seem to be either very adjustable, or not adjustable at all, and while I was within 36-39 in, I found I needed more room to clear my butt. No sell.

A note, as I didn't buy from Amazon: Some sellers will let you return items like these for free due to fitment. That's nice, unless you have purchased the largest item and it still doesn't fit. Then say hello to restocking fees. This is not a slight agaisnt the seller. Just try to make your way to a brick and mortar store, or try a friend's, or something first, or be aware of where/who you're buying from. :( Ended up going with the Petzl Corax, which fits.
on January 18, 2013
I never bought a climbing harness before, in fact I never rappel before. I did some climbing when I was younger, barefoot, no harness, no nothing just my arms and legs on coconut trees.

I live in a high rise condo and my legs are weak and have trouble walking. My arms are still good and strong. I keep thinking that if there is some type of an emergency and the elevators don't work or the stairs are blocked, I may not survive the emergency. Even if the stairs were not blocked I won't make it with my weak legs down 12 floors.

So I bought this harness and other rappelling equipment and plan on seeking professional instructions on rappelling.

This harness fits me well. I have 42 waist and selected XX Large. Very light and easy to put on, well constructed. I had thought that it would be heavier and the materials would be put together using metal snaps or something like it. They are put together with some special stitching and I believe a strong nylon material thread. I will trust this harness based on my observation and the reviews.

Price I think is very good when compared to other harness. Made in Bataan, Philippines site of World War 2 military history. I did my coconut climbing in the Philippines a long time ago.