5.0 out of 5 stars Black Diamond Sprinter -- great running lamp
I've had a couple of cheaper headlamps in the past and tended not to wear them because they were either uncomfortable or unbalanced (too much weight up front) when running. So, when looking for this lamp, there were several things that I absolutely wanted:

Published on October 22, 2012 by Brad Tate

2.0 out of 5 stars No more headlamp...what happened to the glue!!
I've used the light periodically over the last year...until now. The glue or whatever held the wire from the front light to the back no longer holds the wire in place. The delicate connections inside the back piece are no longer connected.

The rear light still works and charges however I no longer have a light to see what's in front of me. It got two stars...
Published 14 days ago by Chad

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Diamond Sprinter -- great running lamp, October 22, 2012
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)

* Light weight/comfortable fit (maybe that should be two things, but for my purposes, I've considered them together)
* Bright but adjustable (angle and brightness)
* Rechargeable (I won't wear this on long, multi-day hiking adventures -- I needed something that could comfortably and reliably go on, up to, 3 hour runs) -- the 2032 battery powered lamps tend to need the batteries replaced pretty frequently and the lamps with larger batteries are just bulkier than I was comfortable with for running
* Wanted a rear light for safety.

The Sprinter, met all of these requirements. On longer runs, this lamp is comfortable to the point of hardly noticing it's there (except for the bright bit of light in front of me). The light is bright and can be adjusted (dimmed). I haven't found that I've needed it full strength, though it has the battery life to last for just about any run, even full bright (Black Diamond claims 6hrs at full). I never have to change batteries -- just set it on its charger before bed and pull it off before heading out in the am (Black Diamond claims 5hrs to charge). And, finally, the small red light on the back adds an extra bit of safety out on the roads. I have no real complaints with this lamp. It costs a little more than I'd hoped to spend, but it's comfortable, easy to adjust to fit and use, and does it's job beautifully. Oh, and I was recently caught out in a heavy downpour. As advertised, it is indeed waterproof.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ( and Perfect) Running lamp on the market, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
I live in the Northwest were poor visibility weather is only exceeded by terrible drivers. As I am running to improve my health getting killed by a biker or car would seem somewhat sad. Yes thanks, I guess funny or ironic as well.

This thing is small, lightweight and illuminates the darkest trails in pitch black conditions. Light has an adjustable tilt that can illuminate trail floor or further out depending on the terrain. I run on a trail and love the faces of bikers when they realize my little light is brighter than their car battery handlebar mounted version. Well if they can see, usually they are just blinded which results in what I call "Squinty mole face". There is no light this size that is brighter or that you would want to be brighter for running. You can even dim it if desired, the squinty mole face bikers will be thankful.

The rear blinking red light is also great. Unfortunately it does not make a sound when moving in reverse but it is highly visible even for terrible Seattle drivers in rainy poor visibility conditions. You can turn it off if desired. I personally wear it with red light blinking indoors to announce the fact I intend on going for a run, (my wife does not know I can turn it off).

Since it is rechargeable I save a lot of money on batteries. Have not tested the life of the charge to the limit but I have not really had to. This also contributes to it being light weight, I usually forget I have it on.

Even if I bring it on hikes I likely could get by with one charge. If you are into long camping trips without access to a recharge there are other diamondback versions of this that would be better for you (Bulkier but battery operated).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headlamp - attacked on two consecutive days by owl while wearing it., September 19, 2014
James (Boston MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
Well the headlamp does what it was supposed to do, allow me to see clearly when running early in the morning before the sun comes up. Pavement was clearly visible, and felt in little danger of stepping in unexpected potholes. My trust Petzl headlamp, I believe 50 lumens, perhaps less was not quite up to the job, fading after decade+ of use. This headlamp was also significantly lighter, comfortable, like the strap system, so the lamp is stable while I am running, and also thought useful to have the red blinking light on the back behind the battery pack as a safety feature. The lamps snaps neatly in to the charger. I like the fact that I don't constantly have to replace batteries. The red blinking light in the back blinks very fast (back to this in a moment). The front beam provides excellent illumination.

Now to the strange part, and wondering if it relates to the headlamp. Used it for the first time this past Wednesday morning. About a mile into the run, I felt a large object land on my head, fairly forcefully, and then fly off in front of me. It was an owl. Chalked it up to a good story to tell my coworkers. Then on Thursday morning, went out again, this time with a hat as it was cool and just in case, also before sunrise, passed the same spot as my encounter the previous day, no issue so far. Continued on my circular route. It was now just barely dawn and I saw an owl sitting in a tree on the side of the road, probably a quarter mile or more physical distance from previous encounter. I have never seen an owl on my runs previous to this week. I greeted it, rather cordially considering my previous encounter - not sure if the same owl, but made some grumbling about my previous experience with owls in general. Went on running. About 5 second later, boom, the owl had pushed off from my head (like previous incident came from behind so did not see it, and they are really quiet flight as I have found out, no idea I was being stalked). I screamed at it and kept on running. A few second later, boom, hit me on the head again. Screamed at it again, and doubled my pace. This time it drew some blood despite the hat. Found some articles on the internet about other runners being attacked by owls. This morning I went out, pretty much same route with a DIFFERENT headlamp, actually the Black Diamond Spot HeadLamp, no blinker on the back of the headstrap. No issue. I am wondering if the rapid blinker on the back was particularly irritating to the owl population or at least gave them a guided beacon to the stop of my head. Other than the owl incidents the headlamp is perfect. I will probably be saving it for hiking or at least a different season of the year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, bright, and stays put, October 10, 2012
Richard Prest (Emerald Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
I've done a few night runs with this headlamp. It's plenty bright enough to see where you are going, and with the over the top of the head strap readily adjusted so it doesn't bounce around, yet isn't too tight on your head, and in fact is so light its easy to forget you've got it on. It'd be nice to have one of those newer ones that auto adjusts the brightness so you don't blind everyone you try to talk to. The blinking rear red light is great if you're going to run on the road and easily turned off if not required. THe charging kit with adaptors for plugs all over the world is a total unexpected bonus. I've never had it dim unexpectedly on me, seems to hold a good charge for a long time, but I've never used it for more than 2-3 hours.

If you're looking for a good running headlamp, this has certainly worked well for me. Also good for all sorts of other activities - camping, walking dogs at night, home maintenance in attic or basement or confined spaces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for those Night Runs, November 14, 2013
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
I have been using this for two years now, for night running during three different Ragnar Relays. The light is bright, the tail light can be turned on or off while the headlight is on, and the ability to recharge it is very handy. I am sure it is a little heavier than some because it is carrying its own battery, but it fits well, wears well, and stays charged for a LONG time. I would definitely recommend this as a great Ragnar headlamp, as well as a great headlamp in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light for running, August 20, 2013
George A. Themelis (Brecksville, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my night running, trails or roads, after reading all the positive reviews here and elsewhere. My initial impressions are very favorable. I am impressed by the quality of the light throw. It is the perfect combination of flood and spot. It is fairly bright. It is lightweight and sits in my head well. I can even put my running cap at the top of the light (I cannot do that with other units and I prefer this to having the light at the top of the cap and being cut by it). I also like the red flashing light in the back that makes me more visible to cars coming from behind.

My only two concerns are: 1) I wish the light was brighter. It is OK for roads but I need more light for trails. 2) I am concerned about the built-in battery. I wish it was using a user-replaceable battery. I suspect I will be using the light at full brightness and the the time that the battery lasts can be an issue in long night runs/races without the option to replace the batteries.

Overall, I am pleased with it and it looks like it will be my favorite light for the upcoming winter road running at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars You look like an oncoming train, August 29, 2014
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Titanium) I have one on the recommendation of an ultra book... write your phone # on the strap... I worked the aid station #1 on the AR50... seems all the serious runners had one... as we collected them... Also helps with security in several ways... You look like an oncoming train.. Unlikely to be challenged on.. diffused light keeps you from going beam crazy and also makes good reading light.. beam dims and time is 6-36hrs depending on setting.. strobe function could be handy in emergencies.. never did figure out how to use the over the head strap.. but never really had use 4 it..

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, January 6, 2013
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
I use mine for walking in the early morning hours. Since I'm only walking, I haven't used the optional top strap. That said, the headband is extended to it's maximum, but is still a bit snug. I have average size head (as judged by hat size anyway!). This might be irritating to somebody that wears larger size ball caps and doesn't like them tight.

Love the fact that it's rechargeable. I use it every day and can't imagine how many AA batteries I'd go through otherwise.

I turn my light off and on while I'm exercising (i.e. when I stop to do pushups/sit-ups/calisthenics). Button placement for the front headlamp takes a little getting used to, but works well even with gloves. The front button turns both lights on/off. There is a back button also for the aft red strobe, but the button placement for that one is awkward if you're wearing the headlamp (I don't think this is much of an issue b/c I've never really needed to use it, but somebody might want to...).

I tried a couple others that I got at local stores, but none of them were as good as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great running headlamp!, August 6, 2014
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
I went out running 2 weeks ago with my trusty camping hat lamp that clips on the bill of my hat. Once i reached the end of the road and went to go off road, I realized that there was no way I could run with that light. It wasn't strong enough. Honestly while running I couldn't see very well in front of me but on a flat road I made due.

I finally got to run in the morning darkness this morning with this headlamp. Wow what a difference. I can't tell you the difference with this headlamp made. The trail I was running has a ton of holes, rocks and varying terrain. With this lamp I was able to run it with out much concern. I only ran 4 miles, but it was like it wasn't on my head. Totally comfortable and stable without having it super tight. I also like the fact I can recharge the battery. I would totally recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good investment for ultras!, September 9, 2014
Nicole F. (Germantown MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Sports)
This is well worth the money! I recently bought this upon recommendation from other runners, needing something with good beam & good battery life. It's like running in daylight! Also dimmable, so you're not blinding others. Has a rear safety red light that can be turned off. Would be good if it was more convenient to charge - charger only has USB so you have to use a PC or something to charge it - but fortunately goes a long time on one charge.

Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp (Titanium)
$69.95 $57.56