Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on February 23, 2014
These aren't necessarily a must-have item if you're hiker, but when you do a lot of hiking on hard surfaces, like in Pennsylvania (rocks galore), these protectors definitely help save your metal tips. As a bonus, they also give you better traction on these hard surfaces where metal tips can't bite into anyways.

They are marginally cheaper than a new set of Black Diamond Flex Tech Tips, so I think they are worthwhile purchase.
review image
on September 19, 2013
Just wanted to confirm that these fit fine on Black Diamond Trail Shock trekking poles. There is a metal washer embedded down inside the hole that fits right around the carbide tips. They fit snugly/securely onto the end of the poles, yet are easy to get back off when you want to use the carbide tips instead.
on September 3, 2013
I bought these to add-on to my newly purchased Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Poles. These went on very easily and fit perfectly. They did a good job while using them on rocky surfaces and regular flat surfaces in Yosemite Nat. Park. Definitely helped to absorb the shock when the bottom hits the ground. Would recommend these as add-ons for hiking poles.
on August 6, 2013
I used these on my Black Diamond poles for a 2 week trip on the AT. Without the tips my poles sunk right into the soft ground, and with the tips the poles stayed on top (mostly). There are a ton of hikers using poles on the AT, so both edges of the train are dotted with holes from poles without tips, so even with the tips sometimes my poles sunk into the ground since there were just so many holes already. I also appreciated the extra grip on the rocks, and they were also more quiet on the rocks.

I did lose one of the tips somewhere along the way. I had it, and then it was gone. My good fortune had my finding another tip along the trail later that same day. Now I wrap a bit of duct tape around tip and pole for a little extra protection against loss.
on December 3, 2014
These are best on a dry, hard flat surface, like pavement, or dry dirt. They will slide on wet algae or moss covered surfaces. Also, they are not good on wet rocks. Even on dry rocks, except for the white flinty ones, I prefer the carbide tips which really dig in. I can depend on these to hold fast.

Update Feb 5 2015

They wear fairly quickly, as there is not much surface area. They can be retreaded like a worn tire. It is best to do this before the nubs are completely gone. Here's how: install the tips, stand the poles upside down. Wrap some tape around the tip, allowing the tape to extend about a quarter inch beyond the end. Get a tube of Shoo Goo, available on Amazon, squeeze a small drop onto the tip and work it into the surface with a Q tip to get a good bond. Then add a larger amount, around an eight of an inch. The tape acts as a form like when you pour concrete. Let it cure for a day. Now remove the tape and slightly bevel the now solid Shoo Goo with a scissors and you are finished. This surface wears as good, maybe better than the original. My retread has lasted longer than the original surface and is still going strong. Of course, once it wears away, it can be redone.
on March 17, 2011
As all Black Diamond products, this is an excellent item. It is a great protection for the Flex Trip in my trekking poles. Protector installation is easy and you can use it to reduce the noise when you are walking. This tip protector works well in regular terrain, but if you are in irregular terrain the protector can reduce the stability. Personally, I think that this is a required accesory for BD trekking poles, but you must know when is good idea to use it and when is not.
on September 21, 2013
I have had a pair of these that I have used for two years whenever I encounter extended sections of ledge, or if I'm exercising on tarmac. They give great grip on those surfaces, and have held up surprisingly well to the wear and tear. I have not tried using them in softer soil or mud. I assume they would get sucked off in such conditions. But they are easy to apply and remove, and very secure on firm surfaces.
on August 27, 2013
These are not as tall as the tips that came with the Wanderfreund, but they are about half the price, fit perfectly, and work just as well. I ordered two pkg so that I have plenty of backups.
on July 13, 2013
I use these tips on my Diamond back Trail back trekking poles that I use when I walk through the neighborhood rehabing after back surgery. And I can honestly say they both work spectacularly! Only 4 stars for the tips because even though they grip the street pavement and sidewalks extremely well, uphill AND downhill, they just don't appear to be built for long term heavy use. The rubber is pretty soft and plyable, not like the tips on canes and crutches that are harder rubber and will last a long time. That being said, I ordered 2 sets, because my poles didn't come with any at all. I would highly recommend these to anybody. Even though not super durable, they should last long enough for some good quality use. And they are not expensive, I think I paid around 10 bucks with shipping for both sets.

UPDATE:

Well it is now December 22nd, and I started using these tips in July. Just now the carbide tips of my poles are starting to poke through the bottoms of the tips. I must say they've lasted longer than I thought they would with my moderate use. I think still an excellent product and I still recommend them.
on December 23, 2013
Excellent product - strong, good traction, no marks. Fit Z poles

I lost one in the mud- they can be pulled off. I put a bit of modeling clay in to hold in place, and they are fine now. Glue, or chewing gum would work too