5.0 out of 5 stars This is real martial arts
Here is a good book about martial arts. No one is killed. There are no superhuman feats of martial arts. And training takes a long time.

Published on January 17, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Well done
This book was a little long for me, and I felt it could have been tightened up. I also guessed the big reveal as soon as Girl met her new master and his mother.

Published on January 5, 2012 by G. Cox

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is real martial arts, January 17, 2012
This review is from: Black Dragon, Black Cat (Kindle Edition)

In fact, aside from an interesting tournament, this book is about training to be a martial artist. The training starts at a very early age and continues to adulthood (or almost no age is mentioned I don't think). The training is a long, hard and painful process. Cuts and bruises are given abundantly and are hard earned.

The training described is how someone becomes a good or great martial artist. No magic, no shortcuts, no wonderful talent. Just work, work, work and practice, practice, practice. There are also mental and moral efforts that must be learned and they are as hard as the physical element. Again, no magic, no shortcuts.

If you are a martial artist I recommend this book to you. If you are planning to start training, read this book and learn what it really takes to achieve the goal or at least what it historically took, since I am sure very few can or would train in this manner in our modern age.

In addition, it is a good story with a nice feminine element. Someone in another review commented that the heroine cried a lot. Considering her age and circumstance she had a lot to cry about. I recommend this book to everyone interested in the martial arts.

This review also appears on LibraryThing.com.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well done, January 5, 2012
G. Cox (The Missouri Ozarks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Dragon, Black Cat (Kindle Edition)

However, the evolving relationship between the girl and her master was really well done, the atmosphere and flavor of the culture and the values within it was handled extremely well, and I came to care about the characters almost immediately. I really liked the competition scenes in the city and the people she met there.

A really good read if you like this genre, which I usually don't, and I'm impressed that I enjoyed the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Black Dragon, Black Cat (Kindle Edition)
This book could have been very dry and boring. It is very formulaic. There are no twists. The "great reveal" at the end was obvious well in advance.

However, through the author's writing style, this book turned from something that could be cranked out by a 10-year old into a work of art. Reading it was like looking at a beautiful painting, or listening to beautiful music. The writing style is very soothing, almost meditative.

Once I finished, I almost wanted to start reading it all over again, just for the feelings it gave.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Black Dragon, Black Cat (Kindle Edition)
I love martial arts books. I read this to preview it for my 9 year old son. We study Tai Kwon Do together and he loves everything martial arts (and he loves cats, so this was perfect).

It was a gentle and easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful novel, September 1, 2012
Kenneth Mcdonald (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The basic story in this novel is not a new one; an orphan child becomes a hero through hard work and overcomes the hurdles that her society has placed before her. But Professor Edwards makes the story come alive through his style and the detail he brings to the story. Hei Mao is a sympathetic heroine, but has flaws as well as virtues, which really made her seem like a real person. The fighting and training scenes are filled with detail and further anchored the verisimilitude of the setting. The one thing I found a bit forced was the fate of the boy who was Mao's rival at the monastery, but that was the only place where the "message" drew me out of the story. I highly recommend the book and will be taking a look at the author's other works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to the next volume in this set!, August 25, 2012
From start to finish I couldnt put this one down. This isnt a martial arts book about a person, this is book about a person who learns the martial arts as a way of understanding life. The author is either a student of the martial arts or has done some extensive research. He knows the soul of kung fu! I look forward to more from this Author in this field!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's long, but I didn't want it to end, August 22, 2012
I'm terrible with grammar, and I have no knowledge of creative writing, so I cannot speak (write?) to those things. I have been doing martial arts for seven years now and this story does a great job of showing the reader what true martial arts are about. It also has a story that made me care what happens to the characters. I loved reading it every step of the way, and even though it was long I didn't want it to end. I was skeptical at first about how a writer could describe fight scenes and capture certain aspects of training, but he manages to do it very well. I've shared it with several people and pass the book around. It also teaches a lot of the morality or ethics in martial arts. I think if I had kids this would be one of the books I would read to them at night.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am ready to sign up for Kung Fu lessons, February 3, 2012
I really enjoyed this book as it left me wanting to read more and more. I loved the values it taught about and the maturation of a girl to a woman. It taught respect and the meaning of family. This was a book I could not put down. I found myself cheering for Hai Mao and bowing when appropriate, it has been a long time since I have truly enjoyed a book in which I could find myself in the character. Excellent!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic martial arts story, May 25, 2014
This review is from: Black Dragon, Black Cat (Kindle Edition)
I cannot say enough good things about this book -- thought provoking, describes martial arts philosophy, great action. Definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, October 16, 2013
This review is from: Black Dragon, Black Cat (Kindle Edition)
Super awesome book lots of cool martial arts too.
Very cool tornament and in the end finding a new boy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›