5.0 out of 5 stars The Life of a Drunk's Daughter
Published on April 5, 2005 by StylishCurvyGirl

3.0 out of 5 stars No Depth
I found Black Girl Lost to not be up to Donald Goines first two books, "Whoreson" and "Dopefiend", in that it did not delve deeply enough into why and how the girl was abandoned to the life she led. The books seems to have simply been hammered out to 'get it done' and then move on to the next book. While Donald Goines is, without a doubt the best of the...
Published 19 months ago by carol melcher

5.0 out of 5 stars The Life of a Drunk's Daughter, April 5, 2005
Sandra was a child born to a mother who loved alcohol more than her own child's life. While she was partying hard, Sandra was crying from starvation, missing her education because her clothes were always the source of ridicule at her school. Things all changed when she found some ballons of raw uncut dope, and joined forces with Chink, the ugliest most well-dressed drug-dealer in school. He became her first lover and the only person who looked out for her more than herself.Chink came from a similar situation as Sandra and shared in her pain. This book is a roller coaster of action from Chink and Sandra getting busted, to a rape, and finally murder. You have to get the book to find out all the juicy details because I don't want to give the whole book away. This is the ghetto love story of a lifetime and everyone should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only real emotional book I've read in years!, April 4, 2000
I have never read many books in my lifetime, and none have ever brought me to real emotions like Black Girl Lost. Personally, I feel that this is the best book ever written! It has turned my on to all of Donald Goines books, it has touched me in a way no other book could. It shows the real responsibilty of a man's woman, and the truth about Ghetto Luv! This is as real as it gets folks, dis is a must have for every black reader!

5.0 out of 5 stars GOINES DESERVES MORE ACCLAIM, February 11, 2000
I am hooked. This was the second Goines book that I have read, but it is so good, I'm making plans and clearing my schedule so I can read the rest of his oeuvre.
Goines brings the characters of Sandra and Chink to life in a way few authors can bring characters to life. I felt as if I knew these people. I cringed at the choices they had to make to survive life, but I nodded knowingly that the choices they made were the only choices they knew how to make.
Masterfully, Goines opens his tale by introducing the players, by laying the setting. Then, before the reader is sure of where the tale is going, Goines jerks you this way, then that. As a reader, you don't get settled in until the novel is three quarters done, but even then, you hope against hope that everything will work out.
I don't want to ruin the ending for any future readers. You MUST read "Black Girl Lost". It will bring to life the way some children are forced to live. Goines brings to life the poor black neighborhoods, and introduces newcomers to the denizens of the streets. One final word of advice: Goines is not for the weak of heart or mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites, February 6, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Black Girl Lost (Paperback)
I'm 33 yrs old. I read Black Girl Lost in 1980 while in Jr.High School. I love all of the new African-American authors such as E.Lynn-Harris and Lolita Files but my heart remains with Donald Goines. He was the master. I had a collection of the Donald Goines books until I had lent some to friends who had never returned the books. But for some reason I had never lent Black Girl Lost to anyone. I still have it. I've preserved it. Will always remain my favorite book and I've read lots of books in my time.

4.0 out of 5 stars nappygyrl, March 26, 2005
My bestfriend bought this book for me about 3 years. I was so engrossed I wouldn't put it down till I was finished. What I find so amazing about Donald Goines books is that they were writen back in the 70's, but the situations are still prevalent today. You can look in any city; NYC, PHILLY, CHI-TOWN, LA... there's still dealers, addicts, whores, pimps. We are still hungry. Hunger makes us angry.

5.0 out of 5 stars True to Life!!!, July 10, 2003
Nicj1s "recent_graduate" (Akron, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This was an excellent book! I read the thing (of course, it is small) in less than an hour. The book was very realistic, and I would put this on the same level as "The Coldest Winter Ever" by Sista Soulja!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE AT A YOUNG AGE, January 10, 2000
This review is from: Black Girl Lost (Paperback)
THIS BOOK IS MY FAVORITE OF THE DONALD GOINES COLLECTIONS. WHY BECAUSE THE STORY IS SO SINCERE ABOUT TWO YOUNG PEOPLE MAKING IT, WHEN PEOPLE THOUGH THEY WOULDNT. THEY WHERE IN LOVE AND THEY SHOW IT FOR EACH OTHER WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT. THE WERE TRULY THE URBAN LOVE STORY. BORN POOR BUT NOT COUNT OUT. I JUST FEEL THIS TWO MAIN CHARACTERS THROUGH OUT THE BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars black girl lost review, June 29, 2005
A Kid's Review
I think this book was really good because it talks about tipical life as a black child growing in the ghetto with a alcholoc mother and a dead beat father. overall the book is good and i recommend anybody to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality Based, July 26, 2000
I read this book in a day. This was the first Donald Goines book that I ever read, therefore, I didn't know what to expect. However something about the title drew me to it when I saw it in the bookstore. The book is simply about unconditional love that made me smile at the relationship that Sandra and Chink shared. I was happy when they were happy and mad when they were mad. I wanted revenge as much as Chink did at the end, and understood Sandra's actions during the last 5 pages. Even though the story is reality based, the plot was unpredictable and vivid. Great read, and I recommend it to all who are looking for something refreshing and real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 11, 2005
I feel this book was one of Donald Goines's better books. I couldn't put the book down. I agree with the other reviews that this book is comparable to "The Coldest Winter Ever". I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good read.

Black Girl Lost
Black Girl Lost by Donald Goines (Mass Market Paperback - January 1, 2008)
$7.99 $7.19