Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on April 5, 2005
Sandra was a child born to a mother who loved alcohol more than her own child's life. While she was partying hard, Sandra was crying from starvation, missing her education because her clothes were always the source of ridicule at her school. Things all changed when she found some ballons of raw uncut dope, and joined forces with Chink, the ugliest most well-dressed drug-dealer in school. He became her first lover and the only person who looked out for her more than herself.Chink came from a similar situation as Sandra and shared in her pain. This book is a roller coaster of action from Chink and Sandra getting busted, to a rape, and finally murder. You have to get the book to find out all the juicy details because I don't want to give the whole book away. This is the ghetto love story of a lifetime and everyone should read this book.
on April 4, 2000
I have never read many books in my lifetime, and none have ever brought me to real emotions like Black Girl Lost. Personally, I feel that this is the best book ever written! It has turned my on to all of Donald Goines books, it has touched me in a way no other book could. It shows the real responsibilty of a man's woman, and the truth about Ghetto Luv! This is as real as it gets folks, dis is a must have for every black reader!
on February 11, 2000
I am hooked. This was the second Goines book that I have read, but it is so good, I'm making plans and clearing my schedule so I can read the rest of his oeuvre.
Goines brings the characters of Sandra and Chink to life in a way few authors can bring characters to life. I felt as if I knew these people. I cringed at the choices they had to make to survive life, but I nodded knowingly that the choices they made were the only choices they knew how to make.
Masterfully, Goines opens his tale by introducing the players, by laying the setting. Then, before the reader is sure of where the tale is going, Goines jerks you this way, then that. As a reader, you don't get settled in until the novel is three quarters done, but even then, you hope against hope that everything will work out.
I don't want to ruin the ending for any future readers. You MUST read "Black Girl Lost". It will bring to life the way some children are forced to live. Goines brings to life the poor black neighborhoods, and introduces newcomers to the denizens of the streets. One final word of advice: Goines is not for the weak of heart or mind.
on February 6, 1999
I'm 33 yrs old. I read Black Girl Lost in 1980 while in Jr.High School. I love all of the new African-American authors such as E.Lynn-Harris and Lolita Files but my heart remains with Donald Goines. He was the master. I had a collection of the Donald Goines books until I had lent some to friends who had never returned the books. But for some reason I had never lent Black Girl Lost to anyone. I still have it. I've preserved it. Will always remain my favorite book and I've read lots of books in my time.
on March 26, 2005
My bestfriend bought this book for me about 3 years. I was so engrossed I wouldn't put it down till I was finished. What I find so amazing about Donald Goines books is that they were writen back in the 70's, but the situations are still prevalent today. You can look in any city; NYC, PHILLY, CHI-TOWN, LA... there's still dealers, addicts, whores, pimps. We are still hungry. Hunger makes us angry.
on June 29, 2005
I think this book was really good because it talks about tipical life as a black child growing in the ghetto with a alcholoc mother and a dead beat father. overall the book is good and i recommend anybody to read it.
on July 10, 2003
This was an excellent book! I read the thing (of course, it is small) in less than an hour. The book was very realistic, and I would put this on the same level as "The Coldest Winter Ever" by Sista Soulja!
on January 10, 2000
THIS BOOK IS MY FAVORITE OF THE DONALD GOINES COLLECTIONS. WHY BECAUSE THE STORY IS SO SINCERE ABOUT TWO YOUNG PEOPLE MAKING IT, WHEN PEOPLE THOUGH THEY WOULDNT. THEY WHERE IN LOVE AND THEY SHOW IT FOR EACH OTHER WITHOUT A SECOND THOUGHT. THE WERE TRULY THE URBAN LOVE STORY. BORN POOR BUT NOT COUNT OUT. I JUST FEEL THIS TWO MAIN CHARACTERS THROUGH OUT THE BOOK.
on May 25, 2013
I've had this book for quite awhile and now that I've read it, I can't believe that I was missing out on such a good read. What a sad and tragic 70s ghetto love story! My heart went out to Sandra from the very beginning as she was often left alone by her drunken mother to fend for herself. Sandra endured many things a young girl or any child her age should never have to. Chink an outcast of sorts had a hustle of his own as a means of survival. Sandra witnessed an unexpected incident which ultimately led her to Chink. Soon thereafter, Sandra and Chink became an unlikely couple with a common bond, the struggle of surviving lives of poverty. Although this story takes place back in the day, Sandra proves to be the epitome of a 'ride or die' chick. Mr. Goines was truly a master writer and storyteller that was taken from this world way too soon.
on December 21, 2012
Black Girl Lost was the first book by Donald Goines that I have ever read, and I must say, it was by far a true love story and it was damn good. From the beginning of the book, your heart reaches out to a young black girl who seems to have no one in the world that cares about her... And then there was Chink. This book makes you believe and understand the true meaning of love, struggle and ultimately sacrifice. Definitely a good read. I recommend it to anyone.