5.0 out of 5 stars All good things..., July 24, 2012
This review is from: Black Jack, Volume 17 (Paperback)
I'm a little sad to say that this is the final volume in the amazing Black Jack series. It's been a blast reading Tezuka's series and I'm glad that Vertical decided to take the chance of releasing this series.

Pinoko is the focus of a lot of these stories, which I loved. She's always been my favorite character of the series, mostly because despite her fantastic origin she's been the "every(wo)man" character. Where Black Jack has been the person with almost magical surgical abilities, Pinoko is remarkably normal. (Sure she's a former lump put in a doll's body, but other than that she has nothing else about her that's overwhelmingly extraordinary.) The artwork in this is typical Tezuka, which means that I think it's awesome. I think it's safe to say that Tezuka's artwork is pretty distinctive and it's nice to see something a little different.

I do want to warn you that there's no absolute closure in this series. Like the previous volumes, you can pretty much read this without having read the other volumes. There is one story that refers to a previous volume, but it also goes over everything to where you won't feel like you're missing anything. The end story is a little bittersweet given how it ends (no spoilers!), but I like to think of it as a way of marking a change in the characters' lives.

There is another Black Jack manga series (The Dark Surgeon), and I hope that we will eventually get that through Vertical as well. They've done an excellent job with this volume and with the series as a whole. I absolutely recommend this to anyone interested in Tezuka, classic manga, and/or retro series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 16, 2014
This review is from: Black Jack, Volume 17 (Paperback)
good job.

Black Jack, Volume 17
Black Jack, Volume 17 by Osamu Tezuka (Paperback - November 29, 2011)
$16.95 $12.76