Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

86%
14%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 5, 2000
The talent behind Microdisney and the Fatima Mansions shows his enduring brilliance in this latest solo effort. Standout tracks on this wonderful album include #1 the ghost of limehouse cut, #5 payday, and especially #6 Dark Parlour (if this song doesnt move you with its beauty there is NO hope for you). You can check out song samples and learn more about the artist on his website [...] Buy this CD you will not be disappointed.
on October 16, 2000
There's not a weak track on this album. Billiantly written songs, brilliantly performed. I could compare Cathal Coughlan to a load of other great songwriters, but that would give the wrong impression - he is a great(totall underrated) singer/songwriter in his own right. This is the best thing he has ever done.
on January 8, 2002
This is not a review at all...but, since you allow no other space for comments, I'm using this facility.
I'm the artist, and I wonder why on earth you bother stocking this record when you begin its listing with a negative review from 'The Rough Guides' - the writer in question was only doing their job by writing what they did, and I respect their right to say what they like, but, really, what purpose does it serve for you to publish it as prominently as you do?
If you endorse the sentiments of the writer, take the damn record out of your catalogue, because nobody will buy it from you as things stand.
on October 16, 2000
there are no weak tracks on this album - all the tracks are brilliantly written and executed. not much more to say about it than that. Cathal Coughlan is so underrated it's criminal, listen to this album and tell me he's not a genius.
on May 20, 2002
If it wasn't for the likes of Cathal Coughlan so beautifully crooning his woe and gleeful animosity into my life, I would have long since considered songwriting a dead artform. This record is a manifesto for a soul music that freezes and melts the heart at the same time - and this has always been the paradox at the core of Cathals songwriting. Despite the dark moods he conjures up with graceful guitars and cellos, his fascination for the crackle and fizz of lifes great experiment reveals the indestructible soul within it all - I have never heard a repertoire that is so unashamedly life-affirming. I don't know how he does it or why I like it so much. All I know is that once you get into him you can't get out of him. He has always been a truly great songwriter with a truly great voice, and this record reinforces his case yet again. By turns funny, pretty, melancholic, catchy, moody, grand, epic, and as dark as dark ever gets. Only stupid people will not like this album.
on March 29, 2006
absolutely magnificent. vivid descriptive lyrics,excellent musicianship, great singing, haunting melodies, unique and imaginative arrangements and presentation. I have been a fan of Coughlan since I heard "the clock comes down the stairs" by Microdisney in the mid 80's. That is a great recording but this is MUCH better. I don't know the proper words to describe how good this is but it is among the best I have heard by anyone in this century. Cathal Coughlan had something to say and he really nailed it down this time. If you treasure music which comes from the depths of the soul, you simply must hear this. You will be moved.
on September 19, 2003
WEEP. LAUGH. BE MOVED. MUSIC AS IT SHOULD BE. BUY IT.