Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on September 6, 2013
Entertaining B horror movie that has some decent special effects. The Movie is based on a ancient game that twits and manipulate your emotions and beliefs to Kill everyone. The acting is not superb but it does the job as far as character development. The story gets a little shaky and not quite clear as to why certain things happen but the special effects help with the story and keep you somewhat interested. Like I said its good for a one time spin around the DvD player and then its time to walk away.
on March 12, 2014
The trailer was absolutely awesome, and the concept ("Jumanji meets Evil Dead") piqued my interests in this movie like nobody's business! *BUT*... it seemed as if "EVERY" review I'd ever come across about this movie (it's "stupid story," its "dull acting," its "gaping plot holes," etc.) were enough to put me off from making one of my classic "Impulse Buys" of a movie I'd been unfamiliar with and knew next to nothing about. So for the past couple of years I'd waited... and waited... and waited... and waited for an opportunity to actually watch this movie in some form or manner in which I would not be required to part with so much as a single dime, just so I could see with my own eyes whether the trailer was somehow misleading me or if perhaps all of the "angry reviewers" were really on top of their game or if they had all just been smoking from the same bong. Well... I'd just very recently had that opportunity to finally catch this movie in its entirety in one of the "No Pay to Play" methods I use to determine whether or not a movie is going to be good enough for me to consider adding to my own personal DVD library... and it turned out that the almighty "reviewers" were in fact attempting to dissuade me from something that was so intense and so deep that I have to wonder in all honesty if they'd even watched the same movie as I had?

Yes, we all know how easy it is to pan a movie (no pun intended) when you've viewed it as a "freebie" and have invested nothing in it financially; it's something else entirely when after watching a movie under such circumstances you declare, "HELL YEAH! I'm DEFINITELY going to go out and *BUY* that one for myself!"

No, many of the "negative" reviewers are not entirely incorrect in some of their assessments -- the story can get a bit "formulaic" at times, and it *CAN* seem confusing and full of plot holes if one is mere "casually viewing" and not paying particularly close attention to the details of the story as it unfolds. One of the biggest complaints, re: the physical representation of the "Pan" character, is such a lame diss to me that I fear that these folks probably would've preferred that the thing had been done in some gaudy CGI effect rather than in the raw and very surreal way in which they presented it in this film which actually fits the mood and the tone of the movie. As for any problems I might have personally had with the movie, my biggest and only real complaint with the movie, as some others have already mentioned, was its tacked-on ending which while not anything that totally destroyed the movie still played like a safe-escape puss-out that leaves us with the sort of ambiguous ending that forces us to draw our own conclusions (a severely overdone staple in modern horror movies) rather than just letting the movie end on its raw & gritty note... in other words, they chose to go with more of a "Jumanji" type ending than one that evoked more of its "Evil Dead" element.

So there's my dilemma: recommend a movie that I think gets short shrift unjustifiably only to set myself up for flaming missiles of hatred should someone accept my recommendation and winds up agreeing with the common concensus? ...or just keep my opinion to myself and enjoy all the fun trappings this movie has to offer in the peace of my own home but feel guilty that there are others out there who might likewise have the same appreciation for this movie as I but who have been made apprehensive about wanting to take that chance on something so universally frowned upon? (sort of like how the game in the movie challenges you to bear your soul honestly... and suffer the consequences of what you've just shared with everybody -- a classic "No Win" situation)
on May 12, 2014
What has become of a true horror flick? They should have saved all the blood and donated it to the Red Cross. Horrible acting! Horrible script...every other word was fu---! This should have been a 30-minute short on how not to butcher people. A total waste of time and money. I've taken notes and will never watch or buy a movie directed or acted by this crew. Granted...if you love gore (lots of it) this is for you. But it is mindless. I laughed throughout the film...and it wasn't supposed to be a comedy...I think.
on October 28, 2013
I'm a big horror movie fan and when I saw this one on Amazon and recognized some of the actors in it I had high hopes for the movie.
Actor Robert Patrick of Terminator 2 fame both acts and produces this movie about ancient evil spirits being released and possessing people.
The premise is good but poorly executed with the typical sub standard acting of a lower budget film.
Bottom line recommendation ... It's okay to rent and watch once but to purchase I would recommend you spend your money on something better.
on October 26, 2014
great little movie...... ive seen some of the actors before in other horror flicks
great plot good acting too and some blood and dead bodies for good measure
this movie reminded me of another movie called open graves mbam-setup-2.0.2.1012
on September 11, 2013
Why are early reviews for movies like this 5 stars every single time? First of all don't be fooled by the cover--this isn't a monster movie. It has a premise similar to the 2009 dud Open Graves where a bunch of friends play a sinister antique board game with deadly consequences. A character in the prologue states that the game alters reality, but either because of lack of imagination or low budget all the game seems to do in the movie is turn the characters against each other so they erupt in a murderous rage. The game itself is cool looking and the set-up appears poised to create the Jumanji of horror films but The Black Waters of Echo's Pond turns out to be little more than a tiresome slasher film with all of the characters turning on each other and eventually becoming murderer or victim--or both. The acting is uneven at best--four of the eight main characters are inexplicably played by actors with very thick accents, which completely negates whatever attempts they may be making at acting. Danielle Harris is top-billed but underutilized. This isn't a terrible rental but it's pretty mediocre.
on September 28, 2013
Waited four years for this to be released on DVD and I wish I waited four years more. Typical slasher film that offers nothing new to the genre. Some nice scenery and dollops of gore, but not much else. I was expecting a lot more considering the cast.
on September 9, 2013
I wasn't really sure what to expect going into THE BLACK WATERS OF ECHO'S POND. The cover artwork looks awesome, with the rippling demonic face, and the plot is definitely intriguing. Add in the fact that I love Danielle Harris, and of course this was a must-see. I'm happy to report the film is just as good as I was hoping it would be, and it's a welcome addition to the horror genre.

I'm a HUGE sucker for just about anything involving archaeology, so when that and horror combine, the results can be nirvana. I say `can be' because there are some real stinkers out there...but this one definitely does not fit into that category.

THE BLACK WATERS OF ECHO'S POND is shot well and the production value looks high. The sets are tight and the whole film has a nice foreboding feel to it, almost as if the tension is a physical thing that clings to your skin. The acting is great as well, with the lovely and talented Danielle Harris stealing the show. Yes, I'm biased towards her because I really like her, but she does an excellent job, as always.

The special effects are top notch as well. The demonic eyes and teeth used in this film are very realistic and look great onscreen. The gore is also nice and there's plenty of carnage to go around; there's even an excellent scene where one of the characters used a chainsaw to saw another in half!

My sole complaint about THE BLACK WATERS OF ECHO'S POND is that nothing is really explained at the end. There's a lot of insinuation that the audience should infer from the opening scenes, but that still doesn't explain much about what is actually going on. This didn't necessarily ruin the movie for me, but I would have enjoyed it more if explanation had been given.

Still, THE BLACK WATERS OF ECHO'S POND is one hell of a good film, and fans of horror should certainly check it out. Be sure and pick it up on Blu-ray if you can; the HD picture and sound go a long way in helping to create an ambient atmosphere of terror. The film hits store shelves tomorrow, so be sure and give it a look.
on September 22, 2013
The film opens in 1927 with the discovery of Pan's temple. There are instructions for a game which is the Rite of Pandemonium. They create the game, play it, hide it, and all die. In modern times 9 young adults discover the game and play it on isolated Beacon's Island, Maine. The game is similar to truth or dare, except there are illusions and ideas which play to people's worse fears causing deadly rage.

The film is similar to others out there. The early effects and sets were low budget. I had to laugh at the fake opening sunrise. Once the party gets into the game, it becomes interesting, but doesn't bring it home. Perhaps because it promised us a twin foursome but then doesn't deliver.

Good horror rental. $9.96 Walmart. 3 1/2 stars

Parental Guide: F-bomb, brief sex, sex talk, shower nudity (Mircea Monroe, worth the wait)
on December 17, 2015
I went into this movie not really expecting much but was very pleasantly surprised. This film is like a horror version of the film Jumanji. It also has Robert Patrick & Danielle Harris in it. Basic plot is a group of friends find a board game that has something to with the legendary creature Pan. It shows them things they want to see, affects their minds & makes them kill. The blood & gore were very well done, especially one kill scene near the end. Acting is ok for what it is, a B horror film. While it may not be anything groundbreaking it is a very enjoyable little film that I have no regrets at all about having in my collection. Only special feature on the disc is an alternate opening. If you are looking for a somewhat different horror film that mixes light fantasy elements & slasher like kills, give this film a try, it may just surprise you like it did me.