5.0 out of 5 stars More than you'd expect
Published on July 11, 2011 by MrsSommers

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed...
Full of very basic photography info and very little that specifically helped/taught black and white. Not what I was hoping.
Published 12 months ago by Jeff Seely

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More than you'd expect, July 11, 2011
This review is from: Black and White Digital Photography Photo Workshop (Paperback)
I thought that my photographically-inclined high school kid could get something out of this book, but my husband and I have both found ourselves referring to it in our professional life. Beautiful examples and very cleanly-discussed direction. I really enjoy the tone of the author and the sheer volume of photos to learn from is impressive. "The digital darkroom" is a new thing to a lot of people, but catching on strong as we realize how much flexibility is built into the files if you do it right. This book does a great job of showing you how to put the most into the image in-camera, and then how to push it even further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balance of technical and artistic, August 12, 2011
I found this book to be an amazing resource and Bucher provides a comprehensive aid to the reader. He not only explains the fundamentals of photography and how the camera works, but talks about lighting a variety of subjects, and finishes with very practical instructions on how to get the most out of the software and printer. The Assignment sections at the end of the chapters were helpful as well. They challenged me to look beyond what I'm doing as a photographer and try new things. Thanks for another great book Mr. Bucher!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to create the best black and white photos, buy this book!, July 15, 2011
I highly recommend adding this book to your reference library and placing it on your top shelf! What I loved about the book is that it wasn't too basic and it wasn't too complex. There is little to no technical jargon that wasn't properly explained, and I found that very appealing. This book would be useful to amateur and more skilled photographers and will guide them to creating phenomenal black and white images. There was a wide variety of information, and it provided a good combination of technique and application.

5.0 out of 5 stars seeing lines again, October 7, 2011
It made me start looking at perspective and not at the colors again. Not to mention memories of when I first used B&W film. It's also a good refresher course in using filters and getting great pictures without all the colors. Plus you'll see shapes you might of missed otherwise. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars B&W Digital Photo, April 20, 2012
I have not finished this book but I can say this would be a good book for those interested in doing exclusive B&W and for those older people, like myself, who have experience in working with and developing their own B&W negative/prints. It gives the basic properties of B&W themes such as composition and texture and goes on to explain the principles of applying color filters in order to achieve a desired effect. It starts out with basic information that some of us are already familiar with, but the reason I bought this book was to understand how to apply principles I used in film processing by using modern day software applications.
From what I've reviewed so far this book will fit the bill and at the very least be a starting point for answering questions concerning the use of Aperture, Photoshop and PS Elements as well as Adobe Camera Raw and their DNG file format. It also covers Lightroom and Canon's and Nikon's proprietary software for importing and working with Raw image files. Note that instructions for using Camera Raw are referring to v 6.1 which I believe requires PS Element 8 or later. I use a Mac G5 desktop computer which runs PS Element no higher than version 6 without giving any problems. But the basic principles can still be applied to older versions of the various applications while also giving me an excuse to upgrade to a newer Intel based Mac. Its nice to know I can use my DSLR or P&S to go back to using B&W with the intensions I had when using Tri-X in bulk film and exposing/developing for the Zone System which is also briefly mentioned in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jewel!, April 19, 2012
Barbara B. Conn (Surprise, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This one's a jewel, truly a workshop in a book. An exceptionally fine resource for B&W aficionados and wannabes, it's also an ideal guide for all digital photographers who simply want to better understand and practice photographic principles, techniques and applications. Presentation of material is particularly logical and thorough, each chapter offering information fundamental to the next. Tips for creating superb B&W images in-camera and in the digital darkroom abound. A friendly tone, concise text, plenty of illustrations and even assignments to share online all help build reader confidence. If you're a student of photography, this Chris Bucher book is the teacher to choose.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must own book, July 12, 2011
Black and White Digital Photography Photo Workshop by Chris Bucher is a must own book for any photographer from novice to experienced alike. What makes this book great is its ability to simplify processes for us newbies but yet go into enough detail for the veteran photographers in our group. I especially enjoyed and got the most out of Chapter 7 The Black and White Digital File. Enjoy this wonderful book and then go out and create images that last a lifetime!

4.0 out of 5 stars You never stop learning..., July 10, 2011
This book is just another example of the fact that there will always be something new that you can learn or view from another authors point of view. Another unique perspective on B&W photography that helps bring out a more creative photographer and develop your eye and create passion in each opening of the shutter.

Another excellent addition to this series of books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, July 13, 2011
This is an excellent book for somebody looking to expand their knowledge on black and white photography. It explains the many wonderful aspects of black and white photography in a way that is easy-to-understand and interesting. The interactive assignments (one of my favorite features of the book) are a great way to practice what the book teaches and get feedback from other equally-enthusiastic photographers. I would highly recommend this book to any enthusiastic photographer looking to learn more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., July 13, 2013
Jeff Seely (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Black and White Digital Photography Photo Workshop
Black and White Digital Photography Photo Workshop by Chris Bucher (Paperback - May 10, 2011)
$29.99 $20.18