5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BB Ever! Hands Down
Published on August 26, 2011 by Jesse813

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh
I've been a dedicated crackberry addict for 11 years now, buying each new model on the day it was released. The Bold 9930 was no exception....picked it up last Friday, two days before the official release, from a retailer eager to make a sale.

Then, four days later, I returned it.

Don't get me wrong - the phone is everything it is advertised to be -...
Published on August 23, 2011 by K

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST BB Ever! Hands Down, August 26, 2011
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
First of all this is coming from an Android ex user, I used to have the Evo 4G and after growing bored of Android I took the plunge back into BB, and wow what a difference! I used to have the Bold 9700 back in the days and this to me is a HUGE improvement! Its fast its quality built is just incredible, I would put the quality built up there next to the iPhone 4. If feels solid and you just want to write something to someone LoL. I dont know what other are saying about the size, its the perfect size, its hands down the BEST keyboard Ive ever typed on!

The screen is gorgous and the LED light makes my old Evo look like a dimm light for notifications. I love that you can see the LED light from any angle and with the Evo you had to literally face the device to see the light turn on. As for the browser its not up to par with Android or iPhone, but its not the same old BB one either, its WAY quicker, smoother and overall a big leap forward.

As for the apps I found a lot that i can use as well. The best thing to do is to go to your local Sprint store and play with one. Although I will tell you that I did that and there is no comparison, the display unit feels cheap, yet once you buy one it feel way better ( quality) And whoever complained about carrier.... then why would you purchase it in the first place? LoL Sprint is # 1 right now for realesing the most devices, just look at their BB , Android , Windows phone line up...they got choices! I wont be going back to Android until a phone comes out that blows my mind away, until then I am loving this Bold Touch- heck I even got some of my die hard Android friends looking into buying one too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry as Jewelry, September 22, 2011
Gromersomerjour (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Sales people tend to move around a lot and sales organizations like uniformity and sales managers often hand out phones. And so it has come to pass that I've tried just about all the smartphone platforms on the market today. BB CURVE(S), DROID 2, iPhone 2, BB Tour) I didn't mean for this to happen. I play sports and stuff. But here we are...

This new Bold rivals the iPhone for industrial design. Yes, I went there. The keyboard feel and function is simply the best on the market. I loved my BB Tour for its keyboard but now I know I was typing on Canada's Ford Taurus. The Bold my friends, drives like a Corvette with fresh tires on new asphalt. Also impressive in the design category is the slim graceful shape and really phenomenally vivid and responsive touch screen. The balance and shape of the device feels great in the hand. The screen isn't as big as some other phones on the market but it really does look fantastic. I will say however, that like the iPhone, this device resembles the kind of glass that should not be dropped. The BB Tour was unique in the level of abuse it could take. This new Bold, though solid and smartly finished, does not have that indomitable Blackberry brick weight to it.

It's all about speed and apps these days. Or so they tell me. The bold is fast and seems very stable from an operating system point of view. New apps launch quickly and it's easy to toggle between as many as 4 or 5 or so different open applications. The web loads credibly quickly and the browser is a quantum leap ahead of what blackberry has put forward to this point. Ah, but the app selection is on the skimpy side. Not an issue says me. As others have noted, the apps that are available work really well. My new favorite is iSpeech Translator. Look into it...science fiction is today.

The camera has no auto-focus!. Don't let this smooth talk lead you astray. The camera on this device takes crystal clear beautiful pictures. Auto-focus on this phone has been replaced by a manual drop down camera settings menu that is easily accessed from the display view finder. Settings are intuitive to toggle through quickly and deliver beautifully clear images. Is it slower than auto focus? I'm not sure about that. In the right hands you could move quickly and take perhaps better pictures.

Other random impressions:

Important to me was impressive brightness of the LED. This phone doubles as a credible flashlight.
Streaming media apps like Pandora seem to do really well on this phone.
New interface is more intuitive and fun to operate....kind of like the iPhone, for me.
It does wifi
It interfaces with Twitter and Facebook very well
Like any blackberry you can change the flow and layout of critical functions. Only difference now is it's not so difficult.

I just noticed I haven't said anything about Android. For me this Bold can go toe to toe with the Bionic and other super phones for its brilliantly functional, balanced, and powerful design. The android and iPhone are superior in the way they handle multimedia but this is only true if your comparing this device to the iPhone 4 or Android Bionic and even in these instances the gap is small. This Bold seems to have plenty of processing horsepower to evolve around. It is a beautiful example of industrial engineering for me. I wish it was a touch more rugged but must give it a "Highly Recommend".

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone in my opinion, April 12, 2012
Mike (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is everything I have ever wanted in a phone. The keyboard is amazing (I hate on-screen keyboards they are never accurate). Blackberry phones always have superior reception compared to all other phones. Also, the battery lasts all day whereas other smartphones need to be charged several times throughout the day. I have dropped my bold on concrete about 20 times and there is not a single scratch on it. This phone is SOLID.

If you need a phone and not a toy get this Bold

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, August 23, 2011
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)

Then, four days later, I returned it.

Don't get me wrong - the phone is everything it is advertised to be - super slim and sexy, *the* perfect keyboard, messaging is still the killer app. But therein lies the rub....it's just more of the same and in 2011 that is just not enough.

The biggest reason to get this phone is the faster processor - previously painful tasks are now a breeze with the additional horsepower. App World, browsing, video are all actually usable now. Touchscreen is nice. But that's where it ends.

The phone is a little too wide to be held comfortably...I actually like the previous generation's width...this new one goes back to the original 9000's width which was a few millimeters too many.

There is no front facing camera, the rear camera does not auto-focus, battery is smaller than previous generation, apps that I want to use still don't exist - remote deposit capture for my bank, netflix, slingbox etc. CPU while perfectly adequate - especially in light of the lackluster CPU in previous models - is still a single core one and a generation behind other mobile platforms.

RIM, you've finally lost me. And when you lose faithful customers like me, maybe there's something wrong.

An oft-repeated refrain in reviews of this phone is that it offers more of the same to Blackberry loyalists - and that is both its saving grace and its downfall.

5.0 out of 5 stars works for what I need it for... A PHONE, January 7, 2012
vincent edwards (HAINES CITY, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
A phone and a business tool all in one. The bold 9930 is a nice phone. It has the functions and apps that I use most on a phone. Like always you know this would not be a BB review without mention of the Android and iPhone 4s.

My wife have the Evo 4g- very impressive small computer. I help her to set her phone and install apps and updates etc. and I much rather have the setup of the BB for myself. When is too much too much. These phones have a lot of potential, but do everybody need all of that bloatware.

So much talk about apps. Just show me a handful of apps that are tested and works with my device. I am not a "beta" tester. LOL

Phone 1st is what I like most about my BB 9930. I have 4 email accounts on my phone and each with its own purpose. I love the way I can separate them and know which is receiving mail. I hate to look in Outlook because all accounts are there together.

When it comes to power how much is enough... well I am able to surf the web while listening to Pandora without any interruptions in service... Sounds like enough power to me.

I use my BB for work and play. and the Docs to go premium is wonderful. I can write word docs while on the go. I definitely like the bright screen.
I am not into playing games ( never could get past level 2 on pac man) hahaha.

Overall I am happy with my purchase of this phone. Looking forward to purchasing my playbook this coming fall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Communicator's Dream Phone, April 25, 2012
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Great phone. It's fast, the screen is clear, bright and sensitive. The reception is great and the audio is outstanding. I've been using it for the past 6 months and I have not a single issue with it. Mind you this thing is attached to my body at all times and I use it constantly for email, navigation, BBM, listening to music - both songs download to it and internet radio, passing the time playing games while waiting for appointments, using the Bridge app to connect to my Playbook, taking pictures and so much more. The battery life is great - much, much better than my work issued Motorola Blur (Android).

The keyboard on this thing is superb. It beats any keyboard on any smartphone hands down. I've used them all and never had a keyboard that compares (touch screen isn't an expedient method to compose messages in my opinion).

Yes, the camera is fixed focus but it takes good pictures. It has a wide selection of camera modes. I'm not sure what the other reviewer is referring to about close up pictures being blurry. I've taken pictures 5 inches away from an object using the 'close up' mode and the image is clear.

This baby is a workhorse. It's my third Blackberry phone and it is an awesome gadget. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, December 4, 2012
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I bought this phone for the keyboard. I love love love typing on a true tactile keyboard. This phone is speedy, great, with a battery life that far surpasses my Galaxy S2. The only negative is the camera as it does not autofocus.
Great phone... it will hold me over until BB10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best BB, but has many drawbacks, June 6, 2012
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This is my third BB, and it is THE BEST thus far. Very sleek, very comfortable keyboard, larger (touch) screen, and the FASTEST processor thus far on any BlackBerry. It is so much faster than my older BB; apps open up in a fraction of a second, and webpages load up really really fast.

But why do non-corporate types like myself like to own a BB?--it is mainly for the durable and comfortable keyboard and the reliability of sending e-mail and other messages. And here lies the greatest drawback: with the wide-availability of IMAP, esp. freely available from Google (Gmail), you would expect a "smartphone" to work fully with that service. Yet, even after 4 years (since my first BB), the only thing my BB will sync with is the inbox and sent items on Gmail; and for people with Outlook Web Access (OWA) only the inbox and calendar. You will need BES to sync everything else like contacts and calendar.

iOS and Android based phones offer such rich e-mail experience as to make the BB laughable.

But I still cling onto by BB with several awkward workarounds for the e-mails and keenly await an OS "patch" that will make my e-mail woes disappear.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT IMPROVEMENT, but wrong NETWORK, August 23, 2011
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This is a great device. This is the BB that should have been released two years ago and if not two years ago, it should definitely have been released last year. Not sure why RIM kept making the same underpowered devices over and over again, but they did.

Anyways, this will be the comeback device for RIM. The screen size is slightly larger, it now incorporates a touch screen onto the device, and the keyboard is six percent larger and also it seems softer and less hard plastic-esque. This makes typing feel like walking on air. The physical appearance of the device is also enhanced and redesigned. It now comes with metal chrome edges. I am not crazy about the plastic cover on the back that is a smudge magnet. People refer to it as carbon glass (which I have no idea what that is). It just looks like cheap plastic. The keyboard and touch screen combo works well. However, the trackpad and screen are in close proximity to one another, so I found myself scrolling on the trackpad, but the tip of my finger was also accidentally touching the bottom of screen causing it to slightly scroll. That is not a big issue.

The software is pretty much the same thing. I don't care for the new icons. The beefed up processor is nice, but I still notice the infamous and dreaded `HOUR GLASS' pop up occasionally when the phone is doing too much and seems like it cannot handle it. This phone is also advertised with no `checker boarding', yet I still experienced that a lot. The web browser seems practically identical, but the pinch to zoom is welcomed and seems improved over the BB Torch. Even with the increase in horse power, it still can't play videos posted on a webpage. So if you go to Phonedog.com or crackberry.com and there is a small four minute video clip on the main page, it will not play and sometimes the video itself won't even appear. The youtube app is fine, but VEVO should really be installed on this device as well as NETFLIX.

The BAD: You know this was coming. This is a great device, but it is not evolutionary nor is it revolutionary. There really should be a front facing camera and at this point, it should also have an eight or ten mega pixel camera with auto focus. This device does not have auto focus. The internal memory should seriously be 32GB for the price they're charging for this device. Instead, it only comes with 8GB of internal built in memory. By the time everything is installed, like software, etc. it is only 6GB left. It should also be 4G. Offering 3G is sooooo 2007. Here is the worst part, Sprint has horrible coverage. I am sooo in shock because I had Sprint ten years ago and they were excellent and of course, things should only improve with time. Their coverage is ridiculous. I kept getting dropped calls, I could barely make calls, my 3G icon kept disappearing. Once it disappeared, it went straight to 2G which for Sprint is 1X and then it went from 1X to 1x and when the X is not capitalized, that means you can only make calls and not use the web browser. So why am I paying for unlimited data again when I can't even use it? In addition, the phone mostly stayed at one signal bar and that one bar was fighting for dear life to even stay lit because most of the other times, the phone was looking and searching for a signal. I am shocked by Sprint's spotty coverage. Also, because of spotty coverage, my phone refused to send text messages after trying for two times and the device would take for ever before confirmation was given that the message was sent.

Overall, this is a good device and should have been released two years ago or whenever the first iPhone was released. The app store still needs help. At the end, this is a great device that is sadly on the wrong network. I am in NY and it is nearly impossible to have bad coverage. Just not humanly possible. I returned this and jumped back to T-Mobile. I will get this model when it comes out at the end of September. The five stars is for the device. Otherwise, I was ready to give it one star because Sprint is horrible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on Arrival - The Blackberry Bold, May 29, 2012
Ike Mcfadden "Ike Mcfadden" (West Palm Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phone, while beautiful, worked for approximately 60 days before "bricking". Google "Blackberry Bold 9930" and "Bricking", and you will learn (belatedly perhaps as I did) that there are widespread reports of this across ZDNET, WIRED and CNBC, with some experts placing the "defective" rate as high as 20%...that's one in every five.

RIM acknowledged the problem in November of 2011 and promised a fix. Six months later, in May of 2012...no fix is in sight.

Sprint, RIM and Amazon.com all seem intent on passing the buck to one of the other parties. No one is properly accepting responsibility in the chain; much less going the extra mile to correct the situation.

It's really quite sad to see how far RIM has fallen; from one of the best handset manufacturers...to one of the worst. This phone has the highest defective rate, evidently, of any handset ever manufactured by any company, according to some reports.
While I halfway expected Sprint and RIM to pass the buck and make a return/exchange/refund difficult, I was honestly surprised at Amazon.com. They have a reputation for standing behind their products and correcting the issue. Unfortunately, that's not the case here. I wrote four letters; all of which were responded to by a 'mail-bot' with canned replies, none of which originated with a human.
So...if you are wiling to spend $600 for a phone that works for 60 days...not including cel service...look no further, Blackberry has a device with your name on it.
Actually, if you are wiling to spend that sort of money for a phone that doesn't really work...please contact me; I will be happy to sell you my broken phone for a substantial discount below what RIM would sell a new broken phone to you for.
Perhaps someone in the chain will surprise me and tend to the problem, but at the moment things look rather bleak.

UDATE - AUG 08, 2012.

Well, after months of trying to deal with my expensive Brickberry, I finally gave up and did what I should have done weeks ago...I got a new phone. A fairly okay Android device. But hey, it works.

Sprint, Blackberry and Amazon should all be ashamed of themselves. I will however give Amazon some respect: they at least returned my calls and emails. They said, "Sorry, we cannot help you, try the manufacturer or the telecom company."

So, they get credit there. Sprint and Backberry have simply failed to reply to any communication; probably a total of 20 or so emails and phone calls spread across the two organizations in the last 8 weeks.

To reiterate: This is a widely-known flaw in the Blackberry Bold line. So widely known it has been reported many times in the tech and news media.
Check out this line of complaints on the Blackberry support forum on the topic...none of which have been answered by anyone at Blackberry.

It's sad to see a once-great company like Blackberry circling the drain. They really had a unique product. But the writing is on the wall for RIM. I guess in some ways I can kind of just shrug and say, "Oh well, they had a nice run."

I think I'm most displeased with Sprint. but perhaps they deserve our sympathy as well. Sprint lost $300 Billion in 2011. AT&T on the other hand *made* $300 billion in the same period. So, I guess Spring has resigned itself to always having second-tier 3G and 4G service in the US with data speeds slower than any over large carrier.

And now they are happy to take $500 from their customers for phones that don't work for more than 30 days. While refusing to address the issue.

In hindsight, Sprint and RIM were made for each other. The two Old Tech Colossuses who can know longer compete and are fiddling while their empires burn.

Samsung and AT&T on the other hand...shockingly...are both profitable companies. I wonder if that has something to do with...oh, I don't know...making products that work? And/or taking responsibility when they sell something that doesn't?

Sprint and RIM, it's been nice knowing you. But you guys, at least at the executive level, deserve everything that's coming your way. Give me a call and let me know how the tragedy unfolds for you.

Just, you know, don't do it on a Blackberry Bold 9930 on the Sprint-Nextell network. Cuz, well, you likely won't be able to.

ARRAY(0xd8762e00)

BlackBerry Bold 9930 Phone (Sprint)
Click for more info