This follow-up to the Curve 8320 is slightly lighter and thinner, while switching to an optical direction control and rubberized sides. It also adds video capture, although other features are similar, including Wi-Fi with UMA, 2 megapixel camera, music player, stereo Bluetooth, 3.5mm headphone jack, and memory card slot.
The slim, affordable BlackBerry Curve 8520 for AT&T is perfect for those who need to be connected to work, friends and family while on the go. It features a highly tactile full-QWERTY keyboard for comfortable, accurate typing, a touch-sensitive trackpad, and dedicated media keys, smoothly integrated along the top of the handset. In addition to Wi-Fi networking, the phone also provides easy mobile access to email, messaging (IM, SMS, MMS), and popular social networking sites (including Facebook and MySpace).
The BlackBerry 8520 features a full QWERTY keyboard and touch-sensitive trackpad for easy typing and navigation, built-in Wi-Fi, and an advanced media player.
The BlackBerry Curve 8520 can access the AT&T Wi-Fi network, the largest in the nation with more than 20,000 U.S. hotspots--including approximately 7,000 Starbucks locations. With a qualifying data plan, you'll get seamless and unlimited access to these domestic hotspots at no additional cost. And when traveling outside the U.S., BlackBerry Curve 8520 users can enjoy the best coverage worldwide with wireless voice coverage in more than 215 countries and wireless data coverage in more than 185 countries.
You'll be able to access BlackBerry App World to download applications from a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones, including games, entertainment, social networking and sharing, news and weather, productivity and more. Other features include a 2-megapixel camera/camcorder, Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, 256 MB internal memory, microSD expansion up to 16 GB, quad-band GSM connectivity for global roaming, and up to 4.5 hours of talk time.
With BlackBerry's push email technology, your email will find you without having to initiate a connection. BlackBerry devices are designed to remain on and continuously connected to the wireless network, notifying you as new email arrives. In addition to the text, you can also receive and view attachments in a wide range of popular file formats, including Microsoft Office, Corel WordPerfect, and Adobe PDF.
Browse the web with the integrated, full-featured browser, which quickly and efficiently displays HTML pages as well as enables you to set up RSS feeds to stay connected to up-to-the-minute news and blog posts. And keep up with your contacts using a variety of instant message (IM) networks, including the integrated Blackberry Messenger as well as downloadable clients for Google Talk, Yahoo! Messenger, and Lotus Sametime.
For corporate users, this BlackBerry device delivers all the enterprise email and messaging capabilities you've come to expect. It's supported on the BlackBerry Internet Service, giving you access to up to 8 work or personal email accounts (including most popular ISP email accounts), as well as BlackBerry Enterprise Server, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM Lotus Domino, Microsoft Exchange and Novell GroupWise environments.
- Quad-band GSM phone for good global voice connectivity (850/900/1800/1900 MHz bands)
- EDGE data connectivity providing average data speeds between 75-135 Kbps--fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services, including full picture messaging, high-speed color Web access, and e-mail on the go.
- Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g) for accessing home and corporate networks as well as hotspots on the go.
- 2.6-inch color TFT screen supports 65K colors and has a 320 x 240-pixel resolution
- Full QWERTY keyboard with built-in familiar layout lets you type messages easily without searching for the letter you want.
- BlackBerry OS 5.0
- Support for BlackBerry App World featuring a broad and growing catalog of third-party mobile applications developed specifically for BlackBerry smartphones. Categories include travel, productivity, entertainment, games, social networking and sharing, news and weather, and more.
- 2-megapixel camera features a 5x digital zoom, built-in flash, self-portrait mirror and full screen viewfinder.
- Video capture capabilities in two resolutions (320 x 240 pixels for saving; 176 x 144 pixels for sending via messaging).
- Upload photos and videos to to photo sharing sites like Flickr or social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace.
- Multi-format digital audio and video player with compatibility for MP3, WMA 9 Pro/WMA 10, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, and more.
- BlackBerry Media Sync is built right into your BlackBerry Desktop Software and lets you sync your desktop iTunes or Windows Media Player music files with your BlackBerry smartphone. If you're a Mac user, just choose the "media" option and you're ready to sync your iTunes music collection from your BlackBerry smartphone onto your Mac.
- Bluetooth 2.0 connectivity with stereo music streaming (A2DP) capabilities as well as hands-free headsets and car kits.
- Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 16 GB.
- Full messaging capabilities including SMS text, MMS picture/video and IM instant messaging (via popular services including AOL, Yahoo!, Windows Live Messenger, and Google Talk)
- BlackBerry Browser for accessing Web sites.
- Organizer tools including calendar, task list, memo pad, and calculator
- Airplane mode allows you to listen to music while the cellular connectivity is turned off
The BlackBerry Curve 8520 weighs 3.9 ounces and measures 4.29 x 2.36 x 0.54 inches. Its 1150 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 4.5 hours of talk time, and up to 408 hours (17 days) of standby time. It runs on the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies.
What's in the Box
BlackBerry Curve 8520 handset, rechargeable battery, charger, USB cable, 3.5mm headset adaptor, quick start guide
- Dual-band EDGE connectivity: This phone provides quad-band GSM coverage (850/900/1800/1900 MHz) for voice as well as GPRS/EDGE connectivity for receiving data. AT&T's EDGE network offers availability in more than 13,000 US cities and along some 40,000 miles of major highways. Providing average data speeds between 75-135Kbps, it's fast enough to support a wide range of advanced data services, including full picture messaging, high-speed color Internet access, and e-mail on the go.
- AT&T Mobile Music enables you to access the Napster and eMusic subscription music services on your phone, stream music video, discover what's playing with Music ID song-recognition software, and find out what's hot with The Buzz music news portal.