4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Groundbreaking, Its Reliable, But Missing OS6, October 22, 2010
This review is from: BlackBerry Curve 9330 Phone, Purple (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I picked up the Blackberry Curve 3G 9330 at my local RadioShack for FREE and walked away with a nice phone at a very reasonable price. The BB Curve 3G has retained everything from the previous Curve models, but now includes 3G which is a must for any phone these days. To offer EDGE is a complete INSULT! It's like someone saying that they still use dial up to access the internet. It still has the same web browser with the ability to zoom in & out with ease. However, a better browser has sadly been missing in action for all BB models since the rise of the iPhone and Android devices that pop up left and right just about every other day. I can safely say that this browser is also one of the best, but it does lack behind the competition. However, the BB excels when it comes to email. Emails are received instantly on BB devices while Android and Apple require that users to hit refresh after accessing their email icon before receiving emails. Of course, the trade off is that the emails don't arrive in full HTML format the way they would appear on a comp screen - another unfortunate trade off.

The new BB Curve has chrome colored edges to give it a more high-end fashion feel though it still retains its inexpensive plastic feel which can be a plus or a negative for some. The device is also extremely light weight. Everyone must remember that the Curve series is now known as the entry level line to RIMMs smartphone's. This means that users are subjected to a lower screen resolution that doesn't exactly look the most vibrant or sharpest. Colors just don't pop and the screen looks like a cartoon every time I look at it. Despite this fact, it still plays videos very well. You can load any video to the device's memory card and it will play very fluidly. Sadly, this device doesn't come with BB OS 6 installed. It does state clearly that its OS 6 ready as soon as the software is ready to be released (Hopefully Soon). I am sure by now everyone is sick and tired of the OS 5 and ready to move on.

The BB Bold 9700 has been out for about one year and it's practically the same price as this model and most places carry the BB Bold 9700 for free, so I'd recommend going with a higher end model over this. The BB Curve 3G might be aiming for the tweens on a limited budget, but nothing changes the required data plan which ends up making the monthly bill the same despite having a different model device.

Pros:
Nice price for new smartphone users (Free in most places)
Nice fashion colors that only the CURVE series has
3.5 MM headjack
Nice form factor
New OS (Currently OS 5, but for OS 6 to arrive soon)
Excellent call quality
Decent Web browser
Mini SD up to 32GB
Use your songs as ringers
3G Internet Speeds
Wi-Fi
Personal Email (Up to 10 accounts can be added)
IM
BB Meesenger
BB App World
Full HTML Web Browser (Sometimes)
Excellent Multimedia Player (Accepts every format possible)
Crystal clear screen for playing videos
Includes 2 chargers (Wall Charger & USB charger)
Includes ear phones

Cons:
For long time BB users, this device is really just a cosmetic upgrade thats still missing the OS6 Software update
Micro USB (No more Mini USB)
Camera is only 2.0MP and it should 8.0MP with HD recording capability
No Flash on the camera
Feels like a plastic toy
Poor screen resolution
Non RIMM Consumer Changes Mind!

Good entry level smartphones for new users who want to save without paying the high price. However, Verizon has pricey data and text messenging plans which are a requirement. It's hard to justify the plan prices for such an average entry level device when Sprint and TMobile offer unlimited everything for only thirty dollars a month. With Verizon, thirty bucks only gets you data and nothing else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade to 8530, November 15, 2010
I have a bad habit of breaking things, and I had broken the trackpad on my 8530. Luckily, the insurance plan I bought for my old Curve simply replaces your BlackBerry if there is any sort of defect, so I wasn't stuck without a phone. I was informed that Sprint no longer carried the 8530, so I would be getting a free upgrade to the newest model.

Well, needless to say, it's pretty much the same thing. I originally upgraded from the 8330 to the 8530, which was a *huge* difference. But right now, the biggest difference I'm seeing is that there's more on-board memory. I was told they did this in the 9330 because it's slated to get the OS6 upgrade, but there's no word on when.

As for the body style, it's honestly the same exact thing as the 8530. The biggest difference there is that they've made it more of a colored chrome in the front, and the battery cover feels more rubberized. It honestly looks like a child's toy. But at least I know I'll never lose it in my purse again.

Overall, the Curve 3G is basically just a faster, more fashion-forward version of the 8530. Hopefully we'll see OS6 with the better browser on it soon!

ARRAY(0xa5e6d9b4)