5.0 out of 5 stars Still learning, but so far, so good

3.0 out of 5 stars battery hog/SIM card issues - **2nd UPDATE**
Published 21 months ago by tkdtko

3.0 out of 5 stars battery hog/SIM card issues - **2nd UPDATE**, June 30, 2012
tkdtko (san antonio tx) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BlackBerry Torch 9860 Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is my 3rd Blackberry & my first touchscreen phone. I had a bad experience with the Palm Pixi when it came out - killed it in less than a month & went back to a Blackberry Curve. I decided to try touchscreen again when the Torch 9860 came out it was time to trade in my old Curve. I love the graphics, the speed and increased functionality compared to my older Curve. However - I'm starting to think I got a bad battery because I'm not seeing where they can claim you get standby time in excess of several days. I'm having to plug mine in twice a day to keep a decent charge & I'm not the type of person who is always on my phone. I use the auto on/off feature, I turned off the WiFi option and when I go to bed at night with a full charge, by morning (with it being off from midnight to 5 AM) I guarantee I'll need to charge it again before I leave for work. It will be at around 50% charged....Maybe that's the price you have to pay for the cool graphics, high speed & touchscreen. This is my first touchscreen so maybe this is normal - I don't know.

UPDATE - not a HOG afterall....I forgot it overnight in the charging cradle & everything has been fine since then. I can go all day & barely drain the battery. I'm sure somewhere in the instructions it told me to FULLY CHARGE BEFORE USING & I probably overlooked it. So as long as you give the battery plenty of time to fully charge you will be fine. Love this phone - just the right size, great graphics, easy to use & plenty fast. I just wish Blackberry wasn't always on the verge of collapse, because I've always liked their products.

2nd update- really disappointed with the construction/durability of this model. At least daily I get a "SIM card error"...sometimes several times a day. You don't know when or why - you just look down & the phone is basically w/o a signal.Easy to fix - just reboot, but annoying to have to do so often. Blackberry's user forum suggests replacing the SIM or even inserting a small piece of paper in the SIM slot to help stabilize the card....disappointing - won't buy this model again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still learning, but so far, so good, January 4, 2012
This review is from: BlackBerry Torch 9860 Phone (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first smartphone, so I'm still on the overall learning curve, but I'm happy so far. I chose this over the Android, and that is proving to be a good choice for me.(My wife as the Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket, which I've played with as well.) I was a Palm user for years and years, so I will say I've been spoiled by the PDA experience - seems no one has quite emulated some of the incredible things the Palm could do.

This phone works for me partly because it DOESN'T do everything the Android does. No flash video, for example, and not as many games & apps available. But for me, the phone needs to be a phone, not an entertainment device, so for what I use it (work) it is perfect. Messaging is great, phone quality is very good, and I can still grab facebook, news, weather and more. (Would be nice if it had flash.)

The size is what I like best - not quite as massive as the Android, not quite as thin either, but decent battery life and fits perfectly in the hand.

So, overall, terrific device.

ARRAY(0xa3063468)