Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BlackRapid RRS-1BB Sport (RS-Sport) (Black)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Grip Type: Strap|Change

on February 22, 2011
I was looking for a different neck strap and stumbled upon the Black Rapid RS-Sport strap. Did my research on some photography forums and the Black Rapid Website and then bought the RS-Sport; OMG! it's the most awesome camera gear addition I've made to my kit. This well designed and well built strap is a leap forward in camera gear for all who are annoyed by the traditional camera strap. I have neck issues and getting the weight of my Nikon DSLR off my neck was a must for my health and well being to enjoy a day of shooting pictures without soreness or a hot sweaty neck. At the same time having the camera safe at my side while still instantly ready to shoot is a dream comes true. It's super comfortable and I can wear it for hours. The bigger the lens the better it hangs at your side, my little 35mm f1.8 prime on the camera feels weightless when I wear the strap. Put on the 70-300mm and you'll know it's there but still very comfortable and the lens hangs down and lens and camera stay safe and tight on my hip.

Be informed and know your needs: Many say that they don't use the Brad strap with their Black Rapid straps, the Sport includes the strap at no additional cost (It's currently the only accessory the Sport strap supports, no Joey packs) I use it all the time, using it really locks the gear in place locking the gear via the strap to your shoulder to keep it from swinging forward when you lean forward. If you don't want to wear it, it does come off so you can use it with or without depending on your activity.

I suggest checking out all of the Black Rapid straps at their web site to determine which strap is the best for your style of activity. I've recommended to friends and family and would buy this exact strap again without hesitation.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2011
I saw this at a photography expo and ordered one after trying it on. I will admit that it takes the weight of the camera off you so it's hardly noticeable. Fantastic fit, didn't slide. Make sure you've adjusted the length so your palm is right where you hold the body when shooting so you just reach down, pick up, and shoot.

A few things I didn't like about it. the strap was a little short, i'm a medium sized guy 5'9", 210 lbs, so it may be too short for even beefier and taller guys. When you're doing shots near the ground, you have to be careful so it doesn't drag. For artistic angled shots away from my body, I don't like having to remove the camera.
And the last thing is that once i've adjusted the strap length, I wish it would stay that way even when I take off the harness, but I find myself having to adjust the length each time.

If you can live with the things I mentioned above, it is a remarkable strap and tons of improvement over the manufacturer's strap that comes with the camera.

[...]
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2015
I can't find anything that I don't like about this strap. It is comfortable, secure, sturdy, and I would not hesitate to order another one, or to recommend it to anyone else looking for a good strap. It carries my D750 and any lens that I may be using with ease, and keeps them securely at my side and out of the way, with ZERO neck fatigue. I have chosen to connect my strap differently than with the supplied stud which screws into the tripod adapter. I removed one of the black, triangular-shaped pieces of plastic where the OEM neck strap is meant to attach to the camera, and the snap ring fits perfectly in that area. It is completely secure, and you don't have to worry about the supplied stud possibly coming unscrewed and having your camera fall. I will also be attaching a lanyard between my tripod quick-connect plate and my camera, and will run a safety strap from that lanyard to the snap ring on the BlackRapid, in the highly unlikely scenario that my main connection point should fail.
Bottom line: Excellent over-the-shoulder strap that I would recommend to anyone, and if you're worried about your connection coming loose, just do what I did and connect to the OEM neck strap point.
review image review image
on February 21, 2011
I have tried several straps recently: the OEM canon strap, California Sun Sniper One, Crumpler The Industry Disgrace, Black Rapid RS4, and the Black Rapid RS-Sport. The RS-Sport works best for me: Canon 7D with a midweight lens (e.g. 70-200 f/2.8L II IS). I can carry this rig comfortably for many hours hiking, with the camera always ready for quick use. What I like about the RS-Sport is the strap that goes under the left arm, preventing the strap from rotating around my body. This is helpful both when shooting and when locking the camera in place while hiking/climbing.
on June 29, 2011
This is a pretty solid sling-style strap. It will only go over your left shoulder, with the camera hanging at your hip on the right side.

A threaded lug is screwed into the camera's tripod socket, and it clips to a locking carabiner on the strap. You can then just let your camera drop (gently of course) and it will hang backwards at your side. When you need to grab it, reach down and pull it up. It's quick and easy. I have carried some large camera gear (almost 8+ pounds) with this strap and it feels very solid.

Note that there is no storage (pockets or zippers or anything) on the strap like some of the other BlackRapid models. For me, that's OK. A note on comfort, the under-arm strap can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable if you're wearing a loose/baggy shirt, as it can sit in an awkward position.
on April 28, 2011
I have had Black Rapid straps for a couple of years.... I love them. I have two RS-4's. But there is one thing that I do not like and that is when you lean over, for instance to look in the trunk of your car, the camera will swing from your side and hit the car. It also makes it difficult to hike if you are going to have to lean over anything.

I though that the stabilizing strap of the sport strap would hold the camera in place.

It does hold it to some extent. But it still swings foward and end up about 6-12 inches below you belly (if leaning over at 90degrees).

Other than that it is very stable. But I don't want it to move much at all. I found a little trick where I can attach a carabiner to my belt and then snap the strap into the carabiner. It holds it great until I need to shoot and then I pop it out. But the RS-4 does this just as well....so I am returning the sport.
on February 18, 2013
Overall it's more comfortable than using my neck strap but don't expect too much...eventually I do feel the weight of my 5DM3 +24-70 2.8L2 .. However there is shoulder no ache at the end of 5-6 hours..
Some cons which I noticed after carrying this for few days
- Doesnt really go well with my shoulder camera bag like my Think Tank Retrospective. They both obstruct each other making you quite uncomfortable. If you are only carrying your camera or backpack then it's ok.
- The sling length adjustment really doesn't work..it keeps getting longer as there is no stopper to prevent the strap from getting longer. There are two stoppers to lock the camera in position while carrying. I had to reposition one of the stoppers to prevent the strap from getting longer. Works for now!!
- the straps gets tangled very easily.
- while bending, sitting or in crowded places you need to hold your camera so as to avoid any damage.
- the connectR which connects the strap and the fastener has a screw lock gate that needs to be screwed for safety. However with a slight twist the screw gets unlocked. this is scary considering that connectR moves within the fastener and there is a possibility of lock gate getting unscrewed through friction.
Obviously I'm paranoid now. I am now using a uniloop connector from Optech as a secondary support. My loop connects between ConnectR and the usual camera strap hook.
This gives me peace of mind at least as secondary safety.
I also purchased the cotton carrier universal adapter plate . This helps me to mount my tripod to the camera without removing the strap. I have not noticed any problem with the adapter plate. Stays tight.
on January 14, 2012
I'm 6ft 2inches / 245 lbs and the Black Rapid RS Sport Extreme Sport Strap was a perfect fit. It doesn't matter how long you shoot for you will immediately appreciate the distribution of weight across your shoulder...talk about a wow! I just spent a couple of hours shooting a swim meet with camera, attached battery pack and 70-200 L lense. Very comfortable ergonomic padded shoulder strap (and additional support from under arm strap). Get over any anxiety you might have on the attachment aspect of this product - it's solid! Hands down one of my most favorite camera accessory purchases to-date. FACT: I will never use a neck strap again. I had tried out a sun-sniper...really doesn't compare to the Black Rapid quality and features.
on December 28, 2015
I read a million reviews and asked in professional photography groups and Black Rapid came highly recommended, so I was excited to order one for my new 5D Mark III. Out of the box, it was super comfy. The padding was great and I liked the sling design. But the negatives quickly outweighed the positives. Your camera is suspended from one point and that makes it bounce around on your hip a lot. But the absolute worst part was, it came unscrewed from my brand new Mark III TWICE in the less than one month I've owned it, causing my camera to tumble to the ground. Not sure if I have a defective unit, or if this is just the nature of this strap, but I've initiated a return and won't be recommending this strap to anyone.
on May 28, 2011
I must admit I too was on the fence about this product, but after reading the stellar reviews around the Internet, As well as the reviews on Amazon...
And after returning from a cruise vacation, Lugging my Nikon D300 and my heavy lenses, I thought there has to be a better way.......And I was right!!
The Black Rapid Sport Strap........takes about 5 min. to get use to.......I"m A 65 year old baby boomer.....and I must tell you that this strap redistributes the weight of your heavy DSLR and what ever lens you happen to have on it..........To a exceptable and comfortable level..you have both your hands free. your camera stays locked, in what ever position you choose to, by setting the bumpers on the strap. You can wear your camera all day and shoot to your hearts content, with out any sort of neck fatigue..........I cant wait to take my Black rapid sport strap , on my next cruise vacation......
I reccomend This wonderful Item to You............It Works!!........