5.0 out of 5 stars Sand on the Decks
Published on November 14, 2007 by David Stapleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Textbook
Published on January 15, 2012 by Michael Berger

5.0 out of 5 stars Sand on the Decks, November 14, 2007
Writing a whole book exclusively about Blackbeard would require a good deal more material than currently exists. The author does an excellent job of collecting together a good deal of the material available and organizing it in a chronological fashion. However, that is probably at most half of the book, the rest is rounded out with general pirate history from the period, as well as pictures and movie stills from the Blackbeard documentary. Ships sanded their decks before going into battle for the added traction it yielded; this book offers that added traction in the history of a notorious pirate.

The only fault I can find in the author's delivery, almost to the point of distraction, is the constant use of Thatch as Blackbeard's real name. Most author's that I have read over the past 10+ years favor the use of Teach as the preferred name. That aside, I found the story line well paced and easy to read. The added bits of pirate history, including the obligatory references to Anne Bonny and Mary Read, were well placed in the chronology to give the reader more of a reference to the time period.

The author has omitted an index, but does include a Sources and Further Reading page. The bottom line is that this is as good a biography of the pirate as I have found, and an enjoyable read to boot.
P-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Textbook, January 15, 2012
As a book on pirates, I would give it 4 stars, as a book on Blackbeard, I give it 3. This book is more about pirates in general than it is about Blackbeard. Not to mention it is set up like a kids book or a textbook. There is just as many pictures as text and a lot of the pictures are stills from the TV movie of the same name. Had I realized this book was connected to a TV movie I would have never purchased it. I have read quite a few pirate books and ALL of the others had the same information and more. It is a general run down of pirate life with a little extra info on Blackbeard. I don't know how much info they have on Blackbeard's history, but if you don't have enough to do a book on only him, call it "Blackbeard and a History of Pirates in the Caribbean". That is basically what this book is. I'm kind of surprised this book had a 5 star rating. I have read other books that didn't focus on Blackbeard and had more info on him than this book. To many pictures and a misleading title. Thought I was getting a 5 star book on Blackbeard, instead I got a textbook with a general pirate lifestyle run down. For the serious reader or someone looking for a good book on Blackbeard, look somewhere else. Not bad, but I was disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great All Inclusive 17th Century Pirate Book!, July 9, 2010
This all inclusive edition about Blackbeard gives a very good chronological approach to the original Pirates of the Caribbean not just Blackbeard! Excellent reference for all who want to know about this time in the history of the Americas and Caribbean Islands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it would be, June 19, 2014
This review is from: Blackbeard: The Real Pirate of the Caribbean (Kindle Edition)
Not as good as I thought would be. Really no info on subject. Lots of generalities on " the typical person during this time period would have......" . Nothing about his childhood , they do not know what ships he served on prior to being a captain. This is not a biography. If you want a good in depth bio on a pirate look for a book on pirate named Roberts. I am sorry I do not remember name of it. Just that it was extremely good. So with that I was hoping this was going to be like that, but was sadly disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SERVICE, November 1, 2011
great service that's it - still haven't read the book yet... that's all i have to say for now... blah blah blah

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackbeard: The Real Pirate of the Caribbean, July 18, 2008
Harrrr... maties! As a huge pirate fan I love this book! Blackbeard Rules!!