4.0 out of 5 stars What the Torch 9800 should've been.....
For most people, the Torch 9800 was the first decent touchscreen phone RIM brought to the market. None of that SurePress nonsense, and the screen was actually responsive enough to be of use when you didn't necessarily want to use the trackpad/keyboard.

Published on September 2, 2011 by Quentin Gerlach

Hi this is my story withi this guys:

Published on January 30, 2012 by Hans Pflucker

4.0 out of 5 stars What the Torch 9800 should've been....., September 2, 2011
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 2 9810 Unlocked Phone with 1.2GHz Processor, GPS, 5 MP Camera and HD Video - Unlocked Phone - No Warranty - Grey (Wireless Phone Accessory)

For all intents and purposes - the Torch 9810 looks NO different than the 9800. If you put them side-by-side, I'm not sure if anyone would be able to tell which is which. That's alright though, since RIM focused on what's really important, and that's the hardware of the phone.

Updates:

- The processor in the 9810 has been upgraded, same one that's in the Bold 9930 - Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.2 GHz. There's no multi-core functionality or anything like that, but the processor upgrade definitely helps makes the Torch 2 a snappier phone.

- "Liquid Graphics Technology" - the Torch 9810 is touted as having this feature too, along with most of the OS 7 phones. Basically RIM put in a separate graphics processor to handle all the visual stuff, which again, does help make the phone seem more fluid and responsive - but don't think that means you won't see the all-too familiar hourglass. You will at times, just not as often.

- Screen resolution has been bumped up. It used to be 480 x 360, but they've increased it to 640 x 480. I was hoping RIM would jump on the qHD wagon and get some phones with that kind of screen resolution, but it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer.

- Updated camera software: the camera is still 5 MP, but the zoom was extended from 2X to 4X, and face detection was added to the Torch 2. There is no front-facing camera, so doesn't look like Video Chat will be working anytime soon on a BB phone....

- OS 7: nice OS, browser is once again improved. The amount of space it takes up in memory seems to have shrunk as well - about 15% less than OS 6. Two new business apps are included, called BlackBerry Protect and Balance. Protect allows your business to remotely monitor, configure and wipe, if necessary, a remote smartphone so when the phone disappears, your whole business life doesn't disappear along with it. And Balance separates business from personal stuff on a BlackBerry, which helps avoid the possibility of confidential data accidentally being sent to all those shady contacts.....

Alright - so is it worth it??
This one is honestly a judgement call - so I'll say it like this: if you have the original Torch, you might not like it, since it feels like this is what the Torch 9800 should've been all along. If you have an older Blackberry - you will like this.

Pros:
1) The upgraded hardware really helps make the phone a pleasure to use. With the faster processor and the increased RAM size, the phone's no powerhouse - but it becomes somewhat competitive with what's out on the market today.
2) Battery life gets a nice improvement: I believe this was an OS issue as much as a hardware issue on the Torch 9800, but it seems that RIM corrected the OS part with the new OS 7 - battery usually lasts me a day, even with Pandora going. Nice job RIM. (Good note to make: the old Torch's battery is compatible with the new Torch)
3) Phone calls - hey, let's face it, the Torch is a PHONE. It can do a whole lot of other stuff - but at the end of the day, it's a PHONE, and I should be able to make PHONE CALLS. Never had a dropped call yet - especially in NYC. Something I hated about the iPhone was that - especially in the city - I would lose a bunch of calls. Never happened with this Torch. Not yet anyway....
4) 4G - RIM's first 4G phone right here. I only experienced the speed once - near NYC. I got around 4 MB/s down - it was beautiful. 4G service is very spotty though - at the moment, especially with AT&T. Should get better as time goes on.

Cons:
1) Battery cover: GOD, I really hate the back that RIM put on this Torch. I don't know what they were thinking, but I trashed it as soon as I saw it. I'll use the old Torch's cover, thank you very much....
2) Same old, same old: RIM tends to get stuck in a rut when it comes to taking some chances with designs. I was hoping the Torch 2 might have some design improvements - or at least some visual improvements, but instead, it's just more of the same. I hope RIM gets willing to take some risk in this field soon....
3) Top buttons way too sensitive: this was a problem on the first Torch too. It was way too easy to lock your phone. RIM, in keeping with the same design elements, also migrated this problem to the Torch 2.

Bottom line: the Torch 2 is a good phone, really what the Torch 1 should've been. If you're okay with it looking like the original Torch, then by all means - jump on this. For the rest of you - you may want to try another Blackberry, such as the new Bold 9930 - or the Monaco, which should be coming out sometime this month.

I'll update this as I use the phone more, but feel free to leave a comment or question below. I'm here to educate, so if I got something wrong, let me know....

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST BUY EVER!!! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTORS, January 30, 2012
Hi this is my story withi this guys:

I bought this BB torch 9810 on october 7th 2011 unlocked from THIS SELLER WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTORS, I used for 1 month here in Peru without any problem, 1 day this message appears in the main screen "PHONE NOT ALLOWED MM6" i search what was the meaning of this, ant it says that the IMEI phone was reported as stolen, lost or did not pay the bill, well I try too many times to contact this seller and finally he answers, and told me to send back the phone for refound, so I sent it back with a friend who went to the US, well, they received the phone and I wait for refound, so guess what? NEVER REFOUND A SINGLE $$$!, intead of that and without any advuse they sent a "NEW" unit, well I said, it's a new phone that they are sending, so no problem right? by that time my wife was in MIA so she bring me back the phone to PERU, and when I opende the box...THE PHONE WAS THE SAME USELESS PEACE OF....! THAT I SENT BACK FRO REFOUND!!! CAN U BELIVE IT!!!, now I have again this useless phone with the same error, and no money at all :(...PLEASE DO NOT BUY NEVER EVER FROM THIS SELLER WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTORS, OR YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent Design, October 12, 2011
Blackberries may no longer be the top 'smart phones' because they don't do everything well but for what I consider their 'core' features - email and phone, in that order - they are still up there at the top. And the Torch and the Bold are the current top Blackberries. As a 'business phone', the Torch combines the best features of previous generation Blackberries with one of the best highly graphical, 'touch' interface for its screen size. If anyone is looking for a 'phone and entertainment' device, there should be better alternatives but when it comes to email/phone productivity, the BBs are still tops.

I do not plan to discuss the Torch long list of features and capabilities. They are all listed at RIM's and 100 other different sites. I will only talk about why I currently prefer the Torch vs. almost anything else (still not decided between a Torch and a Bold) as a 'business' phone even now when my employer would allow me to use other brands if I wanted to.

THE TORCH ADVANTAGE

- Physical keyboard - The most visible Torch feature is the sliding keyboard. This allows for a larger display when compared to, let's say, the Bold, without resulting into a larger phone. The illuminated keyboard seems to be the exact same size of a Bold's, only it becomes available when needed. This is not the only phone with a sliding keyboard but this is probably the best engineered. Sliding the keyboard in and out is quick, near-effortless and it quickly becomes second nature.
- Touch screen - Not the first Blackberry with the feature but this seems to be the best on a BB so far. Yes, it's not as good as iPhone's but, for what I'm using it, it's just right. There is an on-screen keyboard which adapts itself to portrait/landscape but that's the least advantage the touch screen offers. The new Blackberry OS allows me to 'touch' just about anything on the screen and trigger... something. Gestures are also supported including 'pinch-zoom' in and out. And, related...
- Buttons - Maybe this should have been at the top of the list. This Blackberry does not force me to do everything by touching the screen. Almost everything can be done by either pushing/clicking a button and controlling the cursor with the little trackpad or by interacting directly with the screen (tap virtual buttons) or a combination. Most of the time it's 'a combination' for me and it's always the way I feel most comfortable about doing things. I appreciate the ability to use physical buttons when I want it.
- Email integration - This is a 'soft' feature. The Torch can integrate several email accounts, including the 'enterprise' email into one 'consolidated' mailbox while still giving me the ability to view them separately if I chose to do so.
- Wi-Fi - The Wi-Fi ability saves money. My employer encouraged me to pick a plan that charges by the call. Unless it's a VoIP. Therefore, while at home or in the office, the Torch makes calls the Wi-Fi way at no cost to my employer.

THE LETDOWNS

[Some of the comments below may or may not apply, depending on the carrier you're using.]

- The App Store - Not so good, not too many selections and a lot of 'premium' apps doing things that lots of free apps or significantly less expensive apps would do in an Android or Apple environment.
- Paid GPS and other services. GPS does not need 3G or any connection to the phone company to do what GPS does. My in-car GPS takes me from here to there, updates its maps (for free) whenever I connect it to my laptop and it gives me real-time traffic updates. And I don't pay one dime in subscriptions. GPS should be free.
- Many More 'premium' Services - I understand that phone companies want to make as much money as they possibly can but competition is tough and I found no incentive to take advance of paid 'radio' or similar offers.
- The Battery - Without watching movies, just a little bit of Web browsing and regular phone and mail, the Torch would need daily recharges. It would go for 2-3 days with phone and email (no browsing) only. A longer battery life would have been nice.

MY RATING (4.5 stars)

I will round this up to 5 stars because I am really happy with my Torch. There are some real issues when it comes to 'apps' and services other than phone and mail but, from my point of view, they don't matter to me much. Yes, the battery is a concern and at time I worried about running out of juice in a place where a recharge was no possible, but all the other 'weak' features I don't miss because I don't use them. The Torch is my 'business' phone and just about everything that impacts my business is done well.

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<

5.0 out of 5 stars Blazing Fast!, August 31, 2011
I've been using Blackberry bold series for a long time and decided to give a try to Torch 9810. When I took it out from its box, I was amazed by its speed and screen resolution. It comes preloaded with the new Blackberry OS 7. I like the new operating system a lot. People might think that the new torch isn't that great upgrade from the previous torch. However, you will be amazed by its performance once you start using it. The touch screen is very responsive and the icons look great. It is a bit heavy device and big in hand but I like it overall. The keyboard is basically the same as the old torch. It has 8gb built-in memory which is plenty enough for me. I would highly recommend this device to anyone who is still hesitating to buy this device. My personal rating for this phone is 9 out of 10. Hope it was helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE !!!!!, February 20, 2012
I wish I had read the reviews here before I purchased this phone in December (Blackberry Torch 9810). I have had nothing but problems with it. The worst one is precisely for the reason I bought it -- to sync with my outlook calendar. It's a nightmare! After it synched a few times, I began to get an error message. There is NO ONE in tech support. The website is about as user friendly as the phone which in my opinion is:NOT AT ALL. The store where I purchased it gave me a "12,000" step (exaggerating for emphasis) solution to the problem. It corrected the problem for about three weeks. Now I get the error message again. This phone is completely useless to me as a scheduling device. Aside from that, the touch-screen is super-sensitive. Thus, in any moment you may find that you're the owner of a new app, unwittingly purchased by your sleeve from the Blackberry App store or some other unwanted download of something or other. Seriously, it's so bad that even Blackberry does not dedicate any customer service resources to it. This is my first and LAST blackberry purchase ever! It pains me to write such a negative review but honestly, if I could spare even one person the frustration I deal with on a regular basis because of this phone, then it's worth every word of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Should you get another Blackberry?, January 8, 2012
I decided to use my dad's phone because he wasn't too keen on a Blackberry, his first smartphone. So well, let me take this point by point, the torch 2 is an interesting phone, the design is good and so on, let me break this down for you.

Features -
a) 5 Megapixel Camera, a fast processor, some inbuilt memory, OS 7.0 and camera with flash
b) A very stable battery life, possibly the best I've had since the original Blackberry Curve
c) A "fair at best" speakerphone
d) Call Quality was average, a step below all Blackberries I've used, signal is kinda choppy but that could be the network.
e) The slide out qwerty keyboard gives you access to the standard blackberry keyboard. This is flimsy and opens easily.
f) Light weight, easy on the eyes, nice big LED, thank god for the trackpad, the touchscreen isn't all that

PROS -

a) If I were to change to an Android phone tomorrow, the first thing I would miss the EXCELLENT battery life of this Blackberry. Sometimes the phone lasted me a day and half with regular usage. It takes very little time to charge. The most annoying thing about the iPhone 4S was that the battery life (despite the software updates) kept dying for me within 14 hours irrespective of usage.

b) GPS works good, I was actually very surprised but the Google Maps worked very good on this phone. Initially I found the multi-tasking easy but I like to maximise battery so I close apps that are not running and i suggest you do the same especially applications such as CAMERA, GOOGLE MAPS and BLACKBERRY APP WORLD are BATTERY-HOGGERS.

c) While I have used Blackberries with better keyboards, the design of the phone makes it just about adequate for people who don't text every minute of the day. I wish the keys felt better but the manufacturer had little room to manuever with this design so they did a fairly good job.

d) OS 7.0 - Although it is a bit of a hit and miss, the OS is good until it crashes (tbc)
e) Sturdy - Even though I had to go invest in a new BACK PIECE, it must have been something I did.

CONS -

a) This is meant to be a touchscreen phone but I would seldom use that feature because it is sub-par at best. The typing on the screen is ridiculously bad using the onscreen keyboard. sometimes things wouldn't click, sometimes while browsing I would hit the wrong button. The touchscreen is HALF BAKED.

b) Tinny - earphone speaker volume - not very clear ... The Blackberry bolds have far better voice clarity.

c) After about 45 days of using this phone, the software just crashed on me this morning and I didn't have a recent backup so I've lost my recent notes, recent contacts and call history including BBM.
Obviously, this will make me once again consider going back to the HTC EVO or upgrading to the HTC Sensation XL.

d) Limited multimedia experience. Blackberry has been unable to convert the phone into a multimedia warehouse like Apple or Google. Granted the target audience doesn't care about such things but it is very annoying for someone who wants a one stop device for all features. I've used Androids and the Apple. Apple undoubtedly has the best music player.

e) I'm not an App freak but the Apps on Blackberries are a joke and Blackberry ID is very annoying. RIM is not very app focused, Palm wasn't either, maybe it's time for an Android integration?

f) The menu is not as easy to scroll and configure as Android or Apple.

g) The browsing experience is very average, the phone is slow, googling seems high laborious.

h) Horrid Camera. Possibly the worst camera I've used among recent phones. I go through a lot of phones and the camera is bad unless the lighting is very good. I'd give the camera a 5.5/10. The 9780 has a much better lens. The various settings mode are useless. Changing the RESOLUTION makes no difference. The camera is at par with the camera on the BLACKBERRY TOUR or Curve 2 (the one with the trackball)

BUYER'S DECISION MAKING -

If you are an Android or iPhone user and hate it so much for the battery life, you will like this phone but read my review again so you know what you're getting into. Everyone in India seems to have the Blackberry which is why I stuck with mine for 7 weeks but I think I'm going to do some research and invest in an HTC Android.

If you are a current Blackberry user and have a trackball based device - you will like this phone.

If you are a current BB user who has a blackberry curve with trackpad - Look into the Androids or the iPhone

For me, overall, the torch 2 is more good than bad. My software crashed last night and I got the ERROR 102. This has really upset me because I lost a lot of my data. I know it is my mistake that I did not back up the data but I thought the OS 7.0 would be a step above OS 5.X and OS 6.X so I never bothered.

This was my first touchscreen Blackberry but the slider always keeps opening when it's in my pocket. I am somehow not comfortable with the design and feel the blues when I hold the 9780.

Perhaps you should check the 9780 / 9790 if you need to keep a blackberry. The Bolds are always the most stable BLACKBERRIES I am now noticing.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelente compra, October 27, 2011
Excelente compra. El producto llego a tiempo y en buens condiciones.hasta ahora los equipos están trabajando excelente. Están trabajando con Movistar y no tuvieron ningún problema

1.0 out of 5 stars poor service from seller, April 24, 2012
i purchased my bb late November 11. the phone was rec'd in January as i live in trinidad, the phone worked well for the first two weeks and then never came back on. i informed ABE-123 via e-mail who advised to send it back. when they rec'd the phone they informed that the battery needed to be replaced, so they replaced it & shipped it to the address given, no one was available to collect so fedex took it back to ABE-123 who did not see it fit to contact me. weeks later they confirmed they had it in their possession and was advised to re-ship item. almost a month past and they still did not reply. amazon advised to file an A-Z claim. I paid $405.00 for the phone & the refund was $263.25, which is ridiculous. so the phone was used for 2 weeks, is like brand new & they came up with a refund like that. my view is that if it was just the battery why not send me the phone or give me back what i paid for it. my advice to any buyer is - if you are not a citizen of the US do not purchase from ABE-123, the customer service SUCKS!!!!!!!, there is a delayed response time from this seller when queries are made.

2.0 out of 5 stars THE PACKAGE WAS EMPTY, February 1, 2012
I BOUGTH THIS PRODUCT A FEW WEEKS AGO BUT WHEN I RECEIVED IT I REALIZE THAT THE PACKAGE WAS EMPTY, THE BOX WHERE THE PHONE SHOULD BE IS EMPTY!

1.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE READ before buying, January 15, 2012
This phone has a horrible BATTERY LIFE!
- battery life is the worst. background programs can overheat and drain your battery extremely. I lost 40% of my battery while sleeping over night from background programs and my data plan was turned off.
- if your battery hits zero you can NEVER CHARGE IT AGAIN! I had my phone for 2 weeks and my battery is dead. Its a common battery issue in the model. google it if you dont believe me.

Rate and Discover Movies