4.0 out of 5 stars Fine balance of features
Published on December 7, 2011 by PrinterCPE

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Do Those Buttons Have to Be Physical??
To the previous reviewer, no, this device is definitely NOT a 1-star device.

Published on October 20, 2011 by Re2st

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Do Those Buttons Have to Be Physical??, October 20, 2011
Re2st (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 9850 Phone (Sprint)
To the previous reviewer, no, this device is definitely NOT a 1-star device.

I've got to give it a prop to RIM for fixing what mostly (not all) was wrong with Storm 2. The touch screen is actually quite responsive, and the keyboard is rather pleasant (although not as pleasant as iOS keyboard). Since I'm used to using touch screen only (no physical keyboard) on my iPhone, typing is not an issue. My biggest issue is with the four physical buttons on the bottom. They should have been touch-sensitive instead.

Those 4 buttons are necessary, because otherwise you won't be able to go Back, bring up Menu, and Answer/Reject calls. However, mixing touch interface with physical press is a sure recipe for disaster (I thought RIM has learned it the hard way with that terrible sure-press). When you're in the middle of the action on the screen (touch, swipe, slide, you name it), it is counter-intuitive to have to go back and physically press the buttons for the 4 important things they're needed for. It takes a second or two to realize that you need to go back to old-school press with those buttons. you touch the button, and then you realize why it's not responding: you need to press it! It is a pain to have to go back and forth between touch and press.

You might argue that you'll get used to it, but what's the point, really. It will slow you down. I don't mind the look of those buttons (unlike most reviews that complain mostly look-wise). I just wish they are touch sensitive, or are given the options to turn them touch sensitive or not.

As for the virtual keyboard, as I said earlier, they're surprisingly pleasant to use. Of course, if this is your first foray into non-physical keyboard on a smartphone, you will probably hate it. But then again, why would you get a touch-screen-ONLY BlackBerry when you know you need to have a physical keyboard?

As for OS 7, it is much more polished than OS 6. Movements are speedy, icons are gorgeous. The build quality itself is top notch. I like how smooth the screen is (save for those 4 buttons).

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine balance of features, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 9850 Phone (Sprint)
After years of a physical keyboard I expected a big compromise to go to touch-only. Within a day, the virtual keyboard was at least as productive, and the 9850's intelligent correction takes care of most of my typos anyway. Screen is fantastic - first one I've ever seen that can be used easily in direct sunlight. Battery life is superb - 10 hours of serious use is no problem. No million available apps like i- and droid, but still more than I need or want. Great for syncing with Outlook (a problem with Android), and easy options for tethering. I read the complaints about the mix of touch and "hard" keys, but for me this mix is very functional. And the feel, size, weight, and look are all first rate. Android and iPhone may be better toys, but this Torch shines if you really mean business. A wonderful surprise how much better it is than I expected.

1.0 out of 5 stars blackberry is falling off...., April 28, 2012
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 9850 Phone (Sprint)
I guess Blackberry really is becoming a thing of the past. I had bought the torch because the previous Blackberry I had used, I fell in love with it. At that time I was a faithful "Team Blackberry" proponent. I purchased the Blackberry torch back in October 2011. After only three months I was kicking myself for purchasing this phone. If only I could turn back the hands of time. I definitely would not have gotten this phone. Too bad I can't advance my upgrade because I definitely would take advantage of it now if I could. I have to wait at least until June 2013 before I'm eligible for another upgrade. I caution people STAY AWAY FROM THIS PHONE. It's definitely not worth it. I believe a keyboard instead of just a screen would make the phone more user-friendly. Guess I'm just a fan of Qwerty keyboards. The battery life leaves something to be desired as well.

Pros:
- picture quality is decent
- multiple screens to view different tabs
- sleek design
- easy to use features for experienced Blackberry users
- BBM

Cons:
- battery life
- buttons on screen freeze up
- buttons on screen are too small, at least for certain fingers
- screen lock not helpful
- speakerphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop complaining about lack of human awareness, and embrace your brain preferences, November 25, 2011
Utah (La Grange, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 9850 Phone (Sprint)

I find the two reviews before mine to be lacking self-awareness of how a human being interfaces with any device.

With self-awareness and proper training on what to pay attention to, you will notice about all phones the following:

1) Your eyes work very hard on a touchscreen to provide 100% visual confirmation of every action, and your fingers provide no confirmation or provide feedback to your brain.

2) Your fingers feel the keys on a physical keyboard, and add quite a bit of feedback to your brain along with your eyes, essentially provide a double-check.
--------------------------
Well aren't we lucky then:

This phone has both a few physical keys and a touchscreen.

Both of the prior reviews are complaining about personal preference, a lack of specific awareness of their own human body, and not the phone itself.

-- Buy a keyboard phone if you appreciate your "Muscle memory", and the tactile feel of the keyboard, definitely requires less of your eyes, and gives you a certain amount of passive force-feedback.

-- Buy a touchscreen phone if you appreciate 100% visual confirmation for every button, requiring more of your eyes and no passive force-feedback.

-- Buy this Blackberry if you want a mixture of the two, which is actually very nice.

PROS:
----
Press the "end" key, which is always physically there, at any time in any application and it will kill/stop whatever app you're on.
Press the "escape" key, also which is always physically there, at any time in any application and it will almost always undo whatever you just did.
Press the "phone" key, oh--which is ALWAYS PHYSICALLY THERE, at any time in any application and the phone opens immediately for you to make a call.

CONS: I already pointed mine out, above, as did Re2st and Tom "Tom".

1.0 out of 5 stars worst experience with a cell phone..., April 2, 2012
Majac3356 (Ochlocknee, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 9850 Phone (Sprint)
had it two years i.e. stuck with it for two years! one lasted a couple of months and died... went through hoop after hoop until it was replaced. then spent the remainder of the two years hating the second one...

save yourself lots of pain and suffering; get a pay as you go or pick up a stick from the ground for better satisfaction!

i moved to page plus vowing (because of my black berry experience) never to sign a contract again. burned once, your fault; burned twice, my fault and i won't be burned twice!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this phone, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 9850 Phone (Sprint)
This phone has been nothing short of a pain in my side and one of the worst touch screen smart phones I have ever used. It is nearly impossible to spell more than three words in a row correctly without turning the phone on its side to do so. However once you do this you are left with less than ˝ and inch to see the screen. Is there a way to calibrate the phone like every other phone on the market...no there isn't. The predictive text is worse than bad. This is also one of the slowest phones I have ever used. There is a clock that shows when the phone is processing, and every time I try to go from function to function on this this wonderful clock pops up and tries to process my request. The GPS on this phone is worthless. I can understand losing signal from time to time in rural locations, but this phone can't even hold a signal in a normal city. The battery life is a joke. You will need to have a charger with you at some point in time during the day if you plan to use your phone after 4:00pm. Do not waste your money on this phone or you will be upset, even if you get it for free I would throw it away and save you hours of frustration and curse words.

1.0 out of 5 stars I despise this phone, October 20, 2011
Tom "Tom" (Memphis, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackberry Torch 9850 Phone (Sprint)
Everything about the phone is nearly flawless except it is almost impossible to input anything with the touch screen keyboard. Maybe if I had little pin sized fingers. I had and older Curve and I just hit "add to cart" for the newer Curve 9350 with the real keyboard. I hate this phone so much I'm just going to eat the +-$400 or so it's going to cost me in total between paying for the Torch and replacing it with the Curve.