5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't read it fast enough!
A crazy snowstorm blankets Seattle in May, but it's not the first time. A fluke snowstorm fell in May of 1933 too and the editor of The Herald wants Claire Aldridge to write a feature article about the May storms--about Blackberry Winter.

During Claire's research of the storm of '33, she finds a newspaper article about Vera and her three year old son who went...
Published on September 25, 2012 by Laura Kay

2.0 out of 5 stars No Spoilers Here--Totally Predictable Novel
I downloaded this novel to my Kindle after a recommendation in a magazine (can't recall which) sparked my interest. I love a good flip-flop back and forth in time mystery novel. As a mother, I was drawn to the story of the disappearance of a little boy in the 1930s and the present-day reporter who would solve the case. LOVE this idea, but this novel was so disgustingly...
Published on October 11, 2012 by Rachel N De For

‹ Previous | 114 15 1645 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Ms. Jio for another great yarn!, November 17, 2013
Sarah Jio again....you are wonderful. I love your stories. My only disappointment, is when they are finished. I read this so fast that I was yearning for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, November 16, 2013
I love books by Sarah Jio. I find I really get caught up in them and her books have a great twists and turns. I loved the storyline, her writing and the believability of her characters, which grow on you. I particularly love the way the main characters grow throughout the story. Definitely a book I looked forward to curling up every evening with. I absolutely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another heartwarming novel from Sarah Jio!, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Blackberry Winter: A Novel (Paperback)
Sarah Jio has the amazing ability to traverse time in a unique and distinctive manner. Blackberry Winter is just such a novel. It begins during the 1920,s when a young woman fell in love, conceived a child with a man above her class in society, and realized she couldn't survive in his world or he in hers. In
1930, their child was three and she was desperately trying to support them. A terrible snowstorm struck their town in May and she left the three year old home alone. When she returned he was gone. And Vera's young life definitely took a turn for the worst.

The story is told from alternating points of view, Vera the young mother from the thirties and Claire, a journalist with an assignment to write about another cold front and blizzard in May some eighty years later. Claire lost her firstborn in the eighth month of pregnancy. During her research, she found the story of the missing boy, Danny and vowed to find what had happened to him and his loving mother, Vera.

Back in those days, everything was a struggle of class. If you were poor, the law was not in your corner. If you were high society, your secrets would be kept and you were safe from investigation.
Definitely not a time I would have appreciated living in. Sarah was able to define the character's of these two women who shared the loss of their children. She developed her characters carefully and exposed their inner strengths, their weaknesses and their dreams.

This is a story of hope and love that transcends time. Tears stained my cheeks as I read through this tragedy, especially the last third of the book, where mysteries were brought to light and resolutions occurred. It is certainly a love story told from a compassionate heart!

I am only regretting it took this long to get to read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blackberry Winter, October 28, 2013
Blackberry Winter
I was captured by the very first paragraph and I remained engrossed to the very last sentence. This story is so moving and told in a way that tugged at my heartstrings and brought me to tears, both sad and sweet. I was completely transported from one era to the other, making me feel like I was IN the story with the characters, which can only be accomplished by a gifted author. Kudos to Sarah Jio for caring, and making her readers feel like they're "living" in the story. Blackberry Winter is a haunting, beautiful story about a mother's love, as well as a love for family, friendship, and marriage. It begins with love and weaves in mystery, hope, disappointment, kindness, unthinkable loss, selfishness, and then concludes with a love; a timeless love between mother and child. Sighhhhh.
I was also inspired by the generosity of certain characters. After reading this story, I recognized the hardships of someone less fortunate than I. So much so, I acted on that in a way that touched me just as much as (if not more) than the recipient. I checked this book out of the library, and will be purchasing a copy for my personal library. A story to be talked about and shared with others. Beautiful, beautiful story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Wait to Find Out How it Ended!, October 28, 2013
Thank you to Penguin and Netgalley for this copy of Blackberry Winter. I was given this in exchange for an honest review. Sarah Jio has another great story!
Synopsis:
Vera and Claire have one thing in common they have both lost children. One day in the present Claire a reporter is asked to write a story for the Seattle Herald about the last Blackberry Winter in 1933. There was one major event where a child went missing. While Claire investigates this story she is also dealing with a husband who is not really present in her life. We also meet Vera the mother of the missing boy back in 1933. Part of this story is told by Vera as she shares what happened during that winter. What happened to Vera? What happened to the little boy? Will finding the answers help Claire to move on?
My Thoughts:
I liked this story and wanted to see how it turned out. I had a hard time liking the character of Claire initially. The author did a great job conveying her sadness to the readers. I also was heartbroken for Vera and her loss. The plot was what got most of my interest. I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out. Ms. Jio is developing into quite a storyteller.
I have not experienced loss like both these mothers did. I hope to know what it is like to have a family in my future. I do understand fighting for what is right and fighting for the right to tell a story that needs to be told. One aspect that is true about our culture is the class divide between the wealthy and the poor. These distinctions are not as true today as they were in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Novel, October 25, 2013
Blackberry Winter is a heartwarming tale of loss and discovery. When a late spring snowstorm surprises Seattle exactly eighty years after a similar storm, Claire is assigned by her editor the task of writing a human interest story linking the two storms. Claire finds a mystery from the past and by solving that mystery also solves a mystery in her husband's family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Women Two Different Times, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Blackberry Winter: A Novel (Paperback)
Two different women. Two different times. We meet them both. Vera and her child, Daniel, in the 1930's and Claire in today's Seattle. Claire becomes intrigued with Vera's story because her son, Daniel, disappears during a snow storm. Claire's editor has asked her to write about two different snow storms occurring in the same day. She thinks it's a story just to keep her busy until she encounters Vera.

The tale weaves back and forth between Vera's life and Claire's own. Both women have deep issues. As Claire researches Vera and her life, she finds herself solving her own problems. The book is skillfully written and easy to read. And, the reader discovers that the two stories are linked. Ready for a charming and lovely story? Pick this one up.

5.0 out of 5 stars BookaholicA, October 19, 2013
Love,loved the book. Kept my interest from the start. Easy read. Going back to read more of her creations. Can't wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!~, September 30, 2013
A must read. Enjoyed every minute of it. A very heart warming book. Using it for book club. Anxious to discuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, September 28, 2013
This review is from: Blackberry Winter: A Novel (Paperback)
I got this on my kindle and liked it so much, I bought a copy for my aunt on her 99th birthday.... I hope she liked it as much as I did..

‹ Previous | 114 15 1645 | Next ›

Blackberry Winter: A Novel
Blackberry Winter: A Novel by Sarah Jio (Paperback - September 25, 2012)
$15.00 $9.83