Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Blackbird
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

81%
19%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 4, 2005
This is fabulous CD, with brilliant performances by all three musicians! Berg's treatment of all these songs, especially the classic "All The Things You Are" and "Blackbird", is constantly inventive and fresh. An elegant tour-de-force by this marvelous trio of jazz masters!
on April 27, 2005
I'm a jazz fan and music lover. Even if you are not into jazz per se, or just want to explore the genre, this CD is a must. Three fine musicians have put together a great blend of tunes, tempos and solos on Blackbird. Great skill on piano, bass and drums make this an "all play" CD. Great for kicking back, dinner music, or heading down the highway with the stereo cranked up to catch the "finery". Here's hoping there is more of the Shelly Berg Trio in the future!
on July 25, 2005
Shelly Berg is an atypical pianist. His extraordinary technique that derives from rigorous classical training is meticulous, and his placements of notes, rhythm, and colours are precise, deliberate, and simply superbly executed.

Here is someone whose strong gravitaty grabs your attention even when spoken softly. This recording is such a fine example of how deliberate execution that is only possible from high level of rigorous training brings such a magical experience, and is a strong reminder that it takes subtlety, not innundation to make a point across the space between the music and the mind.
on May 9, 2013
Discovery in itself is newness. How is it that an interpretation of a well-known piece of music can even be discovered? How is it that an artist can even find something left unsaid? Accepting these skeptical notions and using them as elemental positions in the evaluation of performance falls on its face when you listen to what has been wrought by Shelly Berg and his companions. You may think you have heard "blame it on the sun". You may have in your mind that all subtlety that Stevie intended in this complex personal and wholly internal conversation has been said. Luckily, you are wrong. Me too. Come to this recording naked. Come here and experience something new and at the same time something so familiar that it welcomes you with an unabashed embrace. Come see that what you thought you knew has changed. Come see how much closer to the mark these men came.
Jazz, it is often said is evolving, it's living in us and we carry it with us. I imagine that if you, like me, keep watch for the pure expression of what jazz is, you will find the standard bourn by Shelly Berg.
on June 15, 2011
I bought this as a gift for my mother. She is a jazz junky, especially for a solid trio. I listed to some of this trio's other stuff and loved it. My mom received it and said it's one of the best trios she's ever heard.
on September 4, 2007
I had the opportunity to explore about 15 jazz Trio/CDs at a local morale library, while deployed in the Middle East. I knew nothing about the artists, having a preference for musicians of the 60's. I was very impressed with Shelly Berg's technique and more importantly, how well his band performed together. His CD stood far above the rest in quality, rhythm, syncopation, recording...I could go on... There isn't any over-powering performance of one instrument (similarly, to how some popular artists treat other band members). Each member does nothing more than compliment each other and the song.

The music is absolutely exquisite. For any jazz connoisseur, I highly recommend this impeccable work of art.
on June 5, 2009
Shelly Berg Trio shines in great, eclectic array of selections, including two originals by Berg. Tight playing, wonderful charts. Something new everytime we listen.
on June 24, 2007
I caught Shelly's performance at UT with the Jazz Orchestra. After the performance one of the professors walked up and shook Shelly's hand saying, "Pure joy Shelly, it was pure joy". And I would have to agree. I came home and bought this album that night. It's great.
on February 25, 2011
My brother and I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing Shelly Berg on this years cruise! I just bought "Blackbird" and " Nearness of You" Two really great cd`s! I love Shelly`s playing,he`s "the most!"Dont miss out!!
on February 19, 2013
Please see my rating of Old Men's Moccasin house-shoes. I'm awaiting my own pair at this time, after buying a pair for a close friend of mine, Arthur Johnson, R.N., B.S.N.