Published on January 31, 2011 by S. Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic rack
For quick release hubs. Good basic rack, but not as versatile as the Topeak racks. No cracks or fails with about 6 months of daily loaded riding
Published 19 months ago by Bradley D. Bouffiou

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a solid rack, but the product description is useless., January 31, 2011
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
"This rack has permanent 3/4" spacers at the axle mounts to accommodate disk brakes and measures 14 1/2" from the deck to the center of the axle. The deck is 5" wide and 13" long. It comes with a mounting kit that includes a 9" long replacement skewer, adjustable hangers to connect to seat stays, and all the necessary nuts and bolts. The kit also includes 2 sets of rubber-coated tube clamps (1/2" and 9/16") for mounting to bikes without threaded bosses on the seat stays." - THAT is a product description.

While specific load capacity is not listed, It looks like it could handle 40 to 50 pounds without a problem. Like all the Blackburn racks I've seen, this one is made well enough that it will last as long as the bike it is put on. This rack does have a lifetime warranty. As the other reviewer noted, it is compatible with their co-pilot child seat. The deck on the rack is about 5" x 13" and so it works with most panniers and is long enough to slide them back some as needed. If the rack were taller and had a solid deck like the MTN racks (to block spray in wet weather), it would be ideal. Unfortunately, it does not fit my bike. That's too bad for me, because in other respects the rack is fine.

While no sizing information was given here, the manufacturers web-site says that this rack will fit "26" and 700c Frames". Since 700c is a wheels size, I read this as "Bicycle frames with 26" and 700c wheels". (A 700c denotes 622mm diameter rim made for clincher tires, originally used with skinny tires that gave a 700mm total diameter.) I have confirmed with tech support that 700c refers to road bikes only. The distance from the wheel skewer (quick release axle)to the rack is only 14 1/2", so a 700c mountain bike tire (29") will rub against the rack. A road bike with fenders may also have an issue. Why not avoid this confusion and simply give the side support bar length instead? Other racks that attach to threaded sites near to the axle drop-outs have a similar sizing issue because there is no standard location for the lower mounting sites either. It seems to me that describing a rack by rim size is just silly.

If you have an adult bike with disk brakes and tires that are less than 29" total and need an axle mount, this is a good choice. Installation should take less than 30 minutes on just about any bike. Call Blackburn for more info. Maybe if enough people bug them, they will put more detail and installation instructions on their web-site. If you have threaded rack mounting sites near your rear wheel drop-outs and up on the seat stays, you might look at the Topeak Explorer for disk. You will have to bug them too for specific sizing information, but they do have installation details on their site. If you don't have threaded sites and are having trouble fitting, or if you have a rear shock, look at Old Man Mountain racks for disc, they're more but they're nice, and they fit 29ers with room to spare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Rack for Bikes with Disc Brakes, July 26, 2013
J. Bluhm (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
My bike is a 2013 Giant Revel 1. I bought this rack specifically for a Copilot Taxi kid's seat.
The rack installs easily and feels very solid. Even when riding off-road (not with the kid, of course) the thing hasn't moved. The kid's seat slides on like it should and feels very solid once properly attached.
One concern I have is, I can't find a manufacturers website specifically stating this rack is safe for the kid's seat. Blackburn's website states it is compatible with the Copilot seats but I cannot find Copilot's website stating the same. Either way the seat feels safe enough to me to ride my child around on paved paths.
The only other thing with this rack is it sits really low compared to where my seat is. My kid is pretty much staring at my lower back when riding. This could definitely be due to my bike's geometry and nothing to do specifically with the rack, its just an observation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blackburn Axle-mount rack, August 11, 2012
Paul (Phoenix, Az) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
This rack is a bargain among axle-mounted panier racks. It fit up very nicely on my cyclo-cross bike with 700x35 tires, but may be a bit tight for 29ers with taller tires. Light weight and very stiff. No noticeable sway. The steel extension tabs that attach to the top seat-stay eyelets were a bit too long, so I cannibalized an old blackburn eyelet mounted rack I had that had shorter straps and it fit up a bit cleaner, although the longer straps would have still worked. The extra-long skewer that comes with it struck me as a bit cheap looking, but it seems to work fine.

For bikes that don't have drop-out eyelets, axle-mounted racks are a much better way to go than seat-post mounted racks, but you do have to remove the skewer completely in order to remove the back wheel.

5 full stars for value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic rack for road bikes, April 15, 2014
R.G. (irving, tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
I commute daily to work on a Cannondale road bike with 700c wheels. I need to carry panniers, but my bike does not have any drop-outs or braze-ons. I started off with a seatpost mounted rack (Delta Post Porter) and quickly switched to this one. Everything I needed was included in the package: A new quick release skewer to secure the bottom of the rack, and little rubber-coated metal pieces that go around my seat stays and secure the bottom of the rack.

Installation was definitely harder than with the seatpost mounted rack (which is an absolute snap to install), but not too awful. And now that it's installed... this thing is rock solid. I regularly load it down with about 20-25 lbs of stuff, which is right at the limit for the Delta rack, but only about half the limit for this rack (it can handle up to 40 lbs). The Delta rack rattled, and made the back of my bike feel squirrely/unstable. With this rack, I can hardly tell it's back there. It handles my load with ease and is super stable.

I've replaced the back tire with this rack attached, and it doesn't take much more time than doing so without the rack attached.

A couple of minor quibbles that made me knock this down to 4 stars:
- Since the rack sits much lower than a seatpost-mounted rack, I have to be careful about heel strike when I'm riding with panniers. I usually use a Detours Mondovelo messenger bag or an Ortlieb front pannier, and those work pretty well. An Ortlieb rear pannier has to be mounted with one of the clips in the "square" in the rack that's closest to me, and then it occasionally slides forward as I ride and hits my heels. It's easy enough to push it back, just a little annoying.

- I use a Burley child trailer with the classic hitch, and the quick release skewer is so wide that it rubs against the trailer hitch arm. This is because of the spacers designed to make room for disc brakes, but I don't have disc brakes. I wish the spacers were removable. Ultimately, I can't complain too much because after all, the rack *is* meant for bikes with disc brakes :)

But those really are nitpicks. Bottom line, I highly recommend this rack, especially if your bike isn't compatible with a regular rack. It is far, far better than a seatpost rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, August 20, 2013
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
I purchased this rack to replace my rack that was noncompitable with my mtn. bike. The rack is compatible with my co-pilot child bike seat and it was exactly what I needed. Easy to install! So glad I found it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic rack, March 29, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars just the rack we needed, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
a friend gave us a Co-Pilot bike seat, but did not give us the rack for it. This is the rack to buy. Easy to install even though the instructions are minimal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best rack for the money, August 27, 2014
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
Great product, easy to install and now I can easily switch my sons bike seat between my bikes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading advertising, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
The manufacturer claims this is a universal rack that fits bikes with a 700c frame. It may fit some bikes of that size but not all - despite the use of the word "universal."

For many bikes the rack requires that the extenders (used to stabilize the rack by securing it to the frame) be clamped to the seat stays. Unfortunately, the size of the clamps are very small and do not allow the rack to be installed properly on a bike whose seat stays have a circumference of more than 9/16 of an inch. This pretty much rules out many higher end bikes. I contacted Blackburn thinking they must make some clamps in larger sizes but they do not. So, buyer beware. Unless you have small seat stays, or a place on the frame where the extenders can be bolted on, this rack will only frustrate you. Do not buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bike Rack, July 17, 2014
Mark Pagliai (BUCKEYE, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black (Sports)
Complicated installation. Im afraid to start. Good Quality.

Blackburn EX-1 Disc Universal Bicycle Rack, Black