Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Blackburn System X3 Bicycle Light
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 9, 2006
This was my first "real" bike headlight. I typically had the over the counter battery operated headlights, but wanted, well, needed to invest in something better. This headlight is rediculously bright. I still use it in conjunction with my CatEye Optiplex Cube, which I use as my forward flasher and the Blackburn for my steady headlight. On the few longer night rides I've taken, the light seems to keep a charge on the high setting for about 45mins to an hour. Lower setting, which is still pretty bright, lasts a lot longer, prolly around the 2-3hr mark, although I haven't run it for more than an hour at a time. Easy to mount, easy to charge, quick chargetime. I only wish there was a better way to store the excess cord...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 17, 2006
I recently purchased a bike with intentions of riding home from work in the evenings. Since winter is approaching, I wanted a front light to ensure I can see and will be seen during and after sunset. I ride both in traffic and barely lit neighborhood streets so safety is paramount. I didn't want to play around with low cost poser lights and chose to spend the money for the Blackburn System X3.

Thinking that I could possibly expand to two lights, I chose to purchase the X3. Even though the battery pack is the same size for both the X3 and the X6 bicycle lights, there is only one outlet with the X3 system. Blackburn missed an opportunity to sell additional components, so purchase accordingly. Even though I cannot add an additional light, the single light is bright enough to see and be seen in dark terrain.

The battery mounts to the frame with a Velcro strap, or can be placed in a pocket or water bottle cage. It is recommended that if you attach the lamp to the bike, the battery pack should also be attached to the bike. Same goes for attaching the lamp to your helmet and placing the battery in a pocket. For safety reasons, you do not want to be tethered to your bike.

The battery pack and charger work together to ensure adequate charge. The pack charges in about 3.5 hours and will need charged before its first use. Charging takes place in three stages. The fast charge stage quickly charges up to 95% in about 2.4 hours. The trickle charge for safety concerns slowly finishes the last 5% in about an hour. Once at a 100%, the charger goes into sleep mode waking up every 7 days and checking battery status and recharging as needed ensuring the battery is always ready, and by protects against deep discharge prolonging the battery life. The battery pack also has a lighted indicator to identify the batteries charge during riding and charging.

The small, durable, and bright Luxeon light offers 30% 70% 100% and flashing lighting options. The X3 is more durable than traditional filament style HID and Halogen bulbs, and highly resistant to impact and vibration damage. The handlebar mount screws on tightly without tools, or the helmet mount is secured in place by a Velcro strap. Either option permits for quick release of the light head.

With the exception of not being able to add a second light, I am happy with this purchase. I am able to find my way home with little fear of riding in the dark. Combined with the Blackburn Mars 3.0 flashing rear bicycle light, there is no doubt I will be seen by others. This is definitely a light I can count on.

PROS:
Ensures I can see and be seen
Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty
Helmet or handlebar mount
Over 4 hours run time at full intensity

CONS:
Not expandable
on November 3, 2006
This light is very decieving. By looking at it you think "aahh it can't be that bright", but you would be wrong. This light is extremely bright. With the numerous settings you have a light for every scenario. This light is that bright I was asked by a police officer if I could put it on a lower setting, I had it on the medium setting. If you ride mainly in cities you can see street signs easily at about 50 to 75 yards if not a little further. The only downfall is having a place to mount the battery. It is very ackward in size and shape, but if you try you will find a place to put it. Overall this light is the best for your buck
on November 8, 2007
I'm tired while writing this so bear with me. I've owned a few lights now so I have some experience. The first one was built nice. Looked and felt like good quality stuff. But they mis-matched the plug and jack size. The light would at times go out until you wiggled the cable. Anyone could go to radio shack and figure that out. The other was a good unit. No complaints. After about two years the battery (i ride rain or shine) inside its case rusted and also the wiring next to the battery. Of course thats about how long rechargables last. The X3. Niicce ... I mean everything! Looks, feel, and operation. Cables, plugs, and the light switch are solid stuff. (you'll find out the switch makes a good flashlight-buy a cheap one and it will quit when you need it) I will buy this brand again . . . if i need to. Oh, there's stuff out there that costs two to three times(really)the price of this. Choose wisely.
on January 17, 2011
The battery completely drained on mine after sitting without being charged for a few months. It will now not take a charge and the warranty on the battery was only for a year. I will not be buying a Blackburn again.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2006
Good lighting system and is at least three times as powerful as my cateye el-500. Only downside is the battery is a litte bulky.