5.0 out of 5 stars Solid State Metal!, October 23, 2010
R. Fischer (Twin Cities, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blacken The Sun (MP3 Music)
Heres another breath of fresh air in a metal scene that has made a welcomed comeback and is booming! As They Sleep recently signed to Solid State Records and has recorded one "sick" debut, making an awesome addition to the family of a ton of other great new metal bands on the same label. Vocal-wise this band's singer has the pipes and the brutality of Death Metal bands like Crimson Thorn, but without the muddy, bassy guitar sound you might associate death metal with. Instead this album is a candy store of more classic-sounding metal riffs. The kind of sharp-edged, grinding guitar work we metal fans fell in love with in the days of early Metallica, Pantera and Anthrax. This is more of a speed metal album than the slower, driving style of some of Living Sacrifice's work and this band perfects it with the jackhammer double bass drumming and the always essential palm-muting chug of the guitar. All the ingredients to make a great metal album. The occasional clean vocals add a nice dynamic to the straightforward screams and really works well for this record. If emo-metal is a turn off for you, and you like true, hardcore metal that rocks you will love As They Sleep. I can't say anything bad about this record. I am stoked for the new album due out at the end of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check these guys out!, August 15, 2010
This review is from: Blacken The Sun (MP3 Music)
I purchased this CD after a friend recommended that I do so. I'm glad I did! I usually find most modern American metal to be boring, but Blacken The Sun by As They Sleep isn't! The band hails from the Detroit area of Michigan, which is about as American as you can get. Song writing and styling are superb. Production is immaculate and the musicianship is top notch. I really like how they managed to write "brutal metal" songs and still managed to keep them melodic. As They Sleep is a new addition to the metal scene, and a welcome one! Great job, guys! I'm looking forward to the next album!

Blacken The Sun