Blackout
Format: HardcoverChange

on January 7, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Here are a few things worth knowing about Blackout (and the second half, All Clear) before reading:

1. Blackout and All Clear are one book, split in two. Buy both, read Blackout first, and then immediately start in on All Clear.

2. It helps to be familiar with Connie Willis's style and especially her time travel theory before jumping into this 1000 page book. Start with The Doomsday Book and then read To Say Nothing of the Dog.

3. Don't think too hard about the time travel theory. Like every time travel theory, it falls apart under scrutiny. But her theory is quite entertaining and plausible on the surface.

4. In spite of the first chapter of Blackout and the cover flap, this is not a book about Colin Templar. He's in maybe 10% of the book, tops. You'll like the other characters, but not if you're mad that Colin disappears for 800 pages after chapter two.

5. If you're familiar with Connie Willis, you know you just have to roll with the craziness (for a long time with this book, alas) until it gels. This doesn't happen, honestly, until about 250 pages into Blackout. You start with one main character, then jump to another time/place with another main character, then another, and then back to the first, and then to a seemingly-random side story, and then back to the second character, and so on. It's frustrating for a while but it works out and you'll figure out what's going on.

6. The details of this book are the point. You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about the Blitz. Is it fill? Other than a few (interminable) scenes involving theater rehearsals, it's all pretty interesting.

7. The pacing is a little iffy, especially in the last few chapters, but by then you'll be tearing through it to get the payoff and you probably won't care.

8. The payoff is pretty good. I was up way too late finishing the last 100 pages of this book.

I enjoyed it, just like I've enjoyed Connie Willis's other books (except Passage, ugh). If you're a Connie Willis fan, this is compulsory reading.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2010
Format: Hardcover
I should preface this by saying that I am a lifelong fan of time-travel stories. I *loved* THE DOOMSDAY BOOK, and so I was really predisposed to like this one, too.

However....BLACKOUT left me feeling underwhelmed. It is, as others have said, only the first half of the story, and I'm not sure I'm going to bother with the second part when it comes out later this year.

The opening pages set the tone for the whole book. Characters rushing around from one place to another, pages and pages of very tedious explanations of how person A just missed encountering person B, and maybe B's gone off to X, so person A goes chasing after them, only to discover they're actually at Y instead, but "Better hurry because the [wherever they're going] is about to close!" ....which sends A racing off again, in a fruitless and futile search for whoever it is he's trying to find. This sort of situation occurs over and over and over again throughout this book. It got very tiresome after a while.

The sections set in the year 2060 suffer from the same curiously low-tech communications system that was evident in DOOMSDAY BOOK. No cell phones, no answering machines, no Internet, no email. And this is supposed to be 50 years in *our* future? I didn't find it believable.

I liked many of the parts set in WWII-era England. The descriptions of what life was like during the Blitz, what the shelters were like, how people were warned that even lighting a match for a cigarette at night could be enough to draw an enemy bomber....I found all of that very interesting. Ditto the children being evacuated (I didn't know they had housed evacuee children in manor houses, for example). And the Dunkirk storyline was quite interesting, too.

I thought the time-travelers seemed to be far too dependent on their historical research, instead of using common sense. At one point, a character realizes that she needs to learn to drive. So instead of potentially embarrassing herself by not knowing how to open a 1940's car door (!), she goes back to the time portal (the "drop") and returns to the future to get instruction on how to drive a car. What's wrong with simply watching carefully and copying what other people from that time period are doing??

Several of these time-travelers seemed to lack common sense, being much more concerned with trivialities than with observing the people around them (which was, I thought, the point of the time-traveling in the first place). They seem unable to think quickly or cope with the unexpected...hardly desirable qualities in potential time-travelers! (Kivrin, the time-traveler from THE DOOMSDAY BOOK, seems by contrast both far more intelligent and far better prepared to cope with changing circumstances than any of the time-travelers in this book.)

And in the last part of the book, the incessant refrain, "But this was TIME TRAVEL!" became really annoying after a while. The idea was that their rescuers had (literally) "all the time in the world" to find a way to get to the time-travelers stuck in 1940, so why hadn't they come? I couldn't help asking a different question: If the time-travelers had all the time in the world to plan and prepare for their various journeys into the past, why were they in such an ungodly hurry in the beginning of the book, rushed into assignments without sufficient preparation, etc? It didn't make any sense to me, except as a way to set up the plot.

All in all, I have to say I was disappointed with this book. I really wanted to like it, but in the end, the negatives outweighed the positives. The book ended with a cliffhanger, but not one that's powerful or interesting enough to make me eager to read part 2 of the story.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon February 27, 2010
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This book reminds me of that wonderful joke from Leo Rosten's "The Joys of Yiddish" with which Rosten explained the meaning of "chaloshes" ("something disgusting") -- "The food was a chaloshes - and such small portions!"

I don't know how this book would appear to someone who has never read Connie Willis before. But to someone who has read all of Willis' solo writing, both novels and short stories, and some of her partnered books, it just appears tired. Willis covered the Blitz so movingly in her short stories "Fire Watch" and "Jack," and is capable of creating books that can make you cry ("Doomsday Book") or laugh ("To Say of the Dog" and "Bellwether"), but here manages to be neither moving nor amusing. There is such a host of characters at the beginning, that it's hard to keep them straight. Eventually, we figure out that we are getting the viewpoints of three main characters, historians Polly, Elaine and Mike, all time traveling to WWII England for first person experiences: Polly as a shop clerk in London during the Blitz, Elaine as a maid in the N. of England to observe child evacuees from London, and Mike to Dover to observe ships returning from the evacuation of British troops from Dunkirk. But the characters are poorly drawn, and we never get a feel for them. They are just people who know what's going to happen next, and worry incessantly about whether what they've done has changed history. It's hard to illustrate how tiresome this gets without writing spoilers -- suffice it to say that manic thoughts about "but if they'd done X, then that means that they would have missed Y, and then Z couldn't have happened..." etc. etc. from all three characters gets first boring, then downright annoying.

Then there's also Willis' blind spot about telecommunications technology, which has plagued her writing from the beginning, but without which characters would have no excuse for running frantically from one place to another just missing each other and unable to get messages to and from one another. The introductory action is supposed to take place in the year 2060, but not only do people have to run around looking for each other, at one point a character has to put down the receiver to see if another character can come to the phone. A RECEIVER?!?!? In 2060? At least in WWII England, the inability to connect makes some sense, but there's still this sense of everything being oddly frenetic and the characters acting illogically all the time. Not what you'd expect from historians, especially ones approved to go to such a dangerous place and time.

This book is also a major disappointment in how little we care for the "contemps". In "Doomsday Book," when bad things happened to the non-time travelling characters, it was heart-wrenching. Here, it's like "oh... the little girls you thought died in the bombing last night are okay? That's nice." The book is just too emotionally shallow for anything that happens to people to resonate.

And finally, there's the fact that other reviewers have noted, that this and the book's "continuation," "All Clear," which will be published in the fall, were written as one book, but the publisher decided to divide them into two books. So the book just ends, awkwardly, and with no sense of any kind of resolution. There's no cliff-hanger, no closing of one chapter and tantalizing beginning of another... it just ends.

I normally love Connie Willis, and this subject matter is clearly near and dear to her heart, so I was expecting so much more. It's entertaining, and a little bit informative, but it could have and should have been hugely moving and the publisher should have made Willis take out the filler and keep it as one book. As it is, I doubt too many people will come back for part 2.
3636 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I'm a sucker for time travel stories. So much so that I must admit I will cut a time travel book some slack if it makes me feel transported. I stayed with this long book all the way, despite feeling sorely tempted to quit on it after about page 150. By that point I knew what I was in for, which was another 250 pages of repetitive whining from the three main characters, way too much access to their every thought, interesting or not, and the author's annoying and boring way of resolving things with a simple "She was" or "It wasn't". She hoped her shelter hadn't been bombed. It hadn't. He ran to the corner to see if the cathedral was still standing. It was. (These are just descriptions of what it's like, not word for word examples, though "It/She/He/They were/weren't/wasn't/didn't" appears endlessly. This one's mine: DJ feared he was wasting his time reading a book that would just continue in anxious little circles without anything happening.

He was.

On top of this, the three main characters are irritating at best. The constant internal dialoque is almost always filled with "what if they can't find me, what if they aren't looking for me, what if I changed history, what if there's no one left to come looking for me, what if I have to go to the bathroom and that's when they'll show up to rescue me and they'll leave?" And it goes on forever. Add to this the fact that the book introduces characters and situations early and then never mentions them again ends abruptly with nothing at all being resolved, and you find out there's yet another 500 page book you have to buy to continue the story even though there was no indication on the cover that that would be the case, you start to feel you may have been duped.

You were.

I bought the second book, All Clear, after reading 150 pages of the first, when I was still enthusiastic about the whole thing. I scanned it a bit today and saw that nothing much changed, and it was still mostly internal whining. I wondered momentarily if the loose ends were compelling enough that I might actually read the second book.

They weren't. I won't.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Hardcover
I was dismayed to see so many 3-star reviews for this Connie Willis time travel novel, set in the same "universe" as To Say Nothing of the Dog and the Doomsday Book. Willis is among my most favorite SF/F writers, and I have pressed more copies of Bellwether into friends' hands than I want to count. How could anything of hers actually be ho-hum?!

The book's premise works just fine, because it's based on the author's well-envisioned "physics" of time travel in which people from the future simply cannot affect past events. And since it can't be used for treasure-hunting, time travel has been relegated to a historian's tool for on-site observation -- in particular, the historians and graduate students at Oxford University circa 2060. In this novel, several young historians are sent on assignment in the UK during World War II, to observe how ordinary people coped during extraordinary times. And things go awry... while our protagonists cope with bratty children, stuck-up landladies, and incendiary bombs.

After reading Blackout, I understand what it is my fellow reviewers objected to. Willis has always had a unique ability to bring both poignancy and laughter to a scene, and to capture the sense of "zany" that makes an old Hepburn/Tracy movie delightful without ever being dumb. To some degree it's lacking here. I miss the absurdity of the Bellwether library story thread, for instance (in which Robert Browning's poetry is filed under "Cooking"). One might argue that it's difficult to imagine making the World War II London Blitz *funny*, but Willis made me laugh aloud when I read Domesday, which takes place during the black plague and, as she admitted during a Westercon reading some years ago, does have a rather high body count. Blackout absolutely has its amusing moments but I didn't shake my husband awake to read him a passage that was so hysterical I didn't mind it if he was grumpy.

But *never mind that*, really, because this is still a damned good novel that I read straight through, and as soon as I finish posting this review I'll order the second book in the series. (Be warned that it was originally a very long book which the publisher decided to split in two, and you are left gasping for "and THEN what happened?") Because "just okay" Connie Willis is still so much better than the best work of so many other authors I've read. It's like "adequate" Robert Heinlein or "acceptable" Lois McMaster Bujold, which means, "Please sir, may I have some more?" If you're new to her time travel physics, however, you might want to start with Domesday or the (funnier) To Say Nothing of the Dog, because it'll give you more appreciation of some of the recurring characters.

Even at "only" four stars, Connie Willis makes wartime London come to life in all its gritty glory. She shows people at their best, doing what they must, whether that's sleeping in the London Underground as an air raid shelter or making one's last pair of stockings last as long as possible. Blackout crept into my dreams for several days after I finished reading it, and I think it may do the same for you.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
We are losing the people who fought and lived through WWII both on the front and the homefront and with this loss, we are losing the vital importance of that war to the world we live in now; it could all be very, very different. As Mary Doria Russell put it, WWII is that war "which began years before it began and has never quite ended and which provides the pivot point for two centuries."

In Blackout, Connie Willis returns to the time travel universe in Oxford made popular by Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog, but this time she takes us to WWII England with three historians, one observing the evacuation of Dunkirk from Dover, one observing the thousands of children evacuated to rural England and one working as a shop girl during the Blitz. Willis's research is remarkable and never overbearing; we learn facts about the Blitz and Dunkirk without ever feeling that this has turned from a novel to a dry recitation. And what facts they are! It was vital that the Allied powers win WWII and everything that we and our children know is because this in fact happened, but there were many points at which it might not have happened the way history has it.

Willis's time-traveling historians have a lot to contend with, not only the hardships of living as 'contemps' in WWII England, but the fear, becoming more and more pressing as the novel progresses, that their mechanism of time-travel has gone disastrously awry, stranding them in WWII England forever, but even more importantly, allowing them to change the course of history, perhaps to the detriment of the Allies and every person on earth. Before the events of the novel, it was a law of time travel that a traveling historian couldn't change the events of the past, but one of the historians rescues people at Dunkirk, a time-point previously inaccessible for that very reason. The book ends with the three protagonists stranded and a fourth, as yet un-named arriving just as the book ends. Careful readers of this and other Willis books in the same universe will have their guesses as to who this traveler is. The cliff-hanger is not as annoying as other reviewers would have it.

In showing us WWII, Willis has given us a more somber version of her time-travel universe; in this book, even more than in The Doomsday Book, what the time-travelers do matters. But Willis's story is also of the everyday people who affected these events and whose sacrifices allow all of us to live as we do. Willis doesn't dwell on this, and instead she chooses to dwell on the heroic in daily life, but between every line is the knowledge of how many people's blood washed the earth to allow a victory in WWII. It is an affecting reading experience and though I miss her trademark screwball comedy of manners, it wouldn't be appropriate here.

In short, Willis is reminding us of the WWII that we can never forget, but she is also reminding us of the immense potential for good and sacrifice and nobility that lives in each of us, no matter how ordinary.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audible Audio EditionVerified Purchase
I never thought the day would come when I'd hate a Connie Willis book, but I was sorely mistaken. This book is dreadful. Hundreds of pages of inconsequential and annoying squabbling. One character in a never-ending and futile battle with two rotten kids, and the time traveling characters spend 99% of their time wrangling with the Oxford history department staff over the scheduling of their various time travel assignments or trying to figure out where and when they are during their time travel drops.

Very, very little of the book is spent describing the events of World War II. Willis does a good job on the rare occasions she actually is writing about that time and place, but it's just not worth the effort. In fact, I was listening to the book on Audible audiobook, which breaks it into three parts, and inadvertently went from Part One to Part Three. I fixed the error, but to be honest, it didn't make much difference either way.

There are a lot of other problems with the book, too. The time travelers are all Oxford University students in the history department, specializing in World War II. Yet it's stunning how little they know about the war. They don't know when the attack on Pearl Harbor took place, or the German rocket attacks on England, or Dunkirk, or what an Anderson shelter is, and many other things and events that even a casual student of the war would know. Yet we also read about one of these characters knowing what year various movies (like Follow the Fleet) were released. It's nonsensical.

Conflict is supposedly what makes novels work, but the conflict in so much of this book is tedious, annoying, inconsequential and nonsensical. There is the squabbling I've already mentioned. Mr. Dunworthy, the head of the time travel program, is presented as being extremely careful and protective of his students (as is consistent with his character in The Doomsday Book), but in this book he scrambles the students' assignments at the last minute, which forces them to take trips to dangerous times and places in history without sufficient preparation. Conflict only makes a book work if it meaningfully advances the plot and doesn't just irritate the reader and waste time.

Willis seems to have a near-obsession with contagious disease. Naturally, it was a major plot point in The Doomsday Book, but it's also a big deal in this book, though in a not-particularly-interesting way. Willis also continues her strange ignorance of technology that we saw in The Doomsday Book. In 2060 Oxford, technology continues to be at about a 1960 state.

And, as everyone knows by now, the book ends abruptly and you have to read All Clear to finish the story. I'd say a heavy red pencil could solve the problem and ensure that the story could all be told in one book, but I'm afraid it might not even make one book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 5, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I'm a big fan of Connie Willis but this book is so poorly conceived that it's maddening at times.

The alternate title should be "The Incompetent Time Travelers". The very first thing a time traveler needs is a suicidal commitment to not changing the past, because changing the past effectively destroys the version of the planet that the traveler came from. Destroying the planet is a big deal. by "suicidal commitment" I mean they must be ready to die rather than change history. In Blackout, the time travelers are historians, but would you rather have a mediocre historian with superb history-preservation skills, or a good historian who is fatally incompetent? Willis' historians are on the fatally incompetent side. In just one example, historian "Mike" -- through a ridiculous chain of events worthy of a sitcom -- ends up on a boat bound for a historical "divergence point". He has a few choices when he discovers this. He can continue on, and probably change history. He can jump off the boat and try to swim back to England, which will probably result in his death, but it's the safest choice. Finally, he can pretend to be sick or cowardly and lie in a bunk belowdecks during the entire event to make sure he doesn't affect anything. This last choice actually occurs to him, but he chooses to actively participate, which is simply insane and incompetent. The other historians make numerous potentially history-changing choices based on their compassion for contemporary characters. I understand it's difficult to suspend one's compassion for fellow human beings, but these people from the time travelers' perspective are long dead, and saving them may be disastrous.

These time travelers have absolutely no emergency procedures whatsoever. Historians go through to the different locations in the same time period without arranging any way to contact each other in case something goes wrong. Even our "heroes" run away from each other and get separated after they finally meet up, and it takes multiple occurrences of this before it finally dawns on them to set someplace to meet. When they're initially looking for each other, it occurs to none of them to place an ad in the newspaper, even though they all read it looking for ads placed by the others. Had none of them ever read the Sherlock Holmes stories, where Holmes routinely used newspaper ads for communication? They run out of money, have no employment, no housing and no food, and nobody thought to simply sew some 5-pound notes into their clothing when they left, or set up a central drop point in each period containing supplies. Finally, and most ridiculous of all, there is no standard way of contacting the future, no procedure to send messages forward. The newspaper could be used for this as well.

I wonder what happened to Connie Willis' characterizations between Doomsday Book and Blackout. In Doomsday Book, a historian ends up stranded during the Black Plague, and just deals with it in a competent manner. In Blackout, the historians get stranded and basically have nervous breakdowns. They even start lying to each other about the situation because at least two of them are close to total mental collapse. It's utterly ironic that this takes place during the perennial Willis setting, London during the Blitz, because the book perfectly illustrates the ability of ordinary Londoners to bear up under the pressure. Is Connie trying to make some kind of lame insinuation that people today (or actually of 2060) are of a lesser caliber? Because the characters from the future, even with full knowledge of the bombing locations and outcome of the war, go completely to pieces while the contemporary Londoners soldier on unfazed.

Structurally, Blackout has some major storytelling flaws. While the world backdrop is Connie's usual rich and detailed tapestry, there are two major issues that her editor really should have helped her with. The first is, that a skilled author creating incredibly annoying children (and several other annoying characters) makes them so real that they annoy the reader to the same degree as a real-world colicky baby in the adjacent airline seat. Why did I have to put up with half a book's worth of Alf and Binnie, children who are so destructive and obnoxious that it's frankly unbelievable, especially in the 1940s, that someone didn't use corporal punishment. This is a time when children being impolite was enough to get them thrashed, and these two miscreants are committing theft, vandalism, arson, and a string of ridiculous disobedience that in real life would have had them locked up in a flash.

The other flaw is that each of the characters goes through the same tedious mental track about why their return time travel "drop" won't open, where their time retrieval-team has gotten to, etc. We are forced to listen to the same line of reasoning, from each of the three main characters, over and over ad nauseum. This could have so easily been avoided with a brief sentence like, "Mike went through the same mental line of reasoning as Merope had, with the same lack of conclusions." We really, really don't need to hear repetitive trains of thought from each character about the same subject.

Each chapter ends with a cliff-hanger as though Willis was writing this as a television screenplay. I kept expecting commercial breaks. And finally, there are a number of ridiculous false alarms which come off on the same level as a hissing cat jumping out of a cupboard in a horror movie.

I don't really blame Willis for most of this, her editor really should have suggested changes which would have greatly improved the book, and with a bit of the nonsense on the cutting-room floor, Blackout and All Clear would have made one really solid book instead of this absurd two-book release which should have been titled "part 1 and 2". These are not two books in the traditional sense where a mini story-arc concludes in each volume, they are literally two volumes of the same book. Blackout ends practically mid-paragraph, and thankfully I was given both books as a gift via Kindle or I would be flaming mad instead of just frustrated and disappointed. Connie can do much better than this, when properly edited.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2012
Format: Paperback
I'm not surprised to find such diverse opinions expressed about this book, with ratings varying from five stars to one. Connie Willis is a writer likely to be appreciated by some readers and disliked by others. I am in the middle someplace although I lean more to classifying her as good rather than bad. Frankly, her books are too long (except for 'To Say Nothing of the Dog,' my favorite) with too many little details and explanations and too much trivial conversation. 'Blackout' is no exception and it really does take a long time for things to actually happen. In particular, I found all of the "what if this had happened" discussions a distraction - especially since whatever "this" was never did occur. A reduction in verbiage would be an improvement, in my opinion.

That said, don't overlook the good side of Ms. Willis' writing. I disagree with those criticize her creation of characters. I think that's her strong point. Yes, often they lack common sense and do irrational things, but that's because they are human and not just stock characters. They all seem like real people to me, sometimes annoying, sometimes noble, and sometimes just ordinary. Some readers prefer larger-than-life characters and that's reasonable, but I actually like the ones in this book the way they are. My objection to her characters isn't their quality but the number. (This falls under my "her books are too long" comment.)

I understand why fans of hard sci-fi don't like this book. The description of the time-travel apparatus and all of its problems can be a little, well I don't want to use the word 'silly' but something similar only more polite. Science majors who love a lot of technical details have plenty of other books to turn to, however. I prefer to just suspend my disbelief about the science (or lack thereof) and get on with the story.

As a history major (who gets irritated by errors), I found her research and presentation to be excellent. The scenes about Dunkirk and the Blitz give readers a great 'feel' about what it must have been like for people who lived through those times.

The one glaring historical error was made by the publisher and not the author, so Ms. Willis can't be blamed. The dust cover has a picture of four-engine bombers resembling American B-17s or B-29s. No German bombers in the Blitz had four engines and none even vaguely resembled the picture (and I'm sure that no American planes bombed London). I may sound like a trivial nit-picker (or maybe I really am one), but if a publishing company can't do the tiny bit of research necessary to get the picture right, it unfairly reflects badly on the writer.

The publisher also did everyone a disservice by obscuring the fact that Blackout is the first half of one continuous story rather than a complete book in itself. From other comments, that obviously angered some readers - and understandably so. Not releasing the second half for several months was also a mistake and probably cost both the publisher and author some money since more readers would have purchased 'All Clear' had it been available immediately (or so I think). Of course, if the whole story had been pared down to one volume in the first place, the problem wouldn't have existed.

All things considered, I believe the book's good qualities outweigh its drawbacks and recommend it to many people, just not to everyone.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon February 25, 2011
Format: Audio CDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let me start off by saying that I should not get audiobooks. In general, for me, they take too long to listen to when reading would be much faster, I need focused concentration with no distractions (hard to find in my life!), and, in many cases, the "readers" often have sonorous, uninteresting voices that cause me to drift off into my own thoughts and loose my place in the story. All that being said, BLACKOUT is definitely the exception to the rule! While it took me over 3 months to listen to the entire book (verses about 3 days of reading), I really enjoyed BLACKOUT. Katherine Kellgren is an excellent reader, with distinctive voices and interesting characterizations; I was able to remember the story and the people from listen to listen. Author Connie Willis is an excellent story teller, with interesting plots and great details that really set the mood and tone of the story.

BLACKOUT takes several time travelers (most notably Polly, Elaine, and Mike) from Oxford in 2060 back to WWII Britain. The Oxford time travelers are historians, there to bring back data for the historical archives, adding to knowledge in 2060. The science and mechanics of time travel theory tells us that it is impossible for these observers to change history. But...something has clearly gone wrong. At the end of their assignments, neither Polly, Elaine, or Mike can get back to 2060. Their "return drops" fail to open; they are all stuck in 1940. Now they must find each other, survive the London Blitz, and figure out a way home...if home still exists.

BLACKOUT is a wonderfully atmospheric novel. While I am more a fan of the time travel aspect than the historic aspect, I found myself transported to 1940's Britain. The horror and the emotions of what the British endured during WWII were very real - the sights, the sounds, the smells, the fear. Connie Willis provides vivid details full of depth and realism, creating a strong sense of WWII without bogging down the story, and reader Katherine Kellgren really transports the listener back to that time period. The plot moves along at a nice pace, and the reader uses memorable voices for each character. At first, while listening to this audiobook, it is a bit confusing (more than reading, I think) to figure out all the unusual names, who is who, and where we are in time and space, but everthing eventually all falls into place.

BLACKOUT is a lot of fun, really interesting, and even educational. I really enjoyed this book, and I learned a lot about the history of Dunkirk and the Blitz (and history has never been my strong suit!). My one frustration is that after three plus months of listening, BLACKOUT ends in a cliff hanger! AAAAHHHHHH, the agony. I immediately went online and purchased the sequel for my Kindle. Now it won't take me another 3 months to reach the conclusion of this story. Hopefully, it will only take about three days! Whew!
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...