5.0 out of 5 stars Meets and Exceeds my Expectations-I LOVE this oven!
Published 8 months ago by CityGal

1.0 out of 5 stars Great to start! BUT WAIT!!!!!!
Published 10 months ago by Bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets and Exceeds my Expectations-I LOVE this oven!, May 16, 2014
CityGal "khcalgal" (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
I bought this oven as part of a package on Groupon, but not until I'd read all the reviews here and on several forums on the web. After all, one doesn't buy a $400 outdoor oven on a whim. At least I don't. And yes, I had some concerns after reading that some buyers had received either defective ovens or parts damaged in shipment. I was encouraged to know that Blackstone responded immediately to everyone who had trouble. When I was unpacking I had my heart in my throat expecting a broken or bent piece. Everything was perfect. I was incredibly lucky. But you'll be in heaven once you get it up and running. Mine is just 10 days old.

A few suggestions based on my very recent experience:

You will need a AA battery for the igniter (insert bottom end first - which the directions don't tell you), and you will need two D batteries for the motor. My suggestion is to take advantage of the opportunity and insert the D batteries in the motor before you connect it to the oven. Of course, you'll have to eventually replace the batteries while the motor is on the oven, but at least you'll have a chance to see what's what without getting way down and looking up into the battery compartment later on!

If you've not bought a thrust bearing to help with the rotation of the tray, please consider it. I read about it here in the reviews of the oven here on Amazon. It apparently makes a huge difference and it costs under $12. Look at 51205 Thrust Bearing 25x47x15 Thrust Bearings. 51205 Thrust Bearing 25x47x15 Thrust Bearings You place it on the horizontal cross member that the stem of the rotating tray goes through (obviously around the hole for the stem) and just thread the stem through the thrust bearing and the cross member, and it rotates so smoothly on those bearings!

After buying one thermometer that only went up to 715'F, I exchanged it for this model-the least expensive model that measures over 1,000'F (to give some latitude) this is the one I got from Amazon and am using:

TopG® TG8550 -58 to 1022°F Instant-read IR Infrared Thermometer Non-contact Temperature Gun with Laser Sight Targeting Pointing range -50 to 550°C Celsius or Fahrenheit; Built in infrared (IR) sensor and LCD screen with backlight; Battery included

There are several models on the same page. I got the royal blue one. It was the one that met my criteria.

The pizza took three minutes and ten seconds to bake. The laser temperature of the stone was about 700' and the air temp shown on the built in oven thermometer was about 400'. The pizza had only been in the oven for under 10 seconds when I got the filming going.

Here is a link to the 3 min You Tube video showing my pizza bianca baking. It had only been in the oven for fewer than 10 seconds when I got the camera rolling:

I've made a couple of different pizza doughs from Peter Reinhart's book American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza pizza book last night for the next baking trial. I can't wait to try more! This is an excellent book, highly recommended.

BTW, it was suggested to me to have both a wooden peel and a metal one. Assemble unbaked pizzas on the wooden one, remove them from the oven with the metal one. There are a lot of wooden peels out there. I did splurge on the J.K. Adams handmade alder wood one, made in the US. It was about $37, but it is beautiful and has a lifetime warranty. I've read posts in various places of wooden or bamboo peels cracking or splitting. This may be a case of you get what you pay for. I find using semolina flour on the peel to be a wonderful way to keep them from sticking and to have them slide nicely onto the baking stone as it is more granular than regular flour.

I buy just about everything I can from Amazon, mostly because they have excellent prices and better service and it saves me a whole lot of time. Sure, I do live in San Francisco and I can get just about anything I want here, but shopping isn't my favorite thing to do.

The peel is the J.K. Adams 23-3/4-Inch-by-14-Inch Alder Wood Pizza Peel. $37.

I do try to support US manufacturers when I can (just bought a US-made kitchen range too) and this is a family owned company in your neck of the woods, Dorset, VT. 2nd generation. There's a lot of information about the company here on Amazon's website.

I also used John Boos Mystery Butcher Block Oil on the peel. John Boos Mystery Butcher Block Oil, 16 ounces

One of the reasons I chose this oven over the Pizzeria Pronto or the Uuni wood pellet oven was to be able to cook other things in addition to pizzas. To that end I looked for a pan that could handle high heat and would fit in the oven, and that cost as little as possible.

So I chose the Lodge L9OG3 Pre-Seasoned Round Griddle, 10.5-inch, (Amazon item ASIN: Lodge L9OG3 Pre-Seasoned Round Griddle, 10.5-inch) $13.79. It is on its way and will be here today. I plan on cooking salmon, steaks, shrimp, chicken. I think this is relatively new territory here, and we all will learn.

I think you'll find that making your own dough is NOT difficult, especially if you have a sturdy stand mixer or food processor. I do bake a lot (but have less yeast dough experience) and highly recommend King Arthur flour. You may know they sell a gluten free flour ($7.95 for 24 oz, unfortunately) that gets fry positive reviews. I don't know what your frozen pizza dough is like, but I encourage you to give making your own dough a try. It is very satisfactory and highly rewarding.

Amazon carries Caputo Double 00 flour, and if you get a pack of 10 one kilo bags the shipping is free. The price is what I pay locally for mine, and you can get it just about anywhere. Antimo Caputo Chef's Flour, 2.2 Pound (Pack of 10) There are lots of ways to make dough, and I also use King Arthur's bread flour, available in many grocery stores as well as from their website. Prices here on Amazon are pretty high.

San Francisco backyards (if you have one at all!) are not generally known for being spacious, and mine is no exception. Devoting some of it to my small Weber grill and now to this oven is huge. I have no space to assemble my pizzas outside. I do what you seem to do outside and have everything laid out in my (also small) kitchen and move them to the oven on the wooden peel, and bring them back to the kitchen on the metal peel that came with the Groupon offer. That allows me to assemble the next pizza on the wooden peel while someone else keeps an eye on the one in the oven.

It is a learning process. Yum, yum, yum!

4.0 out of 5 stars Customer service is exemplary, June 7, 2013
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased my pizza oven at Cabelas in Wichita, Ks. Didn't take long to assemble but noted that the rotating table with the bottom stone was 'off center' or higher on one side than the other. Checked things out and determined that the large, heavy rod that engages the rotating motor was not straight to the heavy metal tray. Could have been a warpage when welded or not centered in a jig, but made one side 3/4" or so closer to the oven bottom as it rotated. I emailed Customer Service and received a prompt reply that they would like a couple photos, if possible, and email those to one Britton Moser. I did that and received a very prompt reply from Mr. Moser....and talked with him on the phone. He sent a new rotating table immediately via UPS without charge and did not request the defective part to be shipped back.

This type of customer service, without quibbling about the problem and how or why it happened, is not common these days. So...not only is this pizza oven a really good piece of equipment, the support from the company is exemplary in every way. The oven takes a bit of a learning curve to master, but it sure does a super job with pizza. We have learned to put the homemade pizza onto the oven with a floured wooden peel, and check the pizza for bottom crust cooking and removal with a metal peel. It does a wonderful job of cooking pizza...we are just now learning to do other types of food.

Great product, great company, super customer service. Many thanks to Blackstone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great to start! BUT WAIT!!!!!!, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
We received our unit and absolutely loved it. However the whole metal plate buckled once and they replaced it. However it's done the same thing again, plus the motor has now failed. We have only made pizza's on it on about 10 occasions. I have tried returning it through Amazon, but it was one month out of the time allowed! I have emailed Blackstone with no response. We have told numerous people about how fantastic it was! As it was,..... while it worked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, great customer service. Recommend adding Amazon 51205 Thrust Bearing 25x47x15, March 16, 2014
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
A novel, affordable, and portable product design for the family backyard pizzaiolo or pizzaiola, and kids will love seeing the pizzas cook in 3-4 minutes.

We purchased two of these patio/pizza ovens as portable alternatives to non-portable large masonry wood-fired pizza oven we have/use.

Recommend shopping online for prices lower than Amazon's price. Significant savings are possible. We were surprised that Amazon would not reduce their posted prices despite several of our reports via Amazon's "tell us about a lower price" function of several vendors with lower prices. We bought two of these ovens at a significantly lower price (over $100 savings (each) w/free shipping) from an alternate vendor in Arizona, but the ovens are the same/identical Blackstone product hence the review posted here.

Please note the oven is NOT limited to only pizzas - it can cook steaks, veggies, etc as with a regular oven if you like, but pizzas are its unique/strong point. For non - pizza dishes, we'd recommend use of a lasagna or other type flat metal pan to prevent getting grease/oil on the porous rotating circular pizza stone cooking surface.

Yes, as the purists say nothing cooks pizzas like a real wood-fired oven however large masonry ovens are not portable. The Blackstone works as a close substitute and for most folks the only alternative to building a masonry oven. We're thinking of experimenting with adding a wood chip box somewhere in the oven cavity areas to add some of that wood-fired smoke "seasoning" that makes true wood-fired pizzas such a delight.

We added the following thrust bearing from Amazon (currently $12.52 each) as recommended by several reviewers: 51205 Thrust Bearing 25x47x15 to better support the turntable/reduce load on the rotator motor which is basically a battery or AC adapter powered BBQ grill rotisserie motor that is mounted under the oven engaging the (rotating) table shaft. We also added outdoor covers for the ovens to protect them from the weather.

Assembly is very quick and easy. Only a screwdriver and an hex wrench set is needed. One of our ovens arrived with some parts shipping damage damage (via UPS) the typical cracked lower and upper pizza stones (as other reviewers have reported), some edge damage to a metal shelf, and we requested a new top cowling for one oven due to poor weld seam (gaps) workmanship.

Blackstone company customer service was lightening fast, quibble-free - in a word exemplary - so no worries there. They really appreciate it if you send digital photos of any damage/issues.

The lower shelves are nice, but there is no place to place to sit hang your propane tank other than on the ground. Also if you try removing the upper shelf below the oven, there is not enough height/space to put a standard 5 gallon tank on the larger lower shelf.

In summary, overall a novel and affordable product design for the family backyard pizzaiolo or pizzaiola, and kids will love seeing the pizzas cook in 3-4 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pizza Oven and Customer Service are Both Great, August 6, 2014
marquis (New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
I received this oven as a birthday present recently (after dropping several hints). My family assembled it for me and we only encountered 2 small problems that didn't impact our ability to make pizza.

The bottom tray that holds the propane tank had a small dent in it which prevented us from installing it properly. So for now, the tank sits on a patio block. And the igniter, despite 2 fresh batteries pointed in the correct direction, didn't work. But we used a small propane lighter and manually lit the burner.

I emailed customer service and received a reply the next day. After supplying a picture of the dent, I promptly received a reply that a new shelf and igniter were on their way with a tracking number.

The rest of the unit was in perfect shape. The turntable rotates evenly, the pizza stones were in perfect shape, and the rest of the oven fit together just as one would expect.

With the flame on high we had the pizza stone up to 700 degrees in about 12 minutes. We made 3 pizzas, each taking about 4 minutes. My family raved about the pizzas and I also agree they were excellent. Before they left my family was already asking how soon we could have another pizza party.

I'm very happy with this oven, and if you like to make home made pizza that tastes as good, or better, than what you get at pizza parlors, I would highly recommend this oven.

UPDATE: I received the new shelf and igniter this week. The shelf fits fine and the igniter, which was fairly easy to change, works perfectly. Customer service came through quickly, and I'm a happy camper.

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for! (which is poor quality and support), September 23, 2014
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
First received the oven severely damaged in shipping. Company replaced damage components. After receiving replacement parts and assembling the unit, I noticed the rotating tray was off balance and the motor seemed a bit strained turning it. Company said that was ok. Used it on average once a month to make 3 or 4 pizzas each use. It did a pretty good job cooking the pizzas. Used it exclusively for pizzas, never tried to cook anything else. After about 6 months the motor started making a louder noise. Then after about 10 months the motor would stop and start on its own. Finally the motor died. When I got around to calling the company I was just a couple weeks past the warranty period. The company said I would have to pay for a new motor. They went on to say the motor was on backorder so they would put me on a waiting list. They also maintain that the bent rotating tray was not the problem and never explained why the motor failed. Their correspondence with me was actually insulting. I think the backorder of replacement motors is telling. I don't think I'm the only one that has had this problem. Anyway, if you want a cheap oven that cooks a decent pizza and don't mind replacing parts periodically, its not bad. However, if you really want to get into making pizza outside, it might be worth to spend more on a better quality unit. Update: Replacement motors are still on back order as of 11/13/14. Now they are telling me to buy an alternative motor from another vendor and they are still not providing a remedy for what is causing the motors to burn out in the first place or even acknowledging the issue. When you read the positive reviews about this product keep in mind that these are primarily from people who have not yet experienced problems due to the poor quality or have had to deal with their customer service department to get resolution. Buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has almost replaced our indoor stove!, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
I ordered this 'pizza' oven a month ago and have used it almost everyday since then...you can actually cook MUCH more than just pizzas with this propane patio oven! We have mastered Salmon and Tilapia fish, which will cook in about 6-8 minutes. The beauty of this oven is in it's design...the pizza stone ROTATES, which prevents uneven cooking, burning and other problems, plus this oven has a stone mounted ABOVE the cooking area as well as below, this dome shape design creates an intense, convection oven type heat that cooks to perfection...this is a feature I haven't been able to find on almost all the other pizza ovens I researched.

Also, this product is BRAND NEW and not even available in the big box stores yet...it was hard to get initially but Blackstone seems to have MUCH more inventory now.

My Pizza / Patio oven came with a pizza paddle included, and took me about 30 minutes to assemble. The inside of the oven gets HOT (700+ degrees) but that heat can be precisely controlled with the gas knob so that your food gets cooked perfectly...is actually DOES cook a 'raw' (not frozen) pizza inside of 3 minutes...will post a video of some of the items we've cooked with this oven here shortly. We've done steaks, chicken, fish, veggies, pizza, casseroles and artisan breads among other things. We've only burned fish once, because we left the oven for about 7 minutes to check and respond to an email LOL! DON'T leave this oven unattended....your food cooks amazingly fast!

The flavor of meats is exceptional as each steak we've cooked inside this oven turns out delicious and perfectly succulent. No unhealthy carcinogens are generated from cooking meats with this oven unlike on a standard grill. My Weber sits ignored to the side of this 'patio oven' now...

PROS: Fastest way to cook meats, pizzas, veggies and breads I've ever seen (most items cook perfectly in under 4-5 minutes inside the 700+ degree chamber). Rotating pizza stone ensures all foods cook evenly and fast!

CONS: I received one of the first patio ovens Blackstone produced, I didn't know the rotating stone (battery powered) needed to be ON while the flame was on and ended up melting the steel pizza stone base a bit...creating a lopsided base...Blackstone quickly replaced this base however, and I believe future stoves will include a very obvious warning stating that the rotator must be enabled BEFORE firing up the oven...

A.D.D. Summary:

Oven makes anything taste great!
Fastest cooking times I've seen
Sexy Stainless Steel & Black Exterior
Solid Construction (over 120 pounds) Easy to move around on Casters
Dominoes & Pizza Hut need to use these...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but still a good value at the price., October 14, 2014
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
I hate to write a litany of problems with this grill but I feel it helps others.

- difficulty to assembly for a handy man such as myself. (3 of 5)

- problems with product.
- shelf assembly. 2 out of the 4 threaded/tapped holes for side shelf threaded knobs were not tapped all the way through. so
one shelf could not be tightened in place. (fixed it myself by getting a tap (M6) to complete cutting the threads.
- legs did not align well with top.. (2 out of 5 difficulty)
- not obvious where bearing and included ball/needle bearing should go on shaft (2 out of 5)
- my table is also crooked and not level (? out of 5)
- wire condiment holder rack needed a lot of bending to be installed (1 out of 5)
- sticker on face of grill difficult to remove (2 out of 5)
- top stone had a small chunk broken off it (1 out of 5)
I also think the motor is weak and won't last long. Time will tell.

- call to customer service went well...(0 out of 5)
photo is some Indian naan bread brushed with lots of olive oil, that came out perfect.

Btw, Unit listed as 114 lbs in weight.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, August 1, 2014
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
We bought it and we returned it. Like many our unit arrived damaged. The metal rotating tray and the drive shaft were shipped assembled. This resulted in a bent rotating tray. I started to work through getting a replacement part but there were a number of other issues that popped up that made us decide to just return it.

* First issue: There are many solidly built parts used in the pizza oven (legs, casters, handles, side shelves), but then there are just as many cheap parts that were ill fitting or not assembled properly. For example, the front piece of stainless steel was folded back to form a lip for the opening. When the piece of stainless went into the sheet metal brake it wasn't in straight or square so the lip was crooked and uneven. Initially I thought it was only a cosmetic issue, but as I looked closer at it and how the damaged metal tray an pizza stone were supposed to rotate in the oven it became clear this would catch on the rotating tray either dragging or stopping the rotation.

* Second issue: The vertical steel rod that attaches to the rotisserie motor had a poorly designed assembly. It has two steel collars that don't appear to have any purpose, but it would seem more appropriate for these to fit against the bearing assembly to ensure proper height of the rotating tray. Nothing in the manual suggests this is how it's supposed to be. If the collar has no purpose then get rid of it. If there is a purpose then please let us know how it is supposed to fit, because it wasn't adjusted properly when it was shipped.

* Third issue: The vertical shaft rotates clockwise. If the metal tray and pizza stone get caught on something and the shaft keeps rotating the right handed screw that holds the metal tray to the shaft comes undone. This is just a stupid engineering error. Blackstone should have known to use a LH thread so that the tray would not come disassembled in the same way that it is rotating.

Here's my bottom line: I wanted a $1,500 for $400 like everyone else who bought the oven. Unfortunately to achieve the $400 price tag the company appears to have cut a lot of corners in their design and manufacturing. There are flashes of brilliance in what they attempted, unfortunately their execution sucks. Buyer beware.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only has two moveable wheels (this would roll around so nicely if it have 4 - 360 wheels instead of ..., July 10, 2014
This review is from: Blackstone 1575 Outdoor Oven (Lawn & Patio)
CONS:
Only has two moveable wheels (this would roll around so nicely if it have 4 - 360 wheels instead of two and two fixed)
Wish they offered this in complete stainless steel.

The handles are so high that you tend to grab the bottom shelf to move it and the edges are sharp my neighbor cut his hand. But I believe that he would not have had it had 4 - 360 wheels. He grabbed the end that has the fixed wheels - I've done this myself and almost cut myself

But on the PROS side.

Really makes nice pizza.
We do not have to heat up the whole house.
We do not have to turn the oven on for an hours plus just to get it ready.

This guy heats up in 10 - 12 minutes and bam, Perfectly cooked pizza