5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the cons...
Published on October 9, 2010 by Therese

1.0 out of 5 stars Non-Existant Customer Service
I have been looking for a griddle / flat top such as this for some time. Thus I was very excited to find and order the Blackstone. I did read the reviews that mentioned packaging issues, but it looked as if that had been resolved. Not so. The shipping speed was pretty good, however the packaging was terrible - both boxes were badly damaged. I would be hard pressed to...
Published on July 29, 2010 by John Galt

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the cons..., October 9, 2010
Therese (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
I searched high and low for a BIG ENOUGH griddle that could be taken camping, because we were going to be a large camping group, cooking together. We also find ourselves needing a large enough griddle for big Sunday brunch type gatherings with neighbors. This was the ONLY griddle out there of its size. This is it - there is no other. Fortunately, it's a decent product.

Yes, there are cons, but not many. And also yes, our griddle arrived with a couple of dents. One on the cross bar at the bottom, and one of the side tray thingies was dented. It's true that the packaging was pretty much a joke. I'd read that though so expected to send it back if I needed to. I ordered mine from Lowe's but rather than deal with them to exchange the dented parts, I decided to try contacting the company. I found their website (pretty sparse website, FYI) online, called the 800 number and spoke with a very friendly, helpful woman who said no problem and immediately shipped me out replacement parts, free of charge. Why have a dent if you don't have to, you know? I think about resale value too. Anyway the parts arrived 2 days later. While I was at it, I ordered the grill and bag. I intend to also get the cover so it won't get all dusty in storage. The woman and her co-workers were also really helpful with answering questions and even sent me a manual beforehand in an email attachment.

We've used the griddle for camping and once for a front yard party with our neighbors (breakfast).

Worth mentioning:

- it's super heavy (the top) as others have noted. Just get help or get a dolly or move slowly and carefully.
- Buy it at Lowe's or some other brick & mortar shop so you can return it in person if you have to. They don't have it in stock so you have to order it via their website and then pick it up at their store (or have it delivered).
- We keep ours all ready to go in our garage year round except for when traveling e.g. camping. That makes things pretty easy as it just rolls out nicely.
- The biggest lesson we learned is the following: at first the griddle won't seem hot enough...and then suddenly it's so hot, that even the lowest setting seems too hot. The trick is to turn it up high and get it going for only a few minutes, after which you want to turn it down to the LOWEST setting and wait a good few minutes or longer to let the temp even out. Otherwise everything will burn to a crisp - even bacon which many like sort of burned - nope. Too much. Follow these instructions and yowza - you'll be able to fry up tons of whatever, QUICKLY! It's really an amazing time-saver when you have a lot of people to serve! Also, when you first season it, the hot oil will turn black and the whole thing gets kinda gross looking. Just keep scraping. After the first couple of uses the whole griddle won't look so multi-colored and stuck-on looking.
- Yes the grease container's too small if you're doing huge amounts of bacon or other super greasy meat. Just dump out every so often and put back in place/continue. No big deal. Or just put a bigger container on the ground as my husband did.
- Make the time to get a nice set of griddle tools from a restaurant supply store or else get BBQ tools from a high-end kitchen store that are griddle-friendly (e.g. come with huge scraper and nice big spatula, etc. Not only will flipping food and cleaning/scraping be a breeze but hey - it's nice to have a nice matching, good looking and useful set.
- We've had no issues with loose knobs.
- The griddle/grill is seriously impressive. Strangers walk by and almost always comment and ask where we got it. ;)
- Some reviews I've seen online say that the grill (not griddle) is nonstick. It's not. It's black steel. You can scorch, scrape and clean the heck out of it and it won't hurt it. It's sort of like cast iron. I was very relieved to learn this. The griddle is of course also not nonstick.
- The whole thing fit nicely in our minivan's trunk, FYI.

Hope that helped!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Griddle, September 18, 2010
No Deal (Palm Bay Florida) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:35 Mins

Much like others have said the griddle was beaten up by UPS and showed up damaged!!
It doesn't affect the griddle other than it was dropped on one of the handles and it dented in and chipped the paint. It comes in two separate boxes and funny thing is the UPS guy was carrying the solid steel top and it fell out of the box right on his foot right when he made it to my front door, I said why didn't you ask for help? Not too bright he was. Anyway the griddle cooks like a dream!! tons of room and a blast to cook on. The cast iron burners are beefy and should last forever!!The cooking surface is a good thickness and should also last a long time. The knobs are too loose and fall off easily but no big deal i will fix them easily.The side shelves are flimsy but i will beef them up. Fast free shipping from Amazon!!! Ordered on a Monday and received on Friday!! I am in Florida not North Carolina? Sounds like a lot of negatives but Its a great griddle at a fair price, you wont be disappointed if you get one.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME griddle!!!! $$$ maker!!!, June 1, 2010
J. CHAN (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
I bought this griddle not knowing what to expect from a $290.00 griddle(and you can't beat the free shipping option). Well, I used it this weekend to make breakfast burritos for about 500 people per day for 4 days with absolutely NO problems. Enough room for potatoes, eggs, tortillas, and bacon. I used it at the med setting and burner/heat was evenly distributed throughout the griddle. This thing paid itself off in the first 20 min! Well contructed griddle. As for shipping...I placed my order at noon on friday and received it at my door at 2pm on monday(and it was freeeeeeee!)

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, August 14, 2010
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
A friend of mine recently purchased this product from AMAZON.COM and recommended
this Blackstone grill,So I purchased a Blackstone Grill. Within I'd say, 8 days the grill was delivered to my door. Just in time to take it camping, what a hit it was at camp! Breakfast,lunch, and dinner was a big hit using the Blackstone. Everyone wanted to use my new Blackstone grill. Now, instead of a BBQ grill, we are convinced that this grill is the way to go. My friend will be ordering this Blackstone flattop grill for his home. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this grill to everyone that enjoys cooking. Breakfast through dinner, eggs to steaks, this grill can do it all! Best of all I really appreciate the free shipping!
ENJOY the best cooking experience NOW, using the Blackstone 36-inch grill.

ALOHA,

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
I didn't know what to expect when I got the Blackstone griddle, but my husband loves it! He is able to prepare a full fajita meal including cooking tortillas, meat, onions and peppers and still have room to do Mexican fried rice. It is a huge cooking surface and the heat is uniform so that there are no cold spots. This griddle is heavy duty and should last a long time. It took a couple of times to prepare the surface for cooking but once it was seasoned it works like no other. I would definately recommend this griddle for anyone serious about outdoor grilling!

Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle Powder Coat

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted for years!, July 16, 2010
Brian Jensen (PROVO, UTAH, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
I've always wanted to be able to cook for large groups and now I can.

This griddle is the envy of all my friends. Ive had it for a few months and have already used it to cook breakfast for 3 large groups. The best thing about it is it's portability. I can move it easily around my property with the large caster wheels or in a few minutes I can have it folded up and loaded in my truck for an off site activity. Take it to a group campout and use the grill box to make dinner for dozens of people then switch to the griddle for breakfast the next morning. I'm using it today to cook for a party of 40 and anyone who asks, I'll send them to Amazon.com

I highly recomend the cover and the grill box.
I know the package that Amazon offers doesn't include the bag for the grill box but I recomend that too. When you consider that other outlets charge $85.00 just to ship it, the deal from Amazon is the best there is.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1300 Philly Cheese Steaks in 22 Hours!!!!!!, October 1, 2010
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
My father owns a traditional butcher shop in St. Louis MO and or a few years now I have been wanting to do some sort of food vendor booth at our festivals and finally commit to your local Oktoberfest. Huge success thanks to this griddle. 1300 cheese steaks at $6.00 each made me a nice sized profit over the weekend. PROS: This griddle has a very consistent heating area, is conservative on LP (3.5 reg size tanks during 22 hours of cooking on HI), and is not difficult to clean. CONS: The grease pan is ridiculously small for the size of the griddle, sheet metal on the body (not griddle) is small gauge metal which is flimsy, and the legs don't fold up very easy. The pros outweigh the cons 10 fold due to performance and price. I love this griddle and am thinking of cutting the legs off and mounting it in my kitchen. Just kidding! Great product and no delivery issues

5.0 out of 5 stars first class grill, February 12, 2010
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
bought this grill for a chruch funtion, works great, cooks allot of food all at the same time, works very well in low setting, heats up very quickly and hold heat steadly, recommend for everybody, even the pro cooks, great craftsmanship, built very well.Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this griddle, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
I have been looking for a griddle and finaly found the one that does everything. Large, sturdy, and portable. No assembly, easy to use and transport. I have used this for church groups and feed over 75 people at once. The griddle works great for breakfast items and also does works well for hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. I do not know how I got along without this griddle. The griddle is 20" x 36" you can cook a lot on this surface. If you like to cook outdoors then you need this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars 36' Blackstone griddles are okay, March 2, 2011
This review is from: Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill (Sports)
I recently received three 36"griddles and have been upgrading/fine tuning them. For just a homeowner/backyard/weekend chef, they are okay as is. However, for my purposes I knew before they arrived that I would need to improve them some. They will be used frequently and occasionly handled by clumsy or heavy handed people. So I have added braces to the legs and improved the shelves considerably. The shelves are the one area I found to be of poor design. Also, I recomend that all purchasers clean the new griddle shipping grease off thoughly, wash the griddle with rubbing alcohol, heat it hot to cook off all residue, scrap it vigorsly, cook it off again, scrape again and then use a ocillating sander with 100-150 grit on the cook surface. Then oil it lighly and season it in good. I also did some fine tuning of the burners.

The cook top will get a lot hotter than you will first think and quickly. I have an electronic infra-red scanning type thermometer and temperatures came up past 450 F in a very short time on high. And on lowest setting temperature will still creep up too hot for pancakes if you let it set and heat. Turn the fires off if you don't have food ready to put back on the griddle after cooking a batch.

Blackstone 36-Inch Commercial Griddle/Grill