Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Blacky the Crow (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

75%
25%
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 16, 2010
Cunning and mischievous, Blacky the Crow, takes center stage in this highly entertaining children's tale set in Thornton Burgess' wonderfully crafted animal universe. Full of life lessons and tidbits of facts about nature, this story will not only make youngsters happy, but it will also please parents as well.

Blacky the Crow is a trouble loving misfit whose love of mischief is only possibly succeeded by his love of eggs. To get the later, Burgess starts the tale off with a troublesome plot by Blacky geared towards stealing a pair of eggs. Blacky doesn't succeed, and soon moves on to a bigger and better thing. The bigger and better thing that captures his interest happens to also prove that Blacky has a heart; as he goes all out day after day to prevent a hunter from shooting a flock of ducks. To do this, he has to enlist the help of Farmer Brown's Boy, who in this tale comes off as a highly respectable role model as Farmer Brown's Boy ends up standing up to the adult hunter with Blacky's help, and the result is that the hunter eventually goes away and the ducks are safe.

My daughter loves this book for bedtime readings. Its short 2-3 page chapters are ideal for this purpose. I hope you give the book a try.

Darien Summers, author of The Mischievous Hare, a children's book.
on April 9, 2016
Blacky the Crow is an adorable little book that has made a delightful edition to our little story book collection. My daughter is only eleven months old for now, but we are already reading to hear as much as we can. With this book, I only did a chapter a night and it was perfect. They are not too long or too short. They are just right. Blacky the Crow always seems to be landing himself into some sort of mischief and it is always entertaining to read about it and see how he manages to get out of it. Right now, I know she doesn't understand any of it, but as she gets older and grows up with these tales she will learn the individual lessons that are hidden within each book.
review image review image review image
on September 21, 2011
This is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it. Plus, unlike many of these Dover editions of Thornton Burgess' books, it has honest-to-god original Harrison Cady illustrations.

Harrison Cady did two sets of drawings for this title; 8 color ones, printed on plates, for Little, Brown, of which 4 were later used for Grosset & Dunlap, printed in B&W on plates. Then, Cady redrew those 4 as line drawings for Grosset & Dunlap to print on the text paper stock instead of on plates. Those 4 line drawings are crude by Harrison Cady's standards, compared to the line drawings he did for many other Burgess books.

This Dover edition has the 4 crude line drawings. Some other Dover editions have the illustrations from the B&W plates, and it would have been better if they had done that for this title too. But kudos to Dover for getting it basically right for this title.

If you like these illustrations, I'd recommend finding a used copy of the Little, Brown edition too -- mostly to get all 8 higher-quality drawings, but also to see them in color as Cady originally drew them.
on May 29, 2015
Great five minute stories that I remember reading as a kid and now I can start reading them to my daughter. Simple and easy to understand, many of the stories teach lessons about morals, instead of mindless blather. I am enjoying reading through the series again.
on November 1, 2009
My kids love it! They constantly ask for more. The book teaches them about nature in a delightful and often funny way. All books in this series are not at all moralistic but kids learn common sence wisdom, good behavior and morals any way. Very Much recommended. (My children are 5 and 7)
on December 31, 2013
I was looking for small books for Free to put on my Kindle and this was one. Short chapters of 112 pages and a story that is like one as an aesop fable. Easy reading but not for a very young child, but would be good if read to a child. Each chapter Blackytries things such as eating and in how he does it there is a lesson he and we could learn by what he does. I found it very entertaining. I also wondered where were these books when I was young. Burgess has a lot of children's books of this type and other. I do plan on downloading his other books of these animal lesson stories. Very entertaining and a fast read.
on June 1, 2016
Burgess's writing is smooth and intelligent; he writes for children but doesn't talk down to them, and the stories are based on real observations of animal behavior. Read these aloud to children and both of you will be entertained!
on March 12, 2014
We used this book as a month long bedtime story for our 7yr old who is homeschool Waldorf style. It was a perfect fit for our curriculum and her developmental stage. We cannot wait to read more stories by Thornton Burgess. We really enjoyed this witty personification of a common forest character as well as the morals and messages Blacky shares with us. Blacky was truly entertaining and the style of prose is wholesome and uplifting. A great book!
on August 5, 2010
My husband and his siblings were read Thorton W. Burgess' books when they were young. They in turn read some of the same books to their children. We are now passing along these wonderful books to our grandchildren. They may have been written beginning in the early 1920's, but they are just as enjoyable today. I would give them a rating of 100 stars or more. We have given a number of our friends' young children several of these books and the children are thrilled with them. Mr. Burgess wrote 170 books. Try out a few. The stories are just wonderful and so very well written and are timeless. He makes creatures so enjoyable because of the personality that he gives them. Every now and then, I have a crow convention at the feeder in my backyard. I let them eat, thinking of Blacky the Crow and then just fill up the feeder for all my other birds when the crows leave. I wish that I could thank Mr. Burgess for all the joy that he has given to children for decades as well as my husband and me. We still enjoy them.
on April 30, 2013
Blackie the crow was my favorite childrens book. This version of Thornton burgess classic tale is the closest one to my childhood favorite because of it's original illustrations. Brings back great memories!