Blade Nano CP X BNF (Transmitter Not Included)
Price:$159.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 7, 2013
I bought this Nano CPX helicopter mostly because it uses the same batteries as the MCX and MSR models and it is reported to be better to use inside than the MCPX which is the other micro collective pitch model by Blade. There is one BIG condition to all this fun, though, that knocks down a couple of stars for me in the review. The short story is be gentle with it for a while and baby the motor. . otherwise it may burn out early. The longer story is below:

There are several reported issues with the main motor in this helicopter on the web but no official acknowledgement of it from it's distributor Horizon Hobbies (other than sending a replacement motor without much hassle). Some people on various hobby websites, YouTube and Horizon's own website in the customer reviews section (for both the motor and the bird) report going through a couple of motors after only 20 or 30 flights each. My own motor has started burning out after 3 ambitious days of hovering exercises in very light wind. If your motor seems to be loosing power sooner than it should on the battery and the main rotor won't begin turning from a standstill on it's own without a little push from your finger. . you have the motor problem.

Horizon Hobbies tec help is saying the motors are "wound a little tight at the factory" and they are unofficially recommending a "break in" period for the motor to loosen it up. This involves running it through 2 or 3 batteries at strong steady throttle on the ground before actually flying it. They then recommend gentle flying for a few more batteries after that before really pushing it's limits. This is not required for warranty, but the new motors are currently (Feb 2013) on back order everywhere and it could be weeks waiting on the replacements. This is not me guessing, it is an estimate from the Horizon Hobbies tec. I spoke with yesterday.

A more advanced break in technique that was recommended to me by the Horizon Hobbies technician if you replace the motor (or if you are REALLY ambitious with your new helicopter) is to hook the motor up to the board uninstalled (or disengage it from the main rotor gear), and let it run full blast for a couple of batteries, then put a single drop of light oil on the motor's shaft where it enters the motor and allow it to work it's way into the brushes. Run it again through a battery, then install it. Then fly it gently for the first 5 or so flights. Assuming you have the skills to do this, it will insure that you get the smoothest motor function and the maximum lifespan. I don't know what the expected number of flights should be on these motors and I am now curious.

I didn't break my Nano's motor in and then I flew the heck out of it doing basic hover practice in light wind. I'm guessing around 50 or 60 flights over 3 days. It still works but it needs a finger push to start the rotor and it is very weak at climbing. I'm new at this so I guess I flew it pretty hard even though I was just training. . . I wasn't doing any acrobatics. I didn't realize that I should expect less from high performance hobby quality helicopters. . in terms of motor lifespan . . than. . say. . my MCX which has also been flown hard. Others may also consider giving the Nano CPX a 5 minute or so break between flights and maybe limit how many batteries they choose to use in a row before a longer break.

This particular motor is the only main motor choice I have found for the Nano without massive surgery. There is no official brushless motor for the Nano CPX from Horizon Hobbies yet but there is a do it yourself brushless conversion kit from Asteroid designs that involves taking it all apart, rebuilding the frame by cutting pieces out and gluing new carbon pieces in and soldering a tiny new speed controller chip onto the not quite as tiny 3 in 1 board among other things. It's a pretty scary mod for a newbie like me but more advanced users may consider it. There is an excellent website with step by step instructions and photos. . as well as a 3 part YouTube video of the process if you search for "Blade Nano CPX brushless install"

Good luck!!
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
I went from a 3ch to 4 ch FP heli before getting this. I bound it to my DX6i and wow, this thing is agile!

Make sure when you set it up that you configure your transmitter properly as per the directions or you'll have issues flying. It is far more stable than my Walkera Genius FP 4 ch heli but I would still recommend you start with a 4ch fixed pitch because this thing is very touchy and easy to get in trouble with but in the hands of someone that is comfortable with a 4 ch heli this is a great next step.

Durability wise I am impressed. I have taken it on 3 very hard hits into the wall and it keeps on ticking. The biggest thing to keep in mind is when you are on Idle Up(Stunt Mode) you need to hit the Throttle Hold switch when you are about to crash otherwise your blades will keep spinning at full throttle on the ground.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2014
This is the one you want. If you have never flown a collective pitch heli, the Nano CPX is your first step on a road to mastering heli.

1. Resilience
I flew this for several months, smacking into walls, being pounced on by cats, full power nose dives, inverted flights into my television, into my face, into my leg, Repeated crashing into furniture, walls, carpet, and each and every time you just pick it up, maybe pop the landing gear back into place and push the battery back where it belongs, and continue flying. After 2 months of this I needed to replace the following parts. 1 tail rotor. That's it. Much later on when I began doing hard 3d moves I finally broke the tail, but I already had the solid stretch kit ready to go and converted it to 115mm blades when that happened. Now I have better tail authority and better lift than the stock blades. I broke one of the plastic legs on the landing gear, just popped them off and popped a new one on, I finally burned the motor out after 50 packs, was a 2 minute swap with no tools needed. And lastly from rough handling taking the canopy on and off I broke 2 of hte canopy mounts, and cracked the canopy in several places. Fixing the canopy was easy, use packing tape on the inside of it and outside, cut off any flash or extra. I put a new canopy on it later just for looks. The canopy mounts were a pain because I had to replace the entire frame, which took a fair bit of work. Make sure you pull the bearings out of the old frame to put in the new one.

Performance: it's right there at that magic spot where you can fly it in your house safely, but also fly it outside to really wring it out. In the living room the problem you're going to run into is because of the smaller rotor diameter, and lower head speed, that when flipping it, you will need to give MUCH more positive and negative collective. Your left thumb needs to be super fast if you want to do rolls, somersaults, tic tocks, or rainbows, especially indoors. I cannot do tic tocks indoors yet for these reasons. My save flight area is the size of a closet below 3 feet, and a large garage above 3 feet. IE couch and entertainment center get in the way at lower altitude. Outdoors with sufficient altitude I can do funnels, tic tocs, rainbows, piro rolls. And inverted hovering is especially easy and nearly hands offf. It is a micro heli though so everything it does, it's going to do faster, and that includes getting away from you , losing control, suddenly deciding to go off in a random direction etc. That will be the biggest challenge you face, you won't have time to think because it all happens so fast.......Because of that, you WILL become a better pilot. By the time you move up to something that could kill you like a 450x it will feel like a gentle, stable and somewhat boring heli by comparison just because of the fast reflexes, and instant orientation compensation you learn using the nano cpx.

Safety: I have secret names for all of my helicopters. 450x = Widowmaker. It can kill you. Blade SR = The Mamer. It can send you to the hospital and surgery to re-attach whatever it knocked off. Blade 130x = the Mutilator. It can leave you with symettrical cuts side by side on whatever part of the body it happened to slice through. Blade MCPX BL = The mural painter because it doesn't just draw blood, it will paint a mural with it. The Nano CPX is the bleeder. It will draw blood. These are worst case scenarios. I hit myself with the Nano CPX on countless occassions and it hurt like hell, akin to getting popped with a towel on bare skin, and even through clothing it hurt like hell but soon faded. I flew into the side of my head under power in idle up mode once and it didn't just hit my ear so hard it went numb, it actually drew blood and left a huge scab. Heli's are NOT toys. They can be dangerous, but the NanoCPX is forgiving and the worst it's going to do to you is use pain reinforcement to teach good safety habits. IT won't send you to the ER. And those skills will progress up to, and give you a greater respect for larger helis that will.

The nano cpx is the ultimate noob heli. It's forgiving, durable, safe, lets you fly indoors out of the distraction of wind and bugs in your face, it's cheap to repair, has plenty of hop ups if you want to bling it out, and has acceptable performance. You can do just about everything with a nano that the big boys can do with a 700mm heli. And if you can make a nano fly straight and over on a pin, and roll and somersault inside it's own diameter without moving out of place or gaining or losing altitude, then you will become a terrric heli pilot on anything you fly.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2013
Verified Purchase
I love this heli. There is no question about that. I received my first RC helicopter for Christmas (2012), the V911. The V911 is a 4-channel flybar single-blade heli that to me is the perfect first helicopter for anybody who is not a young child. After only a few weeks I decided that I wanted to step up to a flybarless hobby-grade heli and that's when I chose this little beast.

I agree with some of the other reviewers that the Nano CPx is incredibly fun. I, however, disagree with the claims that it is indestructible. I actually wouldn't even consider it very durable. It is moderately durable at best, though I am only able to compare it to my $40 V911, which IS nearly indestructible without considering the rotor blades. I am somewhat of a beginner with flybarless single-blade collective pitch helis and so I started slowly. During my hovering practice sessions I had a few minor accidents. After about 10 flights here is my damage report:

- Cracked fuselage
- Broken landing skids (these are way too delicate)
- Cracked tail boom (this subsequently snapped during a more aggressive crash, but it was cracked from my hovering practice)

As I mentioned, they were not very hard crashes and I hit the throttle hold before I ever made contact with anything. I was surprised to see that the Nano CPx took so much damage and now I have to wait for my replacement tail boom and skids. The damage is most surprising considering that I have literally slammed my V911 into the wall on several occasions. The reason I fly it more aggressively is because the rotor is not nearly as lethal as that of the Nano and I am much better/confident with flying a flybar heli.

Overall, the Nano is incredibly fun and much more challenging than the V911, and so I love it. I just wish it lived up to the reputation of durability that preceded it. If you purchase this, which you should cause it's awesome, just be prepared with spare parts and expect to need them. I plan on upgrading the landing skids to aftermarket so I won't have to keep replacing them. As far as the tail boom, I hope future parts show more durability.

4/10/2013 UPDATE:

I have become a much better pilot in the last few months and I don't crash nearly as much as I used to. Even with the few crashes here is a rundown of what I've had to replace in the last 3-4 months:

Landing skids x 3
Fuselage x 1
Swash plate x1
Body frame x 1
Tail boom x 3 (though 1 was new and was because the neighbor's dog pawed it)
Motor (this seems to be shorting out and I think it's time to replace it with another stock motor or upgrade it to brushless)

I replaced the stock tailboom with a solid carbon fiber rod and I wrapped the wiring around it from the stock tail motor. Since I did this I have not broken the boom. These are available on ebay and I HIGHLY recommend this. After I broke another tail boom I just completely tore it apart and took the wiring and motor out of it, I bought a Microheli tail motor mount and then attached that solid boom, the motor and mount and it is now very durable.

I am planning on getting an upgrade for the landing skids because they have broken again and I'm tired of replacing them. I have found several online that seem to be more durable. Overall I love this heli but I think it'll be better once I get some better parts for it so I don't have to constantly replace things.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
What are you waiting for? Just get this thing. My gosh, you want it to fly itself? What else could anyone want – light, fast, very stable, durable and inexpensive to repair, not to mention FUN. This little guy is the Holy Grail for us micro heli guys. I have been playing with these things since they started – way back years ago. I have had them all and there are some great ones out there – but heck, this one is the best. Come to think of it, I still own about 9 different micro helicopters now. This one is different because you can bounce it off the walls, floor and ceiling – I even slammed it into the pavement a few times. Just put it back on its feet and off you go. Seriously, what are you waiting for? They don’t get better than this.
on December 28, 2012
I have over 10 helicopters varying from the MSR X, MCP X to T-Rex 600N. I can honestly say that this is the most fun I have had with any of my helicopters. I fly this indoors when the weather is bad and outdoors even when there is a slight breeze. I really like how the Nano CP X feels like a larger helicopter in regards to stability. I live in Colorado and have no problems flipping the heli and flying upside down unlike my MCP X which required me to change the motor to a brushless to even have decent power. I also have a Blade 130 X which I love to fly in the back yard, but the Nano CP X has started to take it's place in the backyard. The helicopter is a good next step from a fixed pitch helicopter. It is durable, stable in hover (I have hovered it hands off), and cheap to repair in the event that you have a big crash. Another helpful feature is the throttle cut off, if you are new to helis and crash most people forget to shut down the throttle immediately. Instead the helicopter just flops around on the ground causing more damage. The Nano CP X has a throttle cut off when it detects an over load on the motor when it crashes, saving you money in parts and the electronics on the board. The AS3X system is superb as it really helps stabilize the helicopter in slight wind and during 3D maneuvers. If you are using your own radio just use the recommended settings in the manual for beginners to intermediate, and as you get better you can turn down the EXPO a little more. For me I found that +15% expo in stunt mode gave me the response that I wanted to do flips with the Nano CP X. I highly recommend this to those transitioning from a fixed pitch heli and to those who are seasoned fliers for indoor fun when the weather outside sucks.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2013
Flying the Nano CP x is one of the funnest things I ever did. It is very precise and responsive. I had never tried a CP helicopter before. I crashed many many times before I learned. However many times I crashed, the helicopter was so accurate and responsive that I never doubted that the problem was me. The Nano CP X always did exactly what I told it to. Unfortunately that was usually the wrong thing! After 1000 crashes (literally) I can fly it well, but not well enough for inside the house. It has been VERY durable. I have broken a few landing skids and one tail boom. Now that I don't crash as often or as hard, I don't break landing skids either.
The bad thing is that the main motor. It is not a little bad. It is REALLY bad. I have had this helicopter a month and I have put in 4 new motors. I estimate that each motor averages about 30 flights.
There are brushless motor kits available. They cost 1/2 as much as the helicopter. They are also not easy to install. Some require soldering. Some don't. Also I believe that the frame could be modified to accept the motors from WL Toys or Xiedia helicopters. I haven't tried yet.
I am really disappointed. I don't think one should have to modify an expensive toy just to make it work properly.
I wanted to give this helicopter a worse rating, but when it works it is just so much fun!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2012
Verified Purchase
I love this heli.It is basically unbreakable and a much more fun way to learn than a simulator. I also
have a 300x, 130x, 450 3d, and mcpx, but this little guy is by far my fav.
on November 25, 2012
My local hobby shop (KNC Hobbies) introduced me to this Nano CP X Bind-And-Fly. It was an impulse purchase, and one I am glad I made. I have been flying a flybarless T-Rex 450 clone for several months, modified to be pretty much an Align (3GX Gyro, Align digital servos, direct-drive tail rotor, etc). I don't flip my helis (no 3D flying, yet), and pretty much do "sport flying" making loops and just trying to improve my skills.

This little heli is extremely durable, and my flying has greatly improved since its purchase last week. I fly it at least 4 times daily, sometimes 10+ times a day. It comes with two (2) 150 mAh 1S 25C Lithium Polymer batteries, and I went back to the hobby shop the next day to buy two more 150mAh 1S 3.7V 25C LiPo Battery; I simply cannot stop flying this heli. It responds like the larger helis, and of course, I use the same transmitter (in my case, a DX8 8CH Transmitter with AR8000/TM1000: No Servos) for this and the larger helis.

Caveat: My Nano CP X is durable AFTER one issue was fixed by my hobby shop. In the first 3 flights (crashes), the main drive gear on the motor fell off and could not be found. My hobby shop replaced the motor (which includes the missing gear) and the heli has been perfect ever since.

One of the best things about this heli is that I can fly it indoors. Its crash-resistant nature allows me to take chances without incurring the expense and time of repairing a larger heli when it crashes. It also has not damaged anything in my home, including wall paint. I am currently mastering head-in flight and making extremely controlled micro clockwise and counter-clockwise turns indoors. It performs well outdoors also, even with light wind. My eyesight is a limiting factor due to the small size of the heli when flying outdoors, so I generally don't let it get too far from me.

You can adjust your transmitter as if you were flying a larger heli. Exponential curves, throttle curves, pitch curves, Stunt Modes 1 and 2, etc. It's all there for you to adjust to your liking.

Unlike what I have read about other small helis, the Nano CP X's tail "holds" when you rapidly change the pitch of the main blades and make aggressive maneuvers. It's truly amazing. I think Horizon Hobbies' engineers deserve huge kudos for this feat.

I get about 5.5 minutes of flying using a broken-in heli and LiPo batteries.

I find the "stock" blades are better suited for indoors flying, and the bulleted blades (also included) are probably better when you have more room to fly (outdoors).

I also purchased a 4 battery adapter (like this Ultra-Micro Battery Adapter) so I can charge 4 1S LiPo batteries concurrently in parallel. I basically fly for about 20 minutes and dump all the batteries onto the charger. Full charge at 3C current (150mAh/battery x 4 batteries = 600mAh = 1C. 3C = 1800mA, or 1.8A) is less than 20 minutes (if you drain them down to around 20% of capacity). I use a Horizon Hobbies Dynamite Passport Ultra Duo charger and a Thunder Power RC TP610C-ACDC Multi-Chemistry AC/DC Charger/Discharger/Cycler with Balancing System, and either one is fine for this low-load charging situation. I never even touched the included charger that came with the heli.

Horizon Hobby was insightful enough to include two bolt drivers for the feathering shaft, something you may need to use after multiple flights just to tighten up the blades.

This heli is good for both the beginner due to its crash-resistant nature, and probably for the soon-to-be 3D flying enthusiast. It is definitely great for me.
review image review image review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2014
Verified Purchase
Great little helicopter, but NOT for beginners. Thankfully, it's very durable. Just make sure you cut the power before impact!

I've an experienced fixed wing (airplane) flyer, but not as experienced with helis. I've flown gas trainers, and the very basic dual rotor beginner micro helis. I decided to try this machine as a reintroduction to single rotor flying. I probably would have been better off with a less aerobatic model, since every time I try that, I crash miserably. I've found that most of my flying is just simple hovers and circles, both inside and outdoors, which the heli does quite well. This machine handles wind much better than a micro aircraft and does great outdoors.

Be careful how you program your radio, as this aircraft is extremely sensitive to having proper ratios. I eventually realized that I should tone down the "elevator, aileron, and rudder" (that's what my DX6i calls them, even though it's a heli) to about 75% for normal flying. In stunt mode, all bets are off... Let er rip! Hopefully someday I'll get the hang of stunt flying, but I doubt it. For now, I'm happy to stay right side up.

In summary- a durable, well designed helicopter, but much to twitchy and responsive for a beginner flyer. If you are intermediate, use your radio to program the throws down to a reasonable level (maybe 50% for first flight). Enjoy!