Published 14 months ago by Tyler Schimpf

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Getting Used To It
Published 21 months ago by JonnyW

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clean and sleek designed head unit that works flawlessly to boot!, May 2, 2013
This has proven to be a great head unit, much to my surprise with some of these reviews. The first thing I noticed was the heft…this thing is heavy in comparison to many of the ‘good’ American brands. The interface is great, maybe takes a little to get used to but if you've used any two knob stereos (GM comes to mind.) it’s not too unfamiliar. There are many settings, and a very advanced EQ and sub-out setup. The rear USB and MIC out are a wonderful addition that just put this unit one step above the rest. Shop around, feature for feature, there is nothing better.

It looks extremely sleek and very clean in comparison to most other American aftermarket units available. It has a permanent clock setting, which is wonderful for many domestic vehicles that do not have a separate clock. The knobs are rubberized and very easy to grip. The radio reception is loads better than my stock head unit also. Bluetooth works flawlessly as well. I get in the truck, start it up, and boom, my phone is connected….and if the last thing I used was bluetooth streaming…it starts back on the song where I left off! It works just great! Even the built in MIC is adequate in my 2002 Chevrolet Blazer with its mid dash radio location. The best part is, Blaupunkt updates the firmware on their radios regularly as well. All you have to do is download the file to a blank flash drive, plug it into the headunit, reboot it, and tada you’re updated.

Let me go over a few things however regarding some of the Amazon low star reviews:

-Bluetooth works great with both an Android Phone, and 2 Windows Phones. My HTC 8x has some unrelated BT quality issues that ATT is working on, but the other phones sounded great.
-The radio needs set from Europe to United States in the settings menu on the unit to recept US stations. There is a large white sticker on the box that states this. Still, read the manual people.
-The screen does not seem dim to me. My front windows are not tinted. It has 2 brightness settings.
-I have had no abnormalities with the unit except for issues with my personal phone as mentioned prior.

I’ve also created a Youtube video that you can search for if you want a good interface walk through, but overall I am extremely happy with this unit. My only real issue with it is the fact the knobs are blue and cannot be changed. Nothing a small gloss black vinyl circle won't fix.

Oh, and another thing. Blaupunkt is not a Chinese brand, but German. Additionally, any Blaupunkt unit found in the US has been assembled by Blaupunkt and then distributed/supported by Rockford Fosgate if anyone feels wary about the fact that Blaupunkt does not have a corporate office in the US.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Getting Used To It, October 23, 2012
JonnyW (Southern California) - See all my reviews
We got the 420BT as an upgrade to the first aftermarket Blaupunkt head unit that's in our 2003 Volkswagen Eurovan. The first Blaupunkt unit that the 420BT replaced came after the original stock head unit, which was also manufactured for VW/Audi by Blaupunkt. We upgraded from the VW stock radio to the first Blaupunkt to get CD and CD changer functionality. It served us very well for 7 years, and it matched the VW eurovan's interior motiv very well--complete with red and blue lights, and a nice subdued black finish. It looked like it should have been original equipment. So when we saw that Blaupunkt was again being offered in the US (it disappeared for several years between 2008 and 2012), we decided to upgrade again to the 420BT because of the Bluetooth capability, both for hands-free phone, and for audio streaming, since we both use iphones for music storage and podcasts.

First, the good. The 420BT maintains the same exact wiring harness that they have always had, and which is fully compatable with the stock VW wiring harness for the 2003 Eurovan (and probably for all VWs and Audis of that vintage.) So, installing it was extremely simple again--just plug and play, and the standard DIN size fits the dash opening perfectly. The drawback for styling on the 420BT is that the front bezel trim ring and the radio face changed from a subdued black finish to a gloss black finish that seems to be made of much thinner plastic. So, while the radio fits well, it now stands out a little more from the other dashboard controls, looking a little more aftermarket than like original equipment. However, Blaupunkt did stick with the same red and blue light combination on the 420BT, so at least that aspect matches our VW motiv well.

The 420BT features that will take some getting used to are the controls. There is a lot of scrolling through menus using the dials to get to functions for bluetooth and audio controls like the fader (which we use a lot in the van for the kids). Even the equalizer functions setup is not all that intuitive. And to go along with all those menus, there is a very prominent (loud) confirmation beep for each button press or scroll dial. Very annoying. The phone pairing and playback setup is also not very intuitive either. And there are some features lacking on the phone and streaming that would be nice, like the ability to control the gain (volume) on the bluetooth device input.

The 420BT's other features will also take some getting used to. The built-in microphone does not have an adjustment for gain volume. It doesn't do very well in picking up voices, and it also doesn't reject car noises very well. It is difficult to hear the driver on a phone call. There is a 2.5mm jack on the rear for an external condensor mic. Apparently, it's not yet being distributed through Blaupunkt as of yet. But when it is available, I think the external Mic will be a necessary upgrade, installed on the driver's sunvisor, and hopefully would improve the telephone sound quality. One other fature I'm not sure of yet is the front USB connection. It has a nice rubberized dust cover, but I fear with repeated use, the cover will break off. What I may do instead is route a USB extension cable through the ashtray to connect to the stereo's rear USB connector, and just not use the front USB connector at all.

There is also a SD card slot for music behind the faceplate. We have not used that, and probably won't use it. But it does seem to be a good feature to have available just in case we ever have a SD card device in the future. I believe that the unit will also control satellite radio unit through the back connectors, though I'm not sure. And, sadly, Blaupunkt deleated the CD changer control inputs on the back, which would have been a very welcome feature for our keeping our venerable old changer going.

Bottom Line, There are some good features on the 420BT and many that will take some getting used to, and also some features that I wish it had. However for a one hundred fifty dollar price point, I would say it is good value for money and does primarily what we intended for it to do as an upgrade with Bluetooth functionality. If it grows on us as we become more familiar with it, we may improve the rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars All around great product with only minor quirks, June 4, 2013
Kevin Ferris (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 1996 VW Passat because Balupunkt uses the EXACT SAME wiring harness and it was a simple plug and play operation for me with no permanent wire modifications. I have been using it for about one month at the time of writing this review

PROS: Lots of settings to get it just how you like it, TONS of features (some of which you wouldn't know about unless you read the manual completely), comprehensive array of inputs, and of course Blutooth. Blutooth works like a charm for me; my phone connects automatically as soon as I turn my car on. Call quality is clear when just sitting in the car, but can be a bit hard to hear for the other end if you are driving out and about. Of course, your experience will vary and many external variables to the radio itself come into play. Luckily, there is an external mic available for those who need more clarity. Sound quality is pretty good, considering I'm just running my stock 17 year old speakers. Radio reception for me is excellent, and actually a bit better than stock. Build quality seems sturdy to me and shouldn't just fall apart on its own.

Fake CONS: These are things other people are saying who aren't giving a fair impression of the product. For one, several people complain about an ear piercing bleep every time they hit a button. If they actually read the manual, they would know this is a setting that can be disabled. Others complain about a bad display that is invisible in the sunlight. This may be true for you, but not everyone else. If your car holds the radio angled upwards at all, then yeah your going to have that problem with any aftermarket radio that isn't a blindingly bright display. Speaking of which, I'm glad that this radio has a dimmer display because nothing sucks more than a radio that is super bright at night and distracts you from driving. This radio has a setting to automatically dim a little when you turn on your lights (not a big difference, but a nice feature). Finally a couple people complained that the bass is too low. The reality is the bass is normal on this radio and your factory radio had a built in equalizer that artificially bumped the low frequency range to make the crappy stock speakers sound better. If you enable "LOUDNESS" in the settings of this radio, it will partially simulate this effect and may make these people a bit happier. If you still need more bass, then get a sub-woofer like a rational person.

Real CONS: These are actual quirks of the product itself. The most notable for me is if I enable the permanent clock, it shorts to 12:00AM every time I turn it on (this might just be a problem with my set up as I don't see anyone else complain about it). For me its no big deal because my dash has a clock on it. It is also a slight annoyance to have to manually turn the radio on every time I start my car; it should just turn on with my ignition (NOTE: I might just not know how to set that up to work). The menus are a little bit cumbersome to navigate, but 90% of the time you will spend in all these settings will be the initial setup. Finally, I will confirm that the silver front panel is indeed, a FINGERPRINT MAGNET.

SUMMARY: Highly recommend for VW owners for its no-brainer installation. Great set of features for the price. If you actually READ THE MANUAL, you will enjoy it thoroughly.

SUBNOTE: There is a firmware update available for this product on Blaupunkts website that you can do through USB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inexpensive stereo, June 26, 2013
I have been a digital music only listener for about 15 years now. I have about 35 GB of high quality music in my collection, ripped from CDs that I own and purchased from sites like Amazon MP3 and iTunes.

After my Mazda was totalled last year, I picked up an older Subaru station wagon for a daily driver. Compared to the mid-range Alpine stereo and amp I had in my Mazda, the stock stereo in the Subaru was a bit disappointing in audio quality, but what really bothered me about it was it's inability to play MP3 CDs, and it's lack of an aux-in jack. I was reduced to burning my MP3s onto audio CDs in order to listen on the road. Ultimately the CD drive died altogether and I was forced to look for a replacement.

In the past, I have been disappointed with many entry-level car stereos due to poor build quality and cheap, gaudy appearance. I came across this unit (the Melbourne 120) while browsing Amazon.com, and I was unable to find much information on it online. Mostly Russian language sites, and my Russian is poor. I liked the understated appearance of the unit though, and I really liked the idea of an SD card slot instead of a CD drive, so I went ahead and ordered it.

Installation was pretty straightforward. I used a Subaru Wire Harness, so I was able to solder everything together ahead of time. The overall length of the Melbourne 120 is significantly shorter than the factory stereo. Because of this and the fact that the antenna jack on the Blaupunkt is on the opposite side of the head unit compared to the stock stereo (factory jack is on the driver's side, Blaupunkt jack is on the passenger's side), I found that the antenna wire wouldn't quite reach and I needed an 18-Inch Antenna Extension Cable to connect the antenna.

The appearance of the unit is quite nice, and it lacks the cheesy gaudiness of many entry-level car stereos. The Melbourne 120 does *not* have a removable faceplate, but it's appearance is (in my opinion) not likely to attract undesirable attention, so I will not ding it's score for this omission. The volume knob is a rotary encoder which feels very firm and not at all sloppy, especially compared to entry-level stereos from other manufacturers. None of the face buttons are loose or sloppy, and they all give a satisfying audible and tactile "click" when pressed. The display is not a dot-matrix display, but a standard segmented display that has a dot-matrix effect applied to it. I find that this effect does improve the legibility of the onscreen text. Overall, the "user interface" portion of the receiver is very good, much better than I expected from something at this price point.

The SD card reader works well. The SD card slot is well designed, such that an SD card can be fully inserted into the stereo and the cover replaced, leaving no visual evidence that the card is there. When powering on the stereo with an SD card inserted, the stereo will first scan the SD card, a process that can take anywhere from 2 - 20 seconds depending on the speed of your SD card. I found that the Samsung Pro Class 10 cards are *much* faster than my cheaper Transcend cards, consistently coming in at the 2-5 second mark regardless of how full the card is. Powering the stereo off, it will remember which MP3 file was playing and what position, so when you turn it back on, it will resume playing from where it left off. When playing MP3 files, the "d pad" on the right of the unit makes it straightforward to find the songs you are looking for. Up/down moves through the folders on the card, left/right moves through files in the current folder.

The only real downside to the SD card playback is that the files in a folder are played back in the order that they were copied to the card, rather than track order or alphabetical filename order. The Windows file copy process seems to sometimes randomize the order in which files are copied, which can lead to some frustration. My current solution is to copy the files via the command line with the robocopy command, but I realize that this might be unacceptable to some users. I have elected not to deduct a star for this though, as this limitation seems to be par for the course in car stereos (the USB port on the Alpine stereo in my old Mazda behaved the same way).

Audio quality is good. Even without an amplifier, I can turn the music up louder than is comfortable. I have not tried maxxing out the volume, but at 32 out of 50 it is definitely uncomfortably loud. I am using a Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Speaker in each of the four doors. My biggest complaint is that to change the bass or treble level, you have to go into the audio menu, but since in most cases once these levels are set you won't need to mess with them again, I am again not docking points for this.

A couple of additional points. The Melbourne 120 can only play from SD cards and USB sticks that are formatted FAT32. I had a USB stick with some music on it that wouldn't play back, and it turned out the stick was formatted exFAT. Once reformatted FAT32, the stick worked fine. The unit does come with a little remote control, although I cannot fathom why this would be useful. An interesting feature of this stereo is that it can be turned on with the car's ignition turned off, so you can let someone listen to the stereo without leaving the keys in the car. In this mode, the stereo will turn itself off after one hour to prevent draining the battery. Of course, the stereo also turns itself on and off with the ignition key as a normal stereo would.

All in all I am very pleased with the Blaupunkt Melbourne 120, and would not hesitate to recommend it to someone with similar needs to myself, especially at it's price point.

4.0 out of 5 stars senior citizen freindly, December 16, 2013
Blaupunkt has kept with their long time history of making things simple and relatively easy to comprehend for senior citizens in not making this radio too complex or having too much info displayed. Sound quality seems excellent and stereo/quad imagery respectable and not requiring added amplifiers although amp output is available for those wishing more power. Flash drive and external input is easy to access through front panel USB port. Removable face panel makes brand and head unit unidentifiable for long term parking.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, July 10, 2013
the bluetooth on this unit works perfect,and the rest of the radio is very easy to use by any body

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5/5: functionality is good, navigation is a little painful, and you may need a sub if you want more than mediocre bass, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Blaupunkt Cupertino 220 World AM/FM/MW/RDS CD Receiver with iPod/iPhone Direct Control (Electronics)
Replaced my 2003 Ford factory FM/CD/MP3 with this so I could finally plug in external devices.

Pros: has both aux USB (only supports apple from what I've found so far) and headphone jacks, works, is fairly easy to use.

Cons: Can't use the USB for Zune (yes, I still have mine), less bass than my slightly above average factory unit without using a sub, users manual isn't very helpful (especially for info on the aux features), navigating around your library for apple products (using the USB) is painful: no knobs... you have to press the arrow buttons to scroll through any list, only one line shows at a time.

Overall, I've been using it for several weeks (including a road trip) and I’m not reverting to my factory radio. it's nice to be able to plug in a device and play music and the sound is OK, although I am considering looking into an amp/sub to boost the bass (yes, more $). If you don't have playlists on your iPod you can just select and play, you may end up just using the double-sided headphone jack so you can navigate through your library easily on your device rather than with the head unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Upgrade to a Classic Dashboard, October 28, 2012
I was looking for a car radio to replace the garish CD player in our '79 Porsche 911. For many years, Porsche used Blaupunkt radios as their original equipment car audio supplier. I was glad to find that Blaupunkt radios are still available, and still look great in a Porsche dashboard. It even has two "knobs" that approximate the Blaupunkt radios of the '60's.

It's icing on the cake that the radio not only works well, but it offers current features like Bluetooth and USB audio streaming and telephone connectivity. Both features work well with my iPhone 4, and were easy to set up. I was also pleasantly surprised that the price was so low, as I was expecting to pay quite a bit more for this brand.

Only downside to this radio was that the Blaupunkt-supplied image of the faceplate doesn't really show the finishes accurately. I was expecting an all-black faceplate, but the actual finish is mostly black with a lighter metallic trim piece that surrounds the central display area. I'm getting used to it, but would have preferred all black. Given that this lighter trim fingerprints easily, it's not the best finish for the bottom row of buttons that get used often.

All in all, a great upgrade to our classic car!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not iPhone Compatible, February 18, 2014
Overall the receiver is excellent. Our radio did not work well before, but now that it is installed, it is wonderful. The remote is mildly helpful, especially if you have passengers in the back that you would like to hand control to.

The biggest drawback to the receiver is that the USB functionality is very poor. I only have an iPhone, so I haven't thoroughly tested the capabilities. However, this device does not work with an iPhone 5, at all. It won't even plug in and charge. I have no idea how a nice $100 plus piece of equipment could not at least recharge my cell phone while I drive. I don't even need it to play music. I would have settled for the AUX input. This is super frustrating and part of the reason I paid extra for a nice piece of Blaupunkt equipment.

Other than that, the sound is excellent. The controls are smooth. The improvement in radio is great and the experience as a whole is quite wonderful.

Be warned, for many domestic cars, you will need several additional accessories to install this receiver into your dashboard. Research your vehicle to ensure you purchase the correct mounting kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, February 3, 2014
I was replacing an older Blaupunkt so it was plug and play. Every feature works just like they say it will. The bluetooth seamlessly connects with my iphone. Still haven't figured how to transfer my contact list to it, but that's probably my fault. The feature where you use an internal mic, and your stereo speakers to talk when you're on the phone works excellently. I just wish it had the feature where you can change the face colors like the old ones, but that's small compared to how well everything else functions.

Rate and Discover Movies