Published on July 30, 2010 by LetterRip

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, out-of-date and insulting
Published 4 months ago by William Rumley

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally quite good but some screenshots and documentation are based on 2,5x alpha and will not match 2.5 final, July 30, 2010
This review is from: Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6 (Paperback)
First off a disclaimer. I contributed a chapter to 'The Essential Blender' which Roland edited, I also contributed the animation script 'The Beast' for which Roland adapted for his book "Animating with Blender: How to Create Short Animations from Start to Finish". I also am writing a book for the upcoming Blender 2.5. So I have 'conflicts' of interest in both directions :)

As always Roland has excellent writing skills with a enjoyable style, and is a great instructor. The graphics are of high quality, and being in full color is greatly appreciated. I love the coverage of the animation system, which has received some major upgrades, and so there is a lot of new stuff to learn. It is clear that a lot of work has gone into this book, and it will make a useful addition to ones Blender book shelf.

Unfortunately there are a few things that really bug me about the book - firstly I feel the title is misleading. This book is not associated with the Blender Foundation nor is it a sequel to 'The Essential Blender', both of which seem somewhat implied by the title. The Blender Foundation contacted the publisher regarding concerns about the title, but since the book had already gone to press, the title could not be changed. Instead a disclaimer about it not being endorsed by Blender Foundation is to be included inside the book. From talking with Roland he didn't have any control over the title choice.

The title is also misleading in that there in no Blender 2.6 in the immediate future. The Blender Foundation has decided to call the next version 2.5. I think this could be quite confusing both in the near future for this coming release. But also for whatever future release is actually called 2.6 which will likely differ in some significant ways from the current release. This title error is reasonable since there was confusion on the naming and at one point it seemed to be agreed on that the upcoming release would be called 2.6.

Roland recently contacted me noting that the title had been mentioned in some threads at [...] , including one I had posted in so he feels that any concerns could/should have been addressed earlier. That is a fair point, on the other hand I feel that it should have been obvious that the title would be considered a questionable choice.

Aside from the title, there is also the issue that the book is based on an Alpha version of Blender 2.5. The interface for some tools has undergone fairly significant changes, ie the screenshots for sculpting, painting, and uv editing toolbars are all significantly changed. The multires modifier interface and possibly others have changed. Tool shortcut keys and preference options have had some changes. Indeed most of the tools and improvements of the sculpt system were not in the alpha version of Blender that this book documents.

The book however is primarily focused on other parts of Blender. So unless your interest is primarily the sculpt and paint system, or your ability to follow a tutorial where the interface does not agree exactly with the tutorial text, this is a quite good all around introduction to Blender.

Based on the content and quality I'd recommend this book, however the title issues, and using of prerelease software for screenshots I think are a disservice to the readers and could lead to some confusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you're looking for, September 7, 2010
Scruffy (Fall River, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I assume that if you're reading this you're new to Blender and are looking for a great Blender book to get you up to speed. This is the book. I hate long-winded book reviews that boil down to a few relevant sentences so I will get straight to it.

There are three good reasons to buy this book.

1. Roland Hess knows Blender inside and out having been both a Blender artist and a software developer for some of its features. You can have tremendous confidence in what he tells you and know that it will save you time and make you a productive Blender user.

2. Hess focuses like a laser beam on the most important features of Blender and there are a lot of them. He doesn't wander into things that are nice, but you may use once in the course of a year. His writing is clear and direct. He gets to the point and offers professional advice that would take you years to learn on your own. He tackles the main pillars of the Blender platform: modeling, texturing, lighting and animation. His chapter on lighting is the most coherent and useful I have ever read. In addition, he has a number of extras on his web site like great videos on texturing and modeling. You can get most of the .blend files from his site as well.

3. This book will take you beyond the basics. Even though this is billed as a beginner book, Hess isn't afraid to build into the more advanced topics. Some of the stuff he covers like texturing aren't covered half as well in so called "advanced" texts. As an experienced Blender user I can highly recommend this book to intermediate and even advanced users. You will pick up some valuable info from the book. The tutorials are not cheesy little "let's make a coffee cup" tutorials. They're first rate and if you work through them you will be learning some important Blender skills and when you're done with the tutorials you will actually have something you can be proud of.

If you are new to Blender, get this book and study it. Do the tutorials if you can. It will be valuable practice. If you're a veteran Blender user and want to get up to speed with the totally new Blender interface and some of the new features, get this book. The proposition is simple: you can spend 6 months hacking away at Blender and just scratch the surface or you can get this book and spend a few weeks studying it and spend the next 6 months building dazzling CG.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, must be a diligent student., October 31, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I recently got this book as I was trying to learn Blender by myself with the help of videos I found online.

To start with, this book covers the newest version of blender 2.54 beta (as of this moment) which is very different from the past version, user interface that is , this book helped me a lot in that respect.

The book has plenty of pictures to help you get a clearer view or you can also visit : [...]

The book consists of 404 pages.

Pros:
covers all areas from downloading and installing blender to creating models, animation, scenes etc.
Pictures in the book are all in color. :)
The author takes you from creating a single flower to creating a full blown scene step by step.

Cons:
Later on the author assumes you have memorized plenty of shortcuts to do things in blender so if you have a bad memory like me, you will have to go back to remember how to do stuff.
Shortcut commands should be bold to make them easier to search for.

In the end, the book is good, I gave it 4 stars because I think it could have been a bit clearer explaining things. If you are a rookie or completely new to 3D modeling, this book along with Blenders online video tutorials will help you get off to a right start on things.

I managed to create my flower, vase and chair and also a small animation so I feel like I have learned a lot, in just 1 week. So I feel like its been worth the time spent on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic intro to the world's most difficult program to teach, May 23, 2011
If you want to learn Blender, you should pick up this book. That's the short version.

Hess made a wise decision to structure his entire book around the creation of a single project, one that incorporates basic modeling, lighting, and character animation. Hess has contributed code to Blender itself (from what I understand), so the man knows what he's talking about. His explanations of some of the more technical subjects (casting shadows, say) are particularly lucid. I especially appreciate his honesty when it comes to the Blender's limitations, and also how you can "cheat" to work around them.

I can't give the book a full five stars for two reasons. The first is that the Blender interface changes so rapidly -- and indeed has changed since the publishing of this book -- that beginners less adept at learning new programs may struggle to locate various menu commands. This is a minor issue -- most keyboard shortcuts and menus match up -- but an issue none the less. Honestly this isn't Hess' fault, it's simply an issue when teaching a rapidly changing open source program (hence the title of this review).

Second, there are a few occasions when Hess neglects to mention some common snafoos likely to crop up in some of his lessons. For example, in an early lesson Hess explains how to use the array modifier to create a set of four evenly spaced table legs rotated around the base of a table. He does not mention that if you at any point scale your table legs, the array modifier will not work properly (it will make each leg copy larger than the next). This is because you have to apply any scale or rotation changes BEFORE using the array modifier. This Blender quirk can actually cause all sorts of problems, and I'm surprised he doesn't mention it.

I didn't run into too many issues like the one above, but there are a few, and I would worry they might become roadblocks for novice users, especially as the issue above isn't something a novice would be able to look up for himself, at least not easily, as it's in no way intuitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great foundation for learning 3d, November 29, 2010
Karl Bielefeldt (Huntsville, AL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I suppose you could call me an experienced beginner where Blender is concerned. I have used it since it was first open sourced back in 2002. However, I only pull it out around once a year to spend several hours on a logo or lower third, the kind of project Roland Hess could crank out in under 15 minutes. In effect, I have forgotten and relearned how to use Blender several times. Never has it been so easy to learn as with version 2.6 and the Blender Foundations book.

If you have tried learning Blender before and found it too difficult, version 2.6 was made for you. The user interface is organized in a much more logically consistent way, and most of the quirks that made work overly difficult have been ironed out.

However, any 3d software worth using is necessarily too complex to just click around until you figure out how it works, and that's where this book comes in. It is written with the assumption of zero prior experience, and takes you through all the basics of creating a complete animated 3d scene, from simple modelling all the way through speeding up render times.

The author does a good job of instilling habits that will be useful later. He explains the long way to find commands, but also points out the most useful keyboard shortcuts to commit to memory. He doesn't explain every little item in the user interface, but explains enough to accomplish the basics and to be able to understand more advanced online tutorials. He explains the reasons behind his actions, in welcome contrast to many online tutorials that just tell you where to click and what numbers to enter. There isn't a single lamp or bone in his examples that you don't know why it is there. When a single solution isn't clear, he teaches you how to experiment to find the best results. He points out several traps that beginners often fall into and how to recognize and avoid them.

I wish I had this book years ago. It is well worth the price, especially considering the money you will save on the software itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Basic Blender Book, Best Blender Book!!!, November 13, 2010
Considering that I can't stand to read books to learn software and that I prefer video tutorials, this is the first book that I have actually sat down with and have thoroughly enjoyed. Blender 2.55 or 2.6 as this book calls it is "hot-key" intensive, and just having a cheat sheet with the hot keys really doesn't give you an idea of what the hot-key really does. Roland Hess expertly describes how the hot-key is used and even gives you logical information on how to remember the hot keys. I've learned more in one week with this book than any book on Maya or After Effects. I've learned more from this book in a matter of days than I have with any video tutorial. Excellent Book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6, August 26, 2010
I needed to find out where the tools I have been using for years disappeared to in the new interface design.
This book does that and more. Excited to have a guide on hair and cloth. Has simple rigging and UV mapping.

The best part is, as a visual learner, the color images that you can see details in! Some blender books I have bought were printed on newsprint (I swear!)and you just could not make out what the picture were of. Let alone the differences in render settings.

I am thrilled.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, out-of-date and insulting, February 17, 2014
This is a stern warning! If you're new to Blender, do not buy this book! It was published in 2010 and was not brought up to date. It was written for Blender 2.4, despite the title saying it's for Blender 2.6! I'm finishing Chapter 4, and I have found many, many differences between the context of various tools in this book, and their counterparts in even Blender 2.5. The author's attitude can be off-putting at times, and downright insulting in a few places. At one point very early on in the book, Roland Hess says basically that if I don't commit to the basic view controls to memory, that 3D isn't for me and that I should play with Crayola Model Magic. Mr. Hess, I've actually worked in 3D since late 2006, so no, I have not committed these controls to memory, because in every other application I have worked in (professionally I might add), the controls are completely different. I'm not a keyboard shortcut kind of person, and holding down the middle mouse button to manipulate my view in 3D space is not easy when your middle mouse button also scrolls and pans left and right. Yes, it is the default, but why not illustrate that all of the shortcuts and mouse actions can be changed? I have two very capable shoulder buttons on my mouse, and one of them serves just fine for moving around in the space. But that is just one example.

I have already found nearly a dozen errors associated with various actions and I'm not even done with Chapter 4 yet. Three times now, I have Googled major issues I have had with following steps in the book, and each one of them points to this book, Blender Foundations.

This book is an exercise in frustration, and I cannot recommend this book to anyone first starting out in 3D. As for me, it is a very good thing that I have already been working 3D applications for seven years, otherwise I would have no clue as to where to even start in regards to the steps in this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, February 26, 2011
shivatrance (rehoboth, DE USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have most of my experience in 3D from using Maya and Cinema 4D. Through this book I have found that Blender is an amazing tool that really shines when combined with other applications.

The guide is great and truly helps build a foundation of understanding for the program. The tutorials in the book are also excellent as I find that tutorials seem to be the best method for hands-on learning at home.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Blender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner's Resource, October 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having never played much with Blender before, this book was a great guide to getting started and learning the fundamentals of the software. The chapters and guides were well written and informative and didn't assume a high level of familiarity and experience as books of this type often do. As a result of this book I have a much better appreciation for the Blender software. Recommended to anyone interested in learning how to use Blender.

Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6
Blender Foundations: The Essential Guide to Learning Blender 2.6 by D. Roland Hess (Paperback - July 15, 2010)
$44.95 $29.56