6,923 Reviews
 (5,465)

There have been many negative reviews on the BlenderBottle, lately. To see just how accurate some of these comments are, I submitted the following message to BlenderBottle today:

Published on February 7, 2012 by Courtney S. Putnam

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but a little leaky
I own two of these blender bottles. One in the 20 oz and one 28 oz size.
Pros:
* The spring does a good job mixing especially with thick liquids.
* The mouth hole cap fits tightly and doesn't leak when you shake the bottle.
* ML and OZ measurements on the side of the bottle.

Cons:
* Both sizes leak noticably where the top screws onto...
Published on May 5, 2009 by Travis Schmid

5.0 out of 5 stars Questions Submitted to BlenderBottle Today (UPDATED: 29FEB12), February 7, 2012
This review is from: BlenderBottle Classic Shaker Bottle, 28-ounce, Clear/Black (Kitchen)

"I have been told that customer service may be lacking at BlenderBottle. I submit this inquiry to test that assumption. I have a couple of questions that have come up that are not identified on your FAQ section.

Why did you switch from plastic #7 to plastic #5 for the body of your bottle?

Do you sell replacement balls?

There has been a lot of talk on Amazon.com that the new bottles leak and crack at the bottom. Have you noticed this being an issue and if so, have you taken measures to address it?

Where are BlenderBottles manufactured? There is no country of origin on the bottles that I have seen (it may be on the packaging, but I didn't check the packaging).

I hope you are able to respond to my email. I would be very disappointed to only receive an automated response. In closing, I use one of your bottles and have not identified any of the concerns that I have read about. Over the course of the next several weeks, I will hopefully determine that the BlenderBottle quality is what you claim it to be. I look forward to using my bottle. Thank you for taking the time to read my email."

I am a new BlenderBottle owner and from what I can tell it is what it claims to be. It cleans easily, it doesn't retain odors and it seems to be made of fairly thick plastic. Time will tell if the bottle is up to my quality standard. I will post the reply, if any, that BlenderBottle sends me. Stay tuned!

(UPDATE 08FEB12)On the very next day, after sending my message, BlenderBottle responded, personally. Here is the email:
"Hi Courtney,
Thank you for your interest in BlenderBottle products. Customer satisfaction is our highest priority. We do our best to respond to all customer inquiries in a timely manner, in the same way we are responding to your message today.

The BlenderBottle Classic has always been made of the same materials (cup #5 PP, lid #2 HDPE, BlenderBall 316 surgical-grade stainless steel). All of our products are and have always been BPA free. Our newest product, BlenderBottle SportMixer, is also BPA free. The cup is made of #7 Eastman Tritan, the lid is made of #5 PP, and the BlenderBall is made of 316 surgical-grade stainless steel.

We do sell replacement BlenderBalls. They are available by contacting our Customer Service department either by phone or email.

We design our products to be stylish, durable, and leakproof.

We continually look for ways to improve our product and only use what we consider and test to be the very best materials and manufacturing processes. That is why we stand behind all our products with a full customer satisfaction warranty.

Our products are designed in the USA, proprietary, covered by multiple patents, and responsibly manufactured in China.

Thank you for taking time to inquire about our products. We hope you enjoy your new BlenderBottle!

Best regards, SUNDESA LLC | 801.235.9448 | BLENDERBOTTLE.COM"

So there you have it. If you trust what the manufacturer is telling you, then you can be pretty certain that you will be buying a good quality product. If you aren't happy with it, they have a guarantee. I personally hope I never have an issue with my BlenderBottle, but if I do, I will tell-all in an updated review. Happy blending!

(UPDATE: 29FEB12)I have been using this bottle for about a month now. First, let me start by stating that there is one major problem with Amazon.com reviews and because this problem is not able to be resolved, it remains. To have one reviewer RAVE about how great a product is, followed by a WARNING to never buy the product, simply mystifies me. Most reviews seem to be well thought-out and provide great information. I just don't understand how some reviews can be such polar opposites. So, with that said, here is my one-month evaluation of the BlenderBottle.

It hasn't cracked or shown any signs of wear. Some reviewers have claimed that their bottle cracked. Since this is a protein shaker and is intended to be used by health-concious people (e.g. weight lifters), I would imagine there are some pretty buff people, out there, shaking their protein drinks like there's no tomorrow. I am not a body builder or weight lifter and I shake my drink in a gentle, swirling motion.

I have left protein drink residue in it for up to two days and it has not retained the smell (or created any funky smell) after I washed it. Some reviewers have claimed that if they didn't wash the bottle immediately after use, it retained a smell similar to a decomposing body, forcing them to discard the bottle. If I forget to wash my bottle immediately, I only have to place a small amount of soap in the container, blend it, and rinse it. It seems to be a very high quality product. Despite some scathing reviews, I recommend you try this product. With Amazon.com's terrific return policy, you simply have nothing to lose. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars At first I didn't think it was necessary ; I was wrong..., March 14, 2012
Jenraider72 "Jen" (Northern New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Length:: 2:31 Mins

So, clearly I'm not a weightlifter or trying to bulk up by drinking protein shakes, but I am using them as a way to increase my daily caloric intake. In the video, I am using a whey protein powder and skim milk. When I ordered my first jar of protein powder, I almost bought this bottle as well, but then I figured I really didn't need it. I thought I'd just empty out a water bottle and shake it in there, or stir it in a glass. By the 2nd shake I made, with mouthfuls of powdery lumps, I decided it was something I should invest in - and really- not much of an investment at that- only $7. and change. I honestly never thought that the shakes would have been that difficult to mix, so as to justify the purchase of a special type of bottle, but I was quite wrong. Who knew? Well, not me, apparrantly. Anyway, it does exactly what it claims to do, and it does it very well. All of the shakes I've made have been consistently smooth, and I have not seen any leakage from any part of the bottle. It is actually very well made, and the flip top lid is very tight and secure. That little metal ball really does make a huge difference in how the shake turns out. It's a time saver as well-very quick. No buyer's remorse; received the item on time, total A+++ purchase. Highly recommend for mixing any type of powdered drink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Protein Shake Maker Around, July 13, 2008
Like the prior reviewer, I have tried in frustration to use the cheap, freebie mixers from supplement orders. All suffered from two problems; leaks (protein shake on your gym shirts/shorts - Arrgh.) and poor mixing of whey protein and other powders.

This shaker bottle has a tight fitting screw on lid, and a securely closing pop-open top that have never leaked, not once.

I thought that the stainless steel "blender ball" seemed like a gimmick but it WORKS GREAT, mixing even hard-to-mix supps like BCAAs well. Whey powder, Gatorade powder and such are a breeze. Just make sure you have an ounce or two of liquid on the bottom before adding powder and you're set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, August 26, 2009
This product does exactly what it's supposed to do, blends powders for drinks. I've used several other protein shakers in the past, most specifically the Bodytech - Bodytech Shaker Bottle, 1 piece and I always have drinks that come out not completely mixed. It's pretty disgusting to be drinking a protein shake and take a bit out of a big clump of unblended whey powder. I can vigorously shake one of those shakers for 20 minutes and not get results as effective as 10 seconds with the Blenderbottle. It doesn't even require much effort, since the blenderball does most of the work (rather than your arm). The lid on the top fits very snugly. Unlike other shakers where I have to hold down the lid to prevent it from opening up while I'm shaking it and spraying my drink everywhere, the lid on the Blenderbottle is very secure. For the first few days I covered it up with my hand while I blended, because I was afraid it would open up, but finally realized that it wasn't going anywhere. The bottle is very easy to clean, and I usually just rinse off the wire blenderball with water.

My only problem with the bottle, is that the measurement markings are clear (same color as bottle). It would be nice if they were an offset color so I could quickly read a measurement without having to hold the bottle up 2 inches from my face. But other than that, I couldn't ask for a better product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, lid developed small leak after 5 months, manufacturer replaced, February 25, 2010
Brock Tice (Saint Paul, MN) - See all my reviews
I just bought a second Blender Bottle so that I could rotate them through the dish washer and always have a clean one. I use them daily after my morning runs for protein drinks. With a good brisk shake, I have no problems whatsoever with chunks of clumped-up powder. HOWEVER, you may have noticed that some people say the bottle can leak, while others deny it. Here is what happened to me. The bottle never leaked through the seam where it screws shut, nor did it leak at the spout where the lid closes it off. It DID, after 5 months, develop a hairline crack in the lid, where the 'arm' that holds the hinge connects to the lid itself. It is not possible to see the hairline crack unless I pop the spout off. I thought I was going crazy until I found protein drink on my hand twice in two uses of my older bottle after shaking. It did start leaking out of that crack, but nowhere else.

This would be enough for me to give it a three-star review -- I only had it five months after all, and I wasn't using it daily that whole time -- but a short call to the manufacturer today resulted in a new bottle being sent my way. I'm hoping it was just a structural fluke in the plastic in my bottle, and that my newer ones won't have the same problem. So, if you've had yours a while, and you think it might be leaking, check under the hinge in the cap. Kudos to the manufacturer for a quick no-questions-asked response and replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shake it up, baby!, October 13, 2008
I love my Blender Bottle! The design proves, once again, that some of the best innovations are simple modifications of existing approaches -- and proves also that aesthetic touches can make a world of difference in the experience of a product.

For a long time, I'd been using a generic brand of shaker for my protein shakes and other beverages. It was ugly, felt a bit cheap, but did the job -- to an extent. My drinks didn't taste very smooth, but I tolerated that -- and I could get them to a pretty decent consistency if I shook the bottle long enough and hard enough.

I bought this one after seeing the rave reviews and hoped they were right. They were. There are several advantages to this type of shaker over the other one I've used:

1. It looks good -- yes it is made of plastic but it is a rugged plastic, that feels solid; the edges are smooth and there are no lines that indicate an inferior manufacturing process.

2. The cap goes on smoothly -- with my other bottle I had to keep trying to get the cap to fit the groove and go on tight. If I got it wrong then it would leak when I started shaking. With this cap I've never had problems.

3. The "lip" that covers the drinking hole stays open or shut as you like -- with my other bottle I had to hold it shut with my thumb while I was shaking, and then when I would drink it kept flipping back to hit my lip, so I had to hold it open. This one stays shut if it is shut and doesn't flip back when it is open.

4. The real innovation here is the "whisk" style steel ball that rolls around as you shake and really breaks up any solids you put in there. I have a powdered green tea that dissolves only with difficulty, but the whisk seems to break it up very easily.

5. It is easy to clean -- I keep mine at my office where I don't have a dishwasher, so I wash it by hand between uses -- and because the lines are clean and because it is fairly wide at the opening, I can reach in there with a sponge and really get it clean.

If you are in the market for a shaker bottle I can't imagine you'll find one better than this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but a little leaky, May 5, 2009
I own two of these blender bottles. One in the 20 oz and one 28 oz size.
Pros:
* The spring does a good job mixing especially with thick liquids.
* The mouth hole cap fits tightly and doesn't leak when you shake the bottle.
* ML and OZ measurements on the side of the bottle.

Cons:
* Both sizes leak noticably where the top screws onto the bottom when shaking with watery liquids. Neither leak with thicker liquids.
* The measurements on the side of the bottle are very difficult to read. You have to hold the bottle at just the right angle to the light to read them.
* Noisy! I work out in the morning when everyone else is asleep. I've gotten complaints that it wakes up my wife and kids upstairs when I shake it downstairs.
* Misleading sizes. The measurements on the 20 oz bottle only go up to 12 oz. I assume they get the other 8 oz by overfilling into the domed cap after screwing it on tightly. The 28 oz bottle measurements only go up to 20 oz. Again the domed cap can probably hold the remaining 8 oz but you aren't left with any room for the liquid to move. It's not a problem since the spring is still free to agitate the liquid while you shake it. Just be aware that the size of the bottle described includes using the cap which is harder to fill than when the cap is off.

Summary
I wouldn't recommend the blender bottle for watery liquids mainly because of the leaking issues. I also don't think the extra agitation the spring provides is necessary with watery liquids.

On the other hand if you are using primarily for thicker liquids like protein powders and milk shakes, I definately recommend it. The extra agitation from the spring helps a lot and the bottle doesn't leak with the denser liquids. The thicker liquids also muffle the noise problem fairly well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Originally loved it, but two out of four lids cracked, October 31, 2011
Jeff (Tucson, Arizona) - See all my reviews
I really like the design of these bottles. I purchased four of them from a local store. Of those four, two developed cracks in the lids a few months after buying them. I emailed the company with pictures but heard nothing back. Oddly enough, my wife has a couple of bottles that were purchased a few years ago and they have worked flawlessly.

I really like the function of these bottles, but will most likely not buy another because of the faulty lids and customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars great shaker, February 11, 2009
one of the best i have ever used, doesnt leak, blends fast and easy, and doesnt have any hidden crevasses for chunks to get stuck and stink up the thing. easy clean, no complaints.

1.0 out of 5 stars Super CHEAP material that retains odors..., July 18, 2013
I bought two of these a couple months ago on Amazon. I was very mislead by the average 4.5 star average rating. These things are total junk! First, they always smelled like the chocolate protein shakes I used them for, no matter how many times you washed them (this happens after the first use...not over time). I left one in my vehicle one day during work, and now it smells totally disgusting. Again, no matter how many times you wash them, they still smell exactly like the last thing you used them for. Super cheap, junk plastic w/ no telling what kind of chemicals in it. "Made In China"...there's your sign! These things are headed for the trash where they belong.

BlenderBottle Classic Shaker Bottle, 28-ounce, Clear/Black