5.0 out of 5 stars [UPDATED]Blendtec Designer Series vs Vitamix 5200
My mom got a Vitamix 5200 from Costco about a month ago. I used it almost non-stop. Used it to make rice milk, strawberry-banana smoothies, butter, and peanut butter. I used it so much I started to consider getting a high performance blender of my own. About a week later, I ended up getting the Blendtec Designer Series just to see which blender I liked better...
Published 17 months ago by quagmire

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought both this and a Vitamix to compare, this one lost
Published 8 months ago by Dallas, TX

5.0 out of 5 stars [UPDATED]Blendtec Designer Series vs Vitamix 5200, August 15, 2013
This review is from: Blendtec Designer Series Blender, WildSide Jar - Black (Kitchen)

Let me just say this review comes down to personal preferences and what you are willing to compromise on as both blenders are very good. You cannot go wrong with either blender. Both do the job just as well as the other.

Pro's vs the Vitamix:

- Design. I have always put a high value on form. Depending on the gap, I will sacrifice some functionality just to get the better looking product in my opinion. The Blendtec Designer Series is certainly a good looker. The design of it is also part of the reason why I went with the Designer Series instead of the Total Blender Classic. I got the black model so when everything is off and unplugged, the Blendtec just blends in. The motor base is rounder giving it a smooth look. Where the Vitamix 5200 motor base has sharp edges and is squarer looking. It stands out on the counter. So a win for the Blendtec.

- Controls. I just love the touchscreen controls. Another reason I went with the Designer over the Total Blender Classic. The touch controls enhance the design of the motor base as referenced above when everything is turned off. When the controls are on, they are bright and sharp looking. The touch controls are responsive with no lag. As soon as you press the mode, the motor turns on and does its job. I love it over physical buttons. How a person uses a Blendtec differs from the Vitamix. It's hotly debated and up to personal preferences. The Blendtec relies mostly on its automated modes for blending your food. The benefit of that is you can simply hit the smoothie button and walk away. It will go through the smoothie mode starting out slow to draw the ingredients into the blade and slowly progress to a higher speed to turn rice milk, an orange, a banana, and frozen strawberries into a smoothie and stop when done. The Vitamix is all manual control where you start on Variable 1 and work yourself all the way to high depending on the recipe you're using. While this gives a person more control over the blending process, it does require the user to be more watchful when blending. For my uses, I prefer the Blendtec's automated modes. It does provide a slider for manual control and a pulse button.

- Jar. The Blendtec's Wildside jar has a fifth side that is stated to help prevent cavitation. While I don't have the Fourside jar to compare it to, I haven't needed to stop the blender and mess with the ingredients in order to get them to blend. The Wildside jar is a square in shape leaving a nice wide bottom near the two blades. This combined with the two dull blades makes things a lot easier. I have made pretzel/pizza dough (same recipe) with the Blendtec. After allowing the dough to rise, the dull blades and the wide bottom made it easy to get all the dough out of the jar without worrying about cutting myself on the blades and trying to get everything out of the jar and not wasting anything. Where the Vitamix jar is a more traditional round design that narrows, as you get closer to the sharp 4 blades. When making peanut butter, it is a pain in the neck to get everything that is below the blades out of the jar. Have to take a spoon and take it out constantly moving the blades to get as much peanut butter out of the jar.

- Cleaning. It's not a big win for the Blendtec as both machines are easy to clean. Just put about 2-3 cups of warm water and a dash of dish soap in the jars and let the machine do the cleaning. But, it goes back to the jars design. When making thicker things like peanut butter and dough that tend to stick to the jar, the wider bottom and dull blades make it easier to rinse out the Wildside jar. Where you have to again work around the sharp blades at the narrow bottom of the Vitamix jar.

- Size. The Blendtec is able to be stored under the cabinets with the jar still on the motor base. The Vitamix can't store with the jar on the motor base.

Cons vs. Vitamix

- Consistency. Like cleaning, for me it's not a huge win for the Vitamix. But, the sharp blades do have a benefit over the dull blades. The frozen strawberries from Costco can be huge. And sometimes just running the smoothie cycle on the Blendtec leaves 1-2 small pieces of strawberry in the smoothie (nothing a few more seconds wouldn't solve). A lot of the times it will be completely smooth. But, I guess it depends on how many of the huge frozen strawberries find their way into the smoothie I make for the day. So a small win for the Vitamix there.

- Lid design. Not a huge negative for me, but I do like the Vitamix lid design a bit better. It doesn't get as much splatter on it than the Blendtec's. Making it easier to remove without worrying about getting the contents of the jar over the counter, etc.

The washes between the two blenders.

- Noise. Both of these machines are loud, but they are very tolerable. In my opinion the Vitamix is a bit louder, but there is so little difference between the two. It shouldn't be a deciding point between them.

- Out of the box readiness. This all comes down to what you plan to do with the blenders. If you plan to do nut butters more, the Vitamix is ready to do it out of the box with the tamper. The Blendtec either requires you to stop the machine to push the nuts into the middle of the jar so it can be blended or have to spend the money on the Twister Jar. From videos I have seen it does a good job making nut butters. On the other hand, if you want to do grains, the Blendtec is better suited for them out of the box (just as long as you don't mind cosmetic damage from the grains marking up the jar). The Vitamix requires the dry grains container, which has a different blade design better suited for grains. Where the standard jars blade will be damaged over time grinding them up.

Conclusion

I prefer the Blendtec Designer Series to the Vitamix 5200. But, it doesn't mean the Blendtec is the better blender. As stated above, it all comes down to personal preferences and where you are willing to compromise on. For me, the Blendtec came out to be the winner. But, you can't go wrong with either blender.

Update 10/13: I'm still loving the blender. Been making smoothies almost every day for breakfast. Also used it to make baked potato soup( blendtec recipe and delicious) and other meal ideas. I did get the Twister jar to make peanut butter. Twisting the top in my opinion is easier than using the tamper with the Vitamix. Also, I like the texture/consistency of the peanut butter using the blendtec and twister jar over the Vitamix.

5.0 out of 5 stars The iPhone of blenders!, January 26, 2013
"HOW MANY TIMES HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU..."
After I was married I bought my wife a Kitchen Aid blender thinking I was investing in a quality appliance. It lasted barely a year. Our next blender was a cheapo Oster, and though it outlasted the Kitchen Aid by several years, it leaked oil and never really pulverized the ingredients adequately. I considered the Vitamix and even the Ninja, but hated the fact that they can't fit under an upper cabinet.

"THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!"
After much research, I found the Blendtec, which had glowing reviews and an impressive seven-year warranty. Though there weren't many reviews of the Designer Series model, I took a leap of faith, swayed by the more cleanable controls and claims that it is quieter and runs cooler than the Total Blender.

"CAN YOUR BLENDER DO THIS?"
I wondered whether I was nuts for spending over four hundred dollars for a blender, but as I unpacked it from the box I could tell this is a quality machine. (As a bonus, it is mostly manufactured in the US.) It arrives well-packaged, with all parts individually protected and absolutely no assembly required. Also included is an instructional DVD and a spiral-bound recipe book (more on this later). The DVD includes operating instructions, a few recipes, and the original infomercial where they pulverize an iPhone and a 2x4 in the Blendtec.

"IT'S THE LAST ONE YOU'LL EVER OWN!"
This is a hefty blender, weighing in at about eight pounds, with a fairly large base, measuring about seven inches wide by nine inches deep by six inches high; with the blender jar in place, it's still only fifteen inches tall, so it will fit underneath an upper cabinet with no trouble at all. This baby draws 1,560 watts and 13 amps, so if your electric wiring is out of date don't run the microwave at the same time. The power cord is reassuringly thick and unusually long - about four feet - but thankfully it comes with a sturdy Velcro wrap attached to the cord. The blender base is mostly featureless - colored plastic sides (mine is cream) with a black plastic top and small silver Blendtec medallion near the bottom; there are no sharp edges and no small places for food to hide. On the underside, there are two molded "handles," a large vented center channel to keep the motor cool, and a continuous rubber foot.

My blender came with both the standard "Fourside" and "Wildside" jars. The Foursider has graduated markings up to 32 ounces and has a total capacity of two quarts (64 ounces). The Wildside has a fifth side and a longer four-inch blade for a better blending vortex, they claim; it can hold up to 90 ounces. Both jars are made of BPA-free copolyester plastic with rounded contours inside for easy cleaning (the jar and blade cannot be disassembled, so it should be cleaned after each use). The "wingtip" blade is unusual because it is very thick and not so sharp that you would cut your fingers while cleaning it. On three corners of the jar's square mouth there is a bevel that allows you to pour with minimal dripping. The lid has an oversize tab on each corner that makes it easy to remove (even if you're arthritic); it's made of some kind of rubber with a plastic insert that lets you add liquid while the blender is running without removing the lid.

"SO EASY A CHILD CAN DO IT!"
Except for the lighted power "button," the entire control surface is glossy black like an iPhone until you turn it on. The capacitive touch interface makes it easy to keep things clean; when it's off it has a sleek, understated look that blends in easily (no pun intended). Turn it on and it lights up like a Christmas tree. There are presets for batter, frozen drinks, smoothies, ice cream, whole juice, and soups, plus a pulse function and a manual mode with eight different speeds. When you select a preset, the blender will ramp up and down in speed for the optimal blend.

The first time I made a smoothie I was shocked by how much this blender skipped around the counter; despite having an eight-pound base with rubber feet, this baby moves! After one month of use, I still don't trust it enough to let go while blending, and sometimes it will even make nearby vitamin bottles dance across the counter. (It only does this when blending frozen ingredients.) Fortunately the lid stays tight no matter what. I will probably try placing it on a rubberized mat in the future. That's the power of a 1,560 watt blender. Despite some reviewers' complaints about the Total Blender, the Designer model was no noisier than you'd expect a blender to be. My first smoothie was amazing - every bit as smooth as the ones you can buy in a bottle. Now I make a double portion (approx. 40 ounces) every morning to share with my wife, using 8 ounces of juice, 6 ounces of greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, a cup of frozen strawberries, a banana, a dozen grapes, a cup of cantaloupe, a cup of pineapple, 1/2 cup of kale, 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, and a whole sliced apple or orange. When I make a shake this large, I find I need to run it on high in manual mode for another 15 seconds after pressing the smoothie setting. Delicious, and no more chunks!

"NO FUSS, NO MESS!"
Clean up is surprisingly easy - I just pre-rinse the jar and then wipe it out with a sponge; the lid pops apart and rinses clean. As with any blender, the ground flax and strawberry seeds tend to stick to the sides; if I didn't use flax or strawberries I probably wouldn't need the sponge at all. Other reviewers recommend not putting it in the dishwasher because the jar will become cloudy over time. I only do so after grinding raw meat and turn the heated dry option off.

"BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!"
When I read that the Blendtec came with a recipe book, I figured it would end up in the trash like the pamphlet-sized "cookbook" that comes with a George Foreman grill. Little did I expect that it would make me think about what goes into all my food. This spiral-bound book is a great companion piece to the blender; the recipes really demonstrate the diverse capabilities of the Blendtec, including invaluable information about ingredient substitutions, grinding your own flour from whole grain, how to peel a mango, get meat from a coconut, and more. After hearing so many news reports about "pink slime," I now buy fresh or frozen meat and make ground meat in the blender - it's actually cheaper and I know exactly what part of the animal I'm eating. I have also followed the recipes to make soups, dry broth powder, hummus, salad dressings, homemade brownies (baked in the oven, obviously!), fresh ginger ale, and carrot juice (though it's no replacement for a juicer.) Everything has been delicious, but most surprising is the soup function of the blender, which actually heats the soup using friction from the powerful blades alone! (This makes it kind of frothy, however.) I am looking forward to making my own bread dough, almond milk, peanut butter, tahini, apple butter, ice cream, sorbet, and even whipping up a facial mask for my wife! Who knew a blender could do all this?

"NOW HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY?"
There are very few products in this world that, besides being thoroughly well-designed and functioning as intended, change your lifestyle. For me, this was an investment not only in a quality-made product but in my health. I cannot recommend it more highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great blender. Worth the price if you look at it as investment in your health, February 14, 2013
***Things to like***

-Easy to use. Preprogrammed cycles are simple and straightforward for the most part (but see one negative below).

-Can handle anything you throw at it. Blows through frozen fruits, fresh foods, ice cubes, etc., without missing a beat. I can't tell you how many "cheap" and some "not so cheap" blenders I have gone through over the years. They either can't handle the load, or worse, the motors burn up. Latest blender to bite the dust was my Kitchenaid. I admit that I got about 6 years out of it, but it never did a great job in my opinion. I would say that it was somewhere between "barely adequate" and "just ok". By contrast, I would rate my Blendtec as "fantastic",

-Can do so many other things than just make great smoothies (although it does make awesome smoothies).

-No tamper needed. I can't comment on the 4 side jar, but the Wildside jar does a great job of getting a vortex going and pulling the ingredients down to the blade. Have not yetwished that I had a tamper like the Vitamix.

-Great warranty. 7 years? Are you kidding me? I put the receipt in the box and the box on the shelf in the garage. If anything happens in the next 7 years I'm covered. To me, that is incredible peace of mind for this expensive kitchen appliance.

-Stylish and fits on your kitchen counter.

-Easy to clean the base and the jar.

***Things not to like***

-Loud. Tolerable, but I wouldn't even think about making a smoothie in the morning unless everyone else in the house was already up.

-Expensive. If your $30 Oster works ok for you, don't even consider this $450 blender. Only you can determine if it is worth it, based on your own needs and financial circumstances. For me personally, I looked at it as long term investment in my health. I am trying to eat healthier, and this blender is a great tool to help me do that. I also like to cook, so I am looking at it as an adventure and a challenge.

-Recipe book is for the Total Blender, not the Designer Series Blender. This may sound trivial, but if this is Blendtec's top of the line blender, then it should come with a recipe book designed exclusively (or at least inclusively). As it is, many of the recipes reference cycles on the Total Blender that are not on the Designer Series Blender (i.e. syrups? sauces?). I had to refer back to a photo of the Total Blender controls to know that if the recipe called for the syrups cycle, it was the same as the soup cycle on the Designer Series. The flagship blender should have its own recipe book.

-For very thick blends (i.e. peanut butter), the twister jar is recommended. This is the jar that you twist the top to turn scraper arms that push thick items to the blade. That's another $120 expense. You don't "need" the twister jar, but it does make some things easier. Disclaimer: I don't own the twister jar, so my comments are based on Blendtec's own recommendations, and observations from other reviewers.

Overall, I recommend this blender.

**Update 4/7/13**Wanted to add one caveat now that I've had more time with this blender. Manage your expectations. This is touted as the most awesome and amazing of blenders, and it is, but there are still limits. I've made dozens of smoothies now, and for the most part they have been perfect. I have noticed that if you overload the frozen fruit, you can get some pretty serious cavitation issues. That's not really a fault of the blender, and its a well known phenomenon, but still something to be aware of. Watch your ratio of liquid to solid to frozen. Also, some of the non food recipes in the included recipe book did not work out well. Specifically, my 13 year old daughter tried to make the face mask. She followed the directions exactly, and it just didn't come out well, or even useable (although she tried to use it, but that's another story for another day). Again, the key is to understand that this is one of the best, if not **the** best blenders you can buy, but it won't be 100% perfect 100% of the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blender... Stellar juicer, February 4, 2013
We got this blender as a gift about six months ago and have used it to... blend stuff. Then, a little while ago, a bunch of cosmic forces came together and convinced my wife and me to "start juicing". (Almost simultaneously reading articles on juicing in several magazines, watching an episode of Dr. Oz and a documentary on healthy choices including juicing, and several conversations where the topic came up.)

That's when we discovered the true power of this blender. I already knew that the 4" blades meant it could whip up a smoothie in nothing flat, making short work of ice cubes in the process. Also, we found that the lid design allows a lot of air into the container so it can mix with whatever is being blended. What I didn't realize is that the "smoothie" setting is *ideal* for breaking down leafy greens, chunks of fruit, and hunks of vegetables as well. It seems to "know" when to speed up, slow down, and pulse, all during the preset 45 second program to produce a blended, liquefied, and still textured beverage regardless of the ingredients we've tossed in.

I did some research after the fact (it's easier that way... no decisions to make) and discovered there are three, no make that four, camps in the juicing world. Hope you don't mind and as long as I'm already typing I figured I would share:

- There are people with "real" juicers. For me, I like the idea of consuming everything (instead of throwing out pulp).

- There are people with "normal" blenders. I guess they work for juicing. I haven't tried. However, in the past I tried using a regular blender to make milkshakes and they didn't come out anywhere near as good as with my Blendtech.

- The last two camps are the Vitamixers and the Blendtecers. Both are expensive. Both are powerful. (I've seen Vitamix demos and read a lot about them.) The difference to me, aside from Blendtec's snazzy appearance :) , is that it has the built in programs to mix, crush, whip, and whatever else with just the press of a button. And, best of all, from our experience it's not a gimmick and they really work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, February 18, 2013
Ok, after hearing about the Blendtec for so long, I finally had to check it out and see what all the hype was about. So I purchased this blender last week, and I am just completely blown away by it! So far I have made a couple of hot soups (and I never thought I'd care if a blender could make hot soup, but it is so easy to make such a great and healthy soup that I'm never going to buy canned soup again), green smoothies, fruit smoothies and almond milk just to test its capabilities. And the smoothies turn out nearly perfect every single time. Every once in a while, there will be a small chunk left over from the pre-programmed cycle, but it's nothing that pulsing for another 5 seconds or so won't take care of.

But honestly, making hot soups, green smoothies, and almond milk were not the true test I wanted from the Blendtec. Yes the Blendtec does these things unbelievably well. But the true test for this blender for me was whether or not it could blend blackberry seeds. I have avoided blackberry seeds like the plague with other blenders because I hated always having to chew those darn seeds. I even avoided those "mixed berry" frozen fruit packs because they always seemed to either contain blackberries or raspberries. So one of the first thing I did was load up my Blendtec with blackberries and let it go to see what would happen. I am happy to report that it can blend blackberry seeds! Every once in a while in my smoothie, I might get a "piece" of a blackberry seed, but it's definitely not whole, unlike any other blender I have ever used.

This is by far the single most powerful blender I have ever used. Before this blender, I've only used $20-50 blenders and the $129 Ninja blender w/single serve. I thought the Ninja was fantastic, and for its price, it is a good machine. But it really doesn't compare to the Blendtec.

The pros of the Blendtec so far are:

-The pre-programmed buttons take away the guess work in knowing how to make the perfect blend.

-It works fast, so it doesn't need to be on that long, which is good because it can get very loud. But like I said, it doesn't need to run long to do its job (unlike other blenders, including the Ninja, that I had to let run for at least 2 or 3 minutes in order to get something drinkable, and even then it was no where close to the Blendtec's quality).

-I like the Designer series layout. It makes it very easy to clean, as there aren't any buttons for liquids to get stuck in.

-Very stylish and it fits under my cabinets (even my Ninja couldn't do that).

-It can blend blackberry seeds!

-Made in the U.S. and comes with a 7-year warranty.

The cons are:

-It is very loud. Supposedly the Designers series is quieter than the original Blendtec models, so I'd hate to hear how loud those were. But at least it doesn't have to be on long.

-The price. Yes, I love my Blendtec and I am now using it daily, but make no mistake about it: it is expensive. I try to look at it as an investment for my health. Because before I owned the Ninja (and now Blendtec) I rarely ate vegetables. But thanks to owning good blenders, I am now having around 15 servings of fruits and veggies per day.

-Grinding grains apparently scratches up the pitcher. K-tec recommends that Blendtec owners purchase a second pitcher for grinding grains, which means an additional $100. Keep in mind, it's not that the Wildside pitcher can't grind grains; it's just that if you want your pitcher to remain aesthetically pleasing, it is recommend to have a separate pitcher for the grains.

All in all, I would recommend the Blendtec to anyone who is serious about their health and serious about green drinks. I have never seen a "cheap" blender that has both quality/durability (in this case, time will tell, but I'm judging by older Blendtec reviews) and the ability to blend greens smoothly. I've heard one reviewer once state that if you're serious about blending, then you'll end up at the Blendtec or Vitamix eventually. I didn't think that would be me, but in my case he was right. I became unsatisfied with the quality of my other blenders, including the Ninja, so I wanted to check out the Blendtec and never have used the other blenders since.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought both this and a Vitamix to compare, this one lost, May 12, 2014
Like many of you probably are, I was stuck between buying a Vitamix and a Blendtec. The Blendtec was a little more appealing to me. I liked the overall aesthetic and smaller footprint; and the presets were appealing. On the other hand, the Vitamix was much more substantial, both in weight and size, and I liked the simplicity of the manual dials. To make my decision a bit easier, I bought both at a store with a generous return policy to test at home. The majority of testing involved making green smoothies, with the occasional prep of nut butter or hummus.

While the Blendtec's motor is extremely powerful, I found it to be overkill for most applications. I wasn't blending iPhones, just fruits, vegetables, and nuts. On the highest setting, the lightweight base usually rotated on the counter if I didn't stand there and hold it in place. More annoying was the fact that the presets rarely worked. For instance, about half the time I made a smoothie (and, yes, the jar was properly loaded in each case), the blade would only catch in the last few seconds, leaving unprocessed chunks behind. I would then have to remove the jar, shake it to rearrange the contents, and then press the smoothy preset a second time or operate it manually. I also noticed this problem at a few live demos I attended. The key point is that the idea of the Blendtec being a "set it and forget it" blender is only true about half the time.

The Vitamix 5200 had plenty of power for everything I tried, and it harnessed that power with more accuracy and finesse than the Blendtec. The controls were robust in their simplicity, the knob and switch being very intuitive to operate. The Blendtec's buttons seemed cluttered and unnecessarily complicated by comparison. Furthermore, I found that my eyes were a much better judge of preparation than any of the Blendtec's presets. Many Blendtec advocates claim that the tamper is a major inconvenience of the Vitamix. I never had to use the tamper for a smoothie. Period. The only preps that required a tamper were nut butter and hummus. I was unsuccessful making either in the Blendtec WildSide jar, so I had to use the Twister jar, which essentially has a tamper built into the lid. The jar of the Vitamix was much taller, preventing me from storing it under my kitchen cabinets. My solution was to set the jar next to the machine which looked nice.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blender is a Beast, September 21, 2013
After killing an Oster 12 speed blender in 11 days making green smoothies I decided to splurge on this blendtec designer in black, and after a week with it I have no regrets. The big decision with these high-enders is between this and the Vitamix. Can't go wrong with either one I suppose, but I chose the Blendtec because of its size, size of jar, easy cleaning, it just looks better in my opinion, and it was less expensive for a new one(non refurb).

Also I like that the blades are somewhat dull in the Blendtec instead of sharpened on the Vitamix. The base of the wildside jar is big and flat making cleaning and removing sticky stuff much easier and you don't have to worry about slicing a finger or resharpening/ replacing the blades and/or jar.

The only cons I've noticed are with the jar lid. It is vented to let steam escape when making hot soup, but the vented center cap gives me no confidence that its going to stay on without keeping my hand on it the whole time. Also whatever is being blended will usually splash up on top of the lid, which results in drippings while removing. Always have to have a paper towel nearby to rest it on.

Both have a 7 year warranty but I've heard in other reviews Blendtec charges for shipping on repairs where Vitamix does not.

The touch pad for the controls looks great and works fine so far, but I can't help but assume it won't last 20+ years like the manual switches on a vitamix. The blend cycles are good but don't seem to liquify as much as I like with one cycle for smoothies. I usually use the whole juice cycle, then add the smoothie cycle to get the results I'm looking for. This process takes about 1.5 minutes, where the cheap Oster would be blending away for up to 5 minutes and still not do the job.

The 3 horsepower motor is a beast, and it is loud, and if not held down it will shake around on the counter a bit. Another reason I keep my hand on the lid, which really isn't a con for me because I get some satisfaction out of watching this thing pulverize whatever I put in there hahah. From what I've heard the Vitamix is heavier and more stable but just as loud, so that's part of the deal with a monster blender.

One of the reasons I went the blender smoothie method instead of a juicer is the clean up, which is really easy with this. Just do the self clean and wipe the base with a towel, its all smooth like wiping down a counter top. Plus I don't feel like I'm wasting all that healthy fiber and pulp that the juicers remove. If blended long enough everything is liquified anyway.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a powerful high end blender. Hope this helped anyone who took the time to read it.. happy blending!

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I was looking for!, April 1, 2013
This blender was an upgrade for me from a Ninja, which was a total waste of money. I was looking to make green smoothies and the "smoothie" I ended up with with that blender, was anything BUT. After searching around, I quickly learned that my choices were really going to be between the Vitamix and the Blendtec, and after some more reading and searching, I decided I wanted the Vitamix. I had a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond that I planned to use, making the purchase slightly more affordable. Well, low and behold, when I went to place my order, the Vitamix was not eligable, and after a call to BB&B I learned that that is per the manufacturer (Vitamix). That left a sour taste in my mouth and I immediately checked the Blendtec and found that my coupon could be used on it, so a Blendtec it was. Well, now that I own it, I cannot imagine being more pleased! Prior to the Ninja, I never even owned a blender, so having one for smoothies was really about as far as I was thinking. Once I receieved the blender, however, and read the recipe book that came with it, I realized I had more then a smoothie maker.

But before I get ahead of myself, my main reason for wanting one WAS to make a green smoothie, something that the Ninja failed terribly at. After a smoothie in the Ninja, I almost couldn't even conceieve that it was possible to take whole fruits, skin and all, and actually blend them so they could be put through a fine mesh strainer with nothing left behind! I was (and still am!) amazed! Who knew?! I have never had to run the cycle more then once and have never had any issues with my stuff not making it's way to the blades (something I was worried about, since the blades do not reach the edge of the jar). Liquid, greens, whole thawed fruits and then frozen and you are good to go!

The greatest part though, has been beyond the smoothies! I honestly never knew that a blender could have so many uses. I have made soup, nut butters, flours, ice cream and sauces - all in a minute or so! Probably not a huge deal for most, but for someone who never even owned a blender prior to this, it is pretty amazing! I did end up purchasing the twister jar to go along with this (amazing - love it!) and find that I use it more then the wildside jar. It is perfect for nut butters - so smooth! And of course, lots of single sized smoothies for my youngest daughter.

I have never owned, operated, or even laid eyes on a Vitamix, and though I was initially dissapointed, I now can't imagine liking a Vitamix any better. My blendtec does everything I wanted it to do and more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally bought Blendtec after waiting for a few years, July 10, 2013
I have been drinking green smoothies everyday for approximately four years so I knew about Blendtec and its competitor's blender soon after I started green smoothies. But my wonderful (also was a wedding gift) KitchenAid blender (approx $100) worked just fine to serve my purpose: making green smoothies. Recently, my family members joined me in drinking green smoothies every morning, and I needed a much powerful blender with a bigger jar so my busy morning is less chaotic. I finally bought a Blendtec which I wanted for a few years.

In conclusion, I love my Blendtec. Reasons are as follows: 1) there are ONLY three parts to wash - two lid parts and an easy-to-wash square jar. (To compare with my long-well-serving KitchenAid, it has eight parts to wash including two little caps, a lid, a jar, a blade part, two rubber seals and the bottom part to secure jar and motor. I didn't mind it before but now I feel that's too much. Also, Blendtec doesn't need a stick like the competitor offers.); 2) I can choose between 10 manual speeds and six options (including mixing, ice cream, smoothie, whole juice, soup, etc.); 3) very powerful and it does the job well. For instance, on smoothie mode, strawberry seeds are well crushed while my 10 KitchenAid leaves them untouched. Kale's fiber is well blended and much creamier than using KitchenAid. Therefore, green smoothies turn out much better and smoother; 4) I don't have to attend the blender as it automatically adjust speed and stops when it's done. I didn't think this was a big deal because attending to KitchenAid was nothing, but now I know that I can do so much in 40 seconds of smoothie cycle such as wiping off kitchen counter, making tea, etc.; and 5) it makes good pizza dough (I just followed a pizza dough recipe in Blendtec recipe book that came with the blender!) and pasta sauce with fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil and tomato paste.

If you are debating which one to buy, Blendtec or its competitor's blender, my final determination was made after I heard the competitor's sales representative at Costco demonstration said, "Starbucks and other smoothie places also use our product...." I saw her eyes swimming. I knew (and she knew) that it was a false information, because through my a couple of years in market research as a customer at coffee shops, I have not yet seen the competitor's blenders but always found Blendtec blenders on their counters. In addition, Blendtec fits right under my kitchen cabinet, which was an important factor to consider. As other reviewers may complain, the blender makes a loud sound because it's a POWER blender. The noise does not bother me or my family because we all know it does the job very well.

As of now, Amazon sells three colors on this series, but if you want to own a metallic one, go to Blendtec website ([...] Amazon offers free shipping and lower price, but they don't carry the fourth color.

I wish I didn't wait this long to own a Blendtec. My morning green smoothie ritual (?) would have been much easier, tastier and faster. Thank you, Blendtec. My family and I really really enjoy your product. And thank you KitchenAid for serving me green smoothies for the last four years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food disintegrator, June 10, 2013
Dear Amazon Shopper,

Yes, it will indeed blend. This device is a masterpiece of culinary wizardry that will grind coffee beans, slush mixed drinks, juice whole vegetables, serve up a perfectly-textured smoothie, and on maximum setting will sublimate solid matter with the efficacy of a Star Trek phaser. It is aesthetically appealing and the touch-sensitive controls are pleasant, stylish, and effective in their operation while eliminating the inherent weaknesses of mechanical buttons (not that touch-sensitive buttons aren't susceptible to failure). Each cycle is appropriate for its listed function, and manual mode is more-than-adequate to service your other needs. The vortex created by the "Wildside" jar appears to improve the speed and uniformity of blending, while its BPA-free polycarbonate construction offers peace of mind that the healthful lifestyle this blender facilitates will not be sabotaged by endocrine-disrupting plastics. A truly miraculous touch is the BLUNT blade that this jar utilizes, which does not fail to reduce flaxseed to a fine powder, relying on sheer brute force to reduce solid matter into mist. While you will probably never have to use the 7-year Blendtec Warranty, it's a comfort to know that the manufacturer stands behind its product.

All of this being said, there are a few things to know about this blender before making your purchase:

1 - It's loud. While it is actually rather quiet for a device with this kind of output, you'll still want to cover your ears.

2 - It has a redline. Manual mode will not operate for greater than 50 contiguous seconds in order to preserve the motor. This is not a problem, as this blender will reduce your silverware to powder after 50 seconds on high. That being said, if you've got something that needs a bit longer or has to be blended in stages, you can just press the button again and the blender will thrum right back into action. The timer in manual mode is also upward-counting, permitting you to determine the total amount of time spent bending between the max-50-second intervals.

3 - There are cheaper blenders. At $454 + tax, this isn't exactly an inexpensive blender. In essence, the entire home-use blender market is open to you at this price point, so consider all of your options carefully. I did a great deal of research before settling on this blender, but it can't hurt to check out the competition and see what strikes your fancy.

Note, however, that I did not purchase this item from Amazon due to recent lapses in customer service and was pleasantly surprised at the coupon discount (20% off) I was able to receive when purchasing this item from an alternate major retailor. I'd advise you to shop around to find the best combination of price and vendor service.

While it's a pretty penny to part with for a blender, if you use it as frequently as I do, this blender will be a purchase you wont regret.

Happy blending!