Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black
Color Name: Black - FourSide JarChange
Price:$357.19 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 73 reviews (1 star)show all reviews
on February 8, 2010
We've had our blender for nearly 5 years, but won't be patronizing K-TEC, including their BlendTec product line, anymore. The pitcher has a gear fitting on the bottom that tends to wear out every 2 years. They blamed us the first time because we had put the pitcher in the dish washer a couple of times. Thinking they were an honest business, we coughed up the $100 to have them ship a new pitcher. Around 2 years later, the exact same problem started happening. This time they admitted that their pitchers only last about 2 years with regular use.

Here are the symptoms:
* Grey powder between the pitcher and the base. That's powder from the metal shaft in the pitcher grinding up.
* Sharp grinding noise at the beginning right before the blades really spin.

Eventually the shaft fitting wears down completely and won't work anymore, requiring you to spend another $100 or more (as prices rise) every other year for a new pitcher.

Personally, I find this to be a total rip-off when old blenders that cost a fraction of the price and made in the late 70's are still able to work (albeit without the same amount of torque) for 30 years and this one can't even last 3!

Stay away from K-Tec and BlendTec and tell your friends to look for alternatives.
5151 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 26, 2012
Color Name: Black - FourSide Jar
We have had our blender for about two years, and I have rated it a four until today. It was previously a five until the blades would not turn as rapidly, and I figured that we had worn it down and would need to see how well the warranty works. But as of today, it is a less than a one. Beware that if you use it often, at some point you will smell something burning, and discover black pieces of plastic hovering around in your smoothie, or other blended food - if you are lucky and do not drink first and discover that you have ingested it. Read the one star posts, and you will find that this is the way that the product works. It is inevitable. One can only wonder how much plastic you ingest before it becomes noticeable. The plastic fixture that houses the blades inside the pitcher eventually gives way, sending pieces of plastic spiraling into your food. The eventual warning is a burning smell that you will assume is coming from the blender housing - not the pitcher. Upon close investigation, and small hard things in something that is supposed to be a smooth smoothie, you will find that the plastic piece that is holding the plastic inside the pitcher has gone south and is breaking down inside your food. Of course, now I believe that this has been going on ever since the blades stopped turning as rapidly, but the plastic shards were too small to notice. Perhaps the company could have a better design, but that would cut down on profits. Besides, a little plastic may do us and our children some good.

Ministerlou
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2011
Color Name: Black - FourSide Jar
Here's a video comparison review of the BlendTec vs models across 2 other price ranges from you tube:

watch?v=SYGwhX8JlzU

The BlendTec uses metal couplings for both the base and the jar. It uses a 2 blade design that's dull on one side and slightly sharp on the other. Its sharpness is somewhere between a paring knife and a butter knife. It uses a polycarbonate jar, the same jar used at Jamba Juice and Starbuck's. Starbuck's uses this same model. The jar and blade assembly is a sealed design that cannot be taken apart for cleaning. So, you just use warm water and a drop of dishwasher soap for cleaning.

UPDATE:

I tried making peanut butter with my brand new BlendTec and everything was going great, so I thought. When I finished blending the peanut, I opened the jar to scoop it out. Then, I noticed black bits my nut butter. I wondered if it was burnt peanuts because the process does get kind of hot. After closing inspection, I realized that those black bits were pieces of the rubber o-ring! I ended up having to throw away all the beautiful nut butter I'd just made. When I examined the jar, I could see the rubber o-ring under the blade, slipped up and out of position. This made me realize a MAJOR FLAW with the jar design. It has metal parts in frictional contact with rubber o-rings. When the blade spins lightning fast, this introduces the very real possibility of the metal creating microscopic rubber "dust" and/or bits from grinding of the metal axle of the blade with the black rubber o-rings that are supposed to keep the jar from leaking.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 15, 2011
Color Name: Black - FourSide Jar
Within a short amount of time the Blendtec all of a sudden became super, super loud! I'm not kidding when I say it was as loud as a lawn mower! We have a hunting dog who's used to loud noise and it doesn't bother him. However, turn this thing on and he runs away scared. If you stand in front of it (or within 30 feet) you'd literally have to use ear plugs, and family members would roll their eyes and walk away using their fingers to plug their ears.

Meanwhile, the black plastic seal below the blade would fall apart - shredding and melt with use. Yes I said melt (due to the high velocity blades) this plastic turned to liquid and would cover the bottom of the container and top of the base. It was hard to clean too, you couldn't just rinse or even scrub it all off! Very nasty and we wondered if any of it was getting into our smoothies.

Also, it came with a recipe book so we tried one of the soups. It tasted very nasty, did they even test these recipes?

Bottom line: I had a Vitamix which gave me 10 years of good service so am going back to that brand. The good news is that we bought the Blendtec at Costco which came with a 7 year warranty. We returned it without the original box and with the melted black plastic stuck on it and they gave us a full cash refund no questions asked. Buyer beware.
on August 14, 2010
Color Name: Black - FourSide Jar
My wife and I are both 47 years old and have owned our fair share of blenders. After the motor died on our Oster last year, we splurged for Christmas and bought a BlendTec TB-621-20 with 48-ounce and 64-ounce polycarbonate pitchers. Paid $375 for the set, which we thought was a great deal. We had already done quite a bit of online consumer research and watched a VitaMix live demo before buying the BlendTec. 8 months and quite a bit of frustration later, we are very badly disappointed with this product. Even performing a simple task like making a pitcher of frozen margaritas is a dreadful, laborious experience. We put in a 10-oz can of Bacardi frozen margarita mix, 10 ounces of Patron, 2 ounces of Cointreau and 2 ounces of Gran Marnier...top off the pitcher with fresh ice cubes...press "Smoothie or Milkshake"...blades spin for about 7 seconds, then the unit shuts itself off with an error code of "Overload" or "Overheat". Need to wait a minimum of 10 - 15 minutes before unit resets itself...meanwhile, margarita mix and ice continue to melt...try it again...sometimes it successfully blends, and sometimes it errors out again. Same problem when trying to blend chocolate ice cream and milk together for a milkshake. Guaranteed, BlendTec TB-621-20 will shut itself down at least once with every attempt. I may burn out a $50 Oster every 12 - 18 months, but at least those damn things don't quit on me in the middle of every single frozen drink task. Oh, and don't even get me started on the polycarbonate containers...they sure do look pretty when you take them out of the box but, 8 months later after using them 2 or 3 times a week, they have a glazed/frosted appearance throughout the interior surface. Have never even once put them in the dishwasher, always hand-washed them. I guess blending ice is just a tough job for this poor excuse of a very expensive blender. Forget getting any help from BlendTec Customer Service, either...almost impossible to get a real person on the phone and, on the 3 occasions I did manage to talk with one, they were completely unhelpful. They all chanted the exact same mantra..."you're using it wrong, you're doing it incorrectly, you're the only person on the entire Earth who has ever complained about our blender..." At no point do they offer or agree to replace it or refund your money. It's the worst kitchenware purchasing decision we've ever made.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2011
Color Name: Black - FourSide Jar
Someone named Laura wrote a review saying her Blendtec quit after 10 smoothies, and that she guessed this was a fluke. Well, you're not the only one. I spent £497 on a Blendtec Total Blender Extreme with one of the Wildside BPA free jugs from a UK distributor. 10 days, 10 smoothies, the motor died dramatically with a spark, smoke and tripped the breaker, turning off every outlet in the house! That's right folks, £49.70 per smoothie! And to think I bought the thing to save on the smoothies I was buying!

Now I'm dealing with the whole headache of trying to get them to fix or replace it. I bought the blender in part because of all the youtube videos singing it's praises, but if you notice, Robyn O when she's comparing the Blendtec and Vitamix says that "if you have a problem, Vitamix will fix your blender no questions asked." She doesn't say the same about Blendtec, and there is a very god reason for this omission!

On the blender's performance, the whole idea behind the green smoothie is that you can get some greens into your diet without noticing them in your fruit smoothie. For me, on the higher powered of the 2 smoothie settings, I made a few green smoothies with a relatively minimal amount of kale (less than 1/6 of the smoothie), and I definitely noted the chunks of kale still in it. I honestly think you could and should do better.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 9, 2013
Color Name: Black - FourSide Jar
Great blenders ... until the jar breaks. Jar sales are probably a pretty brisk recurring income for the manufacturer. Have a 25 year old VitaMix with original metal canister with spigot and it keeps going and going (Kids use it at their house)... NO EXCUSE that a Blendtec jar cannot do the same at this price point. In 8 years we are on the fourth jar (with average 4 times a week use). After the first fail Blendtec said we did not care for it properly. Second one we kept out of the dishwasher, rinsed and dried by hand immediately to keep moisture from soaking into the blade bushing and were generally up tight about caring for the jar, NO DIFFERENCE, it died at 30 months. Going back to Vitamix. This is going on ebay.
on July 21, 2013
Color Name: Black - FourSide Jar
I have never written a product review on Amazon before, but I really feel compelled to help future purchasers of this blender out and give them some prior information. Everybody considering a Blendtec knows that it is an investment and they want to be sure their large investment will work properly and last. Since I know it is really hard to compare other people's experience to your own expectations, given how differently we view things, I will try hard to just cover the facts. To start with, I did not purchase my Blendtec at Amazon. However, Amazon was a wealth of information for me from past purchasers and I am writing my review here to add to that pool. If you are set on purchasing a Blendtec, you should go down to the nearest Bed, Bath and Beyond and order it in-store using a 20% off coupon. You simply ask for free shipping because you are unwilling to pay the $30 and they authorize a "customer accommodation" no problem. The coupon will save you $80 off the $400 price tag. I also went on ebay and purchased store credit receipts for around 15-25% off the face value. If you are like me and the $400 price tag just isn't reasonable, I ended up paying $280 out of pocket by using the above mentioned discounts.

Before you purchase the blender you really need to identify what you will be using this blender for. Like the old adage goes, "A jack-of-all-trades is an expert of none". I decided to buy a new blender initially because I am making very big dietary changes that are setting me on a course for primarily raw foods and green smoothies. This blender claims that it can make sauces, dips, dressings, nut butters, green smoothies, soups and more. This is exactly what I needed and naively I thought I could evade buying a food processor if I purchased a more expensive blender that could do it all. I lack a lot of cupboard and counter room, so consolidating is always attractive to me. This unit is very small in comparison and will fit in any cupboard or nicely on small counters. However, this blender cannot do it all. It works adequately if you are making smoothies and some whole food juices, but not much else. The blender needs a lot of liquid to create the vortex effect and the square jar is not intuitive because it impedes the flow of contents in the circular vortex. Even in green smoothies with plenty of liquid I saw this problem. When the fresh lettuce, kale or blueberry approached the corner it got stuck on the wall and never made it around. The softer the green like spinach or red leaf lettuce, the better the result. If you only use spinach you will have no problems. When the fruit was frozen I did not have any problem either. The dull blade construction is very poor at emulsifying food. The blades are very very dull. I made a raw "cheesy" red bell pepper coating with soaked cashews to put on kale chips. When the dip came out the entire skin of the pepper was scattered throughout in big strips of skin. The blender could not process the skin of tomato either in a whole foods V8 juice. The thin skins of blueberries created a problem for the blender as well. Cavitating (blades spinning in a pocket of air) was by far the biggest problem I experienced. Even with adding more liquid then I should have, I would have to turn the unit off 5-10 times to scrape and reposition ingredients to make a dressing or dip. The manufacturer recommends that you buy separate jars for dry and wet goods if you intend to process nuts or grains a lot as pitting and scratches are inevitable. I only processed soaked and softened nuts three times and coffee beans once in the 5 days I had the blender. By day 4 I noticed a ring of fogged discoloration blade high on the jar and hairline scratches. The plastic jar is very cheaply built and hurt easily. The blender lid is a combination of a black suction cup like lid with a hole in the middle and a plastic cup with four prongs that sits inside the hole. Food contents are flung up to the top of jar when blending and easily exit through the plastic top. Food gets trapped there between the plastic cup and the black suction piece.

If you are considering this blender please keep in mind the following pros and cons. The pros are mainly the 7 year warranty, the very powerful 1500 watt motor, the all digital sleek design and the small construction which makes it the right size for any kitchen. The settings actually process food according to the food density and do adjust mid-setting if it feels a change in texture or density.

The cons are the following: Dull blades cannot cut through thin skins of fruits or vegetables, square jar and flat bottom traps outer contents on the jar wall, cavitating during food processing occurs without lots of help from liquids and scraping, I attempted ground coffee once and it did no better of a job then my $9 coffee grinder, tough greens do not get processed all the way, jar is damaged easily with normal use (again I had mine 4 days and damage already occurred) and lastly the price tag does not reflect quality it reflects hype. I fell into the trap of thinking I needed the really powerful motor to process heavy ingredients like nuts and ice without over heating the unit. Initially I was going to purchase the Breville 800BLXL with a 1000 watt motor and the most innovative and complementary design in jar and blade construction on the market. The lower grade 750 watt model actually out performed the Blendtec in videos I watched done by real scientists. I bought this blender instead for the warranty and the motor. I ended up with a blender that could not produce any of the dishes I bought it for. Don't fall for the hype. I returned my Blendtec and bought the above mentioned Breville blender and will review that one as well once I test it out. Purchase a blender with a circular jar, at least four blades that extend as far out to the side of the jar as possible to create a no dead-zone (a large dead-zone is a very big problem for the Blendtec) and enough power to blend. The first time I used this blender I blew the GFI circut in my kitchen outlet! You really don't need that much power. I hope this was helpful.
on January 30, 2013
Color Name: Black - FourSide JarVerified Purchase
SEE WARNING AT END OF REVIEW ABOUT WASHING JARS WITH SOAPY WATER!

651 uses, now dead. Jar wore out at about 500 uses. The square jar sucks, don't buy any unit that doesn't come with the wildside jar.

Frankly, with these jars wearing out so fast and at these prices, Blendtec should offer a lifetime warranty on the machine just to get us to keep buying jars.

UPDATE 3/7/2013 (See below about the jars):

I ponied up another $450 to buy a new designer series with a 7-year warranty. Didn't want to bother with Costco, which offers 8 years!

The new one is slick, with a very nice control panel. I got it with the big jar, and I noticed with the small jar it makes 3 times the noise! Seriously, do not buy with the small jar!

I use this thing many times a day, and I though that the jar had gone out already after just a few months. I called Blendtec and they sent a new one. Turns out that the jar is fine, it was just a little water dripping on the machine and getting sucked in under the jar due to the high speed.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE JARS: Be sure to clean the jar with soapy water at high-speed blend for maximum life. According to the Blendtec engineer I spoke with, sugars can speed deterioration of the rubber seal. See below for more update info.

The bottom line? Don't get this version, buy the Designer series. For $50 bucks it is worth it. Take care of your jar correctly, and then it is a good deal if you use it a lot.

UPDATE AGAIN April 7, 2013:
The run count on the new blender is already almost 600. That is because I use it a lot and I wash it every time. However, I do not use soapy water every time, and now I never fill it more than 1/3 with soapy water.

SOAPY WATER WARNING: Never fill more than 1/3 with soapy water! The lid blew off and sent soapy water into my cups full of smoothie, and drowned many cardboard packages on the counter top, and finally soaked the wall behind the counter. Although they redesigned the lid to have a large opening to prevent blow-ups, soapy water can produce so many bubbles that they can't get through the opening fast enough! This blended soapy water is great for washing dishes, by the way. It looks like high-quality Italian frothed milked, ready to make a top-flight cappuccino!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2010

Here are the symptoms:
* Sharp grinding noise at the beginning right before the blades really spin.

3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations