4.0 out of 5 stars Vitamix vs Blendtec
I have owned a Vitamix for over 2 years. My daughter has owned a Blendtec for the same period of time. We call this "Blender wars", as we both love our blenders. But here are the differences we see between the two.

Published on July 23, 2011 by S. Smith

1,686 of 1,789 people found the following review helpful
Please read update below; it is a game-changer:

Published on July 7, 2012 by Carey Hasegawa

4.0 out of 5 stars Vitamix vs Blendtec, July 23, 2011
This review is from: Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black (Kitchen)

1. Warranty. The Vitamix definitely has the better warranty. We purchased ours at Costco, so this is a non-issue. Costco will honor any purchase, regardless of warranty.
2. Horsepower. The Blendtec has a 3 hp motor, the Vitamix a 2hp. But we don't see any difference whatsoever in the blended results. Vitamix told me they achieve a similar result due to the design & movement of the blades.
3. Tamper. The Blendtec's 3 hp will usually blend everything without any pushing. The Vitamix requires use of the tamper if you blend things like frozen fruits, apples, etc. This requires you to stand there for about 30 seconds longer, or less, to use the tamper.
4. Lid. The Vitamix has the better lid. It never pops off, as the Blendtec lid will if not held down at first. And the Vitamix lid has a large hole, where the tamper fits through, or a cap fits in securely, where you can add ingredients without removing the lid. The Blendtec has a tiny hole for ventilation, through which liquids squirt upward.
5. Container. The Blendtec has the better container. It has flat sides, which are easy to clean of the finished drink, or thick nut butters, etc. The Vitamix container has an uneven surface, which is hard to get finished products entirely off of.
6. Cleaning. Both Vitamix & Blendtec clean easily. Add water & detergent, blend for a few seconds, rinse.
7. Noise. Both are very loud. Very. I put mine on a rubber mat to reduce the noise.
8. The Vitamix looks more sturdy, more expensive. It's a little heavier, which makes the Blendtec preferred for travel.
9. The Vitamix controls are variable. The Blendtec has programmable buttons. If I need a smoothie to run for 2 minutes, I have to look at the clock, or set my timer on the microwave. My daughter can just push a button, and know how many seconds it will run, then stop.
10. Owner's manual. We agree hands down that the Vitamix has the better manual. 3 ring binder, tabs for categories, extra books for grains, etc, with holes already punched. The Blendtec manual is pathetic. You need a good book while getting acquainted with your blender.
11. The Vitamix is taller than the Blendtec. I put my base on the countertop, the container on the fridge. My daughter can put her entire unit on the countertop.
12. Vitamix recipes really deliver great results. I like to eat healthier, so I easily modify them. My daughter has taken tips from the Vitamix manual. The Vitamix has been around for decades, so they already know how to get the best results from their blender. The Blendtec really needs to work on their recipes.
13. Flour. I had to buy a second "dry" container($100) to blend my flours with the Vitamix. The Blendtec will blend flours in the original container. My daughter has to plan to blend flour first thing in the morning, when her container is dry.

Both my daughter and I have used our blenders at least once a day, sometimes several times a day, for over 2 years. We can't imagine being without them. We make our own flours, soups, smoothies, nut butters, seed milks, you name it. She made her own coconut wraps last night, using real coconut blended with other ingredients, then layered the mush onto parchment paper, dehydrated for 4 hours, and made samosas with plum chutney. The wraps took her minutes to prepare, using the Blendtec and dehydrator, not counting the 4 hours wait time. Salsas and chutneys take seconds. If we use frozen fruits for our ice creams, blending for about 20 seconds, we don't need to use an ice cream maker afterward. Puddings are a dream. No standing over a hot stove, stirring. I use raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds for the milk, flax meal for the egg substitute, cacao nibs for the chocolate. No one knows the difference, except that mine is the best pudding in town.

I like good appliances, that make eating healthy really easy and fast. Whether you choose a Vitamix or a Blendtec, you can eat healthier at home, without having to work hard at it when you are tired after work. No more fast food restaurants! I'm finishing the last of my smoothie(spinach, apple, cucumber, ginger, mint leaves, bee pollen). Yum. Maybe a lentil curry soup for dinner. I already made my bread(homemade whole wheat & rye flours).

You have to USE YOUR BLENDER! A friend purchased the Blendtec 7 months ago, and hasn't touched it. This may be due to lack of a good owner's manual. The Vitamix manual is available through Amazon, called Whole Food Recipes for Better Living. This has really good tasting recipes to get you started, but may not be the healthiest. It really shows you how to use the blender, after which you can easily modify the recipes. I also like Going Raw, Everything you need...

1,470 of 1,530 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Blendtec vs. Vita-Mix dilemma, April 7, 2009
This review is from: Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black (Kitchen)
I must give you a little bit of history before reviewing the Blendtec . . .
Our local Costco was having a Vita-Mix road show and i bought it knowing that I really liked everything I had ever read about a Blendtec. A couple of my friends raved about the Vita-Mix, so I felt I needed to pay a little attention. A large purchase like this deserved a little research so that I wouldn't have any regrets. I watched the demo, was impressed and took home the Vita-Mix that day. I was anxious to make a smoothie with it because I had been using the Magic Bullet for five months. I made my first smoothie with it, and it turned out great but the "honeymon" didn't last very long. I did not like the sheer size of the Vita-Mix! It sat VERY high on my counter, wouldn't fit under the cabinet and it looked like it belonged in a commercial-sized kitchen, not mine. I absolutely disliked everything about the lid, except the ability to drizzle liquids in from the opening. The lid was not easy to put on nor remove. And the tamper!!! A good machine should not require a tamper to push the food around. The blender canister has these decorative grooves on the sides and oh what difficulty to "get every last bit out" with a a rubber scraper. I felt like I was wasting food! Then, I made a vegetable pate and the 4-pronged blade made it extremely difficult to get the food hiding below the blade. By this time, I had had enough and was only too happy to take it back to Costco.

That same night, I ordered my Blendtec. It arrived promptly and have LOVED everything about it since Day One! It is so-o-o-o easy to "get every last bit out" because the sides of the blender doesn't have the unnecessary decorative grooves on the side. It makes a big difference if you're the type that doesn't like to waste. I feel that the Vita-Mix and Blendtec are equally noisy, but it does its job so quickly and efficiently that it really isn't on for very long. It is so efficient and powerful that it doesn't need a silly tamper to get everything blended well. It fits under my cabinet where I like to keep it and it is just perfect in every way. I make whole fruit and/or leafy green smoothies, sometimes twice a day, and it's always smooth and perfectly blended. As long as you add the proper amount of liquid, that "vortex" forms and everything gets pulled downwards. Everything i make just comes out absolutely perfect. I just can't say enough good things about this machine.

1,686 of 1,789 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars In the long run it is many times more expensive than the vitamix??do the math, July 7, 2012
Please read update below; it is a game-changer:

My honeymoon ended with this blender after 2 years, which up to this point my review would have been as glowing as the other 5 star reveiws. My suggestion is not to believe any review from someone who has not owned and used this mixer everyday for 2 years (which I have done). Bottom line: in 12 years this will cost you $300 more than the price you are paying. Here is why...

FACT: the seals will go on the blender top in 2 years if you use it daily. Do not believe that this is the exception (in my reading of reviews, i often ignore the 1 star reviews thinking they are manufacturer flukes). THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Google it, read the reviews here and you will discover that there is a designflawOMNI V Blender 3 HP Heavy Duty Professional, Multi-Speed, Timer, 6 Knives Blade in the jar in the bottom seal which requires the jar to be replaced regularly. K-tel knows about the problem, and rather than paying for the huge expense of creating a new tooling machine to produce a new seal/blade, they extended the jar warranty from two years to three (which is not really addressing the problem, as it means you have to replace the $100 jar less frequently.

I first started noticing the seal going as a black fluid started leaking from the bottom of the jar (i wondered, what is that???). Later, the seal itself started coming out in the jar (GROSS, i do not know how long i was drinking this fine black dust).I googled the problem, and saw that the jar has a design flaw, and this was not just aan occasional bad jar).

I believe that the reason that these amazon reviews are not littered with one star reviews for this blender is that most people do not use their blenders once or twice a day for two years (as we did). If you are an occasional user, the 3 year warranty could last a long time, but in time you will find out...and be ready to start pulling out $100 every 3 years.

Note: I gave it two stars rather than one, as for the two years I had it, I loved it. Now my pocketbook wishes I had gotten the comparable (and in the long run a fraction of the cost) Vitamix.

I have selfishly never done a review before(even though i read them all the time), but as a public service to everyone, take the time to pass this information on.

7-18-2013 Update:
My new wildside jar is around a year old. So far so good. Also worth noting is that this new jar does not get the use of my original, as now we only use it a few times a week. Also, the wider base and the larger blades do not put as much stress on the jar mechanics.

If you do not hear another update from me, you can know things are still okay with my new top; I may get lucky. Otherwise, I promise to will keep you posted.

11-9-2013
It was just brought to my attention that Amazon now sells another 3hp motor blender, the Omini V blender for more than $100 less than the Blendtec, If anyone personally has info on this, please post for me and others!

Update:12-23-2013
In one of the recent replies to my post, I was alerted that Blendtec now warranties the jars for 7 years (does not help me, but now makes my rating/review obsolete). Thanks Adam for the update.

Closing notes: If you do have a jar problem (i believe the basic problem in tooling has not changed), you pay the shipping for replacement and will be without a jar for a while, but this small expense and inconvenience, imho, is worth the risk of possibly getting a bad jar (which DOES happen)! I would recommend getting it with a Wildside jar, which seems to have less complaints than the regular jar. At a year and a half, I have not had any problems my Wildside. I cannot change the rating, but this now closes this jar issue (with my recommendation to buy only with a Wildside, and not regular jar).

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and High Quality, May 3, 2013
I've had this blender for almost a year, and have been very satisfied with everything about it.

First, the following is information that I put together as I was making my own purchase decision.

Amazon has this same product available, in different colors and with different combinations of blending containers, in a bunch of separate listings (and in both the "Home and Kitchen" sections as well as the "Appliances" section) and from different sellers (both Amazon itself, and third party vendors). This makes it difficult to sort out what is available on Amazon, and it also makes it very inconvenient to read through the reviewer comments since they are not all collected in one entry.

To help sort through all of this the following is what I found in doing my own research on this product:

- I believe that essentially there are basically two Blendtec models currently listed on Amazon differing only in the number of cycles that are preprogrammed:
--- One model is the "Total Blender" as designated by Blendtec. It comes packaged with either the "FourSide" blending jar, or the "WildSide" blending jar (see below for explanation of differences), or both.
--- Various colors are available (black, white, or red)
--- The blender has a 1560 watt / 3 peak HP motor
--- It comes with a 7 year warranty (the various Amazon entries have different warranty statements. My blender states 7 year warranty clearly on the box, and on the product registration card included with the blender).
--- The second model is the "Home" or HP3A model, which is not shown on the Blendtec website but is available on Amazon from various sellers. This model has the same base and motor and includes 25 preprogrammed cycles (see below for more detailed explanation).
--- I checked the Blendtec website as well, and they also offer a new "Designer Series" which has the same motor specs but a more sleek design and different controls, as well as a more expensive "Tom Dickson Extreme Blender" which is about twice the price and must be a monster as it has a 2400 watt motor and requires a special 20 amp circuit to be provided. I don't see either of those models being offered today on Amazon although that can always change of course.

- the two blending containers are:
--- "FourSide", which is square with a "nearly 3 inch" blade. It is marked on one side to 4 cups / 32 oz, and on the adjoining side to 1000 ml. The container is narrower at the bottom and widens significantly at the top.
--- "WildSide", which is 5-sided with a 4" blade. It is marked on one side to 36 oz, and on the adjoining side to 1000 ml, but these markings go only to about the halfway point on the container side and it will clearly hold significantly more volume than the FourSide container. The sides of the container continue straight from bottom to top and it is much wider in the lower 3/4 or so than the FourSide. The "5-side" designation comes from the corner just under the handle being flat rather than a pointed corner, so the 5 sides are not equal width. The reason for this design according to the Blendtec materials is that it will shift the center of blending to improve the blending for some types of recipes.
--- Both containers have the same opening size at the top and take the same lid, which is a heavy rubber lid with a square center opening that can be used to add material while blending, or can be closed using the plastic stopper provided
--- The two containers are the same height and will fit together nicely to save space, one inside the other
--- Both blending containers are very heavy plastic and very well made.
--- Bottom line is that both containers are reasonably big, with the "WildSide" container significantly larger than the "FourSide"

This blender is manufactured in the U.S. The included DVD provides a short sales type of presentation on the company including descriptions of the quality of the motor used in the blenders.

This is a nice looking blender on the countertop. It has a modern appearance and the touch pad controls and digital display are well done. (I admit that the white color of our unit would not be my first choice now that I have it in the house. I would prefer either black - which is available, or chrome - which is not). It is not unusually tall (like the Vitamix blender which is its main competitor) and fits nicely on the countertop in the kitchen. The display shows time remaining if a pre-programmed cycle is being used. It will also display the number of times you have operated the blender (similar to industrial equipment that records hours of usage) and is used to display unit status as well as overload or over-temperature conditions if they occur. The power cord is of modest length at 36" and is very heavy and has a nice velcro strap to keep it neat. The main on-off switch is on the back of the blender.

When you use the blender to prepare a fruit smoothie, you simply push the pre-programmed button and it works perfectly. The blender does jump a bit at times and I have noticed other reviewers mentioning that they would like the blender to be heavier in order to prevent such movement. In all of our uses of the blender to date it has worked faultlessly. The containers are particularly easy to clean after use.

- I have noticed that some Amazon entries for these blenders state "6 pre-programmed cycles", and some state "25 pre-programmed cycles". The unit on this page has 6 pre-programmed cycles. This difference initially caused me some confusion as I was researching the blender and trying to make my own purchase decision, and it is not clearly explained in the product information on Amazon. What I learned is this:
--- For the Total Blender model, there are 6 pre-programmed automatic cycles, for smoothies and other recipes. If you go to the Blendtec website you can view the owners manual for the blender and it has a nice illustration of each programmed cycle, showing how it speeds up and slows down over time for each program. (The smoothie program for example runs for 25 seconds and operates the blender at 8 different speeds for different periods during the full programmed cycle).
--- For the HP3A or Home unit, there is a menu of 25 programmed cycles that you can choose from, and there are four buttons (labeled 1-4) which can be programmed to use any of the 25 cycles so that whichever you use most frequently can be easily selected. Beyond these preprogrammed cycles, you can manually control the speed using the "up" and "down" buttons on the blender, and there are 10 available speed settings. Once the speed is set, it will stay at that speed for 50 seconds unless manually stopped. You can also manually "pulse" the blender and it will operate for as long as you hold down the pulse button.
--- Other than the programming difference and number of cycles programmed, there is no difference between the blenders - the base, motor size and power rating, and so forth are all identical.

There are a few entries on Amazon that for whatever reason have collected the greatest number of customer reviews, and there is a lot of good discussion available including various people who have owned both the Blendtec and the Vitamix blenders, so I recommend taking a look at the following entries on Amazon where these reviews can be located:

- Blendtec Home The Professional's Choice Total Blender is the same blender, white, with FourSide container, and as I write this it has 271 reviews posted.
- Blendtec WildSide HP3A Blender is the same blender, black, with WildSide container, 51 reviews currently posted
- Blendtec TB-631-20 Total Blender FourSide, Red is the same blender, red, with FourSide container, 51 reviews currently posted

My own conclusion after reading through many of the other reviews is that both the Blendtec and Vitamix blenders are very good and much more powerful and capable than the typical blender most people use. The Blendtec has the following advantages in my opinion:
--- Blendtec is shorter and will fit on the kitchen countertop without difficulty, whereas the Vitamix is quite tall and in some cases may not fit under your kitchen cabinets (note that since I initially wrote this review, Vitamix has addressed this issue by bringing out a new model with a shorter profile).
--- Blendtec has pre-programmed cycles and touchpad controls, as well as the ability to control speed manually. The basic Vitamix model (5200) is manually controlled only, while more expensive Vitamix models (6300, Professional) have some pre-programmed cycles as well.
--- Blendtec appearance is somewhat more modern and less industrial than the Vitamix

Finally, a couple of observations from my study of the reviewer comments on Amazon:

- some people are complaining that the lid leaks through the vent when blending, however more current reviewer comments are suggesting that the current product has a different lid which has solved this problem. My experience has been that this is not a problem and we have not had issues with the lid leaking.
- there are conflicting claims as to whether or not Starbucks and others use either Blendtec or Vitamix blenders. It seems clear that Starbucks has used both blender suppliers at one time or another. My conclusion from the reviewer comments is that Blendtec is currently used at Starbucks but I will check this myself and amend this review when I have done that

I had previously been seriously considering the Vitamix blender and have looked at them at local Williams-Sonoma stores. I was not even aware of the Blendtec when I was initially looking at the Vitamix but I was holding back in purchasing one due to the cost, the very industrial looking appearance, and the height issue. The Vitamix is also somewhat more expensive than the Blendtec. Once I became aware of the Blendtec, and I read through many of the other customer reviews, I was ready to purchase one. So far I am very satisfied with the purchase but there are many more recipes I look forward to trying with this blender and I hope that I am not disappointed.

By the way, Amazon can be quite amazing - they had my blender showing as "shipped" only 3 hours or so after I placed my order, and FedEx delivered it less than 48 hours later.

I've given this blender a 5-star rating partially based upon everything I've read about the unit, as well as our experience in using it for a short time. I would not have ordered it and spent so much money if I did not expect it to be an excellent machine - but we will see how it performs over time and I will update this as I have worthwhile information to add.

As a final comment, if you are considering this blender then I suggest that you keep an eye on Amazon's "Gold Box" daily specials. These Blendtec blenders often are offered for a very good discount from the normal Amazon price. That is how I purchased mine, and just the other day (7/31 or 8/1, can't remember exactly), I think they had two different Blendtec blenders on sale at different times (different colors, packaged with different containers).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, August 12, 2011
I had a vitamix for 20 years. It was truly a work horse. When it finally went out and I saw a demo at Costco, I decided to switch and get the blendtec, which I've had now for a little over six months.
What I like about the blendtec more: size, it really makes a difference that it fits under my cabinets, so I keep it out all the time and use it more often. Both machines make a perfect smoothie, even a green smoothie, which is what I mostly use the machine for. However, recently I've been making sorbets and ice treats, and the blendtec really struggles without any liquid. The blades freeze up and it makes a horrible sound; which is concerning. I agree with another viewer that it does need some sort of probe tool, to work solid ingredients. At some point, I will probably order the larger 96oz container, which I understand also incorporates ingredients much quicker/easier.
Costco gave an extra four year warranty to Blendtecs standard 3 - which makes it equal to the 7 years of Vitamix, which is nice. If you're undecided about the two, just know that Vitamix really is a tank, perhaps not as pretty sitting on the counter, but it would probably outlast a Blendtec. Both perform very well, so I think it comes down to the look and longevity.

Update: The Blendtec motor died one week after I began making frozen sorbets. Returned it to Costco and bought a new Vitamix 500 from Amazon. I guess the question of longevity has been answered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian's Best Friend, March 15, 2007
This review is from: Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black (Kitchen)
I purchased this blender after reading THE CHINA STUDY, EAT TO LIVE, and GREEN FOR LIFE (all Highly recommended and if you are buying this blender you'd be missing out if you didn't read these books, particularly GREEN FOR LIFE).

All three books really drive home the importance of eating Greens (Swiss Chard, Kale, etc.)on a daily basis. For me, this was a challenge. The only way I could tolerate kale was to slather it with olive oil or butter and salt and cook it, thereby destroying most of the benefits. Even then I ate it dutifully and without pleasure. Then I read GREEN FOR LIFE and got the idea to blend up raw greens with bananas and other fruit into nutrient dense green smoothies.

You need the high power blender for this sort of thing, other blenders can't handle it. Thank goodness the Blendtec was mentioned in reviews for GFL, or I would have never even known about it. I ordered it with fingers crossed. It was a lot of money to plunk down for a blender and I was a little scared I wouldn't be able to drink the green stuff.

Not only did the blender perform like a dream, it makes a killer green smoothie--no taste of kale! The cost of the blender is worth it for this reason alone. Now I can get my daily intake of greens without having to endure it. It's actually delicious and gives you a buzz of energy way better than coffee.

I'm telling you all this because I think that Blendtec has missed a major market demographic. The recipie book that comes with the blender can be discarded for this demographic. A lot of people need these blenders for a vegan or raw food and greens lifestyle and I think most of them end up with a Vita-mix because of the way they are marketed.

I have had a Vita Mix and can tell you this is Way better. One thing not mentioned in the specs is that the blendtec is only about 15 inches tall (unlike the Vitamix which is 20). That means it fits on your counter under your cabinets--very important for an appliance you might be using every day. Mine now occupies the space where the coffee pot used to be and I use it at least twice a day.

You can make nut butters, various flours, breads, soup....etc. It's so powerful I think the motor could fly a small plane.

You can walk away from this blender and it knows when to shut itself off, it is not as loud as the Vitamix even though it is more powerful, and the clean-up is a cinch. This is the single best appliance I've ever purchased. The only thing I wish it had is a retractable cord and better customer service.

If you are on the fence about this--buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A blender with a lawnmower motor?, May 29, 2008
KD (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black (Kitchen)
I am a smoothie person who drinks at least one smoothie a day. I got tired of spending ten minutes a day making smoothie with one of the cheap blenders, so I decided to buy a more high powered blender.

The Breville 550 was my first choice for its reasonable price/power and great looks. Unfortunately, my first smoothie was a disaster. I filled the smoothie 2/3 with fruits and ice, and I stood there pushing the smoothie button three consecutive times to no avail. Then I smelled something burning and figured it was the motor. After spending 10 minutes getting the thing to make smoothie, the result was no better than my old cheap Cuisinart blender. Apparently, 610 watts is just not enough if you want to make thick, smooth smoothie.

I promptly returned the Breville. I then went on a mission to research for a real blender. Apparently, when it comes down to power and industrial strength blenders, it comes down to either a Vita-Mix or a Blendtec. A Costco near me had a demo for Blendtec so I decided to buy one there to try out.

Wow! Now this is a blender! This thing sucked the fruits and ice down into its vortex amazingly well. With the "Whole Fruits" button, I had great smoothie in 50 seconds or less. I usually just hit the button and go the bathroom. By the time I get back, I got instant smoothie! I've tried the the ice crush button and this mode literally makes snow; not just crushed ice, but snow!

There is a con though. Without a tamper, sometimes the fruits do get stuck and doesn't go down. When that happens, I take the jar out and shakes it a couple times and blend again. It works every time. It's an extra step, but it sure beats standing there and holding a tamper to push the fruits down for entire blending time. Many reviewers here claim that they wished they had a tamper, but I think it may be due to their preference and how they've always done it with their Vita-mix. It isn't wrong, but there are more than one way to skin a cat, and for me, shaking it is much easier than using a tamper.

It's also very easy to clean. Instead of disassembling the jar like the Breville and other blenders in its class, I just put a dash of detergent, fill it 1/3 with water, and pulse it for 5 secs. I then wash it out further with water, no dishwasher needed.

Since I bought this at Costco, I got a full 7 year warranty. It's a lot of money, but since there are no alternatives at a cheaper price, it does make my decision easier. Considering the Breville blender probably would've smoked and blown within 6 months of the abuse I'd subject it to, a $400 blender that lasts a minimum of 7 years is not a bad deal. So far after a week of use, I've blended a total of 38 times (the LCD displays the # of uses on its front.). I think I may just keep it.

Pros: It blends virtually anything!
Lots of power. Doesn't smoke when it gets stuck.
Easy to clean.
It doesn't require you to stand there with a tamper.
Great warranty.
Makes amazing smoothies and margaritas and mixed drinks.

Cons: Occasionally requires a good shake to loosen things up.
Expensive.
Loud. (although with a 3HP motor, it's actually quiet compared
to my lawnmower. LOL)
Have to buy it at Costco for the 7 year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blender, but buy hearing protection to go with it!, February 6, 2007
GailK (Copiague, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black (Kitchen)
This is an awesome blender. It blends stuff like you've never seen before and I am really pleased with it. But holy cow is it LOUD!! The cat hates me. I got a pair of earmuffs from the shooting supply place to wear while using it. Maybe overkill, but I think that using it twice a day without them would result in hearing damage eventually. I wish they sold an enclosure for this one like they do for the commercial ones....I'd definitely buy one.

I bought this because I had a juicer and liked it. But I felt that tossing all that pulp and fiber had to be making me miss out on a lot of health benefits. And just trying to spoon some of it back into the juice doesn't work, it's gross. This blender blends whole fruits and vegetables wonderfully, I can still get the fiber and in a drinkable form.

After I bought this, I read a webpage where they talked about blending an avocado WITH the pit, and I tried it. It works, I ended up with an amazingly smooth mousse-like creamy pudding. Not something I'd do every day, but it was very interesting. I have been making kale banana blueberry smoothies for breakfast and it blends everything into one homogenous shake. No bits of leaves, chunks of stuff, etc. I'm enjoying it. I just wish it wasn't so loud.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent blender with many purposes, January 18, 2008
This review is from: Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black (Kitchen)
I have owned this blender for about a month. So far it has worked great. It is a great tool to have if you expect to blend stuff on a daily basis. The larger blades and powerful motor makes my Oyster beehive blender feel like a toy. It will blend things that conventional blenders would not even begin to blend. Baby food can be puree very well. Much better than with the food processor. This machine can basically replace a food processor, a juicer, and a grinder.

Things I like:
1. It blends just about anything do to the large blades and powerful 1500 watt motor. And it does it much faster than a conventional blender.
2. It's built in the USA and the parts seem to be good quality.
3. One push button operation allows you to blend w/o having to time it or supervise it.
4. lifetime warranty on coupling and blade.
5. It fits under standard counters.

Things I do not like:
1. The base has a cheap feel to it because of the plastic. For the price, I think it should have been metal.
2. Has lesser warranty than its competitor (Vita-Mix).
3. I expect an expensive tool like this to have better dampening to absorb noise and vibration.
4. The plastic container (polycarbonate) scratches easily when mixing grains, seeds, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will it Blend? You bet!, April 7, 2009
I got my Blendtec about two months ago, and I wanted to wait until it got through one hundred cycles before I posted my review, just to make sure the 'honeymoon' stage was over. For those that are not familiar with the blender, the LCD screen on the base keeps track of how many cycles it has been through. A cycle is basically pushing any button on the blender except pulse.

Initial Impressions:
I quickly figured out that the blades on the Blendtec work slightly different than the blenders I was accustomed with. The blade doesn't really have an 'upward' angle to it, so if what you're blending will not fall to the bottom of the jar, it will not be blended. The best example I can think of is an orange: previous blender's blades would pull it down into the blades and then keep chipping away at it, but on the Blendtec it would just balance between the center bolt on the blade and the jar wall. But boy, when that fruit was sliced and did get into the blade, there was little left of it. Previous blenders had left me accustomed to fine chunks of whatever I was blending, but the Blendtec could turn a whole unpeeled orange into what looked like orange syrup.

I have seen several reviews cite the Blendtec as being excessively loud, but I did not really think that. It IS loud compared to a $12 Durabrand 200 watt blender, but it is not much louder than a higher end (~$60) consumer blender. And the preprogrammed cycles mean you can just start a cycle (around 40 seconds) and walk away.

While Racking Up the Cycles:
I have primarily used the blender about once a day in an effort to help me work some fruits and veggies in my diet. I have also used it a few times for things like pancake batter and iced drinks. I'm still amazed at how this machine can liquefy a leaf of lettuce or kale. I had tried a few times with other blenders to blend up greens but was usually turned off at how chunky the end result was.

One thing I really grew to like was the preprogrammed buttons on the base. After pushing a button, the LCD will start a countdown timer and you can hear the blender running at different speeds to make sure everything in the jar is getting into the blades. This works pretty good 95%+ of the time, but when it doesn't the one piece lid does not allow you to prod the offending piece of matter into the blades. Sometimes I wonder if Blendtec should have integrated a tamper like Vitamix, but for few times it would be needed it would probably just be more of a hassle than a help. If larger things like apples, oranges, and lettuce leafs are diced or chopped before blending it is much less of a problem.

Cleaning the Blendtec is by far the easiest blender I have ever cleaned. Because the blades are integrated into the jar, it only has two pieces (jar and lid) compared to traditional blenders that have around six. For the most part after using the blender I just put water and a small amount of soap into the jar and pulse it a few times, rinse it out, and then set it out to dry. The base is also easy to clean since the buttons are not raised, just a quick swipe with a rag.

-Conclusions-
I give the Blendtec 4 stars because there are a few things that keep it from being perfect. While some of the "don't likes" were not mentioned in the main review, I still feel they are important enough to keep from mentioning.

What I liked:
-Preprogrammed cycles allowed me to just push and walk away (but still stay close, see below)
-The blender's ability to pulverize anything placed into it
-Super easy to clean
-Very few parts
-It is aesthetically pleasing enough that it doesn't seem out of place on a counter if it is left out

What I didn't like:
-Occasionally all items in the blender would fail to enter the blades, chopping with a knife ahead of time could usually prevent this... But part of me hates dicing food before putting it into a blender.
-After about 50 cycles when the blades were spinning down after a cycle it would squeak like an old car's engine. This would only last about a second or two, and I'm not sure if it is even a problem, the blender performance has been unaffected. I just hope it isn't a symptom of a bigger problem.
-Of the 100 cycles, once during a cycle the blender starting vibrating violently, causing the blender assembly to rotate on the counter. It then blew the lid off and propelled green liquid on to my upper cupboards and counter top. I am still unsure what caused this, as I was using the same ingredients and cycle I had in the past. I have since kept an extra eye on the blender and refrained from leaving the kitchen completely.

What I'm Indifferent About:
-Price: If you are reading this review, you already know how expensive the Blendtec is compared to other blenders. While I would not classify this product as a 'must have' kitchen appliance, I still think its performance is far superior to the traditional blender. I realize that this would not come without a price premium. This blender is not a deal, but I also do not feel like I was ripped off either.

Blendtec Total Blender, FourSide Jar, Black