5.0 out of 5 stars Tell it like it is, sister!
Published on November 15, 2000 by Lisa C Noecker

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Fluff
If you are looking for an easy read with some humor, this is the story for you. I had never read one of her books before and we picked it for book club, not knowing much about it. There were a couple of laugh out loud parts, but overall, not much to talk about.
Published on August 8, 2009 by M. Adasczik

5.0 out of 5 stars Tell it like it is, sister!, November 15, 2000
Lisa C Noecker (Wilmington, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Move over, Sweet Potato Queens and Ya-Ya Sisterhood. There's a new girl in town. Sister Celia tells it like it is. As a self-proclaimed Deddy's girl and former recipient of the Amish Friendship Bread Starterk, I can tell you that Misseriz Rivenbark's descriptions of redneck women ("the object of her desire, a stringy, tatooed, shirtless lser, lurched out of the sotre, grinning drunkenly") and Southern Bridal Mothers ("no more tenacious, single-minded and utterly obnoxious creature on this earth") are dead-on. Her penchant for explaining inexplicable Southernisms (womanless weddings, snow-induced bread-buying) makes this collection of wonderings an education in paperback. Not to worry, Ms. Rivenbark doesn't limit her eagle-eye observations solely to the South but touches on life as all god's chillren know it...above or below the Mason-Dison...by pondering many of society's most pressing issues: Where DID Lorena Bobbitt ever find a knife THAT sharp, for instance. It is truly a joy to enter Rivenbark's world with sports-crazed hubby (affectionately known as her favorite Martian), Tinky-Winky loving toddler Sophie, Hairdresser Branda and Snowball the indredible cat. Picking up the book is like finding a new girlfriend...only this time, you can hear from her only when and if you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mama Celia knows best!!, September 6, 2006
After reading and loving 'We're Just Like You Only Prettier', I couldn't wait to read this book. My local library just got the new re-print edition (finally!), and I was the first to check it out!

Mrs. Rivenbark is hilarious with all her southern advice! I couldn't stop laughing at all her horror stories, like making sure your child has the EXACT toy he needs in his happy meal, or else the poor woman at the window is gonna get an ear full...or how when your husband is sick, the world stops and the man needs a bell, but when YOU'RE sick you still have a house to clean and children to feed. And one of my favorites was her introduction to Victoria's Secret Wonder Bra!

If you're looking for a light, fun read, then definitely pick up one of Mrs. Rivenbark's books. They'll absolutely have you laughing-out-loud! I can't wait wait to read her newest book, 'Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like A Skank'! Hopefully my library will be a little more on-the-ball this time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Stuff Here, April 28, 2004
Chris Frost (Ingalls, IN United States) - See all my reviews
I was shocked to see only a handful of reviews of this book. Celia is a writer who deserves much more exposure for her witty brand of southern common-sense humor. Her writing is very down-to-earth and is garanteed to garner several full-belly laughs. With the success of other southern humorists such as Jeff Foxworthy, this book should be much more widely-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Share this book with women you love to laugh with!, June 1, 2001
Lori Leonard Britt (Hillsborough, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I have become a favorite girlfriend and sister buying tons of copies of this book for gifts. I worried at first that some of my Yankee friends (I am a former Yankee and also a card-carrying bra and panty club member - read the book to find out more!) would not catch the humor. Boy, was I wrong - they love it. Celia is a master at turning the quirkiness of life into the best laughs. She writes about all the stupid things we do in life that we are embarrassed to admit, and it is great to know we are all nuts!
I truly have not laughed this hard in years. Neither has my husband - I read him excerpts in bed and the tears of laughter begin. Don't miss this one! Write on Celia!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Northerners Guide to Southern Living, May 28, 2001
By A Customer
This book made me laugh- every page. Being from the north and having family in the south, I now am starting to get a better understanding of why I laugh at some of the things they do. I am looking to relocate to the South in a few years and will use this book as a sort of Bible. Celia is a truly gifted writer with a wit that never stops. I just finished the book and am reading chapters to all my friends(who by the way just look at me with tears runing down my face from all the laughter!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Y'all need to buy this one!!!, July 28, 2004
Never reviewed a book before, and I'm an avid Amazon customer and reader. But just had to let everyone know about this one. I bought it while on vacation recently, and the friend I went with picked it up to read a chapter at random. By the time she finished the third chapter, she was crying with laughter! The chapter was about brushing the cat's teeth, which when you think about it, is funny in itself. But Rivenbark's description takes it from merely funny to gut-wrenching hilarious! This book is truly one-of-a-kind. If you miss it, shame on you! You missed the best of its kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Funny Book!, July 12, 2004
By A Customer
I loved this book! It was the first one I've read by Celia Rivenbark. It took me one day to read it. I couldn't put it down. My favorite chapter? Revenge of the Amish Friendship Bread!!! I can't wait to read her other book!

5.0 out of 5 stars even had my husband laughing, September 11, 2004
T. C Gerlach "pootiboo" (Altoona, PA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The reviews on here are dead on. This book came into my hands just when I needed it, but who doesn't need a good laugh? I was laughing so hard I had tears. The true test came when my husband asked what in the world could be so funny. He actually asked me to read some parts to him, and before we knew it we were both laughing at entire chapters read out loud. An excellent book from someone who you are sure has hidden cameras in your house, how else could she know exactly what she's talking about is what's happened to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a keeper!, December 17, 2000
Lori J. Gray "Lori Gray" (Shoreview, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Even as a Yankee I appreciated this book. It was filled with more snort induced belly laughs than I care to admit to. "Bless your heart, Tramp" will not be heading to the church rummage sale anytime soon. This is one of those books that you keep in your nightstand whenever you need a good laugh. I look forward to reading much more by Mama Celia!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read For The Southern Transplant, March 23, 2009
In this book, Ms. Rivenbark dissects the social banter and behavior of the average southern population. It seems that Southerners are the ultimate put-down artists. A remark that seems complimentary and pleasant to the unitiated may well be considered an insult by the local folks. I can see that this would be a plus when confronted with the multitude of transplants that have moved south. This book is TOO funny, as well as informative.

Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments by Celia Rivenbark (Paperback - May 30, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01