Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Blessed Are the Cheesemakers
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 28, 2006
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers" was favorably compared to "Chocolat", one of my all time favorite books, as well to books by Maeve Binchy, an author whom I adore. Unfortunately, with high expectations like these, I couldn't help but be disappointed when this novel fell far short of both comparisons.

The story was disjointed, but the ideas were there and were excellent. Additionally, the beginnings of the characters were interesting, but they seemed to never become fully developed. I agree with the reviewer who felt this book was crying for an editor. I think that's an excellent point !

All of this said, it's a sweet book. I would not recommend it highly, but it's a nice, if not thought-provoking read. I had just hoped for "more", with such promise in plot, characters and locations.
on August 16, 2003
This book is a delightful tale of those who need emotional and physcial healing, and the wonderful dairy farm and its inhabitants (some of whom are quite kooky) who provide it. The characters in this book are wonderfully written. The descriptions of the cheeses make one's mouth water. At times during this book I found myself smiling, laughing, and, yes, even crying (sobbing to be honest). It is a fantastic story, very well written, and I highly, highly recommend it. Add another five stars if you love cheese!
on July 2, 2003
In County Cork, Ireland, Joseph "Corrie" Corrigan and Joseph "Fee" Feehan produce the internationally famous Coolarney Blue cheese. However as the two Josephs age, they worry about their company's future. So they decide to embark on successor planning.
Corrie has not seen his granddaughter Abbey in almost a quarter of a century. Currently, she feels abandoned by her womanizing preacher of a spouse spouting the word to natives on a Pacific Island. She knows she needs a change of scenery from her locale and more from her ripping her skin for some alleged sin husband.
On an Atlantic island named Manhattan, alcoholic Kit Stephens has lost his way since his wife and child died. Recently he also loses his stockbroker position. He needs a change of scenery to start over. Fate enters the mix and soon Abbey and Kit meet at the Coolarney cheese factory.
This cheesy romance is amusing due mostly to the geezers, the cows, and the cats serving as interesting secondary characters. Abbey and Kit seems like nice people, but both sing the blues until they meet each other and see in the other a second chance. Throw in the magic of Eire leading to the audience singing along to the Sound of Music.
Harriet Klausner
on February 14, 2007
I picked up this book from our local library (it was recommened by one of the staff members) and I just loved it. It was a fast, easy read and full of great characters. It reminded me of those fun, quirky UK movies like "Waking Ned Devine" and "Local Hero." This is a feel-good book...kind of a fluffier version of Sue Kids,"The Secret Lives of Bees" (which is a fabulous book). I definitely recommend this book if you are looking for a good escape.
on May 22, 2012
(3.5 stars) Three stories come together in an Irish dairy farm. Corrie and Fee are the elderly cheesemakers, who are desperate to find the next generation before it is too late. Their operation is a labor of love, with many quirks, including pregnant, vegetarian milkmaids who milk to the Sound of Music. Abbey is the granddaughter who was taken away from the farm by her mother, and after marrying at a young age, she lives on a Pacific Island with her husband who is obsessed with irrigation. When she finds out that he has been "irrigating" other pastures after he found out she cannot have children, she is horrified and leaves with a friend to return to the U.K. and find her family. The third part involves Kit, a stockbroker whose life has devolved after the death of his wife and unborn baby. His assistant sends him off to Ireland to dry out and get sober. Kit unwittingly is drawn into the contest for the cheesemaker position and meets Abbey. They must find out if they have the touch to make a cheese worthy of Corrie and Fee. The cheese has a life and power of its own in the story and lends a charming taste of magical realism to the tale. The story has lots of humor including a pregnant cat called Jesus and other delightful quirks.
on March 26, 2014
I only have one word for this: quirky. Quirky isn't bad, it's just...different. The characters will definitely grow on you, fondly, and there are chuckles galore--I loved the Pregnasaurs--but there was a little bit of silly unbelieveability about this. Still, I enjoyed the setting and the aura of the mystical. And of course, you will learn a TON about cheese-making, which, being a fan of cheese, I found fascinating.
on March 10, 2015
This book is just so much fun! It is quirky - very! - and playful. The characters are believable and the story wraps around itself delightfully, keeping me engaged to the very end. A definite re-reader!
on July 18, 2008
I'm party of a cooking group in which we read books, cook according to the theme and then have Literary Luncheons.

I probably would not have read this book otherwise, but since I did, I might as well review it.

It's a nice summer read - very palatable. The characters are quirky, and yet the plot is predictable. Some of the concepts are funny and cute, others are a bit tiresome.

I loved the idea of having pregnant teens milking cows while singing show tunes, so the cows would give the best possible milk. Meanwhile, the teens are harbored and taken care of during their pregnancy and after the birth.

Parts of the storyline were psychologically improbable, but I guess not all books can be all good.

It's about love and cheese - if you like either of these, read it.
on May 18, 2015
Started off a bit slowly, and was wondering why friends had recommended it. About 75 pages in it got very good. Enjoyed the characters, especially Corrie and Fee. They were not only running a dairy/cheese plant, but providing a safe haven for pregnant teens. Some good laughs, and some powerful episodes of heroism woven into the story.
on July 27, 2008
I have enjoyed the book and it's characters so much. In fact I am down to just a few pages...maybe 20 or so and I am only allowing myself to read one or two until one of her other books arrives in the mail.

This writer really knows how to create characters that make you smile the whole time you are reading about them. I really care about the people and will always wonder how they are doing. That is how real they seem to me.