5.0 out of 5 stars Bleuphoria is Red Hot
Published on July 19, 2011 by R. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Has an outer space feel to it 3 1/2 stars
Rahsaan Patterson is one of my favorite artists. Period. He's just different and his singing ability oozes out of him. He can sing in a high register or a low one, just as Prince can. His ad-libs are amazing and the lyrics are always on point. Additionally, he's a very good performer. His music is his own.

I was searching this site for music and was elated to...
Published on August 4, 2011 by Mikeisha Best

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleuphoria is Red Hot, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
Rahsaan really brought the goods on this new CD "Bleuphoria." Backed with guest appearances from heavy hitters like Faith Evans, Jody Watley, Lalah Hathaway, Tata Vega, Andre Crouch & The Andre Crouch Singers and Shanice Wilson. The 13 track CD begins with a funky cut called "I Only Have Eyes For You" - which is one of my favorites. Continuing with the uptempo mood includes "Ghost" which features Jody Watley, "Crazy (Baby)" featuring Faith Evans, the 1st single "Easier Said Than Done" and "Stay With You."

The CD slows down with "Miss You" and my favorite track "Goodbye." The harmonies and production will draw you in. This is one song, I had on repeat already. The groove starts to pick back up with the short title track "Bleuphoria" which almost serves as an interlude. "Mountain Top" picks it up a notch and kinda takes you to church with Andre Crouch, the Ander Crouch Singers and Tata Vega. This is another one of my favorites. I wouldn't say it was necessarily a gospel tune but the delivery is gospel drenched. The 2nd single "6 Am" which features Lalah Hathaway is another favorite of mine.

I enjoyed the entire CD with the exception of the track "God." It seemed like it was somewhat of an experiment with the autotune sound. That and the fact I wasn't really connecting with the lyrics. Overall, I felt this was a great CD and so far the best CD I've listened to this year. "Bleuphoria" is a breath of fresh air considering that R&B continues to get more watery every year. It's good to know you can count on artists like Rahsaan to truly represent.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MUSIC!, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
I am a HUGE fan of Rahsaan Patterson. This album is awesome. I have been listening to this cd non-stop ever since I bought it. I really hate that people do not know who this wonderful and talented artist is. This is real MUSIC, folks!
My favorites are:
Mountain Top
Insomnia
6 AM
Ghost
Stay With Me
Miss You
Crazy (Baby)

Thanks for this wonderful gift of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music from the MOUNTAIN TOP....., July 19, 2011
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
Rahsaan's Bleuphoria is a wonderful piece of nostalgia (80ish my favorite musical era) and a lyrical work of art. Songs about love making, love longing and love of self. The CD opens with a cover of "I only have eyes for you" and it only gets funkier from there. If you are a TRUE Rahsaan Patterson fan this one is for you and if you're not you will be by the last song. One last note.....the vocals are siiiiiiiiick (meaning the shiznit)! Pick it up today!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Bleuphoria": Rahsaan Patterson's New Journey Through Love, July 24, 2011
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
In my review of "Wines and Spirits," I stated that given the polarizing tendencies of the album I hoped that "Bleuphoria" would be even more polarizing. I said this because I felt that many of Rahsaan's fans were unfairly privileging the idea of "happiness" over "depression" to critique the album negatively. "Bleuphoria" is not a polarizing album. It is, rather, an invitation, of sorts, to those who didn't quite get into "Wines and Spirits" to re-listen to its excellence to fully appreciate the magnitude of this particular astounding piece. However, for those unconvinced of "Wines and Spirits'" artistic prowess, "Bleuphoria" stands on its own as another example of why Patterson continues to be at the forefront of progressive soul music.

"I Only Have Eyes For You"- I love a good cover & Rahsaan is definitely one of the masters of the cover. Many of us remember the brilliant "Diggin' Your Scene" from "Love in Stereo" and, most recently, his stirring rendition of Sade's "Love is Stronger Than Pride." Patterson takes Sinatra's "I Only Have Eyes For You" to the next galaxy. In an interview with Ernest Hardy, he says this of the track: "...sonically and aesthetically, "I Only Have Eyes for You," opens Bleuphoria because this album to me is much more galactic in sound, and for me the process [of making it] was quite transcendent. So I ended the last album with "Stars," and this one begins up there. It lives there." And since we begin "up there," Patterson asks us to ponder what type of love story is "Bleuphoria," when thinking about the emotional depths of the color blue on Earth from "up there?" Magical harmonies on this song.

"Ghost"- Love Jody Watley's spoken word. "And I'm done. I'm going home now. Where.are.my....keys?" Makes me smile everytime. We have landed. The funk properly starts here. Great party song.

"Crazy (Baby)"- Though a very different song from Sheila E's 1987 song "Koo Koo," they remind me of each other. Kind of Prince-esque. Maybe the severe head-nodding factors of both songs are similar. Faith Evans is the guest vocalist and she sounds wonderful. Rahsaan's low notes are ridiculous! First track I fell in love with.

"Easier Said Than Done"- the first single offering that Patterson served from "Bleuphoria." I only allowed myself to listen to it once before the release of the album because I wanted to see how it fit in with the rest of the album. I mentioned the Prince/Shelia E. vibe of "Crazy (Baby)" earlier but on this track, the 80's vibe, in general, are front and center here. Should I stay/Should I go? Light/Dark. Love/Hate. Pining/Acceptance. The ambivalence that love demands. Love the bass line throughout but this song does not command my attention like some of the others.

"Stay With Me"- This is the song that I've been putting on every morning since I've had the album. Gets my day started. This is straight ahead classic Rahsaan. Some may even say that this is "easy" Rahsaan: a negative. Regardless, I love this song. In the chorus he repeats: "I want you/I want you/I want you/To stay with me." The ambivalence on "Easier Said Than Done" is gone here: stay.

"Miss You"- Finger Snags. Keyboard. Heartfelt lyrics. Impeccable singing, especially at 2:39 onward. That closing low note. Beautiful song.

"Goodbye"-so many ways this song could be interpreted. Love, joy, friendship, growth, goodwill, strength, acceptance, peace, letting go....wonderfully universal. The multiple layers of sound we hear in this song speak to this idea as well.

"Bleuphoria"- The album's title track clocks in at 2:42. Is it a song...is it an interlude of sorts? Not quite sure how to categorize it. It's definitely (so much for uncertainty) a prelude for the next few tracks. Do I hear a little of Junior's "Mama Used To Say" in that bass line (beginning at 2:05)? "Pleasure is calling/heaven..." I like it.

"Mountain Top"- Very slight echoes of Susheela Raman's "Amba" combine with traditional gospel elements to create a Patterson sonic masterpiece. One of the themes of his last album "Wines and Spirits" was an investigation of the sacred/profane dichotomy. This song, taken with the two songs that follow, serve as a further investigation into this world. I cannot help but think of James Baldwin's brilliant novel "Go Tell It on the Mountain" when I hear this song. Very parallel in their artistic goals. "I sing all day from the mountain top/ I love always from the mountain top" he sings. This is one of his best ever--incredible song.

"Makin' Love" - on "Bleuphoria" he says that "pleasure is calling." Pleasure has arrived here. He sings:

make good love
sweet naked love
ooh make your lovin' on me
take my love
ooh make my love
and grace your lovin' on me

This speaks to the sacred/profane dichotomy I alluded to earlier. The calm (galactic) second movement of the song beginning at 2:24 contrasts with the furious articulation of desire that opens the song. The title becomes, literally, self-explanatory when thinking about this. Great song.

"6AM"- Rahsaan. Lalah. Magic. This is the second single from the album. A type of 80's minimalism. Should be being played everywhere on radio. The morning after.

"Insomnia"- In a romantic world, this song would have been the conceptual jumping off place for "Bleuphoria" for me. It reminds me of what I love most about Rahsaan's music. Being completely disrupted/overcome by love, inspiration, etc...(music is the most explicit theme here but it is very open to different interpretations). A rapture of sorts. Rahsaan does tension on a track like no other. I love this song so much. My favorite on the album. After the morning after.

"God"- for some reason Natalie Stewart's "Perfect" climbs into my head everytime that I hear this song. Not because they are similar: only because they both get at wholeness/infinity/God in a way that is truly expansive. After a few listens, I still don't really like the use of the vocoder on this track but in terms of the galactic sound Rahsaan was going for on this album, I understand the move. However, some people may be put off because of the vocoder's recent negative association with auto-tune. He also experiments with the vocoder on "I Only Have Eyes For You" (2:59) and "Mountaintop" (0:14-0:18): exact same experimental sound on both tracks. On a whole, I really like this song.

When Rahsaan's fans attempt to rank his albums, this is the one that is sure to complicate their ranking system. Artistic growth is routinely derided or embraced depending upon which side the respective fan finds herself/himself on. "Bleuphoria" is an album strapped with backpack and fatigues, soldiering ahead of the threat of creative entropy many artists face. This is a daring album. Love and danger are still present. However, transcendence, though not easy to obtain but worthy of the journey, is a new weapon.

Truly brilliant work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never ceases to amaze, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
I am truly feeling this CD. I love the rollercoaster of emotion mixed with the change in tempo from slow to fast. Rahsaan is getting better as the year goes by. He never ceases to amaze me with talent. And i just love his vocals and the vocal arrangements. Especially on the tracks "Ghost" and "Crazy (Baby)". I also love the way he is paying homage to the different era of music, particullay the 80's. Rah keep doing you and I will definitely continue to be a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Rahsaan, July 21, 2011
D-Place (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
It's a shame that most of the time you have to search long and hard on youtube to find good music. Rahsaan Patterson has always brought good music to the light. I've loved his music from the beginning and Bleuphoria is no exception! There's nothing on this CD that I do not enjoy. This cd will take me through many moods. Yes I can be moody but now I have theme music to go along with it. LOL

Seriously people should not sleep on this CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rahsaan delivers!, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
Rahsaan's Bluephoria brings it with excellent vocals, lyrics and beats. I've long been a fan Rahsaan and with the exception of Wine and Sprirts he gets plenty o play in my house and car. I turn as many folks on to his music as possible. Great use of auto-tune although he is not someone who need to use it. It's pure fun!

Favorites:
6am
God
Miss you
Ghost

But they are all winners. Not a skippable song in the the bag. Enjoy! Congrats Rahsaan

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Outstanding!, August 10, 2011
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
My oh my! I heard one cut on this cd on a local radio station (WHUR) in DC. I immediately rushed out to get it. There was only one copy left in the store according to the store's website. I frantically looked in the store and found it! I am so amazed with this young man's musical style and talent. He is Prince, Tonex and Raphael Siddiq all wrapped up in one. I hope he doesn't mind being compared to others but it is what it is! I am so sorry I missed him when he was here in my area but you better believe, it will not happen again! I know my neighbors are tired of hearing me play this CD and they probably know the lyrics by heart. I jam constantly to "6am", which happens to be my favorite cut. When I want to mellow out I listen to, "I Miss You" and "Good-bye". I love the funk and the gospel flavor that he has incorporated in this musical feast! Kuddos to another "young-man" that is and has made a mark in the music industry and in the lives of us who loves and appreciate the art of music! Thanks Rahsaan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleumeawayphoria., January 3, 2012
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
Really, I have all of Rahsaan's work, and while they range from liked to loved, his latest release just remind me of how talented this guy is, and that his music, while not the radio burner that it should be, makes a substantial foray into a craft that should require people to sit up, take notice and really listen. He's a reminder that not all R&B artists need some hip-hop/rap god to elevate their music, or overblown, over-synthesized tracks, or (shudder) autotune to create a great product. This, ladies & gentlemen, is great music. WAY TO GO, RAHSAAN!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great artist, May 28, 2014
This review is from: Bleuphoria (Audio CD)
I just became aware of Rahsaan Patterson, and I have to say I'm a huge fan!!! Love, love,love his music and vibe. If your looking for something fresh, yet mellow, this is one to check out. It appears he's been around for years. I've already purchased 3 of his CD's and will absolutely purchase more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bleuphoria
Bleuphoria by Rahsaan Patterson (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies