The Blind Boys of Alabama have spread the spirit and energy of pure soul gospel music for over 60 years, ever since the first version of the group formed at the Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind in 1939. Today, founding members Clarence Fountain, Jimmy Carter and George Scott joined by more recent arrivals Joey Williams, Ricky McKinnie, Bobby Butler, and Tracy Pierce are on a mission to expand the audience for traditional soul-gospel singing while incorporating contemporary songs and innovative arrangements into their hallowed style.
In December 2003, the band came to New York City to perform a special holiday concert at the famed Beacon Theater with Aaron Neville, John Medeski, Duke Robillard, Chrissie Hynde, Mavis Staples, Michael Franti (Spearhead), Robert Randolph (Sacred Steel player), and Charlie Musselwhite (Blues harmonica icon). This show aired on PBS in December 2004 as part of their pledge drive with the individual band members appearing in pledge breaks.
2. Run On
3. Go Tell It On The Mountain w/John Medeski
4. Little Drummer Boy w/Michael Franti
5. If I Had A Hammer w/Michael Franti, Charlie Musselwhite & Robert Randolph
6. Nobody's Fault But Mine w/Mavis Staples
7. Born In Bethlehem w/Mavis Staples & Duke Robillard
8. Joy To The World w/Aaron Neville
9. People Get Ready w/Aaron Neville
10. In The Bleak Midwinter w/Chrissie Hynde
11. Higher Ground w/Chrissie Hynde & Robert Randolph
12. Amazing Grace
13. Look Where He Brought Me From
14. Someone Watches Over Me
16. Down By The Riverside w/Ensemble