Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 27, 2011
I'm sure I speak for everyone out there when I say that we need more New Frontier novels.

Peter David's creation only seems to get better with each one and I'm interested in seeing where things are headed after this. Without giving anything away, Blind Man's Bluff seems more focused on character development than anything else, though it does clear the way of one major plot point and set up the next big issue to deal with.

What I enjoyed most was how David's typical, backhanded sarcasm that's normally the bread and butter of his characters wasn't quite as evident in this book (though I did laugh at the nod to CBS' How I Met Your Mother. Peter David's typical wry writing style handled the thoughts and emotions of the characters quite nicely. I'm looking forward to see what happens to Mueller in the future, along with Tonia Tobias (though I'm getting a McHenry vibe there)

I polished Blind Man's Bluff off in one sitting. It would have helped me tremendously if I'd re-read the previous New Frontier tale before launching into this one and that's one reason why I'd like to see these come out more frequently. That being said, I'm willing to wait for a quality read and Peter David certainly delivered that in Blind Man's Bluff.

Don't miss this one. If this latest New Frontier is any indication of what is to come, we have much to look forward too.
on April 28, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I enjoy all Peter David books, especially within the New Frontier title. It is filled with action and believable character drama throughout. It picks up right where "Treason" lets off, with a story that logically and possibly concludes the D'myuri storyline.

I enjoyed following the original characters who I've come to love and likewise appreciated the development of Seven and the Doctor. However, as much as I enjoyed the book, I don't hold the story in as high esteem as others because Calhoun is separated from his crew for most of the tale so you miss the interaction and creativity that comes from the whole crew working together. Still, the Excalibur dialog is thought-provoking and comical per David's quality story-telling style. One major point of disfavor for me was how poorly this book seemed to fit in with the rest of the 24th century Trek series, whose continuity and editorial controls I've come to enjoy. I don't know exactly where this story falls into the timeline but it does come after the Destiny trilogy when Jellico should no longer be an admiral and Seven is an extremely emotionally distraught state, if not in the Delta Quadrant with the doctor. Though these three characters were well written and contributed much to the story, I kept thinking they didn't belong there and wondered if the author was aware of the background development of Jellico, Seven, and the Doctor to this point in Trek literature.

Peter David has commented that he has no contract in hand for further installations of the New Frontier series. I hope this will change soon as this series always, ALWAYS, is of high quality. I have enjoyed every one of them, and Blind Man's Bluff is no exception. My heart broke with this story's ending and I was left with a lump in my throat needing to know what happens next to my hero. But in the event this turns out to be the final edition of New Frontier, the series would be well concluded with the final 4 words of this book which were a proper summary of both Blind Man's Bluff and the entirety of New Frontier.
on April 30, 2011
Out of all the ST serieses/serii that in novel form, the New Frontier one has been the most consistent in quality and the one I have usually looked forward to reading the most. This book was a good addition and was generally enjoyable to read. The plot should be known to you, if you have read the previous books- there is an alien race which aims to influence races to uplift them to Organian levels, and Morgan Primus is a super intelligent computer entity with the power to destroy the entire Federation, if she wanted to, which is a problem since she is acting crazier and crazier.

This novel deals definitively with both these issues, but the ending is one that is shattering for our hero MacKenzie.

There is a nice inclusion of Seven of Nine and The Doctor here too. The Doctor was quite good, and if this was a tv show, I can imagine the actor would have found this a "meaty role". Seven, however, turned out to be a tad too soft towards the end, and her style of speaking a bit inconsistent. Still, good to see both these characters.

I read from Matthias Russell's review that Peter David's contract has not been renewed. I hope it is renewed, as this series is one of the few which is enjoyable, consistent and good fun to read. I find the TNG novels and it's offshoots- DS9, Voyager, Typhon Pact, are all very hit and miss, (more often miss).

Should you read Blind Man's Bluff? If you have read the other books in this series, definitely yes!

If not- go and read the first book right now! You'll enjoy a quirky version of Star Trek.
on April 30, 2011
This is a good book.

Captain Calhoun has come a long way from the new captain we saw in the first New Frontier book. He's still much the same confident, take-charge man. But circumstances change and force him to change too. The book reminds me of the DS9 series - very dark, but not in a pointless way. Instead, the darkness is riveting, and it provides an interesting lens for us to view favorite characters, warts and all.

No spoilers in this review. Instead, a recommendation: read it.
on August 1, 2011
Being a huge New Frontier fan, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. After the previous novel, I was sure this one would be better. It isn't. The characters aren't as good, the plot is more or less rambling and Calhoun...well, more on that in a moment. Be prepared, every character in this book spouts off sarcastic comments to everything. I expected to read about Lt. Bill Engvall at any moment. Additionally, the book is loaded with direct quotes from Trek movies. I suppose at one time a little of this might have been clever, now it is just laziness. I guess that is what I feel I've just read, a lazy book. The plot is predictable and the characters barely distinguishable. A far cry from the extraordinary early novels in this series.

Now, as for Calhoun; he is basically Spiderman in this story. We are told over and over and over how his has sixth senses and how everything that happens to him would have killed an "ordinary" man. This is one of my favorite characters and it saddens me to see him turned into a comic strip. There was depth to the character in early novels but now he is just...a spider man.

Overall, if you like this series as much as I have then you'll want to read it...but don't get your hopes up. If you don't fall into this category, I would look for something a little bit less lazy.
on October 21, 2015
I absolutely LOVE Peter David's writing style of dramatic humor (a word I came up with). I began reading the New Frontier books when they first came out, not expecting much but he had me at the first paragraph and I've been a loyal fan ever since. I finally had to stop reading his books on the way home from work because of I had to muffle my snickering...the other passengers were giving me funny looks.

He combines a bit of sly humor in his writing style that makes you do a double-take and re-read what the character had said...and you laugh.
on August 30, 2015
Unfortunately although I was charged for this book and paid for it the only part of it I received was a page which looked as though it was probably the front cover, but I have not been able to access any of the text. Therefore I have not been able to either read it or review it.
on July 17, 2015
MORE MORE MORE!! I could read Peter David Star Trek books until I die and be happy as hell. This is the Star Trek I love, it's funny, dramatic, sci fi and no lens flares. Just kidding, but seriously, you need no sunglasses for these books. If you are looking for a Star Trek series that doesn't make you know the entirety of the Trek universe, read the New Frontier books and then read them again.
on March 1, 2014
I enjoy very much this New Frontier series, and I love the writings by Peter David. Thoroughly entertaining and witty characters and dialogue. I highly recommend this series, and this book, to anyone.
on May 8, 2011
I've kept up with New Frontier since the beginning. My only complaint is that in recent years it has been so long between books.

I got this book as soon as I could after it came out. I wasn't disappointed. If you are familiar with the series get this book. If you're not familiar with these books start at the beginning and read them all. It is a fun ride.