4.0 out of 5 stars High-quality alum block
Definitely better quality than what I can get at the international store up the street, this block doesn't have the big air pocket in the middle that you sometimes get with cheap alum blocks. That means that I should be able to use most of it, instead of discarding it when it gets so rough that it causes more irritation than it relieves.

All that in mind, be...
Published on February 26, 2010 by D. Butters

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay
I would have rated this better but its too small and no case for storage. The price was okay so I can't complain.
Published 18 months ago by Torris The Bull

4.0 out of 5 stars High-quality alum block, February 26, 2010

All that in mind, be aware that this is a pretty small block. The picture doesn't give you any reference, but it's maybe 2" tall. I guess I expected it to be about the size of a bar of soap, so it was a bit of a surprise. Not complaining, just want to get that information out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather Expensive, but High Quality and Effective, May 20, 2011
While this is a high quality product and while it works well, it is on the expensive side.

Pros:

* Works on Nicks and Cuts - This product works well on my face for the occasional (and sometimes not so occasional as when my toddler comes in and pokes me while I'm shaving) nicks and cuts and for soothing razor burn. I use a double-sided safety razor, but this would work equally well after shaving with any device. Small cuts cease bleeding rapidly after application and razor burn is soothed after gliding this block over the area.

* Natural product - this is simply a block of alum. For those who wish to keep their cosmetic and toiletry products as natural as possible, this is the way to go. No manufactured chemicals here!

* Unisex - A browse through some of the reviews of this and competing products leads me to believe that this is a product used mostly by wet-shaving men. Ladies: This will work just as well, just as soothingly, on any areas where you happen to shave and leave nicks, cuts, or irritation. As some areas are more sensitive than others, you will appreciate that this is a natural product that works very well with sensitive skin. (For those who are wondering, my wife has attested to me that the forementioned is true)

Cons:

* Value - While it does perform well, it has to be understood that this is, after all, just a block of alum, as any other. This is the same substance being sold under other brands, at wildly varying prices. It doesn't make sense, then, to pay for an antiseptic alum block when the very same thing can be had for a fraction of the cost under a less sexy label... discounting the benefit of snob-appeal, of course. Considering also that this really does come in a diminutive size, (approx. 2" X 1" X about 1" thick) I have to conclude that better value can be had elsewhere.

* Fragile - Not specific to this particular brand, alum blocks are exceedingly fragile if dropped on a hard surface. If dropped on the sink or a tile floor, this block WILL shatter, leaving you with many tiny pieces of alum that - while retaining their effectiveness against nicks and cuts - are especially difficult and impractical to use. If used with care and if the block is in one piece when you receive it (mine was not), it ought to last years. As with any alum block meant for use after shaving, or any similar crystal deoderant, take care not to drop it on a hard surface.

Other Thoughts:

I enjoy using this for cuts and nicks after shaving, but prefer witch hazel for a soothing, antiseptic aftershave treatment because I find it easier to splash my face rather than rubbing this block all over. That is partly due to the fact that I can't get a solid enough grip on the thing to keep it from slipping from my grasp and shattering into smaller bits.

If you are not a wet-shaving connoisseur, styptic pens from the drugstore stop bleeding nicks in their tracks for a fraction of the cost. If you are one who appreciates using the same natural, effective post-shave astringent as the ancients, go with this product or similar, less well known name brands or non-name brands. This particular product by Osma is priced fairly well; There are much more expensive name brand items, and there are a few, slightly lower priced products... all containing the exact same ingredient.

My rating is actually a composite, as follows: Effectiveness of the product/material: Five stars; Pricing of the product relative to alternatives: Three stars; Ease of use: Four stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Best price anywhere, November 2, 2010
I searched all over the internet for an Alum block - and this one is the best price. Store this on a soap-saver and it will last you years and years. We've used ours for a couple of months and it still looks brand new. This truly tones down razor burn and keeps skin from that ruddiness of shaving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Post-Shave Treatment, June 26, 2013
This review is from: Bloc Osma Alum Block, 2.65 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
This product is fantastic to use after a shave. You simply wet your face and rub the Alum where you shaved. This will cause any small nicks or cuts to clot and seal up. Unlike Stypic, you won't be left with chalk-like marks on your face. It stings a little bit, but I believe it has antibacterial properties which are helpful to keep away razor burn.

Let me walk you through my post-shave routine to give you an idea. First I rinse my face with water to remove any remaining lather. Second, I clean my face with Witch Hazel in order to reduce inflammation and to really clean the shaved area. Then I wet the Alum and apply it. Once my face is dry, I apply my aftershave and I am good to go. It seems like a bit of a hassle, but my face feels fresh and clean for the rest of the day.

This is a solid addition to any shave routine, and it will definitely help you reduce post-shave complications.

Worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than I expected..., November 5, 2011
The pictures here made me think this block of alum was about 3"x5"x1" - it isn't. Which is probably a good thing, because a block that large would be harder to use than the actual sized Bloc Osma; which is around 1"x1 1/2"x 1/2". This is a good size to slide around the angles of your face following a nice, close shave.

4.0 out of 5 stars HANDLE WITH CARE !, December 22, 2010
A quality alum block by its own for shaving nicks.
Be careful with any alum block for should they be
dropped, they shatter.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word of advice, March 10, 2014
Don't lick it
Wikipedia says it's sweet tasting
but for the love of god
please don't lick it
ugh
horrible

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great., April 30, 2013
T. Janz "TJ" (Harrisburg PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloc Osma Alum Block, 2.65 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
It does what it's made to do. I do wish it came with some sort of storage container like other Alum Blocks but thats no big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love My Alum Bar, March 24, 2013
I love my Alum Bar. It's great for razor bumps and small cuts. I highly recommend this product. I recommend this to all my friends looking to get into safety razors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my neck and face from a bloody mess, March 20, 2013
Ooops! the setting on my classic safety razor got changed some how and a nice cut starts the bloody face and sting. I grabed my Osma Alum Block, got it damp and went to saving my face from doom. I stopped the bleeding right away and the pain from the cut subided as well. Great product...good thing I had it when I needed it.

Bloc Osma Alum Block, 2.65 Ounce