Most helpful positive review
43 of 44 people found the following review helpful
No problems! Tip on how to find registration key-code included
on December 2, 2012
I've used H&R Block's tax software (formerly called TaxCut) every year since 1995. Several times when I saw a promotional deal I purchased both TaxCut and TurboTax to compare. I found that TurboTax did not do anything better than TaxCut while costing consistently more. In addition, I like the option of being able to file 5 free Federal e-files as I do taxes for other relatives who are less computer savvy.
If you encounter issues with display, such as not seeing selection boxes, check your screen resolution. Both Windows and Mac minimum requirement for the screen resolution is 1024 x 768 pixels or higher. At a lower resolution H&R Block software will have problem with display such as not properly displaying selection boxes. Screen resolution can be changed on your control panel by change PC's display settings.
I just finished a preliminary tax return and below are my observations. Note: the forms are not final until January 10, 2013.
1. H&R Block software comes in three packages Basic, Deluxe and Premium. The software consists of three module the Basic module is shared by all three packages, the Basic and Deluxe package unlocks a new module which is shared by Deluxe and Premium, and finally Premium unlocks another module unique to it.
What is the difference between Basic and Deluxe? Deluxe provides guidance with taxes on investments (interest, capital gains, stock options, and dividends), home sales, and retirement income which Basic does not. Deluxe helps with mortgage interest deductions and real estate taxes. It has a DeductionsPro module which helps valuating non-cash charitable deductions.
I am a including a photo (under customer photos) of a table which shows what is included in each package of H&R At Home (Basic vs Deluxe vs Premium).
2. As of 11/19/2012 videos for tax law changes were not available yet (the prompt said coming soon).
3. Minor pet peeve: Help is not context sensitive. For example, when you click on "learn more" about a particular topic the general help window opens but it does not show help topics for the specific topic that you were working on. Instead you need to search and know which words to use locate the relevant topics.
5. Copy and Paste from Interview screens is not possible. Sometimes I wish to do it for some issue as a reminder to myself. My solution is to do PrintScreen (holding ctl key, shift key, and PrintScreen key at the same time). This generates an image of the screen, which I paste into paint or photo editing software which I can print or save for later.
6. I don't use the default location for the tax returns due to how I set up my backup software. The H&R Block software does not initially remember this new location on the second start of the application, it told me I have no returns. I needed to pick the return manually from the File menu, as it did remember recently used files. The third time I started the software, it finally knew the location of the tax return file.
7. I use large font option on my monitor display and in the past had display issues (some things were displayed on top of each other). This year all forms displayed properly with this option. Nice!
10. H&R Block Deluxe entitles you to 5 free federal state e-files.
11. The price on this package changes day to day. I found a nice tools that shows history of Amazon prices. If you enter "price history alert" in Google it will come up at the top, it has the word camel in the name. I find this tool very helpful. You can set up an alert tool to email you when your desired price has been reached.
A note about registration glitch for the digital download
Last year I run into a glitch a solution to which I want to include again for those who might run into the same issue this year.
After I installed the software and started it for the first time it prompted me to enter a key-code. The prompt said that I should have received in the email after purchasing the software, however the email I received from Amazon did not contained a key-code. I had to call Amazon support and they told me that this information can be found following these steps
1) Log into Amazon
2) Select Your Account at the top right of the page
3) Select Games and Software downloads which is towards the bottom of the long page you see when you log in
4) Then under H&R software entry you will see the key-code that you need to enter to unlock the software
I have been a H&R Block/TaxCut user for many years. The interview process is helpful in reminding you things you might have forgotten. So I am quite pleased with it and recommend it!
Ali Julia review