Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

on February 2, 2013
The Amazon download for this tax software works very well. There is a button during Amazon's install flow to display the key code, but the install didn't actually require it's entry. Perhaps it was applied automatically by the download process.

I was able to readily load my 2011 H&R Block file and thus many of my standard entries and history are all set for 2012. This is a big help since most of my filing information stays the same from year to year, and it keeps track of anticipated refunds and other carry-forward items like stock losses.

It was easy to download my first state, although in my haste in ordering this, I clicked on the version that didn't include a state return and thus had to pay for it. My fault, not Amazon's.

The other two states I need (for relatives) aren't available yet and are supposed to be ready on 2/8/13. This is not a problem since I won't be filing until after their final version is available later in the month.

I've found H&R Block to be well suited to my needs. Any tax software requires one to learn its flow and features, and you must, of course, use care in making entries.

I've been using H&R Block, and it's predecessor TaxCut brand, for over a decade without any issues. The 2012 version is consistent and working well.

The high state filing fees for tax software are plainly a bit silly -- and I've found an envelope and stamp work just fine. I need the software to get the calculations right -- not to save a minute signing and dropping the return in the mailbox.

Even with the various fees, I'm happier doing my tax return myself with this good software -- rather than going out to a tax preparer. The software provides useful background on the regulations which I wouldn't get with a clerical preparation service.
on February 25, 2013
This software didn't have forms that we needed. Specifically the form for the purchase of an electric car. We ended up buying Turbo Tax, which did have the form. I would not consider this the Deluxe version but if you have nothing special or unusual on your taxes this will probably work.
on March 4, 2013
I've used this for many years now. I've never had a problem with the software. I only had to contact customer service once because I lost my PIN to submit free electronic tax returns. They responded within 24 hours with my PIN so that I could file.

There is one issue that caused me to rethink this software for future years. The IRS sent me a nasty gram in the mail. It seems the software didn't submit all the forms for the 2011 tax year, last year. Because of such the IRS sent me nasty grams this year. A little behind if you ask me since I already received my refund and all. So yeah. There IS that. But other than that, if you have a pretty straight forward 1040 or 1040 A form to file this software is right for you.
on May 19, 2013
...and since one of them is Taxes, get H&R Block software. Although I highly recommend it, there are two areas I found somewhat confusing and could have been more easily explained and input, though YMMV:
1) HSA input
2) Education tax credits

Everyone else I know uses Turbo Tax and I hear nothing but horror stories with it. I think I'll stay with H&R! :)

I haven't sold stock or mutual funds yet, but I plan to and I'm a little more than worried about how well this tax software will account for it. But, I've used H&R Block for nearly a decade and its been very solid so I'm hoping for continued support.
on April 19, 2013
I have a 27" 3.06ghz intel Imac. The software worked fine and I liked using it, but I couldn't load the updates and I tried all methods suggested. It came to April 15, i concluded my return and went to e-file and it wouldn't let me, because it wasn't updated. I spent over an hour trying to get an update and finally printed the return and mailed it. I hope it is right. All my other programs update without issue. I will have to find another Mac program next year or go back to using a windows product that I used in the past. There is no excuse these days for this to happen. I will never use H&R Block again.
on February 25, 2013
This product always maximizes my returns; ive not been audited since i started using this product. Additionally, it usually gets me more deductions and credits than I would normally think I am eligible for thought its probing interview questions.
on October 6, 2013
H&R Block is my preferred software to do my taxes every year, I've been doing them for about 10 years now, and I haven't had a problem. The whole process is simple, and is design for all levels of skills to do it right the first time.
on March 10, 2013
Easy to use program, I finished my taxes in three hours. I purchase this every year when it is the GB deal and really like how it imports the information from the prior year.
on May 3, 2013
I have used H&R Block for a few years of tax declarations. This one was very doable. It did have a couple of hang ups, but I was able to get past that fairly easily.
on March 11, 2013
I tried both Turbo tax and At home and with At home it gave me a bigger refund. The wizard was better and easier to navigate. Would recommend it.

See 1 answered question