5.0 out of 5 stars Same old malarkey from H & R Block haters
I've used this program for business tax returns and trust returns for over 5 years. It is an excellent product for business returns and I say that as a CPA with over 30 years of doing returns. It has every form from W-2s to 1041 trust returns. Incredible selection--beats brand TT.

I have other software for Form 1040 (personal income tax return) that works...
Published on December 27, 2012 by San Antonio Sam

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Personal, Bad Business
Published on January 9, 2013 by ChuckW

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Personal, Bad Business, January 9, 2013
I have used HR Block software for personal returns for a number of years and am very happy with it. I purchased 2012 Premium+Business this year so I could also do my small corporate return, which is where the problem occurs. HR Block has very deceptively written all copy for this product to make it sound like the business returns work pretty much like the personal, with e-file available at extra charge. After receiving the software, I found a buried microprint footnote on the bottom of the box that made me unsure about e-file availability. A call to Block confirmed that NO business returns prepared with this software can be e-filed. In Virginia (and probably some other states), business returns are REQUIRED to be e-filed, so this software is totally unusable.
H&R Block needs to take action to make very clear in their advertising and packaging that these returns cannot be e-filed, in spite of their description of the software as being a "comprehensive business tax solution."

1.0 out of 5 stars 2012 Business Not Ready 2/5/13, February 5, 2013
Block is aware of serious problems with the 2012 business software. Form 1120s will not advance past the "partnership and Trust sections". It will abruptly shut down. Another bizarre problem is that if you go to the atx file for 2011 or 2012 and right click, it will tell you that this file opens with the 2008 version.I have spent over 16 hours with Block via phone and chat and trying to find a work around. Last week a supervisor told me it is a known problem but has no idea when it will be fixed. Block also will not let a review be posted on it's website that mentions this problem. They have denied 2 of mine with no reason given. Bill Cobb - CEO apparently does not care about his customers or he would have let all who initially contacted for help know instead of letting us spend hours trying to figure it out. Up until this year I would have given 5 stars rating but this year I have purchased a product that was knowingly faulty and Block apparently does not care about it's customers. To sum it up "H&R Block is not ready for the 2012 tax season" regardless of what it's delusional CEO says in his open letter protesting TurBo tax advertisements. Attached is an open letter I sent Bill Cobb - CEO:

H&R Block
Attn: Mr. Bill Cobb - CEO
Via email

Date: February 1, 2013

Re: Your letter of 2/1/2013 and H&R Business 2012 Software

Dear Mr. Cobb:

I applaud you for addressing the cheap shots in your recent letter regarding TurboTax's advertisements. An individual and businesses must have confidence in their tax preparer and tax software. Because of your concern on the perception of what people may think after seeing these ads, I felt that I should let you know of issues that I have experienced this week with your business software.

I have used your software for at least 4 years and have experienced the usual computer software issues that can arise on a seasonal program. Up until this week I found that patience and working with your Techs via phone and Chat always got my problems resolved in a timely manner; however, this year has started out with a much more serious problem. Please bear with me and note the following:

About two weeks ago I purchased your H&R Home Premium and Business product from Office Max. I installed the Business software and started my corporate tax return. I was able to install and import my 2011 data (or so I thought) easier than ever before. As I proceeded with the interview (Form 1120-s) I came to the page with the title (Stock Ownership - Partnerships and Trust). When I tried to move to the next window the program made an audible sound and abruptly closed. I tried restarting the program and getting past this page several time with the same result. I decided to stop and wait a week to see if there would be a download to correct the problem.

On 1/29/13 the problem was still evident so I called the Tech support number and advised the tech of the problem. She was unaware of this problem or if other users had experienced it. Since I had purchased the disk version from Office Max, she thought that perhaps I had a damaged disk/file and offered to email me a link to download another application. She also assigned Case ID # RES-23182306.

On 1/30/13 in the morning I had not received the email with the link so I called again. I spoke with another Tech who indicated that the previous Tech did not have the correct email address and forwarded me the link to download the application. This Tech was also unaware of the
problem being experienced by others. The assigned Case ID # REX - 23194126. Once I uninstalled my original application, downloaded and installed the new applications I experienced the exact same problem. My first reaction, since no one else was having this problem, was to assume there may be a problem with my computer. I installed the original disk on another computer with the same operating system and got the exact same problem. I then uninstalled this application and installed the downloaded version. They both abruptly shut down exactly the same way as my first experience on the other computer.

On 1/30/13 in the evening I thought I should try the Chat option. I chatted with the Tech and he assigned an escalated Case ID # RES-23235962. He also gave me a Chat # 11658159. He was unable to give me any help regarding the problem and indicated that I should call back the Techs at 800.472.5625. It is important to note that I spent about ˝ hour writing up the problem before sending the request out. The Tech received only the first or second sentence on his monitor. I had to explain the situation in detail to him to move forward with our chat.

On 1/31/13 in the morning I called and requested a supervisor. The supervisor was unable to help me and also have no experience with anyone else having the same problem. He gave me Case ID # RES 23257827 and indicated that I would get a call from another more knowledgeable Tech.

On 1/31/13 in the evening I received a call from a Tech. The also had no experience of knowledge of the problem I was experiencing. She said that she would forward the information that she had gathered and that they would do some research and get back to me the next day. I indicated that I would not be available until in the afternoon.

On 2/1/13 in the morning I received two calls from Tech's that left a call back number.

On 2/1/13 in the early afternoon I called the number that was given and spoke with a Tech and their Supervisor. The Supervisor indicated that this was a known problem and that a 3rd party vendor was working on it. He was unable to give me a time frame that this would be resolved but indicated that I would be contacted when it was.

At this point I want you to know that all of your people treated me with respect and truly cared about the problem I was experiencing; however, they were unable to provide much direction in what I should do.

I made contact with your people seven (7) times and spent approximately 7 hours in the process. In addition to the time I spent with your people, I also spent about the same time trying to find a solution to the problem or a work around to no avail.

It is my hope that a solution can be found and implemented ASAP and that I can continue to prepared my tax returns in a timely manner. It is also my hope that you will implement a program to let your Techs know if there is a known problem so that I and others will not waste our time, as I have over the last several weeks.

You have some good people working for you, but if I were not a regular customer and had not had the experience over the years with the problems that can arise when you are trying to keep
All the "balls in the air" between Congress, IRS and running a business my perception would not be positive as a result of this problem.

In my business, as with most, perception and confidence in those you do business with is very important.

I wish you a successful tax season and hope to be able to continue using your product in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars broken software no fix in sight. Update. Now my "free" efile keycode number is being rejected., February 4, 2013
This review is from: H&R Block At Home Premium & Business 2012 Win [Download] (Software Download)
First issue. The check boxes don't line up with the multiple choice answers in the interview section so you have to guess which selection goes with which answer.
Very annoying to have to deal with such sloopy coding in this day and age. I went on anyway.

HR Block CS know s about this problem but has no idea if or when there will be a fix.

Second issue.. >>>>>>Runtime error 5 Invalid procedure call or argument<<<

This message will be displayed if you have imported their 2011 1120S into their 2012 1120s return. Once you reach the page Percentage of Voting Stocks (Partnerships and Trusts), a box will appear with the messaging Runtime error 5 Invalid procedure call or argument. The program will then hang and close.

Software completely freezes and Windows shuts it down after a few minute. Tried to run in compatibility mode with the same results.

HR Block CS has no solution at this time and they have no idea when it might be fixed, if at all.

Finally got my taxes done by not uploading last years info.
After I finished my personal forms and tried to use my "free" Efile the key code they provided doesn't work?????????
The chat help line doesn't load any more and the phone help line is backed up to infinity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same old malarkey from H & R Block haters, December 27, 2012
San Antonio Sam (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews

I have other software for Form 1040 (personal income tax return) that works best for the large volume of returns I do. Yet, the 1040 program works as I have used it once or twice on very complex returns to check out my other tax program's logic!

If you need to prepare a few business tax returns, Form 1120, Form 1120S, Form 1065 etc (or Form 1040) this is priced right and works well. On sale under $60 bucks it's the way to go. If you have 100+ tax returns to prepare, go with a professional program costing in the $100s or $1,000s!

Don't listen to a negative comment on a 2012 tax programs when, due to Congress' failure to renew items such as AMT affecting 2012, nobody has a working 2012 tax program yet! Yet they rate it a 1 star?!!! Pure propaganda or horse manure.

Buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Having issues this year. First time this has happened after at least eight years of Taxcut H&R Block use, February 5, 2013
Purchased and installed downloaded product. First noticed the folder created in Program Files was named HR Block 2011. Very strange as this is obviously 2012 code. I am very experienced with using the product for the 1120S business return I do every year.

I ran the update, then imported last years return. Got the same pop-up as I did last year (up until filing time for 2011) about all the forms not being installed, but proceeded through the interview as last year. When I get to the screen in the interview concerning Stock Ownership (Partnerships & Trusts) an error message popped up (Run-time error 5. Invalid procedure call or argument) and then the program exited. Frustrating as I waited longer than I usually this year to begin the corporate return hoping all the glitches had been worked out.

H&R Block is usually a really good value for the product, but I dread having to commit a whole bunch of time to get the issues resolved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Product has reached an all time low, February 3, 2013
It does not import prior business returns from 2011 without a system error. Support could not help. This happend last year as well. Time to try a different product.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, February 10, 2013
TX Aggie PM "Don" (Bryan, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've been using the H&R Block At Home software for personal tax prep for about five years. While the UI is pretty clunky (something I can sympathize with considering our Harpoon 3 software), the net result has been pretty effective preparation of my tax return.

I've had issues with the software and with their support especially during March and April when they are clearly overwhelmed with requests and using a large part time work force on the IT side (regardless of the spin put on by recent TV ads).

Last year our simulation software firm's overall complexity was such that I wanted to try to roll my own 1120S. Given the amount of time I usually had to put into prepping the return for our wonderful CPA, I thought it may save me several hundred dollars and expedite the date things were done.

I had some issues with the software last year - for example information in the 1120S not being transferred to the simple Texas Franchise Tax or Public Information Report. This year is a whole new story.

I purchased the software in December and for valid reasons it really couldn't be used as Congress was still polishing off the law and H&R needed some time to finish the forms. However, I figured I'd at least import my 2011 information. No joy. Seems you have to have the 2011 software installed for the 2012 version to read the taxes. And, as I later found out, you have to UNINSTALL 2012 before INSTALLING 2011? How about the fact that the 2012 provided by Amazon actually was so screwed up that H&R Block sent me a new download link?

After restoring some backups I had several 2011 data files to choose from. Did you know each time you open and convert a prior year's files, the company name tag appears in the File Open dialog and stays? There is no mouse over with a date or path to differentiate between the different files. Nor is there a way to DELETE any of the entries once you've opened them.

After some digging I was able to import the correct return but frankly, all it imported was the company name address and TaxPayer ID. Nothing else. Really?

I waited till early February, executed the software update, and proceeded to enter the few forms that constitute our 1120S return and K-1′s. Then I went to enter our Texas forms.

Again, no data was transferred from the 1120S. I re-entered our contact information and tried to re-enter the exact same ownership information from last year's return. Turns out there was a bug with that form and it wouldn't allow me to enter the data. So I saved the return and waited another week. I opened the software, executed an update, and began to knock around the UI trying to get a data entry form to open for our Public Information Request. I entered that data and wanted to review my overall forms as PDF.

First problem was that the PDF print function produced 18 pt garbage. The second problem was that there was no 1120S data. NONE.

I executed a check of the other files - nothing there. I contacted H&R Block Support via Chat and the tech was unable to help me other than to escalate my issue to Level 2 support. I kept asking here if she could give me the file path then my Carbonite software might have made a backup of the files and at least I could do a restore. She couldn't.

Being an old time MS DOS dinosaur, I did some digging and discovered that the software no longer uses file extensions ".Txx" where xx was the year. They now use MS Access MDB style files that are, of course, password protected. There appears to be one per tax return. They are also located in the Program directory where nothing short of a disk image will back them up on my system. This is because I partition all of my systems to keep the OS and the data separate.

So, I am now faced with redoing my taxes as I have little faith that Level 2 support is going to help me. I did execute a disk image about a week ago and I will retrieve that disk from my day job office today. I'll see what Acronis put on there, I may get lucky. If I do I'll have to execute individual backup commands with each save, submit and switch to Turbotax next year.

If I happened to backup before I did the partial return, then I'm going to return the product to Amazon, buy both TurboTax packages and move on. Hopefully those products work. However, I do resent how much money I pay to Intuit each year for QB, Quicken, and now a pair of Tax Products.

So is it better to use a product from a tax firm or product from a software firm?

Well readers, I'm darn near certain that I'll be trying out both the Personal and Business editions of Turbo Tax this season. Stay tuned.

Edited and reposted from my blog "TX Aggie SE's Blog"

** As of mid March, I was able to file my corporate return by re-entering the entire return. then I started in on my personal return which runs about 140 pages... much more complicated than my little company's return.

Things were going along like they usually do with the software, I always liked the interview format. And I was saving my data in two places plus Carbonite backups. After a week hiatus I attempted to open the latest file and found that it was missing both Schedule C data sets for our personal businesses. I went to check the other files I had stored on multiple mediums and found that one file gives an error message of a corrupt header and the other pair simply hang the software.

I also found that while Amazon would not refund my money, if I had read H&R Block's Guarantee, they give you 60 days for a refund. As I was an early adopter and bought in DECEMBER I'm obviously SOL.

So there you have it - re-entering data again regardless of the precautions I take against this vile software.

Any attorneys out there?

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot install everything, January 9, 2013
There are two separate installations required for this product. The first installation is for the 1040s and that was very simple
to install i just a couple of minutes.

The second installation is for the corporations, partnerships, trusts, estates and non-profit returns. There was something wrong
with my disk and I was not able to install this.
In past years, I have been very happy with this software.
But I am very unhappy with the 2012 disk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Program VERY glitchy, February 13, 2013
First off, I have used H&R Block for several years now. Don't usually have an issue with their software. This year however, the software has MANY issues. I know that the software updates related to actual tax issues may take more time this year due to the legislature delays, however, the software has many more issues than that at this time. I haven't had any trouble from the individual part of the software but the business side needs major work.
For instance, while posting data into the business section of the software, I noticed that the automatically populated areas were not calculating any totals, such as in the other deduction areas, the total just stayed at zero.
Also, when I posted the owners/partners, the data looked as if it posted correctly. However, when I reviewed the data, the last partner information posted in a record, was listed for all partner records.
Then when I saved the company, exited the software and returned at a later time, using the "Open the last company" option, to see if any updates were available, possibly to fix the above mentioned issues, the software had an unexpected error and had to close. I tried this several times to make sure it wasn't something in my system etc. If I opened the software and tried to open the company with the "open an existing company" where the pop up box has a list of the available companies, if you started more than one, it would do nothing other than take me back to the original start up screen. Again, trying several times.
These few issues that have nothing to do with tax issues make the software worthless at this time. I am thinking of going elsewhere THIS year and will definitely use other software next year. Again I understand that tax issues are one thing and they need time to create what has just been legislated, however, the above mentioned issues are just software related and do nothing but frustrate or anger the user.
Former H&R Block user!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time. This products seem to be a demo version with all issues though it is commercial full version., March 12, 2013
I wasted lot of time trying to use this product and all kinds of errors while trying to use the product. I am telling you, you will feel bad if you still go and buy the product after reading this review. I read some reviews and still went and bought the product because it is cheapest of all. Never do that to your self. Reviews are there for a reason. BTW, I used business version of the product and not tried personal. One sad customer.