5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar writing and brilliant acting...
I have read on several Web sites that the ratings for this show are only so-so. It's a shame more people aren't watching it. This show has attracted the best character actors in Hollywood. And what a dream it must be to play characters that are so complex and multi-layered.

Published on April 18, 2009 by Brad Schmidt

1.0 out of 5 stars ZZZZZZZZZZ
I am fascinated that this incredibly boring, poorly acted show had five seasons on HBO...I noticed Tom Hanks is an Executive Producer...perhaps that explains it. Personally, I love HBO programming, even the stinky, guilty pleasures like True Blood...Big Love (or Big Snooze) is not provocative, interesting or entertaining. I am thankful it was free to Prime members, and...
Published 25 days ago by Emily QueenVelvet

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar writing and brilliant acting..., April 18, 2009
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)

I will admit, the storylines are all very similar. They all revolve around either Bill having some issue with his wives or Bill struggling against people who are trying to keep him from the business deals he wants to make happen. (This season is focused on making Weber Gaming a success and all the trouble the getting into gambling is causing him and his family). The thing is, even though there is a predictable pattern of going back and forth between family drama and work drama, all the people in Bill's life continue to evolve and we continue to see them grow and struggle.

I truly hope this show is renewed for a few more seasons. I am still very invested in these characters and want to know what happens to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Other TV Series Like It, May 18, 2009
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
As some of the other reviewers mentioned, it was a long time coming for Season 3 to come out, but definitely worth the wait. I've been a loyal viewer of Big Love (it's one of my favorite HBO shows) since the beginning. The first one or two episodes of Season 3 may seem a bit trite (and boring) but that's because the writers are building up the story line. Hold on to your seats because after the first couple of episodes, you're going for a thrilling ride. As always, character development is superb as is the drama between the characters (inside and outside of the Hendrickson family). I won't go into the storyline, as I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but this is a definite must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stellar third season of Big Love!, January 9, 2010
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
I've been a long-time fan of Big Love, and can't help but be addicted to this story about a polygamist, successful Mormon businessman Bill Henrickson (played credibly by Bill Paxton), and his three wives - Barb (Jeanne Triplehorn) the first wife who was initially (during her battle with cancer)persuaded by husband Bill to embrace "The Principle" which basically embraces the concept of polygamy. Through Seasons 1-2, we see Barb struggle with the consequences of living The Principle as reflected in the conflicts between her and her two other sister wives (as the co-wives are called) and also the impact it has on her own relationship not just with Bill and their children, but also Barb's family. Then there's second wife Nicolette (Chloe Sevigny) who is the daughter of Roman Grant, the patriarch and Prophet of Juniper Creek, a Mormon settlement and whose followers all embrace The Principle. Nicki's character is often portrayed as ultra religious and rather extreme in her views, though she is not without flaws - for one, she is a spendthrift and her battles with shopping addiction was well-chronicled in the earlier seasons. The main reason for Nicki's joining Bill's family was initially to provide a mother figure for Bill and Barb's children in case Barb should die. Finally, the third wife is Margene, the new convert to The Principle, and also the youngest amongst the wives. Over the seasons, we see Margene maturing into her role as the third sister wife and no longer as naive as she was in the first season.

As Season Three begins, there is plenty of drama to keep long-time fans entertained and to intrigue new fans (though this series does need to be watched from the First Season in order to truly understand all the dynamics of the relationships and the convoluted story arcs). In the first half of this season, the two main story arcs are the trial of Roman Grant as well as Ana (the prospective fourth sister wife). Ana (played by Branka Katic) is a Serbian waitress (with a credible accent to boot) who is being wooed by Bill. Ana is attractive but far from submissive, demonstrating an independent and inquiring mind, and more importantly a strong will that may prove incompatible with Bill and his three wives. So the wives get to know Ana, a collective undertaking initiated by Barb. This first half of the season also sees Bill trying his hardest to get his casino business off the ground. The rest of the third season sees the repercussions of this relationship between Bill and Ana, as well as what happens as a result of Roman's trial. Bill and his family face some serious issues - those of faith, problems faced by Bill's offspring especially daughter Sarah (the brilliant Amanda Seyfried, recently seen in "Jennifer's Body"), and other shenanigans within the family.

The various story arcs are well-plotted, and the ensemble cast does a credible job in making these characters seem like very real people facing life problems - only thing is, the problems are not always the conventional sort which is to be expected given the premise of the series which deals with the issues of plural marriage. The ending of Season 3 was quite satisfactory for me - there's enough left unresolved that I look forward to Season 4 (which is premiering soon on HBO), but there's also enough resolution for some story arcs that one is not left completely hanging.

DVD features - well, the aspect ratio is 16:9, there is the option of Spanish, French, English subtitles (and also English closed captioning). There is a total of 10 episodes on 4 discs (each in its own plastic case, the slim version). The picture and audio quality are above average in my opinion, very clear audio and crisp and well-defined picture. The extras are found on Disc 1 - the usual trailer for HBO programming, "Their Stories So Far" where Bill and the three sister wives speak to the camera, addressing who they are etc, "Three Past Midnight" which consist of 3 enactments involving the main characters. Final verdict - a highly entertaining, original, and engrossing show - a must-have for fans!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm still watching ... BUT, June 20, 2014
Binge watching may be inadvisable. I found myself wanting the Greene's to choke egomaniac, sex fiend, greedy, manipulative, not nearly as good looking as I thought he was in season 1, sanctimonious without accompanying religiosity Bill for at least another full minute, for Barb to wake up out of whatever fogs she's been in and finally inform her husband that she'll no longer tolerate his philandering ... regardless of his supposed testimony to go back to his fundamentalist roots, for Nicki to "shut the H up" with her whining, smirking, manipulative, destructive, falsely pious blather (actually, now that I think about it, she's Bill's female reflection) ... and for Margene to admit that she's bisexual, sexually attracted to Ben, and too naive to actually survive without at least three other people to care for her. I was very glad that Ana ran off.
On the other hand, I've obviously become so invested in the show that I'm writing a full length review.
Harry Dean Stanton is absolutely superb in his role as The Prophet; not only does he absolutely have that raw-boned appearance ... defines the concept, actually ... but voice inflection, facial expression, and entirety of presentation is award worthy (Hello, again, Kiser Pease. You ain't changed not one little bit in 40 long years. Where the Lilies Bloom made an indelible impression on me; this actor was a large part of that).
I'll be watching for other movies/shows that feature Matt Ross, who portrays Alby Grant; he has that charisma that makes him very interesting to watch
The other actors in Big Love play their roles to the hilt as well, as has been discussed by many other viewers.
While I know that there are many discrepancies between the actual lives of Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints members and this show, from my research ... inspired by the show, it seems that there are clear depictions of rituals, rites and attitudes of both the Fundamentalists and LDS. The show depicts an interesting glimpse behind the veil of the religions, while being entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite HBO Series!, January 26, 2009
Music Lover "Jan" (Staten Island, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
For BIG LOVE fans like me, it was a loooooooong wait until a week ago when the first episode of Season 3 finally aired on HBO. Luckily, I had taped Season 1 and 2 and was able to review the fun during the year lapse.

Now having already seen Season 3's 1st episode BLOCK PARTY a week ago and the 2nd episode EMPIRE yesterday, I am once again hooked for the remainder of the season!

To be honest, I had been a little concerned that the writers and actors were running short on creative ideas and that Season 3 might be a disappointing bore. But, it hasn't been thus far, and I am excited as ever to see how the plots will unfold and where the imaginative writers and skillful cast will take us this season.

BTW, I am too busy (and lazy!) to arrange to tape the episodes this season, so I'm pre-ordering the Season 3 box set. This series is definitely worth the 40 bucks to add it to my home DVD collection.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Viewing!, February 10, 2010
Gary Peterson (San Diego, California USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
My wife and I watched the complete Seasons One and Two of "Big Love." It was my wife's idea, and we enjoyed it very much. When Season 3 became available, we picked it up and we're now through with the last episode.

The first two seasons sort of acted as an introduction. It took a while to get used to plural marriage and all the interactions between the characters and the cultural setting involved. But the episodes seemed positive, almost bubbly, and it was interesting and amusing visiting the antics of this strangely constructed family and all the interacting people about them.

Season 3 took a turn toward the darker side. Everything seemed to start to fall apart and unravel in one way or another. The church, the family, the relatives, friends, the legal system and the business dealings all started to go wrong, sometimes very wrong. Everyone seemed to be unhappy for one reason or another. The teenage children started to have teenage problems. The wives started to have doubts, and one even started dating. A failed attempt was made to add another wife to the group. The relatives went through endless bickering. The church and the legal system became ominous. Now, don't think I'm complaining! I'd say, and my wife agrees, the third season was much more interesting than the first two. This plural marriage and strangely mixed family actually became much more real. The acting was excellent. The Utah setting was wonderful. The problems were heartfelt. Many of the problems seemed much like those of conventional families, but magnified in scope because of the complexity of the mixture. One episode had the entire family going on a journey to their religious roots in a several-thousand-miles auto trip in three cars, no less. It was hilariously funny, but quite touching.

We would judge Season 3 to be much better than the previous 2, and we hope this series keeps going. My wife and I enjoyed it as a type of story at first, and a peek at a strange other world, but it gradually turned into a dark comedy and there was not a night when we didn't get some good laughs. Does everyone react that way? We doubt it. I suppose everyone interprets it in their own way. However, "Big Love" presents compelling viewing.

Gary Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars The third season is the BEST one, April 25, 2009
Bob Waskiewicz (Wintersville, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
I've been watching "Big Love"from the start,and to be honest,I was getting bored untill the third season started,and everything happened.The writters and actors really made this year the BEST,and I'm looking forward for season 4 to start in the fall.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun show, January 20, 2010
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
This is a fun show. Entertaining but covers a lot of social and ethical issues, especially concerning religion. Pretty good acting. Pretty good writing. If you like other HBO/Showtime shows, you will probably like this one. It's certainly worth a rental.

5.0 out of 5 stars More intensity, family drama, and lots of big love, January 19, 2010
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
Things heat up even more for the Henriksens with Nikki's conflicted feelings about her father and her history with the compound, Margene's foray into selling jewelry, Barb's run-in with her old church, Sarah's shocking developments, and there's even an exhausting and emotional road trip which Bill had wanted to take for years but which does not turn out the way he had hoped.

The cast is as superb as ever, and somehow you can't help but feel for these troubled, loving family members even though they are living in an arrangement that most of us would never imagine or want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Love, Big Entertainment!, April 27, 2010
This review is from: Big Love: Season 3 (DVD)
When I first started watching the show, I found it to be a bit confusing. There were so many characters and the concept seemed so far-fetched that I almost abandoned it after the first episode. There were two reasons why I didn't. One, it was produced by Tom Hanks. Two, he stated very clearly in the first episode that somewhere between 20,000 to 40,000 people in the United States practiced polygamy. Holy Mama! I know there are also sects in Canada where I live, and the topic is certainly intriguing. So I continued to watch and I'm so glad that I did.

Big Love traces the life of one man, Bill, who was kicked out of Juniper Creek, a polygamist cult, at a young age so that he did not serve as competition for the older men. Bill proceeded to establish a fairly "normal" life for himself in the community with a wife and several children. But then he was forced to take on another wife, and suddenly he found himself living a polygamist lifestyle outside of the compound, where it could present all kinds of complicated problems. First, he and his family, who are trying to live by the "principle," are forced into becoming constant liars. Second, his wives live in the modern world and consequently, they talk back to him, unlike the more subservient women at the compound. Third, his children are growing up in mainstream schools. They have friends and they date. They are torn about their feelings for their parents and the lifestyle.

This is a show that I think about after I flick off the TV, which is rare, because it poses so many interesting ethical issues. How far should people be allowed to go to practice their religion when it conflicts with social norms and the law? Does polygamy always exploit women, and child brides, or is there a downside for men too?

How long can people lie to others without feeling like hypocrites or have a knot inside their stomach like a cancer? How many of us can relate in our own way in terms of being or doing something different -- many gays still need to hide their lifestyle. Those who have affairs do the same. How well do we know our neighbors? These are great questions and if it sounds as though the show is just sociologically fascinating, it's not true. It's got a lot of great laughs and terrific acting. Fine entertainment. I'm so happy I got past the first episode.

Block Party [HD]