Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Platform: PC/Mac Disc|Edition: Deluxe + State|Change
Price:$44.95 - $44.99

on June 18, 2014
I've been using H&R Block tax software for nearly ten years, using Kiplinger's before it became H&R Block. Although I have degrees in accounting and finance, I find this to be a quick and comprehensive means of completing my tax return. Although there have not been any significant changes to the program over the past years, the 2013 edition seemed to get me through my taxes quicker than previous years, although, I might be a little more proficient at it now.

Before paying a tax preparer to do your taxes, for the minimal expense this program costs, I would recommend this as a cost saving means of doing your taxes. It will essentially ask you the same questions a tax preparer would ask, but at much less the cost.
on March 3, 2014
I've been using the H&R software since it first came out. I have had to deal with many tax issues using the software (deaths & estate settlements, investment firm issues, corporate splits and mergers, real estate sales and purchases, etc..) and have always found the query/review design of the software effective. Since the software has come out I have only had 2 problems with my taxes - one was caused by my employer messing up our W-2s which required me filing an amended return (not as easy as a primary return and with some clarify issues in the software because of the use of the primary return phasing in the queries) and the other was related to multiple-state incomes and how income is treated differently in different states. This was not a software issue but did require a little more work than usual. I have only had to use a tax advisor once since using the software and that was about a fine point of residency law and the IRS's interpretation of multi-state residencies.
on March 25, 2014
I've gone back and forth between different tax software products and I've decided on H&R Blocks version. Everything in it is automatic, it works as well as can be expected, and I think there is less sales pitches for upgrades, etc. than you find in the other products. I did find some frustrating things such as it suggested my wife and I file separately to pay less taxes but when I went through all the trouble of doing two separate returns it said we would pay more. I also found it frustrating that when I decided to take the standard deduction, it wasn't smart enough to get rid of all the itemized documents it had created and went ahead and printed out a zillion pages of unnecessary documents. But, it did help in getting my taxes completed and the upload to the IRS worked great. If only I could find software that would eliminate taxes!!!
on April 11, 2014
I've used H&R tax software for 7 years, Been working great for me. I do my taxes & both of my daughters. It includes CA (or your choice) State as well as long as you get the deluxe + state (if you choose that buying option). State return is also available for an extra $20 or so later, in case you only buy the regular deluxe.
I have Ira roll overs, Schedule D stocks & options, divends / interest, itemized deductions A&B, etc. Imports data from Quicken & W2 if employer supplies, Bank, stock imports & imports prior year return.
My only complaint is the data check at the end, as it reviews prior year submission and sometimes situations change year to year. So you just have to enter that "yes" this item is OK. I rate it 4.5 stars, but no 4.5, so make it 5.
Does the job for me & $20 to $30 less than turbo. I haven't had a problem yet. Automatic check for updates. Easy to use step by step entry. Also has a free online consult with an HR Block preparer if you have a question not covered by info links in the program.
Works well for me.
on March 15, 2014
Overall the software does a pretty reasonable job, however, they still have not corrected a software problem when dealing with IRA basis. Back when in the 60's some states did not allow you to write off any contributions to an IRA Account but stated, that when you started to withdraw the funds after reaching a mandatory age, that you did not have to pay any taxes on that which you withdrew until you recovered your basis. I brought this to their attention two years ago and they said they would correct it, but in 2014 when running the program they had not and the only way to declare the basis was to manually go into the state subtraction area where IRA is entered and then to input that information there in.
I talked to a local H&R Block office locally and they said that they have to do the same thing.
on April 16, 2015
This review is being written a year after the fact, but the product worked just fine. At the time, my wife and I both had very small businesses and just needed to report the income from them in addition to the normal 1040 stuff and special college deductions/credits for my daughter. No problem. The Deluxe version handles both sole proprietorship stuff and obscure college deductions and credits just fine. I've been using Block's program for about 20 years now and it sure beats using a desktop calculator and photocopying forms at the local library. By the way, it imports all the repetitive stuff from the previous years return. You are given the chance to review all of the information and it cuts down on a lot of the typing you would have to do without the import feature. It also estimates your projected taxes for quarterly filing and prints out the Federal and State forms (if you want it to).
on January 7, 2014
I switched from Turbo Tax to the old "Tax Cut" when I found that the then-current version of Turbo demanded that I install a Windows upgrade before I could install Turbo Tax.
The only reason I don't still use "Tax Cut" is because H&R Block bought them out - and that's why I ordered the 2013 version of H&R Block as soon as I could get it from Amazon.
The first software update - which delivers the federal forms release - isn't out, yet, but I've installed the software and begun working with the interview. As a single taxpayer with investments in stocks and mutual funds, I exercise a subset of the features that most folks don't, and H&R Block's software handled them just fine last year; I expect them to, this year, as well.
Why?
Tax Cut was always powerful and reliable, and it still is under the H&R Block label.
Strongly recommended.
on March 16, 2014
For a simple 1040 with mortgage interest, short term and long term investment gains/losses, charitable donations, dependant tuition credits, etc. (all that I use, though I pass over many others during the software interview), THIS IS IT. I cannot comment on small business ease-of-use, but I see it has this capability also. The program asks the questions needed to fill-in the IRS forms, and it's uncovered deductions I'd never thought were available; credits I didn't know existed.

I'm one who thinks tax forms should not burden my freedom, and I'm willing to give $25 to save a couple hours of my free time. The extra deductions and credits are a bonus that paid for previous years of paying $25 for just keeping the first quarter tax season simple.
on February 2, 2014
Fast, Quick and I'm all filed. This program worked better than
it did in previous years. Gosh filing has never been so easy.
Cheaper than going to see them in person, unless you have other information
that needs a tax representative--this is the way to go.

Federal, State AND City all filed.

No headaches---- It did cost an additional $20 to file State taxes.

You do get representation once the IRS has accepted your tax form. They accepted my form and I printed off the page that said HR Block would represent my interest if there is something wrong. 100% guarantee if "you print" the page from HRB after acceptance check.

Amazon wasted no time in sending it fast....smiling.

---- laissez le bon temps rouler
"let the good times roll" in French.
on March 5, 2014
This is good tax prep software at a decent price (check for sales or discounts). Interview format but you can jump to forms when desired. Links to explanations or additional info when you need it. Imports last year's data and imports tax forms from most major financial service firms. Includes one state program. Five federal e-files included so you can take care of family. On the negative side of things I had issues printing the state returns--it would stall the printer. I was able to work around but it was a hassle. And, other than putting money in H&R Block's pocket why charge for the state e-file? Check out the online tax prep services or free services like AARP's TaxAide, but if if they don't fit your needs, this software should get the job done at a modest price.