Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bloco Toys Aqua and Pyro Dragons
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon October 23, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was very excited to let my kids dive into the Bloco Aqua and Pyro dragon construction set. My older kids are 9 and 6 and have enjoyed Legos for years (no surprise there). We also have a two-year old who insists on getting his hands dirty whenever the Legos come out, so we thought that this Bloco set could be a nice change of pace - bigger, softer pieces, cool monsters, etc.

For the most part, we've been pleased with the results. Aqua and Pyro are both intricate dragons - collectively they have over 230 pieces, so this is more than a five-minute construction activity. Several of the pieces are very similar in size and shape, so you're going to have a lot of "close but does not quite fit" moments - which can be excellent teaching moments for, say, an impatient 6 year old who just wants the dragon to come together so she can get to stomping and breathing fire.

Once assembled, the dragons are suitable for reasonably active play - you can't toss them around like a football, but you can also play with them without having them fall apart like some other similar products. The dragons' faces are expressive and lend themselves well to play and imagination, and I love the strong distinctions between the two dragons. Our kids are always looking to see if their sibling got the "cooler" toy, but they are each pretty happy with either Aqua and Pyro.

Full disclosure - owning this set by itself is not going to lend to a lot of wide-ranging construction projects - the toys are just too limited. We've had some fun creating other dragon sets, but I think you're going to have to look at Aqua and Pyro as Gateway Dragons - you're going to need to buy a lot more Bloco products if you want your kids to just go into their room and play with their Blocos. It would be very similar if you bought a two-dragon Lego set, of course, but the individual Lego building blocks appear to be more universal/versatile than the Bloco dragon pieces - although I'm looking forward to mixing and matching our Bloco dragons with other Bloco monsters, bugs, etc.

A high-quality product - this toy is sufficiently durable that it will survive anything short of a border collie making it a chew toy.

Recommended, but you may need to help your younger kids with assembly.
VINE VOICEon October 9, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have 3 children who are currently ages 8,10 and 13. None of them are extreme lego or puzzle fanatics but they enjoy playing with both. When I showed them these dragons they were all excited to try them out. Unfortunately with this toy I think the idea is better than the application. Punching out the pieces is time consuming and not much fun. You need to be very careful with them as they are easily lost. We put ours immediately into ziplocs for safekeeping. Putting the pieces together is hard on the fingers and the toy will not stay together for any kind of play afterwards so it is strictly a shelf toy. Also, although the box says ages 6+ don't expect kids to be able to do this themselves. I think only the most persistent of them will be able to make it through the steps, which even to me are confusing. So, with one blue dragon halfway built and no interest in continuing, we bid this toy adieu and back to legos we go.
VINE VOICEon November 4, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are basically model dragons made out of that dense floor tile foam. They are interesting, but my son lost interest after building 1 and a half dragons and hasn't looked at them since. My cat ate one of the pinky sized pieces of foam and later barfed it up on the carpet. The foam is attractive for animals to chew on so I would avoid these if you have pets that like to eat random packing peanuts, foam, etc.

A complaint I had is the directions are terrible, really, everyone needs to look at Lego's directions and learn something from them. These companies roll out products with terrible directions. As another reviewer pointed out that the pieces are easy to install wrong, especially considering the directions. I am fine with them, but I like to let my son figure this stuff out on his own, so it can go together wrong and not work well (like the head won't support itself if you put the piece holding it in backwards).

So all things considered, and especially since the pieces are an obvious choking hazard for little ones, and the lack of interest in these models makes me pass on these dragons.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is our third version of Bloco. We got the first (lizards) when our son was six, the second (dinos) a year or two later, and now this one (dragons) for his eleventh birthday. It's a simple toy that allows for a lot of fun and creativity. They come with step by step easy-to-follow directions to make particular dragons. Our son was certainly able to do that easily. But it's honestly more fun to come up with your own creatures, dragons or otherwise. Even better, all the version mix and match so once you've got a few of them you can make some wild hybrids. The go together easily and while they don't stay together particularly well if you want to energetically play with them in terms of running them around or attacking each other, you can move them around with a modicum of care so they don't fall apart. As mentioned in my review of an earlier version, the biggest problem is getting him to tear apart ones he's made so we can make new ones. Recommended.
on January 6, 2013
My 10-year old daughter loves all things dragon, so when she saw these dragons in ******** catalog, she quickly added them to her Christmas wish list. I was pleased to find them on Amazon, for less, of course, and promptly ordered them. She loves them, and had fun assembling them. The parts are made from thick, dense foam and come in sheets that must be taken apart before the dragons can be assembled. Instructions are illustrations and very straight forward. Note that it does take some time, at least 20 minutes, for assembly. However if you have a project oriented child then that should not be an issue. Once she assembled the dragons, she promptly disassembled them and combined the parts to make a 2-headed dragon. This item exceeded my expectations.
on January 19, 2015
The dragons are cute. Assembly is challenging mostly because the directions are vague in places - or maybe just too small. For a three dimensional model, it would be nice if the foam were finished and textured on both sides. These are definitely not durable models for playing with once built. The legs fall off easily so they will dismantle quickly and can be used in create mode forevermore. If your child (or you, President Business) prefer they stay in tact, they will have to be admired on the shelf.

But my biggest gripe is the amount of foam waste. I would estimate that we ended up with 50% of the foam forming dragons and 50% in the trash. Bloco could and should do better.
review image
on August 13, 2015
Saw these at an art museum gift shop. I purchased them instead through Amazon. My grandson, 8, loves them. They took a little time to put together but they were still doable for an 8 year old with some adult guidance. I am very happy with this purchase as is he.
on June 13, 2014
This is tucked away for Christmas. The grandchild will be three. The foam-like pieces are washable and easy to put together with the help of Mamma and Daddy. They are colorful and a good size. She's very interested in dragons and I think she'll love these. I also like to fact that they're made in Canada. In my past experience, they make quality items at a fair price.
on December 30, 2014
My five and a half year old son got this product as a Christmas gift from a family member. He was very excited to receive it, but his enthusiasm took a small hit when he opened the box and discovered just how intricate it was to put together.

He has been insistent about me helping him to put it together, and we sat down this afternoon to do so. He would not have been able to assemble the dragons on his own, albeit he is slightly younger than the recommended age. The dragons are attractive and expressive when finished, but the snap joints slip apart quite easily making them more like dynamic 3D puzzles than play toys.

My lower score on the product has to do with its misleading marketing - the box highlights young children handling the dragons, however those kids are too young to assemble the dragons themselves and the dragons are too apt to fall apart and trigger frustration. Better choices would have been to highlight parent-child bonding over joint assembly or an older child admiring the dragon on his/her shelf.
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do not share the enthusiasm of other reviewers for this product.
Once built the Dragons are attractive especially the Red Dragon.
I do not think that either will stand up to any amount of real play
but you can handle them without seeing them falling apart at the slightest touch.
I enjoy building toys and looked forward to this kit but found it to be a disappointment.

You cannot open the box, pour out the pieces and start building.
Inside the box are die cut foam sheets of varying thickness.
Expect to spend about two hours punching out the pieces. Be careful doing this.
After about ten minutes, I realized that some of the "waste" was pieces.
A search of the garbage bag yield most of what was tossed. One of the accent pieces is still missing.

This is foam making for a very light pliable piece.
The drawbacks are that the wrong piece can "fit".
It makes inserting tabs difficult to say the least. The teeth are a lot of "fun".

The instructions sheet is printed on both sides of a large page of paper.
With 15 to 20 steps, each box is small so determining what goes where is a challenge.

This is a kit to build two dragons, the box pictures additional projects.

I built both dragons in about an hour. I doubt any child under 10 could build either dragon without extensive help.