5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!
Published on July 18, 2009 by Dawn C. Edmonson

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review
Published on September 28, 2010 by Niquey

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!, July 18, 2009
Dawn C. Edmonson "The Feathered Nest" (Locust Grove, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds (Paperback)
If you are thinking of starting a blog, are new to blogging or you're like me, and have been blogging for several years, this book is a wonderful go-to reference for just what you need to know to be a great blogger! Tara covers all the important aspects of blogging from how to start your own blog to making your photographs look great to blog etiquette....plus there are so many wonderful bloggers featured inside. They share their take on blogging, what works for them and even the blogs they must visit on a daily basis. I love it ~ even as a seasoned blogger, there's still so much I can learn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blissed Out, August 10, 2009
What's not to love about Blogging for Bliss by Tara Frey? It features several dozen eye candy blogs in a handy softcover square.
Want to know how to start your own blog? It's all there, whether you want to blog for fun or profit- from promoting your own business to accepting advertising on your blogs. Frey digs into all the major blog programs: Blogger, Typepad, Wordpress.
She knows whereof she speaks, having had an on-line journal since 2004 and a popular virtual on-line shop, Bella Pink. He blog is known as Typing Out Loud or TaraFrey.com, [...]. Frey may be familiar to some hard-copy readers, having been featured in Romantic Country Homes magazine and has been a contributing editor for Romantic Homes magazine where, among other things, she highlighted not-to-be-missed blogs.
Calling blogs "the personal journals of the 21st century," Frey takes her Bliss book readers on a journey of some of the most notable and widely-read blogs from around the country and around the world.
I enjoyed the book simply for the introduction to blogs I had not seen before, and for the beautiful showing of blog banners, both new and familiar. If you want to find more favorite places with the same kind of sentiment as Frey, Bliss will serve as your handbook. Good thing it is softcover; I have it dog-eared already from checking out all the beautiful blogs she profiles. You'll want to be at your computer while looking at this book! And keep it right there handy for future visits.
Newbies will appreciate her helpful glossary of e-mystifying terms, like domain mapping, IP address and Icerocket; links to helpful resources for bloggers, explanation of those cutesy abbreviations like OTOH and TAFN, and HTML, with simple codes for beginning bloggers.
Bliss will also help you explore the various platforms in depth, choosing a home for your blog, and the all-important style, colors, widgets and fun blog accessories to achieve a personalized and custom look, even if you are not computer savvy.
A big attraction of Frey's blog has always been her photography. In her book she discusses how to take--and edit--blog-worthy photos, with a discussion of proper equipment as well as public photo-sharing and storage sites.
Lastly, if you just want to understand more about the popular no-longer-just-a-phenomenon called blogging, Frey offers blog etiquette tips about comments, spam, and general manners for both bloggers and readers.
It's an indispensable little book. Try it; you'll like it. Blogging for Bliss, and blogging, whether as a reader or a writer, add much to the human language.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review, September 28, 2010
Niquey (Royal Oak, MI) - See all my reviews
For starters, Blogging for Bliss is a visual masterpiece. It's artistically and beautifully put together, and for that reason alone it makes a good purchase. However.... the content falls a little short of expectations. Each "chapter" seems to have about a dozen paragraphs worth of content, and then has page after page dedicated to someone else's blog. And while this does take time and effort to interview other bloggers, I was hoping for something more "meaty" to chew on when it comes to blogging about crafting. Furthermore, what I find ironic is that the author of a book about blogging has only posted eight (yes, I counted although it's technically 7 as one post is dedicated to her daughter's photos) articles to her own blog since January 2010, and this book was published in August 2009.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Some Real Help, July 28, 2009
Finally! Some real help and advice from a gosh darn great blogger! Blogger Tara Frey guides anyone from a die-hard techie back through the real beginner to find their own on-line style. And she does it with beautiful photographs, insightful personal notes, and candid interviews from other successful bloggers. There is a glossary to help understand vocabulary, an concise explination of several blogging platforms, and a wonderful chapter on creating the best photos possible. This book will help boost confidence, not only for the newbie or undecided, but also spark ideas in the experienced, as well. Not only a great starting point, it is also a great refresher!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Shiny Bright Love, August 21, 2009
This is one of those books that came up for me as a suggestion and it had good reviews and looked like it might have potential.

IT IS WONDERFUL!!!

A womanly, girly, crafty inspiration on every page. Great profiles of other women and their really cool blogs. You will want to be friends with them all!

It is practical and gave some instruction on making your own blog pretty cool.

If you like Victoria magazine, antique stores, shabby chic this is your book. Even if you don't have a blog it will connect you a whole world of crafty women you will want to visit.

Order this book, have some tea and cookies and your computer handy...

Suz

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a Helpful Book, September 20, 2009
P. Adams (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
I was so glad I ordered it. I had never blogged before, but knew it should be good for my business. This was just what I needed to get me going and I finally started my own blog. I probably would not have done it without the book. At my age, sometimes it is hard to try new things.

2.0 out of 5 stars printed version of the blog -- I left uninspired --it's a narrow niche book, April 13, 2012
I picked mine up at an estate sale yesterday. I paid three dollars so not a lot to complain about there. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it there so I bought. Although the title says for all crafters artists and creatives...the entire book has a Shabby Chic graphic design feel ..in other words, it isn't for all creative people. I agree with a couple of the other posts...a lot of pages and I mean A LOT considering the book is only 145 pages of content...is "meet the Blogger". These bloggers first off, are ALL women, and their designs, blogs and comments are all similar. The features are so short that there's nothing of value to get out reading it...just stories about women who blog. If you are looking for real business get up and go inspiration and advice it's lite fare.

The author does provide a very small section on different blog software out there but at this point for most of us I think she didn't tell any of us anything we didn't know already. But worse yet there are many options out there that she doesn't even talk mention. She just talks about the Big 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars An artist's perspective..., August 10, 2009
I am professional illustrator and designer who stumbled across this book (having no idea it had just been released) and I simply love it. I have had a blog attached to my online portfolio (Monica Lee Studios) for several years and this book inpsired me to spiff it up AND gave me tutitorials on how to do it. There were tweaks I wanted to make to my blog that I just did not know how to do and this book provided answers! Hooray! Not to mention all the inspirational interviews with creative bloggers that are featured throughout the book.I am excited to sink into to all these new blogs...will I ever actually WORK again?! So this book has a great balance of inspiration and how-to's. Whether you want to start a blog or your current blog needs a shot in the arm, I highly reccomend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazingly Helpful Guide to Blogging!, August 22, 2009
I was particularly interested in Tara Frey's 'Blogging For Bliss' book because I'm interested in creating my own blog to document the meaningful events in my life, and to promote my business.

Tara's book is fabulous because it was easy to read and follow, the illustrations are great, and she offers many wonderful blogging tips. For example, I had been searching for a way to 'frame' my photos in a creative way, and she explains how to do this in a step by step manner.

I highly recommend this book, if you want to be 'with it' in the 21st century!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blogged Down, September 15, 2009
"Blogging for Bliss" is a pretty book with losts of great references to established blogs to check out. Do I have a clue as to how to spiff up my own blog after reading this?? No, not at all. Maybe I'm missing appropriate software. Maybe I'm missing technological savvy. Maybe I just plain do not speak the language. I for sure just did not understand any of the "how to" information.

Rate and Discover Movies