Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

on November 25, 2010
This is two part review coming from different perspectives. If you're a Christian looking for faith affirming metal music, part 1 is for you. If you're not a Christian, Part 2 is for you.

Part 1: The Showdown for sometime has been understood to be a Christian band according to my research. After hearing this CD, I'd have to say that it would be difficult to convict them of being Christians at all. The overt focus on Suicide, Evil, Digging your own grave and Hell makes it difficult find a positive message, an encouraging word, or uplifting thought here. This is the first album from The Showdown that I've purchased, I haven't heard any of the others, if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have purchased it. The most "Christian" lyric appears in the song "Bring it Down" which says, "Respect only to God" but that lyric isn't expounded on much. If you're looking for smart Christian metal with depth, give Project 86 a look...

Part 2: I do have to hand it to The Showdown, I give this album 5 stars from a musical standpoint. The riffs are tight and smart, love the harmonics, and the vocals. The mixing and recording is top notch and I really like the way the drums are miked/processed. The sharp kick bass click reminds me of old Pantera, well done guys. I'm not so much into the death metal growling, but that's just personal preference. I'm in my mid 30's and my metal influences stem back to the mid 80's. I hear strong Zakk Wylde, Pantera, Metallica, Slayer (just a bit), and others.. From a musical standpoint, this is a fantastic metal album that would be worthy in any heavy metal fans library.

I gave this review 3 stars because I expect a bit more from my Christian brothers. 99% of everything I own musically is from Christian bands and when I buy music, I desire a little more depth lyrically than whats here. I must emphasize though that there isn't ONE SINGLE profane word on this album, and I really appreciate that. The Showdown, regardless of your spiritual loyalties, thank you for producing a Metal album devoid profanity and sexual references. That alone is worth high regard.
on October 12, 2010
I've had this for about 3 weeks now and it's left my car stereo for only a few short moments. this cd is absolutely amazing and heavy and F*** even the two slower songs ( Take me home and Digging my own grave ) which are both amazing in there own right, but I can't remember when I listened to a cd this many times over and haven't tired of it yet. there is not one week song on this cd, but I do usually listen to more death metal and thrash, and find it funny or odd that the one song I find myself skipping over from time to time is #3 which i find kind of ironic... but the songs I do love and there are many... A man named Hel - Heavy lies the crown( 2:08- 2:36 ) my favorite stretch of music on the entire cd, heavy as hell catchy and makes me feel like i could tear down a concrete wall with my bear knuckles - Take me home - Blood in the gears... I could seriously put all the songs on this list, but I will keep it at those ones that stick out a little more for me... If you like any sorta metal then you owe it to yourself to buy Blood in the Gears, this cd bleeds metal out of every pore , I've listened to some good cd's this year but this could possibly end up being my favorite one of the entire year... This cd is a beast... nothing drowns out those kids in there decked out $2000 cars playing there Rap and Hip Hop better then this cd... this cd is meant to be played loud with the windows down... enjoy...
on March 6, 2014
The showdown has become one of the most interesting bands to follow. Every album has its own distinct feel while at the same time maintaining its core sound. To tell the truth I'm not even sure which subgenre this would fall into, I believe metalcore or groove metal would be the closest, but in my opinion it's just metal. The funny thing is you don't see too many metal bands out there anymore. I can only think of a handful; God Forbid, Devildriver, Chimaira, Lamb of God. I'm sure there will be people to see this and say "nuh-uh that's speed metal, and that's groove metal, and that's....." Whatever in my book it's just metal. So, if you're a fan of any of those bands please pick this album up. A very solid album from beginning to end, definitely one of my favorites. Even the slower songs catch my ear the right way, and I'm normally a hater on slow songs.
on September 11, 2010
The Showdown have come a long long way. I saw them live back in 2004 and they were energetic and fun but hardly memorable. 2008's "Back Breaker" saw their sound become honed and refined towards the southern rock spectrum and now with "Blood in the Gears," we are treated to some ultra-macho, chest-pounding, riffs-with-rabies Johnny Rebel groove metal the likes of which we've never seen.

The Showdown take nasty, snarling southern riffs and blends them with hardcore energy and urgency, and what comes out of the oven is guaranteed to get every head banging within earshot. There's groove a-plenty, with a little melody and emotion here and there but this isn't soul-baring metalcore. Oh no, this is locked-'n-loaded, leather jacket and metal studs man's man metal. And it is absolutely buck wild. Not the fastest or heaviest fish in the barrel but the energy is so infectious, I can't get it out of my head. You'll hear numerous influences, from Metallica to Pantera to Hatebreed, but this is no copycat. It takes the macho swagger from early 90's thrash and flings in into a 21st century circle pit. If you don't move to this, you are comatose.
on March 3, 2016
This album was a bit of a disappointment, coming after the excellent Back Breaker. I mean, I knew going in that Back Breaker was probably the high water mark of their career, but I didn't expect the quality to drop quite so much as it did. Most of the lyrics on this album are just plain stupid. The Showdown lyrics have never been the most eloquent, but still I do expect a lot more from them than what they delivered here. Musically, it's not much better. The music seems like a strange fusion of Temptation Come My Way and Back Breaker, which just doesn't work 95% of the time. Sure, there are a few songs where it works pretty well (The Crooked Path, Graveyard of Empires, and Evil Eye to be specific) but on the majority of them, it just feels wrong. Do yourself a favor, forget about this and get Back Breaker. Or if you already have Back Breaker, then still forget about this and pretend that they stopped making music after that.
on September 5, 2010
Another solid album from a unique band that seems to navigate through hard rock to death metal. It's unclear what to expect from The showdown each album being a different style from grind core, hard rock and glam, death metal all describe the albums of this band. And once again they change things up on blood in the gears. This album manuvers through all the genres of their past albums in a fun hook driven listen. If you like it all this is the album for you. The only reason I didn't give it the full five stars is that its not an album you can listen to according to what your in the mood for but instead you must be in the mood for everthing.
on January 6, 2012
This is by far the best Showdown album- and I've been a fan since the beginning- like the VERY beginning. I cannot get these riffs and hooks out of my head! The production quality kicks a**! This album is emotional, disturbing, beautiful, comedic, jolting, juicing, jabbing, bolting, violent, spiritual, metal, heartfelt, genuine, and amazing. Buy it. Now.
on September 21, 2010
This is a really good album. Great vocals, guitar, bass, and drums. These guys are good at what they do. If you want a heavy metal album with a huge set of balls. Then buy this album. All the songs sound different and have a different flavor and pace. The intro sets the stage for a beautiful masterpiece called Blood In The Gears.
on January 25, 2011
One of the best slabs of metal I've ever heard. I have all of their albums and these guys never dissapoint, but this outing is near heavy metal perfection. This is everything that Pantera wanted to be. One of the finest bands on the circut right now, few can touch them. Blood in the gears has stellar production values and the guitar and drum tones are nothing short of monsterous. Songwriting that constantly keeps your attention and takes you to new heights at every turn. Can not recommend this album enough.
on September 16, 2010
This album is amazing from start to finish. I havn't been this excited since a Pantera release. This is biker metal, check out their video for "A man named hell". Excellent faster paced metal in the vein of Pantera mixed with some slower paced southern type metal. You will not regret buying this. Enjoy rocking out!